|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the only meeting in history of Truman and MacArthur take place?
2. Which country chose not to participate in the Marshall Plan and thereby caused several more countries in that bloc to pull out?
3. Who was the leader of the Dixiecrats?
4. What is one Presidential first that is mentioned in this chapter?
5. What geographical designation separated South Korea from North Korea?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare the way reporters on the Truman campaign trail were treated as opposed to the reporters on the Dewey train. How was this indicative of the campaigns themselves?
2. When Truman is on a state trip to Mexico, he visits the grave of the child heroes. Why did this act mean so much to the Mexican people?
3. Describe General MacArthur, covering the following points: 1) appearance, 2) method of speaking, 3) personality as described in the book.
4. When Robert Oppenheimer, the director of the Manhattan Project, comes to see Truman, the President is made uncomfortable about the visit. Why?
5. In the issue of a President serving more than two terms, what is your opinion regarding 1) in agreement with the limit or 2) in opposition of the limit. Give at least three points for your argument.
6. How did Truman react to political pressure regarding his bid for Presidency? Give specific examples.
7. When the Trumans take an automobile trip across the nation, they are shocked at how many people recognize them and want to see them. Why?
8. Read the coverage of the speech Truman gave on March 12, 1947, page 547 in the book. This became known as the Truman Doctrine. Why?
9. Why was it so important for MacArthur and Truman to be in agreement on the military policy towards Korea and China?
10. The title for this chapter is "The Heat in the Kitchen." The author is referring to the intense pressures Truman experienced as he was also beginning his run for the presidency. List each of these pressures, and then describe how Truman dealt with them. When this report is done, write an essay outlining Truman's approach to dealing with issues, and whether or not you think his methods were appropriate.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Truman's streak of popularity with the American people begin to fail in this phase of his career, just before his second term of office?
Essay Topic 2
How do you think it would have changed the Korean conflict and the world if MacArthur's recommendations to use atomic weapons on China had been followed?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the presidency of Truman with that of Roosevelt, Lincoln and Jackson, with regard to challenges during term, character, decision making abilities, and family values.
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)