|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What weapon is Truman encouraged to authorize to end the Korean Conflict?
2. Who did Truman choose to replace Marshall as his Secretary of State?
3. How old was Truman when his second term as president began?
4. What new civilian agency is set up under Truman's presidency?
5. What was a whistle-stop?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Truman choose Stevenson as his successor?
2. Why did Stevenson distance himself from Truman during the campaign for President? Was this wise?
3. Describe General MacArthur, covering the following points: 1) appearance, 2) method of speaking, 3) personality as described in the book.
4. Truman had corresponded with Churchill and Stalin, but had never met either of these leaders before Potsdam. Read through Chapter 10 again, noting Truman's observations of the two men. Pretending you are a reporter for an American newspaper, write an article describing the two men from Truman's view.
5. How did Truman react to political pressure regarding his bid for Presidency? Give specific examples.
6. Compare the way reporters on the Truman campaign trail were treated as opposed to the reporters on the Dewey train. How was this indicative of the campaigns themselves?
7. Read the coverage of the speech Truman gave on March 12, 1947, page 547 in the book. This became known as the Truman Doctrine. Why?
8. The title for this chapter is "The Heat in the Kitchen." The author is referring to the intense pressures Truman experienced as he was also beginning his run for the presidency. List each of these pressures, and then describe how Truman dealt with them. When this report is done, write an essay outlining Truman's approach to dealing with issues, and whether or not you think his methods were appropriate.
9. The title of this chapter is "The Buck Stops Here." Where does this expression come from and how does it apply to Harry Truman?
10. Stalin is described as a personable, likable man; yet he ordered the murder of millions of people in his own country. Was there any indication in the activities of the Potsdam Conference that reveal this side of his character? Give examples.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Truman's staff and administration changed when George Marshall was named as Secretary of State. List five reasons why this change happened.
Essay Topic 2
Why was Truman's method of campaigning so successful?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 5, Harry Truman changes from a military man to a business man, then to a politician. Describe in detail how each of these factors contributed to his discovering that his true calling was politics: 1) his upbringing, 2) his marriage, 3) his work ethics, 4) his environment, 5) the national economy, 6) the politics of his home state, 7) the lessons learned in the military and in the retail business.
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)