|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When dividing up Germany, what geographical descriptions did the Potsdam Conference use?
2. What condition of the White House was hidden from the Press until after the election?
3. Whose appointment to Truman's cabinet made a positive and calming effect?
4. What weapon is Truman encouraged to authorize to end the Korean Conflict?
5. How many people did Oppenheimer estimate the bomb would kill?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the issue of a President serving more than two terms, what is your opinion regarding 1) in agreement with the limit or 2) in opposition of the limit. Give at least three points for your argument.
2. In the 1960 election, Acheson admonishes Truman to be careful about what he says. How much influence can an ex-president have in future elections?
3. The title of this chapter is "The Buck Stops Here." Where does this expression come from and how does it apply to Harry Truman?
4. Describe General MacArthur, covering the following points: 1) appearance, 2) method of speaking, 3) personality as described in the book.
5. When Truman is on a state trip to Mexico, he visits the grave of the child heroes. Why did this act mean so much to the Mexican people?
6. The title for this chapter is "The Heat in the Kitchen." The author is referring to the intense pressures Truman experienced as he was also beginning his run for the presidency. List each of these pressures, and then describe how Truman dealt with them. When this report is done, write an essay outlining Truman's approach to dealing with issues, and whether or not you think his methods were appropriate.
7. When Robert Oppenheimer, the director of the Manhattan Project, comes to see Truman, the President is made uncomfortable about the visit. Why?
8. Truman's own party did not actively support him in his bid for the election, even through fundraising. Why?
9. Why did Truman choose Stevenson as his successor?
10. Did Truman conduct himself as a world leader in Potsdam? Give examples to support your answer.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Truman and Roosevelt were men from completely different backgrounds and political experience. What specific obstacles did Truman have to overcome when assuming President Roosevelt's job that were caused by Roosevelt's attitude towards 1) world affairs, 2) the power of the presidency, and 3) sharing secrets with others outside his private circle.
Essay Topic 2
Why did Truman's streak of popularity with the American people begin to fail in this phase of his career, just before his second term of office?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the presidency of Truman with that of Roosevelt, Lincoln and Jackson, with regard to challenges during term, character, decision making abilities, and family values.
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)