|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Joseph hear the Tartars praying?
2. What is the scene Joseph sees when he first goes to explore the marketplace?
3. Who lives below the Charnetskis?
4. What does Elzbietka confess to Joseph in Chapter 8?
5. As the Charnetskis are waiting to see their apartment for the first time, which activity of Jan Kanty's do they witness?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Tartars.
2. Why does Joseph catch the wolf dog in Chapter 2?
3. In Chapter 7, on the night that Elzbietka tells Joseph that Johann Tring is with her uncle, what else does she tell him about Kreutz?
4. Describe the tower from which Pan Andrew has to perform his job.
5. How does Joseph know that the stranger is an enemy in Chapter 1?
6. Explain why many people seek Jan Kanty's advice.
7. Explain how the Polish people feel as they have to leave their villages because they know the Tartars are arriving.
8. In Chapter 5, when Kanty and the Charnetski family go to the lodgings Joseph has found, what do they witness on their way?
9. In Chapter 4, what occurs when the Charnetski family accompanies Jan Kanty to his home?
10. In Chapter 1, after the stranger offers to buy the item sitting in Pan Andrew's wagon, what happens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author emphasizes the importance of tradition in the lives of the Polish and Ukrainian people. Why do you think the author emphasized tradition in the novel? Was he just accurately describing the priorities of Polish people, or are there elements of symbolism apparent?
Essay Topic 2
How does the fact that the peasants' dependence upon agriculture as described in the book exacerbates the conflict between superstition and science in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think the author used both fictional and non-fictional characters in the novel? Do you think it is confusing to combine true and made up characters? If you were tasked with writing a historical fiction novel, would you do it the same way that this author did? Why or why not?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)