|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the American's atom bomb tested?
2. Who of Truman's long time friends was most instrumental in advising him regarding the Palestine problem?
3. In what country was Potsdam located?
4. What was Barkley's "prop-stop" campaign?
5. How many people did Oppenheimer estimate the bomb would kill?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe General MacArthur, covering the following points: 1) appearance, 2) method of speaking, 3) personality as described in the book.
2. Did Truman conduct himself as a world leader in Potsdam? Give examples to support your answer.
3. When Robert Oppenheimer, the director of the Manhattan Project, comes to see Truman, the President is made uncomfortable about the visit. Why?
4. In the issue of a President serving more than two terms, what is your opinion regarding 1) in agreement with the limit or 2) in opposition of the limit. Give at least three points for your argument.
5. When Truman is on a state trip to Mexico, he visits the grave of the child heroes. Why did this act mean so much to the Mexican people?
6. Why did Truman choose Stevenson as his successor?
7. When the Trumans take an automobile trip across the nation, they are shocked at how many people recognize them and want to see them. Why?
8. Read the coverage of the speech Truman gave on March 12, 1947, page 547 in the book. This became known as the Truman Doctrine. Why?
9. Roosevelt was unable to move without assistance, but Truman is a fast walker and a man who moves quickly and with determination. The Secret Service had to completely change their tactics to protect the President. How did this affect their procedures and organization? Do you think President Truman, based upon what you have read about him so far, was easy to work with regarding his movements around Washington DC?
10. How did Truman react to political pressure regarding his bid for Presidency? Give specific examples.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the traits and stories of Harry Truman's ancestors influence his life? Describe the attributes of two of the following people described in Part 1, Chapter 1: Solomon Young, Harriet Louisa Young, Andy Truman, Nancy Tyler Holmes, Uncle Harrison, Mattie Young.
Essay Topic 2
Describe in detail the significant events in Truman's first term as Senator from Missouri, and cover the following points, using the facts, and then your opinion as to how this event affected Truman's policy, reputation and personal feelings.
1. Treatment of him by fellow Senators, especially the one from his own state
2. Bess choosing to stay away from Washington most of the time
3. Truman's loyalty to Roosevelt
4. Truman's loyalty to Pendergast
5. The official investigation of Pendergast
6. The difficulty of getting re-elected without his traditional means of support
Essay Topic 3
Why were Americans, and southern Democrats in particular, so opposed to the inclusion of minorities in the rights of other Americans?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)