|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was it so important to create an Atomic Energy Commission?
2. Whose appointment to Truman's cabinet made a positive and calming effect?
3. Who was the leader of the Dixiecrats?
4. What major country turned Communist during Truman's second Presidency?
5. What was the origination of the term "pinko?"
Short Essay Questions
1. In the 1960 election, Acheson admonishes Truman to be careful about what he says. How much influence can an ex-president have in future elections?
2. Choose one of the following issues confronting Truman in this chapter: 1) Soviet acquisition of the atom bomb, 2) North Korea invading South Korea, 3) the Berlin Airlift, or 4) rise of Senator McCarthy. In your essay, outline how Truman and his administration handled the press regarding this issue. In your opinion, was the situation presented to the public in a good way?
3. In the issue of a President serving more than two terms, what is your opinion regarding 1) in agreement with the limit or 2) in opposition of the limit. Give at least three points for your argument.
4. Why did Truman choose Stevenson as his successor?
5. The title of this chapter is "The Buck Stops Here." Where does this expression come from and how does it apply to Harry Truman?
6. When Robert Oppenheimer, the director of the Manhattan Project, comes to see Truman, the President is made uncomfortable about the visit. Why?
7. Read the coverage of the speech Truman gave on March 12, 1947, page 547 in the book. This became known as the Truman Doctrine. Why?
8. Compare the way reporters on the Truman campaign trail were treated as opposed to the reporters on the Dewey train. How was this indicative of the campaigns themselves?
9. Why did Stevenson distance himself from Truman during the campaign for President? Was this wise?
10. When the Trumans take an automobile trip across the nation, they are shocked at how many people recognize them and want to see them. Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why were Americans, and southern Democrats in particular, so opposed to the inclusion of minorities in the rights of other Americans?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the presidency of Truman with that of Roosevelt, Lincoln and Jackson, with regard to challenges during term, character, decision making abilities, and family values.
Essay Topic 3
Once Truman was introduced to politics back in Independence, Missouri, he knew he had found his career. In your opinion, was Truman a good politician? Address these topics in your essay: 1) political connections, 2) political strategy, 3) political decisions
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)