|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Pan Andrew arrives home after the explosions, what does he find?
2. What makes the leader of the twelve men shriek and tremble?
3. Once Peter and his men are in the tower, what confuses Pan Andrew and Joseph?
4. What does Pan Andrew ask Joseph to do during the fire?
5. What best describes the statues in the Church of Our Lady Mary?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what happens after Kreutz grabs the crystal from the king's hands.
2. Describe the Vistula River as it is explained in the Epilogue.
3. What does Peter of the Button Face say to the king regarding why he is in Krakow in Chapter 15?
4. In Chapter 10, Peter of the Button Face is scared as he watches red balls of fire fall. Despite his fear, what does he do?
5. When Kreutz reveals that he has the crystal in Chapter 14, describe his feelings.
6. Who leaves the tower to fight the fire and who fills in for him in Chapter 14?
7. Explain what happens to the Charnetski family at the end of Chapter 16.
8. In Chapter 10, what happens on the rickety stairway that leads to the Charnetski family apartment?
9. As of 1928, as described in the Epilogue, why do people go to the city of Krakow?
10. In Chapter 13, what is Tring's reaction when he sees the Great Tarnov Crystal in the middle of Kreutz's loft?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author emphasizes the importance of tradition in the lives of the Polish and Ukrainian people. Why do you think the author emphasized tradition in the novel? Was he just accurately describing the priorities of Polish people, or are there elements of symbolism apparent?
Essay Topic 2
In portraying the bravery of Elzbietka, do you think the author is trying to prove that women are equal to men? Or, do you think that the author was simply trying to use the younger characters to serve as the saviors of Pan Andrew's life? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the author presents the social class structure in Krakow in 1461. Does the author's description of these social classes sound like it was an effective way of conducting society? Does his description make it sound like an individual could easily change social classes? Give examples to support your conclusion.
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)