|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ultimately happens to the trumpeter in 1241?
2. Who lives above the Charnetskis?
3. Who tries to steal something from the Charnetski apartment?
4. When Joseph awakens from his nap in Chapter 4, what does he see his father doing?
5. When Joseph first hears the trumpeter play from the Church of Our Lady Mary, what surprises him?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 5, when Kanty and the Charnetski family go to the lodgings Joseph has found, what do they witness on their way?
2. What are some of the things that Joseph notices when he spies on Tring and Kreutz in Chapter 7?
3. Why do the Polish people decide not to defend Krakow and let the Tartars pillage their city?
4. What is Joseph's father being accused of in Chapter 3?
5. What are the aspects of Pan Andrew's job?
6. In Chapter 8, Stas identifies Joseph and Elzbietka to a stranger. What information does he provide to the stranger?
7. Explain the feelings of the trumpeter as he plays for the last time.
8. What was the meeting between Joseph and Stas like in the courtyard as described in Chapter 6?
9. List some of the things that Joseph sees and hears as he first sets his sights on the city in Chapter 2.
10. Describe the tower from which Pan Andrew has to perform his job.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the conflict between superstition and science in the novel. Do you think this was an important issue to the author? What is he trying to portray by returning to this conflict? Does the conflict seem relevant to the main theme of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
What do you think about the throwing of the crystal into the river? Why do you think the author concludes in this manner? Do you think the act of throwing the crystal away is symbolism for a cultural belief? If so, what do you think that symbolism is?
Essay Topic 3
How does the fact that the peasants' dependence upon agriculture as described in the book exacerbates the conflict between superstition and science in the novel?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)