|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which statement best describes what happens to Joseph at the end of the novel?
(a) He decides to not finish his studies in order to marry Elzbietka.
(b) He helps to rebuild the city of Krakow.
(c) He finishes his studies at the University of Krakow and marries Elzbietka.
(d) He stays at the University and teaches with Jan Kanty.
2. What does the inside of the Church of Our Lady Mary look like?
(a) A church covered in marble.
(b) A church covered in statues.
(c) A plain, unadorned church.
(d) It has exquisite wood carvings and a vaulted roof of sky blue studded with stars.
3. What best describes the statues in the Church of Our Lady Mary?
(a) Broken and crumbling.
(b) Tablets, banners, altars, and shrines look down from breaks in the Gothic fluting.
4. What is the other secret that Kreutz reveals to Tring?
(a) He tells him that his niece really is not related to him at all.
(b) He tells him that he has found the secret to making gold.
(c) He tells him that Ivan of Russia is giving him a castle.
(d) He tells him that the Kovalskis are really the Charnetskis.
5. Which two people get in a scuffle in Pan Andrew's apartment after the explosions in the Charnetski apartment?
(a) Peter of the Button Face and the alchemist.
(b) The alchemist and Jan Kanty.
(c) Nicholas Kreutz and Andrew Charnetski.
(d) Peter of the Button Face and Jan Kanty.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the 12 men see the explosions, who do they tell their leader they are afraid of?
2. Who is Krakus?
3. What is noticeable about the music being played?
4. Once Tring sees what Kreutz puts in the middle of the room, what does he understand?
5. What other important piece of information does Pan Andrew provide when at the palace?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the Epilogue explains the Heynal is played.
2. When Tring puts Kreutz into a trance in Chapter 13, what important information does Kreutz give to Tring?
3. In Chapter 10, what happens on the rickety stairway that leads to the Charnetski family apartment?
4. What does the inside of the Church of Our Lady Mary look like?
5. What does Peter of the Button Face say to the king regarding why he is in Krakow in Chapter 15?
6. Who leaves the tower to fight the fire and who fills in for him in Chapter 14?
7. When Elzbietka hears the Heynal played in its entirety as described in Chapter 12, where is she and what does she do?
8. When Jan Kanty arrives at the tower with Kreutz in Chapter 14, what does Pan Andrew observe?
9. In Chapter 13, what is Tring's reaction when he sees the Great Tarnov Crystal in the middle of Kreutz's loft?
10. In Chapter 10, Peter of the Button Face is scared as he watches red balls of fire fall. Despite his fear, what does he do?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)