|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the palace gate, what suggestion does the guard give to Pan Andrew?
2. As he ponders the attack on Krakow, of what is the trumpeter proud?
3. After Jan Kanty meets the Charnetski family for the first time, what does Pan Andrew explain to Jan Kanty?
4. After Joseph tells Elzbietka what he will do if attacked, what does Elzbietka promise?
5. After his father's job is secured, what does Joseph learn he will be doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the caravan from Chapter 1.
2. What is Joseph's father being accused of in Chapter 3?
3. Why does Joseph catch the wolf dog in Chapter 2?
4. In Chapter 8, Stas identifies Joseph and Elzbietka to a stranger. What information does he provide to the stranger?
5. In Chapter 4, what occurs when the Charnetski family accompanies Jan Kanty to his home?
6. Explain how the city of Krakow reacts to the villagers fleeing.
7. Why do the Polish people decide not to defend Krakow and let the Tartars pillage their city?
8. List some of the things that Joseph sees and hears as he first sets his sights on the city in Chapter 2.
9. Describe the oath that the trumpeter takes.
10. What are some of the things that Joseph notices when he spies on Tring and Kreutz in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast culture and academics in Krakow in 1462 with the culture and academics in Krakow in 1928 at the time of the author's writing. Are they all that different? Why do you think that modern culture has roots that extend to times of centuries gone by?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the conflict between superstition and science in the novel. Do you think this was an important issue to the author? What is he trying to portray by returning to this conflict? Does the conflict seem relevant to the main theme of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
How does the fact that the peasants' dependence upon agriculture as described in the book exacerbates the conflict between superstition and science in the novel?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)