|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Tring learns Kreutz's secrets, what order does Tring give Kreutz?
2. After he reveals the secrets, what does Kreutz tell Tring he is ready to do?
3. About what is Pan Andrew troubled after help is summoned?
4. In Chapter 11, to whom does the author say Pan Andrew's treasure is to go?
5. What is the name of Peter of the Button Face's assistant when they attack the church?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Peter and his men are arrested and Joseph returns to the tower in Chapter 12, what is it that confuses Pan Andrew?
2. When Tring puts Kreutz into a trance in Chapter 13, what important information does Kreutz give to Tring?
3. As of 1928, as described in the Epilogue, why do people go to the city of Krakow?
4. What sounds does the Epilogue say one hears coming from the church?
5. Describe the chief glory of the city of Krakow as it is explained in the Epilogue.
6. Describe how the Epilogue explains the Heynal is played.
7. Explain what happens after Kreutz grabs the crystal from the king's hands.
8. Explain what happens to the Charnetski family at the end of Chapter 16.
9. Describe the Vistula River as it is explained in the Epilogue.
10. What is the threat Peter of the Button Face gives to Joseph before Michael the Snake takes Joseph from the tower in Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses both foreshadowing and suspense throughout the book. Explain which one is more effective as a literary device, which one you enjoy reading more, and reasons why.
Essay Topic 2
What are the life lessons that the author is trying to teach throughout this novel? Do you think this kind of teaching can make an impact on a young person today?
Essay Topic 3
In portraying the bravery of Elzbietka, do you think the author is trying to prove that women are equal to men? Or, do you think that the author was simply trying to use the younger characters to serve as the saviors of Pan Andrew's life? Why or why not?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)