|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By what name do the Polish people know the stranger?
2. What is the trumpeter thinking when he sees the fierce men looking up at him after the attack on Krakow?
3. When Joseph and Elzbietka turn on to the Street of Pigeons after Elzbietka's question about women studying, who identifies them to someone else?
4. Who accompanies the Charnetski family and Jan Kanty to their new dwelling in Chapter 5?
5. Who tries to steal something from the Charnetski apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the people of Poland feel when they hear that the Tartars are marching toward their land?
2. Explain how the Polish people feel as they have to leave their villages because they know the Tartars are arriving.
3. Describe the agreement that Elzbietka and Joseph make to one another when in the tower in Chapter 8.
4. In Chapter 8, Stas identifies Joseph and Elzbietka to a stranger. What information does he provide to the stranger?
5. Why does Joseph catch the wolf dog in Chapter 2?
6. Describe why the last note the trumpeter plays is broken.
7. Explain why many people seek Jan Kanty's advice.
8. In Chapter 1, after the stranger offers to buy the item sitting in Pan Andrew's wagon, what happens?
9. What are some of the things that Joseph notices when he spies on Tring and Kreutz in Chapter 7?
10. In Chapter 9, is Peter of the Button Face successful in obtaining the treasure?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the author presents the social class structure in Krakow in 1461. Does the author's description of these social classes sound like it was an effective way of conducting society? Does his description make it sound like an individual could easily change social classes? Give examples to support your conclusion.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses both foreshadowing and suspense throughout the book. Explain which one is more effective as a literary device, which one you enjoy reading more, and reasons why.
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think the author used both fictional and non-fictional characters in the novel? Do you think it is confusing to combine true and made up characters? If you were tasked with writing a historical fiction novel, would you do it the same way that this author did? Why or why not?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)