|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of job does Jan Kanty arrange for Pan Andrew?
(a) The job of Kreutz's assistant.
(b) The job of Kanty's assistant.
(c) The job of the king's scribe.
(d) The job of the trumpter at the Church of Our Lady Mary.
2. In Chapter 2, whom does Pan Andrew say he has to come to see?
(a) Pan Jan Kanty, his friend.
(b) Pan Nicholas Kreutz, his cousin.
(c) Pan Stefan Ostrovski, his brother.
(d) Pan Andrew Tenczynski, his cousin.
3. What does Elzbietka confess to Joseph in Chapter 8?
(a) That she is in love with Joseph.
(b) That she saw a murder occur.
(c) That she wants to leave her uncle.
(d) That she thinks her uncle is possessed by Tring.
4. After Jan Kanty meets the Charnetski family for the first time, what does Pan Andrew explain to Jan Kanty?
(a) He explains that his son has stolen something and they need to go into hiding.
(b) He explains that he is in some trouble even though he has done nothing wrong.
(c) He explains that his wife is expecting a baby and they need a place to stay.
(d) He explains that he is a friend of the king and wants to serve in his guard.
5. What is the shape of the tower of the Church of Our Lady Mary?
6. When the Polish people hear the word "Tartar," they:
(a) Feel their the blood in their veins is going to freeze.
(b) Feel like dancing.
(c) Know they need to go pay some taxes.
(d) Want to eat fish.
7. When Joseph returns to the marketplace to give his family the news about their possible lodgings, what is the scene he sees?
(a) His parents' cart surrounded by the king and his royal court.
(b) His parents' cart surroundeded by people offering them a place to stay.
(c) His parents' cart surrounded by a mob of angry peasants.
(d) His parents' cart surrounded by Tartars.
8. What is the name of the fortress and castle of the king of Poland on a hill above the Vistula River?
(c) St. Ann.
(d) Cloth Hall.
9. What is unusual about one of the wagons in the caravan?
(a) It is being pulled by a man and is carrying several children.
(b) It is larger than any of the other wagons.
(c) It is led by two horses and it is carrying a very large pumpkin.
(d) It is fancier than the rest of the wagons.
10. What does Kreutz say some people believe about the Philosopher's Stone?
(a) He says some people believe that it can give answers to the meaning of life.
(b) He says some people believe that it can make a man intelligent.
(c) He says some people believe that it has great healing powers.
(d) He says some people believe that it can transform all things to gold.
11. How old is the trumpeter when Poland is attacked?
(a) Thirty-nine or forty.
(b) Ten or eleven.
(d) Nineteen or twenty.
12. What is the Heynal?
(a) The National Anthem.
(b) The hymn to Our Lady.
(c) The battle cry of the Tartars.
(d) The castle next to Wawel.
13. Which is the best description of the trumpeter as he plays amidst all of the destruction in Krakow?
(a) He is timid and meek.
(b) He is filled with a sense of triumph and joy at his bravery.
(c) He is saved because someone hears him playing and rescues him.
(d) He is fearful and trembles as he plays.
14. What do the people do when they hear the Tartars' approach in 1241?
(a) Gather up all of their ammunition to defend themselves.
(b) Stay in their villages and negotiate with the Tartars.
(c) Leave their homes with their belongings to try to escape.
(d) Head towards the army and try to attack them before they arrive in the village.
15. What is the scene Joseph sees when he first goes to explore the marketplace?
(a) He sees a Tartar boy beating a dog.
(b) He sees Pan Andrew Tenczynski.
(c) He sees Stefan Ostrovski.
(d) He sees a family from his village.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are the trumpeter's mother and sister as Poland is being attacked?
2. When the stranger gives Stas instructions in Chapter 9, what is Stas' only task?
3. Where is the Charnetski family going with the caravan?
4. To whom does Joseph hear the Tartars praying?
5. Where does Joseph find his family a place to stay?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)