|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pan Andrew ask Joseph to do during the fire?
(a) He asks him to help find Nicholas Kreutz.
(b) He asks him to sound the Heynal for the rest of the night.
(c) He asks him to help him fight the fire.
(d) He asks him to help find Jan Kanty.
2. What is the year in the Epilogue?
3. How is the Vistula River different?
(a) It is dried up.
(b) It plunges striaght through the Krakow plain.
(c) It now swings far to the left and surrounds the new city.
(d) It turns at Wawel Hill.
4. What is the people group whom Ivan is asking for help demanding?
(a) The Polish people say they will help if they can have the crystal.
(b) The Tartars say they will help if they can have the crystal.
(c) The Ukrainians say they will help if they can have the crystal.
(d) The Russian people say they will help if they can have the crystal.
5. What best describes how the music is played in the Epilogue?
(a) Four times the trumpeter sounds the Heynal, once at each of the four windows.
(b) Five times the trumpeter sounds the Heynal.
(c) Four times the flutist sounds the Heynal, once at each of the four windows.
(d) One time the trumpter sounds the Heynal.
6. Of what is Krakow the center?
(a) Warrior training.
(b) Arts, music, crafts, and education.
(c) Arts only.
(d) Music only.
7. Who is Krakus?
(a) A hero who slayed a dragon that had made its nest at Wawel Hill.
(b) A hero who fought valliantly in Kiev.
(c) A hero who helped to defeat the Tartars.
(d) A hero who fought valliantly in Lvov.
8. What is the best description of Krakow at the time the novel was written?
(a) Gothic in every corner and gable except for a few Romanesque walls and arches.
(b) All Modern architecture.
(c) All Gothic architecture.
(d) All Roman architecture.
9. What reason does Pan Andrew give for being at the palace in Chapter 15?
(a) He would like to receive some money for turning over the crystal.
(b) He says that he took an oath to protect the crystal and is bound to give it to the king once its location has been discovered.
(c) He would like to take the crystal to Kiev for safe keeping.
(d) He is trying to keep Kreutz from taking the crystal to Kiev.
10. Which statement best describes what the king does with Peter of the Button Face?
(a) He gives him his freedom but says he can't return to Poland for three years.
(b) He puts him in prision in the king's palace.
(c) He gives him his freedom but banishes him from Poland forever.
(d) He enlists his help to conquer Ivan the Great.
11. How do Peter and his men enter the tower?
(a) Stas attacks the watchman and steals the key to the tower.
(b) They follow Joseph up the stairs.
(c) They find an open door up to the tower.
(d) "The Snake" attacks the watchman and steals the key to the tower.
12. In Chapter 14, who descends on the Street of Pigeons and why?
(a) Peter of the Button Face's men go to the street to fight the fire.
(b) The Tartars go to the the Street of Pigeons to help fight the fire.
(c) Able men go to the Street of Pigeons to help fight the fire.
(d) All the women go there to help fight the fire.
13. Why is Tring angry with the information from Kreutz about his mental state?
(a) Because he thinks Kreutz is going to make more money than he is going to make.
(b) Because he is worried for Kreutz's mental stability.
(c) Because he is afraid that Kreutz has shared their secret with someone else.
(d) Because he wanted to be the one to tell the king.
14. What happens to the fire?
(a) It burns for one hour and stops by the time the Heynal is played again.
(b) It is quickly contained because of the line drawn to keep it from speading.
(c) It burns down the king's palace.
(d) The fire rages out of control.
15. What clue does Elzbietka receive that Joseph is in trouble?
(a) She hears Michael yelling at him to look for the crystal.
(b) She hears him play the Heynal with the traditional stop on the broken note.
(c) She does not hear the trumpet being played at all.
(d) She hears him play the Heynal without stopping on the broken note.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 13, what does Kreutz put in the middle of the room?
2. With what does Peter threaten Joseph before he sends him away with Michael?
3. After the explosions, what is the new nickname of Peter of the Button Face?
4. Who arrives at the tower with Nicholas Kreutz?
5. What is noticeable about the music being played?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)