|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the people group whom Ivan is asking for help demanding?
(a) The Russian people say they will help if they can have the crystal.
(b) The Ukrainians say they will help if they can have the crystal.
(c) The Polish people say they will help if they can have the crystal.
(d) The Tartars say they will help if they can have the crystal.
2. Which statement best describes what the king does with Peter of the Button Face?
(a) He enlists his help to conquer Ivan the Great.
(b) He puts him in prision in the king's palace.
(c) He gives him his freedom but says he can't return to Poland for three years.
(d) He gives him his freedom but banishes him from Poland forever.
3. With what does Peter threaten Joseph before he sends him away with Michael?
(a) Peter tells Joseph he will kill his mother if Joseph does not return with the crystal.
(b) Peter says he will kill Elzbietka if Joseph does not return with the gold.
(c) Peter says he will kill Joseph if he does not return with the crystal.
(d) Peter tells Joseph he will kill Pan Andrew if Joseph does not return with the crystal.
4. Where does Pan Andrew think his treasure is once he discovers it missing?
(a) With Nicholas Kreutz.
(b) With Ivan of Russia.
(c) With Stas.
(d) With Peter of the Button Face.
5. What best describes the statues in the Church of Our Lady Mary?
(a) Broken and crumbling.
(d) Tablets, banners, altars, and shrines look down from breaks in the Gothic fluting.
6. What reason does Pan Andrew give for being at the palace in Chapter 15?
(a) He says that he took an oath to protect the crystal and is bound to give it to the king once its location has been discovered.
(b) He would like to take the crystal to Kiev for safe keeping.
(c) He is trying to keep Kreutz from taking the crystal to Kiev.
(d) He would like to receive some money for turning over the crystal.
7. What does the king give to Pan Andrew?
(a) He gives him a spot in the king's guard.
(b) He returns the crystal to him.
(c) He gives him a heavy gold chain.
(d) He gives him a room at the palace.
8. What is the best description of the explosions referenced in the Charnetskis' apartment?
(a) Balls of red fire shooting out into the air.
(b) Balls of aqua shooting out into the air.
(c) Gun fire.
9. What do men and women of the twentieth century think of when they hear the music?
(a) They think of the Great Tarnov Crystal.
(b) They think of the days whe the young life was given to country, God, and duty.
(c) They think of Joseph Charnetski.
(d) They think of Pan Andrew Charnetski.
10. When the 12 men see the explosions, who do they tell their leader they are afraid of?
(a) Pan Andrew Charnetski.
(b) The Evil One, or the Devil.
(c) Joseph Charnetski.
(d) Nicholas Kreutz.
11. Why is Tring angry with the information from Kreutz about his mental state?
(a) Because he wanted to be the one to tell the king.
(b) Because he thinks Kreutz is going to make more money than he is going to make.
(c) Because he is worried for Kreutz's mental stability.
(d) Because he is afraid that Kreutz has shared their secret with someone else.
12. Once she receives her clue that Joseph is in trouble, what does Elzbietka do?
(a) She decides to go to the tower herself.
(b) She decides to get Joseph's mother for help.
(c) She decides to get Jan Kanty for help.
(d) She decides to get her uncle for help.
13. When Peter talks to Pan Andrew, what information does Pan Andrew give that Peter refuses to believe?
(a) Pan Andrew says that his wife stole the treasure.
(b) Pan Andrew says that Stas stole the treasure.
(c) Pan Andrew says that Jan Kanty stole the treasure.
(d) Pan Andrew says that he does not have the treasure.
14. Why is Joseph anxious to see the palace at Wawel Hill?
(a) He wants to try to become part of the palace guard.
(b) He is familiar with the legend of Krakus.
(c) He is interested in the architecture of the palace.
(d) He wants to see Peter of the Button Face.
15. Because Pan Andrew is so depressed about the treasure being gone, what does Joseph often do?
(a) He cheers him up by finding the treasure.
(b) He lets his father sleep and plays the Heynal on the trumpet through the night.
(c) He does all of the marketplace shopping for the family.
(d) He gets his father an audience with the king.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the explosions, what is the new nickname of Peter of the Button Face?
2. After he reveals the secrets, what does Kreutz tell Tring he is ready to do?
3. What does Kreutz say he has done to obtain the item he places in the middle of the room?
4. What building has defied fire, siege, and war for eight centuries?
5. What happens to the fire?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)