Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Joseph Charnetski?
2. When Jan Kanty hears Joseph tell his parents that he found a place for them to stay, on what does Jan Kanty insist?
3. When Joseph and Elzbietka turn on to the Street of Pigeons after Elzbietka's question about women studying, who identifies them to someone else?
4. Where does Joseph find his family a place to stay?
5. In taking the job, what does Pan Andrew promise to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pan Andrew explain to Jan Kanty in Chapter 4 once the mob scene has dissipated?
2. Describe the caravan from Chapter 1.
3. When Elzbietka hears the Heynal played in its entirety as described in Chapter 12, where is she and what does she do?
4. Why does Joseph catch the wolf dog in Chapter 2?
5. As of 1928, as described in the Epilogue, why do people go to the city of Krakow?
6. When Tring puts Kreutz into a trance in Chapter 13, what important information does Kreutz give to Tring?
7. What does Peter of the Button Face do to break into the tower in Chapter 11?
8. After Peter and his men are arrested and Joseph returns to the tower in Chapter 12, what is it that confuses Pan Andrew?
9. In Chapter 9, is Peter of the Button Face successful in obtaining the treasure?
10. Why do the Polish people decide not to defend Krakow and let the Tartars pillage their city?
Essay Topic 1
In portraying the bravery of Elzbietka, do you think the author is trying to prove that women are equal to men? Or, do you think that the author was simply trying to use the younger characters to serve as the saviors of Pan Andrew's life? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Based on your understanding of the character of the Tartar people as described in the novel, why do you think the Tartars did not succeed as a nation? What contributed to their downfall? In the novel, does it seem like they are a powerful group or can you tell that they are going to experience a downfall?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Joseph's bravery. Does his character description make for an exciting hero? Is his character believable? Are there other characters who show bravery that you preferred in the novel? Why or why not?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)