|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Elzbietka asks Joseph why women are not allowed to study at the university, what is his answer?
(a) He says that women are not as intelligent as men.
(b) He says that the law states women are not allowed to be educated.
(c) He says that men are jealous of women and they don't want the women to know more than the men.
(d) He says that he does not know the reason.
2. By what name do the Polish people know the stranger?
(a) Peter of the Button Face.
(b) Peter of the Wolf Dogs.
(c) Bogdan the Fearful.
(d) Bogdan the Terrible.
3. As Chapter 1 opens, which of the following describes the caravan?
(a) Peasants riding horses.
(b) Peasants walking and carrying their belongings.
(c) One-horse wagons piled high with goods for the marketplace with drivers walking alongside the carts.
(d) Multiple horse carriages with the drivers riding in them.
4. Which best describes the Tartars' religious belief?
(a) They are Buddhists.
(b) They are Jewish.
(c) They do not know God.
(d) They believe in God.
5. What does Kreutz say about trances and experiments?
(a) That the people of Krakow have always embraced them.
(b) That the people of Krakow have always been weary of them.
(c) That the people of Lvov are experts at doing them.
(d) That the people of Kiev are experts at doing them.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Joseph further investigates Elzbietka's concerns, what does he see?
2. How does Pan Andrew Charnetski know the stranger is not Polish?
3. When Joseph and Elzbietka turn on to the Street of Pigeons after Elzbietka's question about women studying, who identifies them to someone else?
4. What does Joseph tell Elzbietka that he will do if he is every attacked in the tower?
5. What is the name of the fortress and castle of the king of Poland on a hill above the Vistula River?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how the city of Krakow reacts to the villagers fleeing.
2. In Chapter 4, what occurs when the Charnetski family accompanies Jan Kanty to his home?
3. What does Pan Andrew explain to Jan Kanty in Chapter 4 once the mob scene has dissipated?
4. Describe the Tartars.
5. Why do the Polish people decide not to defend Krakow and let the Tartars pillage their city?
6. How does Peter of the Button Face plan to break into Pan Andrew's apartment and steal the treasure in Chapter 9?
7. Explain why many people seek Jan Kanty's advice.
8. In Chapter 1, after the stranger offers to buy the item sitting in Pan Andrew's wagon, what happens?
9. Describe the agreement that Elzbietka and Joseph make to one another when in the tower in Chapter 8.
10. Provide some characteristics of the new lodgings for the Charnetski family.
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)