|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many rooms does the Charnetskis' new dwelling have?
2. What is in the open room at the tower of the Church of Our Lady Mary?
(a) Trumpets, a bell rope, and flags.
(b) Trumpets and bows and arrows.
(c) Trumpets and food.
(d) Trumpets and guns.
3. What story does Pan Andrew tell Joseph when Joseph accompanies him to his new place of work for the first time?
(a) The story of his cousin.
(b) The story of their ancestors.
(c) The story of the pumpkin and the crystal.
(d) The story of the trumpeter and the broken note.
4. In Chapter 7, what tempting thing does Tring tell Kreutz?
(a) He says he could be the trumpeter at the Church of Our Lady Mary.
(b) He says he could be a part of the king's court.
(c) He says he could own the building in which he lives.
(d) He says he could become the greatest alchemist in Poland.
5. Immediately following the fight, what decision does the stranger have to make?
(a) He needs to decide whether to kidnap Joseph or go back to Krakow.
(b) He needs to decide whether to chase Pan Andrew or the horse.
(c) He needs to decide whether to steal the goods or chase the horse.
(d) She needs to decide whether to go to the market or go home.
6. As the treasure is being stolen, what does the thief see?
(a) A set of keys.
(b) A terrible red light.
(c) A stack of books.
(d) A pile of gold.
7. Despite the fact that he knows he might die as he faces the Tartars in 1241, what does the trumpeter decide to do?
(a) Sound the Heynal for Poland and Our Lady.
(b) Try to kill the Tartars he sees.
(c) Sound the trumpet for the lost people of Kiev.
(d) Flee to the castle.
8. After Joseph tells Elzbietka what he will do if attacked, what does Elzbietka promise?
(a) She promises to go to Jan Kanty if she ever hears him play the Heynal without stopping at the broken note.
(b) She promises to take care of his parents if he dies.
(c) She promises to run to the king's palace if she ever hears him play the Heynal in its entirety.
(d) She promises to find out what is in the pumpkin if he dies.
9. Why is Jan Kanty well respected in Krakow?
(a) He completes acts of sorcery on a daily basis.
(b) He is a member of the royalty, a highly educated man, and a friend of the alchemist.
(c) He is a scholar-priest who is dedicated to learning, helpful to the peasants, and a hater of cruelty toward man.
(d) He recently defeated a band of Tartars who had attacked the city.
10. What is the most accurate description of the Tartars' appearance?
(a) Short, dark men with beards and long, braided hair.
(b) Tall, pale men with beards and long, braided hair.
(c) Short, pale men with shaved heads.
(d) Tall, dark men with shaved heads.
11. Who hears the instructions given to Stas by the stranger?
(a) Stefan Ostrovski
(b) Joseph Charnetski.
(c) Nicholas Kreutz.
(d) Bogdan the Terrible.
12. Which best describes the Tartars?
(a) Like wild beasts who leave nothing alive.
(b) Inexperienced warriors.
(c) Peaceful people who just want some more land.
(d) Compassionate people who invade but do not do much damage.
13. How old is Joseph Charnetski?
14. At the palace gate, what suggestion does the guard give to Pan Andrew?
(a) Leave or live in the city under an assumed name.
(b) Go find the king in a neighboring city.
(c) Wait at the palace gates for Pan Andrew Tenczynski to return.
(d) Live in the city openly and freely.
15. While in the caravan, which of the stranger's orders does Joseph Charnetski follow?
(a) To give some of the goods from Joseph's wagon to him.
(b) To carry some of the goods for market.
(c) To take the reigns of the stranger's horse.
(d) To take a pumpkin from the stranger.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Heynal?
2. What heroic act does Joseph do while in the marketplace?
3. When Joseph returns to the marketplace to give his family the news about their possible lodgings, what is the scene he sees?
4. Chapter 1 begins in what month and year?
5. After Elzbietka makes her promise to Joseph, what do they see?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)