|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the king give to Pan Andrew?
(a) He gives him a heavy gold chain.
(b) He gives him a spot in the king's guard.
(c) He returns the crystal to him.
(d) He gives him a room at the palace.
2. With what does Kreutz flee at the end?
(a) He flees with the crystal.
(b) He flees with the Philosopher's Stone.
(c) He flees with the cauldron.
(d) He flees with his book of alchemy.
3. What is the name of Peter of the Button Face's assistant when they attack the church?
(a) Michael, known in Ukraine as "The Snake."
(b) Stas, the old woman's son.
(c) Andrew, Pan Andrew's cousin.
(d) James, known in Ukraine as "The Snake."
4. Because Pan Andrew is so depressed about the treasure being gone, what does Joseph often do?
(a) He gets his father an audience with the king.
(b) He does all of the marketplace shopping for the family.
(c) He cheers him up by finding the treasure.
(d) He lets his father sleep and plays the Heynal on the trumpet through the night.
5. When Peter talks to Pan Andrew, what information does Pan Andrew give that Peter refuses to believe?
(a) Pan Andrew says that Stas stole the treasure.
(b) Pan Andrew says that he does not have the treasure.
(c) Pan Andrew says that his wife stole the treasure.
(d) Pan Andrew says that Jan Kanty stole the treasure.
6. What instrument is playing in the church in the Epilogue?
(a) The organ.
(b) The trumpet.
(c) The flute.
(d) The piano.
7. Whose help is Ivan the Great seeking for what he wants?
(a) He needs the help of the Tartars.
(b) He needs the help of the Ukrainians.
(c) He needs the help of the Polish people.
(d) He needs the help of his own countrymen.
8. What does Joseph do before he leaves the tower in Chapter 11?
(a) He tells his father how much he loves him.
(b) He remember his pact with Elzbietka and plays the Heynal but stops on the broken note.
(c) He confesses to Peter that he knows where the crystal is.
(d) He remembers his pact with Elzbietka and plays the Heynal in its entirety.
9. What is the best description of the castles in the Epilogue?
(a) The castles are crumbling ruins.
(b) The castles and towers and cathedral still rise proudly on the hill as in former days.
(c) There are no more castles.
(d) The castles are bigger and better than they were in former days.
10. Once help is summoned in Chapter 12, what happens?
(a) Peter and his men flee the tower when they see the watchmen coming.
(b) The thirty watchmen free Pan Andrew and remove the thieves.
(c) Peter and his men attack the Krakow watchmen and take Kanty hostage.
(d) The king and his men save Pan Andrew from the tower.
11. What does every citizen in Krakow have in their homes?
(b) Equipment for putting out fires.
(d) Extra clothing.
12. Whom is Joseph amazed to see in the custody of king's palace guard after the fire?
(a) The king himself.
(b) Peter of the Button Face.
(d) Michael the Snake.
13. Who does Pan Andrew say is intent on stealing the crystal?
(a) Nicholas Kreutz.
(b) Jan Kanty.
(c) Peter of the Button Face.
(d) Michael the Snake.
14. What does Kreutz say he has done to obtain the item he places in the middle of the room?
(a) He says that he had to lie to get the stone.
(b) He says that he had to kill someone to get the stone.
(c) He says that he asked permission from the king to get the stone.
(d) He says that he stole it and has perjured his soul.
15. When Pan Andrew arrives home after the explosions, what does he find?
(a) That his trumpet is missing.
(b) That his wife is missing.
(c) That his treasure is missing.
(d) That his son is missing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the king learn about Ivan the Great?
2. With what does Peter threaten Joseph before he sends him away with Michael?
3. What is the best description of Krakow at the time the novel was written?
4. When the 12 men see the explosions, who do they tell their leader they are afraid of?
5. After the explosions, what is the new nickname of Peter of the Button Face?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)