|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the best description of Krakow at the time the novel was written?
2. What makes the leader of the twelve men shriek and tremble?
3. Once help is summoned in Chapter 12, what happens?
4. What instrument is playing in the church in the Epilogue?
5. What does the inside of the Church of Our Lady Mary look like?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what happens to the Charnetski family at the end of Chapter 16.
2. What does Peter of the Button Face do to break into the tower in Chapter 11?
3. What does the inside of the Church of Our Lady Mary look like?
4. What sounds does the Epilogue say one hears coming from the church?
5. When Jan Kanty arrives at the tower with Kreutz in Chapter 14, what does Pan Andrew observe?
6. As Peter tries to escape in Chapter 10, what does Kreutz do?
7. Who leaves the tower to fight the fire and who fills in for him in Chapter 14?
8. When Elzbietka hears the Heynal played in its entirety as described in Chapter 12, where is she and what does she do?
9. In Chapter 10, Peter of the Button Face is scared as he watches red balls of fire fall. Despite his fear, what does he do?
10. What happens when Kreutz actually mixes the ingredients to make the Philosopher's Stone in Chapter 13?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the life lessons that the author is trying to teach throughout this novel? Do you think this kind of teaching can make an impact on a young person today?
Essay Topic 2
Does the author provide insight into why so many people believed in superstition or the black arts, or is the reader left wondering why it was so important to the people in the novel? Was this a satisfying way to address the issue or do you wish the author would have handled it differently?
Essay Topic 3
How does the fact that the peasants' dependence upon agriculture as described in the book exacerbates the conflict between superstition and science in the novel?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)