|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Despite the fact that he knows he might die as he faces the Tartars in 1241, what does the trumpeter decide to do?
2. Krakow welcomes which group of people?
3. What ultimately happens to the trumpeter in 1241?
4. When Joseph first hears the trumpeter play from the Church of Our Lady Mary, what surprises him?
5. Why do the men in the caravan carry weapons?
Short Essay Questions
1. Provide some characteristics of the new lodgings for the Charnetski family.
2. Explain how the Polish people feel as they have to leave their villages because they know the Tartars are arriving.
3. Describe the caravan from Chapter 1.
4. Why do the Polish people decide not to defend Krakow and let the Tartars pillage their city?
5. How does Joseph know that the stranger is an enemy in Chapter 1?
6. Describe the agreement that Elzbietka and Joseph make to one another when in the tower in Chapter 8.
7. What does Pan Andrew explain to Jan Kanty in Chapter 4 once the mob scene has dissipated?
8. In Chapter 1, after the stranger offers to buy the item sitting in Pan Andrew's wagon, what happens?
9. Describe the tower from which Pan Andrew has to perform his job.
10. Explain the feelings of the trumpeter as he plays for the last time.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Did you like the author's use of science as he describes how Kreutz frightens Peter of the Button Face with the explosions? Why or why not? Was this combination of attacking with science believable? Was it consistent with the belief in magic at the time? Or do you think this scene was used by the author to prove that science triumphs over superstition and sorcery? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In portraying the bravery of Elzbietka, do you think the author is trying to prove that women are equal to men? Or, do you think that the author was simply trying to use the younger characters to serve as the saviors of Pan Andrew's life? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What do you think about the throwing of the crystal into the river? Why do you think the author concludes in this manner? Do you think the act of throwing the crystal away is symbolism for a cultural belief? If so, what do you think that symbolism is?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)