|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the leader of the Dixiecrats?
2. How much monthly income did Truman have after leaving the office of president?
3. Who was Truman's Vice President before Barkley?
4. Whose appointment to Truman's cabinet made a positive and calming effect?
5. How many people did Oppenheimer estimate the bomb would kill?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Truman react to political pressure regarding his bid for Presidency? Give specific examples.
2. When the Trumans take an automobile trip across the nation, they are shocked at how many people recognize them and want to see them. Why?
3. Roosevelt was unable to move without assistance, but Truman is a fast walker and a man who moves quickly and with determination. The Secret Service had to completely change their tactics to protect the President. How did this affect their procedures and organization? Do you think President Truman, based upon what you have read about him so far, was easy to work with regarding his movements around Washington DC?
4. Compare the way reporters on the Truman campaign trail were treated as opposed to the reporters on the Dewey train. How was this indicative of the campaigns themselves?
5. Read the coverage of the speech Truman gave on March 12, 1947, page 547 in the book. This became known as the Truman Doctrine. Why?
6. Why did Stevenson distance himself from Truman during the campaign for President? Was this wise?
7. Why did Truman choose Stevenson as his successor?
8. In the issue of a President serving more than two terms, what is your opinion regarding 1) in agreement with the limit or 2) in opposition of the limit. Give at least three points for your argument.
9. When Robert Oppenheimer, the director of the Manhattan Project, comes to see Truman, the President is made uncomfortable about the visit. Why?
10. In the 1960 election, Acheson admonishes Truman to be careful about what he says. How much influence can an ex-president have in future elections?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why was Truman's method of campaigning so successful?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the presidency of Truman with that of Roosevelt, Lincoln and Jackson, with regard to challenges during term, character, decision making abilities, and family values.
Essay Topic 3
Truman and Roosevelt were men from completely different backgrounds and political experience. What specific obstacles did Truman have to overcome when assuming President Roosevelt's job that were caused by Roosevelt's attitude towards 1) world affairs, 2) the power of the presidency, and 3) sharing secrets with others outside his private circle.
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)