|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Joseph do when Pan Andrew is fighting with the stranger in the caravan?
(a) He drives the carriage for his father.
(b) He lets the stranger's horse loose.
(c) He helps to break up the fight.
(d) He unloads the goods from the wagon.
2. In what year do the Tartars attack Poland?
3. After his father's job is secured, what does Joseph learn he will be doing?
(a) He will be helping his father as the king's scribe.
(b) He will be selling goods in the marketplace.
(c) He will be going to school.
(d) He will be helping Jan Kanty.
4. When the Tartars reach Krakow for the attack in 1241, what do they do?
(a) Are defeated by the people of Krakow.
(b) Burn the outlying villages and pillage the districts around the churches.
(c) Take hostages for several weeks and then release them.
(d) See that is was a small city and leave.
5. Krakow welcomes which group of people?
(a) The Ukrainians who are fleeing the Tartars.
(b) The villagers who stay to fight the Tartars.
(c) The people of Bulgaria who try to fight the Tartars.
(d) The Russians who are fleeing the Tartars.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is the trumpeter when Poland is attacked?
2. What does Elzbietka confess to Joseph in Chapter 8?
3. What does the stranger offer to buy from Pan Andrew Charnetski?
4. As Chapter 1 opens, which of the following describes the caravan?
5. When the Polish people hear the word "Tartar," they:
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the oath that the trumpeter takes.
2. Why does Joseph catch the wolf dog in Chapter 2?
3. In Chapter 9, is Peter of the Button Face successful in obtaining the treasure?
4. What are some of the things that Joseph notices when he spies on Tring and Kreutz in Chapter 7?
5. Provide some characteristics of the new lodgings for the Charnetski family.
6. Explain why many people seek Jan Kanty's advice.
7. What is Joseph's father being accused of in Chapter 3?
8. Describe the tower from which Pan Andrew has to perform his job.
9. Describe the caravan from Chapter 1.
10. How does Peter of the Button Face plan to break into Pan Andrew's apartment and steal the treasure in Chapter 9?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)