|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What valuable information does Stas give to the stranger about Joseph's family?
2. Which best describes the Tartars' religious belief?
3. At the palace gate, what suggestion does the guard give to Pan Andrew?
4. What is the stranger's real name?
5. What do the people do when they hear the Tartars' approach in 1241?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Joseph know that the stranger is an enemy in Chapter 1?
2. List some of the things that Joseph sees and hears as he first sets his sights on the city in Chapter 2.
3. Describe why the last note the trumpeter plays is broken.
4. Describe the caravan from Chapter 1.
5. Explain what Joseph Charnetski does and what he realizes when the stranger initially rides up to him while in the caravan in Chapter 1.
6. Describe the tower from which Pan Andrew has to perform his job.
7. In Chapter 8, Stas identifies Joseph and Elzbietka to a stranger. What information does he provide to the stranger?
8. Provide some characteristics of the new lodgings for the Charnetski family.
9. How does Peter of the Button Face plan to break into Pan Andrew's apartment and steal the treasure in Chapter 9?
10. What does Pan Andrew explain to Jan Kanty in Chapter 4 once the mob scene has dissipated?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Did you like the author's use of science as he describes how Kreutz frightens Peter of the Button Face with the explosions? Why or why not? Was this combination of attacking with science believable? Was it consistent with the belief in magic at the time? Or do you think this scene was used by the author to prove that science triumphs over superstition and sorcery? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast culture and academics in Krakow in 1462 with the culture and academics in Krakow in 1928 at the time of the author's writing. Are they all that different? Why do you think that modern culture has roots that extend to times of centuries gone by?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses both foreshadowing and suspense throughout the book. Explain which one is more effective as a literary device, which one you enjoy reading more, and reasons why.
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)