|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Peter of the Button Face's hair?
2. About what is Pan Andrew troubled after help is summoned?
3. What other important piece of information does Pan Andrew provide when at the palace?
4. In Chapter 13, what does Kreutz put in the middle of the room?
5. Why is Tring angry with the information from Kreutz about his mental state?
Short Essay Questions
1. As of 1928, as described in the Epilogue, why do people go to the city of Krakow?
2. What is the ancient legend of Krakus?
3. Explain what happens to the Charnetski family at the end of Chapter 16.
4. When Jan Kanty arrives at the tower with Kreutz in Chapter 14, what does Pan Andrew observe?
5. After Peter and his men are arrested and Joseph returns to the tower in Chapter 12, what is it that confuses Pan Andrew?
6. Describe how the Epilogue explains the Heynal is played.
7. Describe the chief glory of the city of Krakow as it is explained in the Epilogue.
8. What does Peter of the Button Face do to break into the tower in Chapter 11?
9. What does Pan Andrew tell the king about the Great Tarnov Crystal in Chapter 15?
10. When Elzbietka hears the Heynal played in its entirety as described in Chapter 12, where is she and what does she do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do you feel about the fact that Elzbietka cannot study at the University because she is female? Did this add to the plot line? Does it seem strange that Joseph doesn't know the reason for her not being allowed to study? Why would the author have handled this particular issue in this manner?
Essay Topic 2
What historical understanding about the Middle Ages did you gain from reading this novel? Do you think that this type of history presentation is an effective way of teaching the subject matter? Why or why not? Would you have preferred to learn about Krakow from a text book?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast culture and academics in Krakow in 1462 with the culture and academics in Krakow in 1928 at the time of the author's writing. Are they all that different? Why do you think that modern culture has roots that extend to times of centuries gone by?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)