|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the leader of the Progressive Party who was in competition with the Democrats and Republicans in the 1948 election?
2. When the U.S. and South Korean Army pushes the North Korean/Chinese back to the 38th parallel, what decision is made about the next step?
3. Where do the Trumans live in Independence?
4. During Churchill's speech in Missouri, as a guest of Truman, what term does Churchill use to describe the Soviet Union presence that became a common term?
5. Where does the only meeting in history of Truman and MacArthur take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. Did Truman conduct himself as a world leader in Potsdam? Give examples to support your answer.
2. Read the coverage of the speech Truman gave on March 12, 1947, page 547 in the book. This became known as the Truman Doctrine. Why?
3. Choose one of the following issues confronting Truman in this chapter: 1) Soviet acquisition of the atom bomb, 2) North Korea invading South Korea, 3) the Berlin Airlift, or 4) rise of Senator McCarthy. In your essay, outline how Truman and his administration handled the press regarding this issue. In your opinion, was the situation presented to the public in a good way?
4. Why did Truman choose Stevenson as his successor?
5. Stalin is described as a personable, likable man; yet he ordered the murder of millions of people in his own country. Was there any indication in the activities of the Potsdam Conference that reveal this side of his character? Give examples.
6. Truman had corresponded with Churchill and Stalin, but had never met either of these leaders before Potsdam. Read through Chapter 10 again, noting Truman's observations of the two men. Pretending you are a reporter for an American newspaper, write an article describing the two men from Truman's view.
7. Truman's own party did not actively support him in his bid for the election, even through fundraising. Why?
8. In the 1960 election, Acheson admonishes Truman to be careful about what he says. How much influence can an ex-president have in future elections?
9. When the Trumans take an automobile trip across the nation, they are shocked at how many people recognize them and want to see them. Why?
10. Roosevelt was unable to move without assistance, but Truman is a fast walker and a man who moves quickly and with determination. The Secret Service had to completely change their tactics to protect the President. How did this affect their procedures and organization? Do you think President Truman, based upon what you have read about him so far, was easy to work with regarding his movements around Washington DC?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why was Truman's method of campaigning so successful?
Essay Topic 2
Why did Truman's streak of popularity with the American people begin to fail in this phase of his career, just before his second term of office?
Essay Topic 3
How does the Truman Committee reinforce Truman's long-held belief that American large corporations are corrupt? Give specific examples.
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)