|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What preparations does Kreutz make in his apartment after he hears the instructions given to Stas?
(a) He asks Tring to put him in a trance to obtain wisdom.
(b) He mixes chemicals together to make a glowing effect on his clothing.
(c) He mixes chemicals together to put a spell on Joseph and his family.
(d) He asks Tring to put him in a trance as he prepares to meet the king.
2. When the Tartars attack Krakow in the 1200s, what do the Polish people decide to do?
(a) They decide to flee the castle gates once the Tartars approach.
(b) They decide to not defend the city outside of the gates of Wawel.
(c) They decide to send armies out of the castle gates to meet the Tartars.
(d) They decide to prepare to attack the Tartars outside the castle gates.
3. After Elzbietka makes her promise to Joseph, what do they see?
(a) A Latin scholar teaching a crowd of students near the university.
(b) A group of Tartars beating up a Polish family.
(c) The king returning to his palace.
(d) A Tartar boy beating up a wolf dog for no apparent reason.
4. What does the stranger tell a group of people Pan Andrew did that makes them angry?
(a) He says that Pan Andrew was really a Tartar in a peasant's clothing.
(b) He says that Pan Andrew stole the king's jewels.
(c) He says that Pan Andrew has escaped from prison.
(d) He says Pan Andrew cut off his brother's head and turned it into a pumpkin.
5. What does Elzbietka confess to Joseph in Chapter 8?
(a) That she is in love with Joseph.
(b) That she thinks her uncle is possessed by Tring.
(c) That she wants to leave her uncle.
(d) That she saw a murder occur.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the fortress and castle of the king of Poland on a hill above the Vistula River?
2. What has a Russian ruler offered the stranger in return for something he wants?
3. In Chapter 5, when Joseph returns from his walk with the dog, what does he see?
4. What heroic act does Joseph do while in the marketplace?
5. When the Tartars reach Krakow for the attack in 1241, what do they do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the caravan from Chapter 1.
2. What are some of the things that Joseph notices when he spies on Tring and Kreutz in Chapter 7?
3. Describe the Tartars.
4. Describe the oath that the trumpeter takes.
5. Describe how the people of Poland feel when they hear that the Tartars are marching toward their land?
6. Provide some characteristics of the new lodgings for the Charnetski family.
7. List some of the things that Joseph sees and hears as he first sets his sights on the city in Chapter 2.
8. In Chapter 8, what reason does Joseph give Elzbietka for why the scholar they see is not speaking at the University?
9. What does the reader learn about the stranger in Chapter 8?
10. What does Pan Andrew explain to Jan Kanty in Chapter 4 once the mob scene has dissipated?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)