|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the origination of the term "pinko?"
2. Which country chose not to participate in the Marshall Plan and thereby caused several more countries in that bloc to pull out?
3. What major country turned Communist during Truman's second Presidency?
4. What happened to the President's normal work when he was on the campaign trail?
5. Who was the leader of the Dixiecrats?
Short Essay Questions
1. Choose one of the following issues confronting Truman in this chapter: 1) Soviet acquisition of the atom bomb, 2) North Korea invading South Korea, 3) the Berlin Airlift, or 4) rise of Senator McCarthy. In your essay, outline how Truman and his administration handled the press regarding this issue. In your opinion, was the situation presented to the public in a good way?
2. Read the coverage of the speech Truman gave on March 12, 1947, page 547 in the book. This became known as the Truman Doctrine. Why?
3. Stalin is described as a personable, likable man; yet he ordered the murder of millions of people in his own country. Was there any indication in the activities of the Potsdam Conference that reveal this side of his character? Give examples.
4. Why did Truman choose Stevenson as his successor?
5. Why was it so important for MacArthur and Truman to be in agreement on the military policy towards Korea and China?
6. When Truman is on a state trip to Mexico, he visits the grave of the child heroes. Why did this act mean so much to the Mexican people?
7. Roosevelt was unable to move without assistance, but Truman is a fast walker and a man who moves quickly and with determination. The Secret Service had to completely change their tactics to protect the President. How did this affect their procedures and organization? Do you think President Truman, based upon what you have read about him so far, was easy to work with regarding his movements around Washington DC?
8. When the Trumans take an automobile trip across the nation, they are shocked at how many people recognize them and want to see them. Why?
9. Compare the way reporters on the Truman campaign trail were treated as opposed to the reporters on the Dewey train. How was this indicative of the campaigns themselves?
10. Truman had corresponded with Churchill and Stalin, but had never met either of these leaders before Potsdam. Read through Chapter 10 again, noting Truman's observations of the two men. Pretending you are a reporter for an American newspaper, write an article describing the two men from Truman's view.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why was Truman's method of campaigning so successful?
Essay Topic 2
Harry Truman wanted to wait to marry until he had income and a future, and Bess waited patiently for years. Why do you think these young people did not just get married and live with family until they could move out on their own?
Essay Topic 3
How do you think it would have changed the Korean conflict and the world if MacArthur's recommendations to use atomic weapons on China had been followed?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)