|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 14, who descends on the Street of Pigeons and why?
(a) Peter of the Button Face's men go to the street to fight the fire.
(b) All the women go there to help fight the fire.
(c) The Tartars go to the the Street of Pigeons to help fight the fire.
(d) Able men go to the Street of Pigeons to help fight the fire.
2. What does Kreutz say he has done to obtain the item he places in the middle of the room?
(a) He says that he had to lie to get the stone.
(b) He says that he asked permission from the king to get the stone.
(c) He says that he had to kill someone to get the stone.
(d) He says that he stole it and has perjured his soul.
3. What is the other secret that Kreutz reveals to Tring?
(a) He tells him that he has found the secret to making gold.
(b) He tells him that the Kovalskis are really the Charnetskis.
(c) He tells him that Ivan of Russia is giving him a castle.
(d) He tells him that his niece really is not related to him at all.
4. What is the name of Peter of the Button Face's assistant when they attack the church?
(a) James, known in Ukraine as "The Snake."
(b) Michael, known in Ukraine as "The Snake."
(c) Andrew, Pan Andrew's cousin.
(d) Stas, the old woman's son.
5. What is the people group whom Ivan is asking for help demanding?
(a) The Tartars say they will help if they can have the crystal.
(b) The Polish people say they will help if they can have the crystal.
(c) The Ukrainians say they will help if they can have the crystal.
(d) The Russian people say they will help if they can have the crystal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes the leader of the twelve men shriek and tremble?
2. When Peter is in the tower, Joseph finally learns the name of the crystal. What is it?
3. When Peter talks to Pan Andrew, what information does Pan Andrew give that Peter refuses to believe?
4. Which statement best describes what happens to Joseph at the end of the novel?
5. Who is questioned in the king's chambers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pan Andrew tell the king about the Great Tarnov Crystal in Chapter 15?
2. What happens when Kreutz actually mixes the ingredients to make the Philosopher's Stone in Chapter 13?
3. In Chapter 10, what happens on the rickety stairway that leads to the Charnetski family apartment?
4. What does Peter of the Button Face do to break into the tower in Chapter 11?
5. Describe the Vistula River as it is explained in the Epilogue.
6. After Peter and his men are arrested and Joseph returns to the tower in Chapter 12, what is it that confuses Pan Andrew?
7. What does Peter of the Button Face say to the king regarding why he is in Krakow in Chapter 15?
8. When Kreutz reveals that he has the crystal in Chapter 14, describe his feelings.
9. When Elzbietka hears the Heynal played in its entirety as described in Chapter 12, where is she and what does she do?
10. In Chapter 13, what is Tring's reaction when he sees the Great Tarnov Crystal in the middle of Kreutz's loft?
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)