|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Joseph Charnetski?
2. When Jan Kanty hears Joseph tell his parents that he found a place for them to stay, on what does Jan Kanty insist?
3. When Joseph and Elzbietka turn on to the Street of Pigeons after Elzbietka's question about women studying, who identifies them to someone else?
4. Where does Joseph find his family a place to stay?
5. In taking the job, what does Pan Andrew promise to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pan Andrew explain to Jan Kanty in Chapter 4 once the mob scene has dissipated?
2. Describe the caravan from Chapter 1.
3. When Elzbietka hears the Heynal played in its entirety as described in Chapter 12, where is she and what does she do?
4. Why does Joseph catch the wolf dog in Chapter 2?
5. As of 1928, as described in the Epilogue, why do people go to the city of Krakow?
6. When Tring puts Kreutz into a trance in Chapter 13, what important information does Kreutz give to Tring?
7. What does Peter of the Button Face do to break into the tower in Chapter 11?
8. After Peter and his men are arrested and Joseph returns to the tower in Chapter 12, what is it that confuses Pan Andrew?
9. In Chapter 9, is Peter of the Button Face successful in obtaining the treasure?
10. Why do the Polish people decide not to defend Krakow and let the Tartars pillage their city?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the conflict between superstition and science in the novel. Do you think this was an important issue to the author? What is he trying to portray by returning to this conflict? Does the conflict seem relevant to the main theme of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Did you like the author's use of science as he describes how Kreutz frightens Peter of the Button Face with the explosions? Why or why not? Was this combination of attacking with science believable? Was it consistent with the belief in magic at the time? Or do you think this scene was used by the author to prove that science triumphs over superstition and sorcery? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses both foreshadowing and suspense throughout the book. Explain which one is more effective as a literary device, which one you enjoy reading more, and reasons why.
This section contains 1,755 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)