|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Peter is in the tower, Joseph finally learns the name of the crystal. What is it?
(a) The Great Tarnov Crystal.
(b) The Great Kiev Crystal.
(c) The Great Charnetski Crystal
(d) The Great Krakow Crystal.
2. What does the king give to Pan Andrew?
(a) He gives him a room at the palace.
(b) He returns the crystal to him.
(c) He gives him a spot in the king's guard.
(d) He gives him a heavy gold chain.
3. What happens to Joseph, his mother, and Elzbietka during the fire?
(a) They flee their home but get trapped in the crowd on the Street of Pigeons.
(b) They flee their home but get trapped in the church.
(c) They flee their home and go to the king's palace.
(d) They flee their home and go to the University.
4. With what does Peter threaten Pan Andrew while in the tower?
(a) Peter threatens to tell the king that Pan Andrew has stolen the Great Tarnov Crystal if he doesn't turn it over.
(b) Peter threatens to kill his wife if Pan Andrew doesn't turn over the Great Kiev Crystal.
(c) Peter threatens to burn down Pan Andrew's apartment if he doesn't turn over the Great Tarnov Crystal.
(d) Peter threatens to kill Joseph if Pan Andrew doesn't turn over the Great Tarnov Crystal.
5. What reason does Pan Andrew give for being at the palace in Chapter 15?
(a) He would like to take the crystal to Kiev for safe keeping.
(b) He is trying to keep Kreutz from taking the crystal to Kiev.
(c) He says that he took an oath to protect the crystal and is bound to give it to the king once its location has been discovered.
(d) He would like to receive some money for turning over the crystal.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which description best describes the Tarnov Crystal?
2. What reason does Pan Andrew give for almost losing everything he has?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 13, what does Kreutz tell Tring?
4. What makes the leader of the twelve men shriek and tremble?
5. What does Joseph do before he leaves the tower in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the threat Peter of the Button Face gives to Joseph before Michael the Snake takes Joseph from the tower in Chapter 11?
2. As of 1928, as described in the Epilogue, why do people go to the city of Krakow?
3. After Peter and his men are arrested and Joseph returns to the tower in Chapter 12, what is it that confuses Pan Andrew?
4. What does Peter of the Button Face say to the king regarding why he is in Krakow in Chapter 15?
5. What do Jan Kanty and the king decide to do about the crystal in Chapter 16?
6. In Chapter 10, what happens on the rickety stairway that leads to the Charnetski family apartment?
7. Describe how the people of Krakow put out fires in general and in Chapter 14.
8. What sounds does the Epilogue say one hears coming from the church?
9. When Jan Kanty arrives at the tower with Kreutz in Chapter 14, what does Pan Andrew observe?
10. When Kreutz reveals that he has the crystal in Chapter 14, describe his feelings.
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)