|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the midst of all the destruction after the attack on Krakow, there is one Polish person left alive. Who is it?
(a) The trumpeter of Kiev.
(b) The king of Krakow.
(c) The trumpeter of Wawel.
(d) The trumpeter of the Church of Our Lady Mary.
2. What kind of job does Jan Kanty arrange for Pan Andrew?
(a) The job of Kanty's assistant.
(b) The job of the king's scribe.
(c) The job of the trumpter at the Church of Our Lady Mary.
(d) The job of Kreutz's assistant.
3. After his father's job is secured, what does Joseph learn he will be doing?
(a) He will be helping his father as the king's scribe.
(b) He will be helping Jan Kanty.
(c) He will be selling goods in the marketplace.
(d) He will be going to school.
4. In what year do the Tartars attack Poland?
5. What is in the open room at the tower of the Church of Our Lady Mary?
(a) Trumpets and food.
(b) Trumpets, a bell rope, and flags.
(c) Trumpets and bows and arrows.
(d) Trumpets and guns.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name provided as the stranger approaches the individual wagon in the caravan?
2. In Chapter 5, when Joseph returns from his walk with the dog, what does he see?
3. How old is the trumpeter when Poland is attacked?
4. Despite the fact that he knows he might die as he faces the Tartars in 1241, what does the trumpeter decide to do?
5. When the Tartars attack Krakow in the 1200s, what do the Polish people decide to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 7, on the night that Elzbietka tells Joseph that Johann Tring is with her uncle, what else does she tell him about Kreutz?
2. How does Joseph know that the stranger is an enemy in Chapter 1?
3. In Chapter 2, what does Pan Andrew Charnetski tell the guard when he arrives at the palace gates and what is the guard's response?
4. Explain the feelings of the trumpeter as he plays for the last time.
5. Why do the Polish people decide not to defend Krakow and let the Tartars pillage their city?
6. Describe the oath that the trumpeter takes.
7. What was the meeting between Joseph and Stas like in the courtyard as described in Chapter 6?
8. Describe the tower from which Pan Andrew has to perform his job.
9. What does Pan Andrew explain to Jan Kanty in Chapter 4 once the mob scene has dissipated?
10. In Chapter 4, what occurs when the Charnetski family accompanies Jan Kanty to his home?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)