Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Joseph Charnetski?
2. When Jan Kanty hears Joseph tell his parents that he found a place for them to stay, on what does Jan Kanty insist?
3. When Joseph and Elzbietka turn on to the Street of Pigeons after Elzbietka's question about women studying, who identifies them to someone else?
4. Where does Joseph find his family a place to stay?
5. In taking the job, what does Pan Andrew promise to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pan Andrew explain to Jan Kanty in Chapter 4 once the mob scene has dissipated?
2. Describe the caravan from Chapter 1.
3. When Elzbietka hears the Heynal played in its entirety as described in Chapter 12, where is she and what does she do?
4. Why does Joseph catch the wolf dog in Chapter 2?
5. As of 1928, as described in the Epilogue, why do people go to the city of Krakow?
6. When Tring puts Kreutz into a trance in Chapter 13, what important information does Kreutz give to Tring?
7. What does Peter of the Button Face do to break into the tower in Chapter 11?
8. After Peter and his men are arrested and Joseph returns to the tower in Chapter 12, what is it that confuses Pan Andrew?
9. In Chapter 9, is Peter of the Button Face successful in obtaining the treasure?
10. Why do the Polish people decide not to defend Krakow and let the Tartars pillage their city?
Essay Topic 1
What historical understanding about the Middle Ages did you gain from reading this novel? Do you think that this type of history presentation is an effective way of teaching the subject matter? Why or why not? Would you have preferred to learn about Krakow from a text book?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss what you think is the climax of the novel. Does more than one climax exist? Which do you think is the most effective? As you were reading, did you think that the book was almost over? Was the multiple use of exciting scenes effective in making the novel exciting for the reader?
Essay Topic 3
How do you feel about the fact that Elzbietka cannot study at the University because she is female? Did this add to the plot line? Does it seem strange that Joseph doesn't know the reason for her not being allowed to study? Why would the author have handled this particular issue in this manner?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)