|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Joseph Charnetski?
2. After his heroic act, to whom does Joseph confide in about his family's situation?
3. After hearing Pan Andrew's story, what advice does Jan Kanty provide?
4. In Chapter 2, whom does Pan Andrew say he has to come to see?
5. Which best describes the Tartars' religious belief?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how the city of Krakow reacts to the villagers fleeing.
2. Describe why the last note the trumpeter plays is broken.
3. Provide some characteristics of the new lodgings for the Charnetski family.
4. In Chapter 7, on the night that Elzbietka tells Joseph that Johann Tring is with her uncle, what else does she tell him about Kreutz?
5. What was the meeting between Joseph and Stas like in the courtyard as described in Chapter 6?
6. In Chapter 1, after the stranger offers to buy the item sitting in Pan Andrew's wagon, what happens?
7. How does Joseph know that the stranger is an enemy in Chapter 1?
8. Describe the caravan from Chapter 1.
9. In Chapter 2, what does Pan Andrew Charnetski tell the guard when he arrives at the palace gates and what is the guard's response?
10. What is Joseph's father being accused of in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Did you like the author's use of science as he describes how Kreutz frightens Peter of the Button Face with the explosions? Why or why not? Was this combination of attacking with science believable? Was it consistent with the belief in magic at the time? Or do you think this scene was used by the author to prove that science triumphs over superstition and sorcery? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The author emphasizes the importance of tradition in the lives of the Polish and Ukrainian people. Why do you think the author emphasized tradition in the novel? Was he just accurately describing the priorities of Polish people, or are there elements of symbolism apparent?
Essay Topic 3
In portraying the bravery of Elzbietka, do you think the author is trying to prove that women are equal to men? Or, do you think that the author was simply trying to use the younger characters to serve as the saviors of Pan Andrew's life? Why or why not?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)