|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which country was able to assemble an atomic bomb after the USA?
2. Of all the labor strikes after the war, which is the one that brings Truman to the strongest action?
3. How did Truman's personal staff feel about him?
4. How much monthly income did Truman have after leaving the office of president?
5. When the U.S. and South Korean Army pushes the North Korean/Chinese back to the 38th parallel, what decision is made about the next step?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Truman is on a state trip to Mexico, he visits the grave of the child heroes. Why did this act mean so much to the Mexican people?
2. When the Trumans take an automobile trip across the nation, they are shocked at how many people recognize them and want to see them. Why?
3. Why was it so important for MacArthur and Truman to be in agreement on the military policy towards Korea and China?
4. In the 1960 election, Acheson admonishes Truman to be careful about what he says. How much influence can an ex-president have in future elections?
5. Choose one of the following issues confronting Truman in this chapter: 1) Soviet acquisition of the atom bomb, 2) North Korea invading South Korea, 3) the Berlin Airlift, or 4) rise of Senator McCarthy. In your essay, outline how Truman and his administration handled the press regarding this issue. In your opinion, was the situation presented to the public in a good way?
6. In the issue of a President serving more than two terms, what is your opinion regarding 1) in agreement with the limit or 2) in opposition of the limit. Give at least three points for your argument.
7. Stalin is described as a personable, likable man; yet he ordered the murder of millions of people in his own country. Was there any indication in the activities of the Potsdam Conference that reveal this side of his character? Give examples.
8. The title for this chapter is "The Heat in the Kitchen." The author is referring to the intense pressures Truman experienced as he was also beginning his run for the presidency. List each of these pressures, and then describe how Truman dealt with them. When this report is done, write an essay outlining Truman's approach to dealing with issues, and whether or not you think his methods were appropriate.
9. Truman had corresponded with Churchill and Stalin, but had never met either of these leaders before Potsdam. Read through Chapter 10 again, noting Truman's observations of the two men. Pretending you are a reporter for an American newspaper, write an article describing the two men from Truman's view.
10. Roosevelt was unable to move without assistance, but Truman is a fast walker and a man who moves quickly and with determination. The Secret Service had to completely change their tactics to protect the President. How did this affect their procedures and organization? Do you think President Truman, based upon what you have read about him so far, was easy to work with regarding his movements around Washington DC?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 5, Harry Truman changes from a military man to a business man, then to a politician. Describe in detail how each of these factors contributed to his discovering that his true calling was politics: 1) his upbringing, 2) his marriage, 3) his work ethics, 4) his environment, 5) the national economy, 6) the politics of his home state, 7) the lessons learned in the military and in the retail business.
Essay Topic 2
Harry Truman wanted to wait to marry until he had income and a future, and Bess waited patiently for years. Why do you think these young people did not just get married and live with family until they could move out on their own?
Essay Topic 3
Why were Americans, and southern Democrats in particular, so opposed to the inclusion of minorities in the rights of other Americans?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)