|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has a Russian ruler offered the stranger in return for something he wants?
2. What preparations does Kreutz make in his apartment after he hears the instructions given to Stas?
3. While in the caravan, which of the stranger's orders does Joseph Charnetski follow?
4. When is the broken note first played?
5. At the palace gate, what suggestion does the guard give to Pan Andrew?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the oath that the trumpeter takes.
2. Explain how the Polish people feel as they have to leave their villages because they know the Tartars are arriving.
3. Explain why many people seek Jan Kanty's advice.
4. In Chapter 1, after the stranger offers to buy the item sitting in Pan Andrew's wagon, what happens?
5. In Chapter 8, Stas identifies Joseph and Elzbietka to a stranger. What information does he provide to the stranger?
6. Explain the feelings of the trumpeter as he plays for the last time.
7. Describe the caravan from Chapter 1.
8. What does Pan Andrew explain to Jan Kanty in Chapter 4 once the mob scene has dissipated?
9. What are the aspects of Pan Andrew's job?
10. How does Peter of the Button Face plan to break into Pan Andrew's apartment and steal the treasure in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think that Peter of the Button Face's bargain with the king was fair? Do you think the king should have let Peter go in exchange for information? Or do you think he should have punished him more severely? Why do you think the king would have believed that Peter would never return to Poland again?
Essay Topic 2
In portraying the bravery of Elzbietka, do you think the author is trying to prove that women are equal to men? Or, do you think that the author was simply trying to use the younger characters to serve as the saviors of Pan Andrew's life? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Joseph's bravery. Does his character description make for an exciting hero? Is his character believable? Are there other characters who show bravery that you preferred in the novel? Why or why not?
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)