|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't the military deploy more divisions in North Korea?
2. Why did Truman write an angry letter to the newspaper?
3. How many people did Oppenheimer estimate the bomb would kill?
4. What country's military is in possession of Potsdam at the time of the conference?
5. How did the leaders entertain each other in the evenings of the conference?
Short Essay Questions
1. Read the coverage of the speech Truman gave on March 12, 1947, page 547 in the book. This became known as the Truman Doctrine. Why?
2. Roosevelt was unable to move without assistance, but Truman is a fast walker and a man who moves quickly and with determination. The Secret Service had to completely change their tactics to protect the President. How did this affect their procedures and organization? Do you think President Truman, based upon what you have read about him so far, was easy to work with regarding his movements around Washington DC?
3. In the 1960 election, Acheson admonishes Truman to be careful about what he says. How much influence can an ex-president have in future elections?
4. Truman's own party did not actively support him in his bid for the election, even through fundraising. Why?
5. Compare the way reporters on the Truman campaign trail were treated as opposed to the reporters on the Dewey train. How was this indicative of the campaigns themselves?
6. Why did Truman choose Stevenson as his successor?
7. Did Truman conduct himself as a world leader in Potsdam? Give examples to support your answer.
8. Truman had corresponded with Churchill and Stalin, but had never met either of these leaders before Potsdam. Read through Chapter 10 again, noting Truman's observations of the two men. Pretending you are a reporter for an American newspaper, write an article describing the two men from Truman's view.
9. When Robert Oppenheimer, the director of the Manhattan Project, comes to see Truman, the President is made uncomfortable about the visit. Why?
10. Why was it so important for MacArthur and Truman to be in agreement on the military policy towards Korea and China?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe in detail the significant events in Truman's first term as Senator from Missouri, and cover the following points, using the facts, and then your opinion as to how this event affected Truman's policy, reputation and personal feelings.
1. Treatment of him by fellow Senators, especially the one from his own state
2. Bess choosing to stay away from Washington most of the time
3. Truman's loyalty to Roosevelt
4. Truman's loyalty to Pendergast
5. The official investigation of Pendergast
6. The difficulty of getting re-elected without his traditional means of support
Essay Topic 2
The title of Chapter 17 is Final Days. How did Truman view his term as President, and what accomplishments do you think he was most proud of?
Essay Topic 3
How do you think it would have changed the Korean conflict and the world if MacArthur's recommendations to use atomic weapons on China had been followed?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)