|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Joseph arrives at his family's destination, what does he see?
(a) Bright, sunlit palaces, churches, towers, battlement walks, and Gothic buildings.
(b) Buildings adorned by the rich sculpture marked by the Italian Renaissance.
(c) Flat farmland, barns, and stables.
(d) Spanish-American architecture.
2. Who accompanies the Charnetski family and Jan Kanty to their new dwelling in Chapter 5?
(a) Stefan Ostrovski.
(b) Johann Tring.
(c) Conrad Mlynarki.
(d) Nicholas Kreutz.
3. What is the most accurate description of the Tartars' appearance?
(a) Tall, pale men with beards and long, braided hair.
(b) Tall, dark men with shaved heads.
(c) Short, dark men with beards and long, braided hair.
(d) Short, pale men with shaved heads.
4. What distresses Kreutz as he listens to Tring?
(a) Understanding that he will never be able to use the Philosopher's Stone.
(b) Knowing that Tring is going to deceive him.
(c) Finding out that the Tartars are on their way.
(d) Being told that he ignored the cry of his neice while in a trance.
5. What is the oath taken by the trumpeter?
(a) To play the National Anthem every morning.
(b) To sound the trumpet each hour of the day and night until death.
(c) To warn the people inside the castle of the coming Tartars.
(d) To defend the country.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the stranger tell a group of people Pan Andrew did that makes them angry?
2. Which best describes the Tartars?
3. What has Joseph learned to do by the time fall arrives?
4. When the Polish people hear the word "Tartar," they:
5. To whom does Joseph hear the Tartars praying?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Tartars.
2. What does Pan Andrew explain to Jan Kanty in Chapter 4 once the mob scene has dissipated?
3. In Chapter 8, Stas identifies Joseph and Elzbietka to a stranger. What information does he provide to the stranger?
4. How does Peter of the Button Face plan to break into Pan Andrew's apartment and steal the treasure in Chapter 9?
5. Describe the caravan from Chapter 1.
6. In Chapter 7, on the night that Elzbietka tells Joseph that Johann Tring is with her uncle, what else does she tell him about Kreutz?
7. In Chapter 8, what reason does Joseph give Elzbietka for why the scholar they see is not speaking at the University?
8. What was the meeting between Joseph and Stas like in the courtyard as described in Chapter 6?
9. What are some of the things that Joseph notices when he spies on Tring and Kreutz in Chapter 7?
10. Explain how the Polish people feel as they have to leave their villages because they know the Tartars are arriving.
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)