Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Joseph Charnetski?
2. When Jan Kanty hears Joseph tell his parents that he found a place for them to stay, on what does Jan Kanty insist?
3. When Joseph and Elzbietka turn on to the Street of Pigeons after Elzbietka's question about women studying, who identifies them to someone else?
4. Where does Joseph find his family a place to stay?
5. In taking the job, what does Pan Andrew promise to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pan Andrew explain to Jan Kanty in Chapter 4 once the mob scene has dissipated?
2. Describe the caravan from Chapter 1.
3. When Elzbietka hears the Heynal played in its entirety as described in Chapter 12, where is she and what does she do?
4. Why does Joseph catch the wolf dog in Chapter 2?
5. As of 1928, as described in the Epilogue, why do people go to the city of Krakow?
6. When Tring puts Kreutz into a trance in Chapter 13, what important information does Kreutz give to Tring?
7. What does Peter of the Button Face do to break into the tower in Chapter 11?
8. After Peter and his men are arrested and Joseph returns to the tower in Chapter 12, what is it that confuses Pan Andrew?
9. In Chapter 9, is Peter of the Button Face successful in obtaining the treasure?
10. Why do the Polish people decide not to defend Krakow and let the Tartars pillage their city?
Essay Topic 1
The author emphasizes the importance of tradition in the lives of the Polish and Ukrainian people. Why do you think the author emphasized tradition in the novel? Was he just accurately describing the priorities of Polish people, or are there elements of symbolism apparent?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think the author used both fictional and non-fictional characters in the novel? Do you think it is confusing to combine true and made up characters? If you were tasked with writing a historical fiction novel, would you do it the same way that this author did? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Do you think that Peter of the Button Face's bargain with the king was fair? Do you think the king should have let Peter go in exchange for information? Or do you think he should have punished him more severely? Why do you think the king would have believed that Peter would never return to Poland again?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)