|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While in the caravan, which of the stranger's orders does Joseph Charnetski follow?
2. By what name do the Polish people know the stranger?
3. Chapter 1 begins in what month and year?
4. When the stranger gives Stas instructions in Chapter 9, what is Stas' only task?
5. What is the new last name of the Charnetski family?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Tring puts Kreutz into a trance in Chapter 13, what important information does Kreutz give to Tring?
2. Why do the Polish people decide not to defend Krakow and let the Tartars pillage their city?
3. When Jan Kanty arrives at the tower with Kreutz in Chapter 14, what does Pan Andrew observe?
4. As Peter tries to escape in Chapter 10, what does Kreutz do?
5. In Chapter 7, on the night that Elzbietka tells Joseph that Johann Tring is with her uncle, what else does she tell him about Kreutz?
6. Provide some characteristics of the new lodgings for the Charnetski family.
7. List some of the things that Joseph sees and hears as he first sets his sights on the city in Chapter 2.
8. When Elzbietka hears the Heynal played in its entirety as described in Chapter 12, where is she and what does she do?
9. What does Pan Andrew explain to Jan Kanty in Chapter 4 once the mob scene has dissipated?
10. In Chapter 1, after the stranger offers to buy the item sitting in Pan Andrew's wagon, what happens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Based on your understanding of the character of the Tartar people as described in the novel, why do you think the Tartars did not succeed as a nation? What contributed to their downfall? In the novel, does it seem like they are a powerful group or can you tell that they are going to experience a downfall?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses both foreshadowing and suspense throughout the book. Explain which one is more effective as a literary device, which one you enjoy reading more, and reasons why.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Nicholas Kreutz and Johann Tring. Is Johann Tring truly evil, or does he just misunderstand the power of superstition? Why do you think the author portrays Kreutz as powerless against the trances of Tring? Do you think the author should have handled this conflict differently?
This section contains 1,698 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)