|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Joseph tells Elzbietka what he will do if attacked, what does Elzbietka promise?
(a) She promises to go to Jan Kanty if she ever hears him play the Heynal without stopping at the broken note.
(b) She promises to take care of his parents if he dies.
(c) She promises to find out what is in the pumpkin if he dies.
(d) She promises to run to the king's palace if she ever hears him play the Heynal in its entirety.
2. In taking the job, what does Pan Andrew promise to do?
(a) He vows to write down whatever the king needs, at any time of day.
(b) He vows to play Heynal on the trumpet every hour throughout the night.
(c) He vows to help Kreutz with his experiements without telling anyone about them.
(d) He vows to play the Heynal on the trumpet every hour throughout the day.
3. What is the oath taken by the trumpeter?
(a) To play the National Anthem every morning.
(b) To warn the people inside the castle of the coming Tartars.
(c) To defend the country.
(d) To sound the trumpet each hour of the day and night until death.
4. After they leave Jan Kanty's house, what does Joseph's father tell him he can keep?
(a) The wolfdog that Joseph saw the Tartar beating earlier in the day.
(b) A friend he met while in the marketplace.
(c) Some of Jan Kanty's books.
(d) The crystal from inside the pumpkin.
5. Krakow welcomes which group of people?
(a) The Ukrainians who are fleeing the Tartars.
(b) The Russians who are fleeing the Tartars.
(c) The people of Bulgaria who try to fight the Tartars.
(d) The villagers who stay to fight the Tartars.
6. How old is the trumpeter when Poland is attacked?
(a) Nineteen or twenty.
(c) Ten or eleven.
(d) Thirty-nine or forty.
7. On the night in Chapter 7 when Joseph sees Elzbietka, what does she tell him she is worried about?
(a) She is worried about the man who lives downstairs with the old woman.
(b) She is worried about the Tartars attacking.
(c) She does not trust Tring and has noticed a change in her uncle.
(d) She is worried about her upcoming exams at school.
8. What heroic act does Joseph do while in the marketplace?
(a) He bravely rescues a young girl from a dog's attack.
(b) He catches a Tartar trying to steal food.
(c) He saves his mother from an angry mob.
(d) He saves his father from being attacked by Stefan Ostrovski.
9. In the midst of all the destruction after the attack on Krakow, there is one Polish person left alive. Who is it?
(a) The king of Krakow.
(b) The trumpeter of Kiev.
(c) The trumpeter of Wawel.
(d) The trumpeter of the Church of Our Lady Mary.
10. How many rooms does the Charnetskis' new dwelling have?
11. After his father's job is secured, what does Joseph learn he will be doing?
(a) He will be going to school.
(b) He will be selling goods in the marketplace.
(c) He will be helping his father as the king's scribe.
(d) He will be helping Jan Kanty.
12. When Joseph awakens from his nap in Chapter 4, what does he see his father doing?
(a) He sees him helping Kanty talk to the peasants.
(b) He sees him studying with Kanty.
(c) He sees him practicing the trumpet.
(d) He sees him cutting the rind away from the pumpkin.
13. Which best describes the Tartars?
(a) Inexperienced warriors.
(b) Peaceful people who just want some more land.
(c) Compassionate people who invade but do not do much damage.
(d) Like wild beasts who leave nothing alive.
14. What does Joseph do when Pan Andrew is fighting with the stranger in the caravan?
(a) He lets the stranger's horse loose.
(b) He drives the carriage for his father.
(c) He helps to break up the fight.
(d) He unloads the goods from the wagon.
15. Why is Krakow is a safe haven?
(a) The king's palace provides extra walls of protection for the refugees.
(b) There is room for many people.
(c) It has a lot of weapons.
(d) It has experienced warriors.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the scene Joseph sees when he first goes to explore the marketplace?
2. When Joseph further investigates Elzbietka's concerns, what does he see?
3. In Chapter 7, what tempting thing does Tring tell Kreutz?
4. Which best describes the Tartars' religious belief?
5. What is unusual about one of the wagons in the caravan?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)