|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pan Andrew say to Joseph when Joseph asks what is lighting up the room?
2. Who lives below the Charnetskis?
3. Why is Jan Kanty well respected in Krakow?
4. After his father's job is secured, what does Joseph learn he will be doing?
5. What is the most accurate description of the Tartars' appearance?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what Joseph Charnetski does and what he realizes when the stranger initially rides up to him while in the caravan in Chapter 1.
2. Why does Joseph catch the wolf dog in Chapter 2?
3. Explain how the Polish people feel as they have to leave their villages because they know the Tartars are arriving.
4. Describe the agreement that Elzbietka and Joseph make to one another when in the tower in Chapter 8.
5. What does the reader learn about the stranger in Chapter 8?
6. Explain why many people seek Jan Kanty's advice.
7. List some of the things that Joseph sees and hears as he first sets his sights on the city in Chapter 2.
8. What are some of the things that Joseph notices when he spies on Tring and Kreutz in Chapter 7?
9. How does Joseph know that the stranger is an enemy in Chapter 1?
10. Describe the tower from which Pan Andrew has to perform his job.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the life lessons that the author is trying to teach throughout this novel? Do you think this kind of teaching can make an impact on a young person today?
Essay Topic 2
What do you think about the throwing of the crystal into the river? Why do you think the author concludes in this manner? Do you think the act of throwing the crystal away is symbolism for a cultural belief? If so, what do you think that symbolism is?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss what you think is the climax of the novel. Does more than one climax exist? Which do you think is the most effective? As you were reading, did you think that the book was almost over? Was the multiple use of exciting scenes effective in making the novel exciting for the reader?
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)