|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When dividing up Germany, what geographical descriptions did the Potsdam Conference use?
2. Who were "The Big Three" of the Potsdam conference?
3. How old was Truman when his second term as president began?
4. Why did Truman write an angry letter to the newspaper?
5. What condition of the White House was hidden from the Press until after the election?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe General MacArthur, covering the following points: 1) appearance, 2) method of speaking, 3) personality as described in the book.
2. When the Trumans take an automobile trip across the nation, they are shocked at how many people recognize them and want to see them. Why?
3. When Truman is on a state trip to Mexico, he visits the grave of the child heroes. Why did this act mean so much to the Mexican people?
4. The title of this chapter is "The Buck Stops Here." Where does this expression come from and how does it apply to Harry Truman?
5. Compare the way reporters on the Truman campaign trail were treated as opposed to the reporters on the Dewey train. How was this indicative of the campaigns themselves?
6. The title for this chapter is "The Heat in the Kitchen." The author is referring to the intense pressures Truman experienced as he was also beginning his run for the presidency. List each of these pressures, and then describe how Truman dealt with them. When this report is done, write an essay outlining Truman's approach to dealing with issues, and whether or not you think his methods were appropriate.
7. Truman had corresponded with Churchill and Stalin, but had never met either of these leaders before Potsdam. Read through Chapter 10 again, noting Truman's observations of the two men. Pretending you are a reporter for an American newspaper, write an article describing the two men from Truman's view.
8. Read the coverage of the speech Truman gave on March 12, 1947, page 547 in the book. This became known as the Truman Doctrine. Why?
9. How did Truman react to political pressure regarding his bid for Presidency? Give specific examples.
10. Roosevelt was unable to move without assistance, but Truman is a fast walker and a man who moves quickly and with determination. The Secret Service had to completely change their tactics to protect the President. How did this affect their procedures and organization? Do you think President Truman, based upon what you have read about him so far, was easy to work with regarding his movements around Washington DC?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From all accounts, Truman was an excellent soldier and fearless leader during WWI. What skills do you think he took with him from this experience that would make him a good President? Cover these points in your answer: 1) his personality, 2) his courage, 3) his abilities to make decisions, 4) giving him an international rather than a small town American perspective.
Essay Topic 2
Why did Truman's streak of popularity with the American people begin to fail in this phase of his career, just before his second term of office?
Essay Topic 3
How did the introduction of atomic weapons change the world in 1) warfare, 2) alliances with other countries, 3) definition of world power, and 4) America's perception of itself?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)