|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to the President's normal work when he was on the campaign trail?
2. How old was Truman when his second term as president began?
3. What is one Presidential first that is mentioned in this chapter?
4. When the U.S. and South Korean Army pushes the North Korean/Chinese back to the 38th parallel, what decision is made about the next step?
5. Who does Truman develop a long correspondence with after his retirement?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was it so important for MacArthur and Truman to be in agreement on the military policy towards Korea and China?
2. The title for this chapter is "The Heat in the Kitchen." The author is referring to the intense pressures Truman experienced as he was also beginning his run for the presidency. List each of these pressures, and then describe how Truman dealt with them. When this report is done, write an essay outlining Truman's approach to dealing with issues, and whether or not you think his methods were appropriate.
3. Why did Truman choose Stevenson as his successor?
4. Truman had corresponded with Churchill and Stalin, but had never met either of these leaders before Potsdam. Read through Chapter 10 again, noting Truman's observations of the two men. Pretending you are a reporter for an American newspaper, write an article describing the two men from Truman's view.
5. Stalin is described as a personable, likable man; yet he ordered the murder of millions of people in his own country. Was there any indication in the activities of the Potsdam Conference that reveal this side of his character? Give examples.
6. In the 1960 election, Acheson admonishes Truman to be careful about what he says. How much influence can an ex-president have in future elections?
7. How did Truman react to political pressure regarding his bid for Presidency? Give specific examples.
8. Read the coverage of the speech Truman gave on March 12, 1947, page 547 in the book. This became known as the Truman Doctrine. Why?
9. When Robert Oppenheimer, the director of the Manhattan Project, comes to see Truman, the President is made uncomfortable about the visit. Why?
10. When Truman is on a state trip to Mexico, he visits the grave of the child heroes. Why did this act mean so much to the Mexican people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Roosevelt made the choice of Vice President so difficult? Discuss the factors you believe led to this confusion, including Roosevelt's health, the structure of the Democratic party as it differs from today, and the tendency for Roosevelt to manipulate his team.
Essay Topic 2
Why did Truman's streak of popularity with the American people begin to fail in this phase of his career, just before his second term of office?
Essay Topic 3
Harry Truman wanted to wait to marry until he had income and a future, and Bess waited patiently for years. Why do you think these young people did not just get married and live with family until they could move out on their own?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)