|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What major country turned Communist during Truman's second Presidency?
2. What family member does Truman lose in July of 1947?
3. Who does Truman develop a long correspondence with after his retirement?
4. Why was it so important to create an Atomic Energy Commission?
5. How much did the White House renovation cost?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Truman is on a state trip to Mexico, he visits the grave of the child heroes. Why did this act mean so much to the Mexican people?
2. In the 1960 election, Acheson admonishes Truman to be careful about what he says. How much influence can an ex-president have in future elections?
3. Why did Truman choose Stevenson as his successor?
4. Truman had corresponded with Churchill and Stalin, but had never met either of these leaders before Potsdam. Read through Chapter 10 again, noting Truman's observations of the two men. Pretending you are a reporter for an American newspaper, write an article describing the two men from Truman's view.
5. When Robert Oppenheimer, the director of the Manhattan Project, comes to see Truman, the President is made uncomfortable about the visit. Why?
6. Roosevelt was unable to move without assistance, but Truman is a fast walker and a man who moves quickly and with determination. The Secret Service had to completely change their tactics to protect the President. How did this affect their procedures and organization? Do you think President Truman, based upon what you have read about him so far, was easy to work with regarding his movements around Washington DC?
7. Why did Stevenson distance himself from Truman during the campaign for President? Was this wise?
8. Read the coverage of the speech Truman gave on March 12, 1947, page 547 in the book. This became known as the Truman Doctrine. Why?
9. How did Truman react to political pressure regarding his bid for Presidency? Give specific examples.
10. When the Trumans take an automobile trip across the nation, they are shocked at how many people recognize them and want to see them. Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the traits and stories of Harry Truman's ancestors influence his life? Describe the attributes of two of the following people described in Part 1, Chapter 1: Solomon Young, Harriet Louisa Young, Andy Truman, Nancy Tyler Holmes, Uncle Harrison, Mattie Young.
Essay Topic 2
Based upon what is reported in this novel regarding Japan's attitude towards surrender and the outcome of the war, would you have ordered the use of the atomic bomb?
Essay Topic 3
Truman and Roosevelt were men from completely different backgrounds and political experience. What specific obstacles did Truman have to overcome when assuming President Roosevelt's job that were caused by Roosevelt's attitude towards 1) world affairs, 2) the power of the presidency, and 3) sharing secrets with others outside his private circle.
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)