|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After his heroic act, to whom does Joseph confide in about his family's situation?
2. When Joseph returns to the marketplace to give his family the news about their possible lodgings, what is the scene he sees?
3. Why do the men in the caravan carry weapons?
4. Which two cities do the Tartars attack before they invade Poland?
5. After hearing Pan Andrew's story, what advice does Jan Kanty provide?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the feelings of the trumpeter as he plays for the last time.
2. In Chapter 8, Stas identifies Joseph and Elzbietka to a stranger. What information does he provide to the stranger?
3. What are some of the things that Joseph notices when he spies on Tring and Kreutz in Chapter 7?
4. In Chapter 5, when Kanty and the Charnetski family go to the lodgings Joseph has found, what do they witness on their way?
5. Describe why the last note the trumpeter plays is broken.
6. What does the reader learn about the stranger in Chapter 8?
7. In Chapter 2, what does Pan Andrew Charnetski tell the guard when he arrives at the palace gates and what is the guard's response?
8. What was the meeting between Joseph and Stas like in the courtyard as described in Chapter 6?
9. Describe the tower from which Pan Andrew has to perform his job.
10. Explain what Joseph Charnetski does and what he realizes when the stranger initially rides up to him while in the caravan in Chapter 1.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In portraying the bravery of Elzbietka, do you think the author is trying to prove that women are equal to men? Or, do you think that the author was simply trying to use the younger characters to serve as the saviors of Pan Andrew's life? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast culture and academics in Krakow in 1462 with the culture and academics in Krakow in 1928 at the time of the author's writing. Are they all that different? Why do you think that modern culture has roots that extend to times of centuries gone by?
Essay Topic 3
What are the life lessons that the author is trying to teach throughout this novel? Do you think this kind of teaching can make an impact on a young person today?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)