|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ann represented _____________________ in her friendship with Lucy.
(a) The devil's advocate.
(b) The mother figure.
(c) The godmother.
(d) The sister figure.
2. What was a major flaw in the Yaddo accommodations?
(a) Noisy neighbors.
(b) No central air conditioning.
(c) A leaky roof.
(d) Only one phone line.
3. Why did Ann need to find an apartment in Iowa City, Iowa?
(a) She got a job in Iowa.
(b) Her husband was transferred.
(c) She was going to attend the Iowa Writers' Workshop.
(d) She wanted to be close to her family again.
4. In which magazine did an article about Lucy appear?
(b) The New Yorker.
5. How did Lucy feel about Aberdeen?
(a) She could take it or leave it.
(b) She loved it.
(c) She hated it.
(d) She never felt safe there.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Ann moved in 1991, she dated a/an____________.
2. Ann was amazed at Lucy's autobiographical essay about _____________________.
3. In what country was Lucy born?
4. In what European city did Lucy live to have more surgery?
5. What was Terezin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the fortune teller tell Lucy that devastated her?
2. What is shared about Lucy's childhood in Chapter 3?
3. How did Ann come to know Lucy Grealy, and what circumstances made them roommates in Iowa?
4. Why did Lucy hate Aberdeen and what did Ann think about it when she visited Lucy there?
5. What did Lucy find strength in what made her consider writing non-fiction instead of fiction?
6. How did Ann and Lucy view writing at this point in their lives?
7. Why was Lucy happy when Ann broke up with Dennis?
8. By what standard did Ann measure success in her life?
9. How did Ann's insecurities surface, especially in the incident with the philanthropist adviser?
10. Why was Lucy's life such an anomaly?
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)