|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who hears the instructions given to Stas by the stranger?
(a) Joseph Charnetski.
(b) Stefan Ostrovski
(c) Nicholas Kreutz.
(d) Bogdan the Terrible.
2. Which best describes the Tartars?
(a) Like wild beasts who leave nothing alive.
(b) Compassionate people who invade but do not do much damage.
(c) Peaceful people who just want some more land.
(d) Inexperienced warriors.
3. Where does Joseph find his family a place to stay?
(a) In the same building as Ostrovski and Kanty.
(b) In the king's palace.
(c) In their cousin's house back in their old village.
(d) In the same building as Elzbietka and Kreutz.
4. Which two cities do the Tartars attack before they invade Poland?
(a) Vienna and Budapest
(b) Minsk and Moscow.
(c) Kiev and Lvov.
(d) St. Petersburg and Moscow.
5. What do the people do when they hear the Tartars' approach in 1241?
(a) Stay in their villages and negotiate with the Tartars.
(b) Leave their homes with their belongings to try to escape.
(c) Head towards the army and try to attack them before they arrive in the village.
(d) Gather up all of their ammunition to defend themselves.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joseph Charnetski see as he is riding in the back of the wagon while in the caravan?
2. What does the stranger offer to Stas for agreeing to spy on Joseph's family?
3. To whom does Joseph hear the Tartars praying?
4. How does Pan Andrew Charnetski know the stranger is not Polish?
5. After Elzbietka makes her promise to Joseph, what do they see?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 8, Stas identifies Joseph and Elzbietka to a stranger. What information does he provide to the stranger?
2. What are some of the things that Joseph notices when he spies on Tring and Kreutz in Chapter 7?
3. In Chapter 2, what does Pan Andrew Charnetski tell the guard when he arrives at the palace gates and what is the guard's response?
4. In Chapter 1, after the stranger offers to buy the item sitting in Pan Andrew's wagon, what happens?
5. What does Pan Andrew explain to Jan Kanty in Chapter 4 once the mob scene has dissipated?
6. Why does Joseph catch the wolf dog in Chapter 2?
7. In Chapter 7, on the night that Elzbietka tells Joseph that Johann Tring is with her uncle, what else does she tell him about Kreutz?
8. How does Peter of the Button Face plan to break into Pan Andrew's apartment and steal the treasure in Chapter 9?
9. List some of the things that Joseph sees and hears as he first sets his sights on the city in Chapter 2.
10. Explain the feelings of the trumpeter as he plays for the last time.
This section contains 1,046 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)