|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which best describes the Tartars?
(a) Peaceful people who just want some more land.
(b) Like wild beasts who leave nothing alive.
(c) Inexperienced warriors.
(d) Compassionate people who invade but do not do much damage.
2. What does Joseph do when Pan Andrew is fighting with the stranger in the caravan?
(a) He unloads the goods from the wagon.
(b) He drives the carriage for his father.
(c) He lets the stranger's horse loose.
(d) He helps to break up the fight.
3. By what name do the Polish people know the stranger?
(a) Bogdan the Fearful.
(b) Bogdan the Terrible.
(c) Peter of the Wolf Dogs.
(d) Peter of the Button Face.
4. As Chapter 1 opens, which of the following describes the caravan?
(a) Multiple horse carriages with the drivers riding in them.
(b) Peasants riding horses.
(c) One-horse wagons piled high with goods for the marketplace with drivers walking alongside the carts.
(d) Peasants walking and carrying their belongings.
5. How many rooms does the Charnetskis' new dwelling have?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is the best description of the trumpeter as he plays amidst all of the destruction in Krakow?
2. Why do the men in the caravan carry weapons?
3. How does Pan Andrew Charnetski know the stranger is not Polish?
4. How does Pan Andrew tell time while he is working?
5. What story does Pan Andrew tell Joseph when Joseph accompanies him to his new place of work for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 9, is Peter of the Button Face successful in obtaining the treasure?
2. What is Joseph's father being accused of in Chapter 3?
3. What are the aspects of Pan Andrew's job?
4. In Chapter 8, what reason does Joseph give Elzbietka for why the scholar they see is not speaking at the University?
5. Describe the oath that the trumpeter takes.
6. How does Joseph know that the stranger is an enemy in Chapter 1?
7. Describe the caravan from Chapter 1.
8. In Chapter 1, after the stranger offers to buy the item sitting in Pan Andrew's wagon, what happens?
9. Explain why many people seek Jan Kanty's advice.
10. In Chapter 5, when Kanty and the Charnetski family go to the lodgings Joseph has found, what do they witness on their way?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)