|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joseph Charnetski see as he is riding in the back of the wagon while in the caravan?
2. What is unusual about one of the wagons in the caravan?
3. What is the most accurate description of the Tartars' appearance?
4. What is the scene Joseph sees when he first goes to explore the marketplace?
5. When Jan Kanty hears Joseph tell his parents that he found a place for them to stay, on what does Jan Kanty insist?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how the city of Krakow reacts to the villagers fleeing.
2. Describe why the last note the trumpeter plays is broken.
3. Describe the oath that the trumpeter takes.
4. Explain how the Polish people feel as they have to leave their villages because they know the Tartars are arriving.
5. In Chapter 4, what occurs when the Charnetski family accompanies Jan Kanty to his home?
6. How does Peter of the Button Face plan to break into Pan Andrew's apartment and steal the treasure in Chapter 9?
7. Why do the Polish people decide not to defend Krakow and let the Tartars pillage their city?
8. Explain the feelings of the trumpeter as he plays for the last time.
9. Describe the caravan from Chapter 1.
10. List some of the things that Joseph sees and hears as he first sets his sights on the city in Chapter 2.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does the author provide insight into why so many people believed in superstition or the black arts, or is the reader left wondering why it was so important to the people in the novel? Was this a satisfying way to address the issue or do you wish the author would have handled it differently?
Essay Topic 2
Do you think that Peter of the Button Face's bargain with the king was fair? Do you think the king should have let Peter go in exchange for information? Or do you think he should have punished him more severely? Why do you think the king would have believed that Peter would never return to Poland again?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss what you think is the climax of the novel. Does more than one climax exist? Which do you think is the most effective? As you were reading, did you think that the book was almost over? Was the multiple use of exciting scenes effective in making the novel exciting for the reader?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)