|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What ultimately happens to the trumpeter in 1241?
(a) A Tartar shoots him when he is done playing.
(b) He is killed by a Tartar with a bow and arrow while he is playing the Heynal.
(c) A Polish man accidentally shoots him with a bow and arrow.
(d) He escapes the Tartars while playing the trumpet.
2. What is the stranger's real name?
(a) Bogdan Brozny - Bogdan the Terrible.
(b) Stefan Ostrovski.
(c) Jan Kanty.
(d) Pan Andrew Tenczynsksi.
3. What does Kreutz say about trances and experiments?
(a) That the people of Krakow have always embraced them.
(b) That the people of Kiev are experts at doing them.
(c) That the people of Lvov are experts at doing them.
(d) That the people of Krakow have always been weary of them.
4. What does the stranger offer to Stas for agreeing to spy on Joseph's family?
(a) He offers him gold.
(b) He offers him food.
(c) He offers him a job.
(d) He offers him a house.
5. What is the most accurate description of the Tartars' appearance?
(a) Short, dark men with beards and long, braided hair.
(b) Tall, dark men with shaved heads.
(c) Short, pale men with shaved heads.
(d) Tall, pale men with beards and long, braided hair.
6. What is the Heynal?
(a) The battle cry of the Tartars.
(b) The hymn to Our Lady.
(c) The National Anthem.
(d) The castle next to Wawel.
7. What is the name of the fortress and castle of the king of Poland on a hill above the Vistula River?
(b) Cloth Hall.
(d) St. Ann.
8. Where is the Charnetski family going with the caravan?
(a) They are traveling to Kiev.
(b) They are traveling to Ukraine.
(c) They are traveling to Krakow.
(d) They are traveling to Lvov.
9. Despite the fact that he knows he might die as he faces the Tartars in 1241, what does the trumpeter decide to do?
(a) Sound the trumpet for the lost people of Kiev.
(b) Sound the Heynal for Poland and Our Lady.
(c) Flee to the castle.
(d) Try to kill the Tartars he sees.
10. What do the people do when they hear the Tartars' approach in 1241?
(a) Head towards the army and try to attack them before they arrive in the village.
(b) Stay in their villages and negotiate with the Tartars.
(c) Gather up all of their ammunition to defend themselves.
(d) Leave their homes with their belongings to try to escape.
11. What heroic act does Joseph do while in the marketplace?
(a) He saves his mother from an angry mob.
(b) He bravely rescues a young girl from a dog's attack.
(c) He saves his father from being attacked by Stefan Ostrovski.
(d) He catches a Tartar trying to steal food.
12. After his father's job is secured, what does Joseph learn he will be doing?
(a) He will be helping Jan Kanty.
(b) He will be helping his father as the king's scribe.
(c) He will be going to school.
(d) He will be selling goods in the marketplace.
13. What does Joseph Charnetski see as he is riding in the back of the wagon while in the caravan?
(a) A man stealing good from another wagon.
(b) A beautiful woman fall off her horse.
(c) A single rider barge rudely through the caravan.
(d) A child fall off of a wagon.
14. What kind of job does Jan Kanty arrange for Pan Andrew?
(a) The job of the king's scribe.
(b) The job of the trumpter at the Church of Our Lady Mary.
(c) The job of Kanty's assistant.
(d) The job of Kreutz's assistant.
15. As the Charnetski family settles into their new life, what is included in Joseph's nightly routine?
(a) He stays at work with his father all night.
(b) He goes to sleep early because he has to go to school the next morning.
(c) He sits with Jan Kanty and learns from him.
(d) He goes to work with his father and then returns home to his mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joseph do when Pan Andrew is fighting with the stranger in the caravan?
2. What is the most accurate description of the Tartar army?
3. What is unusual about one of the wagons in the caravan?
4. Why do the men in the caravan carry weapons?
5. What has Joseph learned to do by the time fall arrives?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)