|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the best description of the castles in the Epilogue?
(a) The castles and towers and cathedral still rise proudly on the hill as in former days.
(b) There are no more castles.
(c) The castles are crumbling ruins.
(d) The castles are bigger and better than they were in former days.
2. Whose help is Ivan the Great seeking for what he wants?
(a) He needs the help of the Ukrainians.
(b) He needs the help of the Tartars.
(c) He needs the help of the Polish people.
(d) He needs the help of his own countrymen.
3. In Chapter 14, who descends on the Street of Pigeons and why?
(a) Able men go to the Street of Pigeons to help fight the fire.
(b) Peter of the Button Face's men go to the street to fight the fire.
(c) All the women go there to help fight the fire.
(d) The Tartars go to the the Street of Pigeons to help fight the fire.
4. What instrument is playing in the church in the Epilogue?
(a) The piano.
(b) The trumpet.
(c) The organ.
(d) The flute.
5. What do men and women of the twentieth century think of when they hear the music?
(a) They think of Pan Andrew Charnetski.
(b) They think of Joseph Charnetski.
(c) They think of the days whe the young life was given to country, God, and duty.
(d) They think of the Great Tarnov Crystal.
6. Who arrives in the modern city of Krakow?
(a) The Ukrainians arrive to attack it.
(b) The Russians arrive to attack it.
(c) People from all Poland come to study and live.
(d) The Tartars arrive to attack it.
7. Which description best describes the Tarnov Crystal?
(a) An often discussed wonder that Tartar parents tell their children about.
(b) A crystal that the Tartars do not know about yet.
(c) A tiny crystal that no one has known about until recently.
(d) A dull but enormous stone.
8. Where does Pan Andrew think his treasure is once he discovers it missing?
(a) With Ivan of Russia.
(b) With Stas.
(c) With Nicholas Kreutz.
(d) With Peter of the Button Face.
9. In Chapter 16, what happens to the Great Tarnov Crystal?
(a) The king keeps it in the palace for safe-keeping.
(b) Pan Andrew throws it into the Vistula River but Kreutz retrives it.
(c) Kreutz throws it into the Vistula River, where it remains.
(d) Kreutz throws it into the Vistula River but the king's guard retrieves it.
10. What reason does Pan Andrew give for being at the palace in Chapter 15?
(a) He would like to take the crystal to Kiev for safe keeping.
(b) He says that he took an oath to protect the crystal and is bound to give it to the king once its location has been discovered.
(c) He would like to receive some money for turning over the crystal.
(d) He is trying to keep Kreutz from taking the crystal to Kiev.
11. What reason does Pan Andrew give for almost losing everything he has?
(a) The Philosopher's Stone.
(b) The Tartars.
(c) Michael the Snake.
(d) The Great Tarnov Crystal.
12. How much of the city is destroyed by the fire?
(a) Just the University buildings.
(b) One third of the entire city.
(c) Almost the entire city.
(d) Just the houses on the Street of Pigeons.
13. While in the trance in Chapter 13, what does Kreutz do?
(a) He talks about his niece.
(b) He returns the crystal to Pan Andrew.
(c) He mixes chemicals so that there is an explosion.
(d) He walks to the king's palace.
14. When the 12 men see the explosions, who do they tell their leader they are afraid of?
(a) Pan Andrew Charnetski.
(b) The Evil One, or the Devil.
(c) Nicholas Kreutz.
(d) Joseph Charnetski.
15. How do Peter and his men enter the tower?
(a) They follow Joseph up the stairs.
(b) Stas attacks the watchman and steals the key to the tower.
(c) "The Snake" attacks the watchman and steals the key to the tower.
(d) They find an open door up to the tower.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once Peter and his men are in the tower, what confuses Pan Andrew and Joseph?
2. What makes the leader of the twelve men shriek and tremble?
3. What happens to Peter of the Button Face's hair?
4. Who is Krakus?
5. How is the Vistula River different?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)