|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What new civilian agency is set up under Truman's presidency?
2. What was a Dixiecrat?
3. Where do the Trumans live in Independence?
4. Of all the labor strikes after the war, which is the one that brings Truman to the strongest action?
5. Who in the government has the final say regarding military matters?
Short Essay Questions
1. Roosevelt was unable to move without assistance, but Truman is a fast walker and a man who moves quickly and with determination. The Secret Service had to completely change their tactics to protect the President. How did this affect their procedures and organization? Do you think President Truman, based upon what you have read about him so far, was easy to work with regarding his movements around Washington DC?
2. Truman's own party did not actively support him in his bid for the election, even through fundraising. Why?
3. When the Trumans take an automobile trip across the nation, they are shocked at how many people recognize them and want to see them. Why?
4. In the issue of a President serving more than two terms, what is your opinion regarding 1) in agreement with the limit or 2) in opposition of the limit. Give at least three points for your argument.
5. When Truman is on a state trip to Mexico, he visits the grave of the child heroes. Why did this act mean so much to the Mexican people?
6. Describe General MacArthur, covering the following points: 1) appearance, 2) method of speaking, 3) personality as described in the book.
7. Compare the way reporters on the Truman campaign trail were treated as opposed to the reporters on the Dewey train. How was this indicative of the campaigns themselves?
8. In the 1960 election, Acheson admonishes Truman to be careful about what he says. How much influence can an ex-president have in future elections?
9. How did Truman react to political pressure regarding his bid for Presidency? Give specific examples.
10. Why did Truman choose Stevenson as his successor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From all accounts, Truman was an excellent soldier and fearless leader during WWI. What skills do you think he took with him from this experience that would make him a good President? Cover these points in your answer: 1) his personality, 2) his courage, 3) his abilities to make decisions, 4) giving him an international rather than a small town American perspective.
Essay Topic 2
Why did Truman's streak of popularity with the American people begin to fail in this phase of his career, just before his second term of office?
Essay Topic 3
Describe in detail the significant events in Truman's first term as Senator from Missouri, and cover the following points, using the facts, and then your opinion as to how this event affected Truman's policy, reputation and personal feelings.
1. Treatment of him by fellow Senators, especially the one from his own state
2. Bess choosing to stay away from Washington most of the time
3. Truman's loyalty to Roosevelt
4. Truman's loyalty to Pendergast
5. The official investigation of Pendergast
6. The difficulty of getting re-elected without his traditional means of support
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)