|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one Presidential first that is mentioned in this chapter?
2. What career is Margaret Truman pursuing?
3. What geographical designation separated South Korea from North Korea?
4. What country's military is in possession of Potsdam at the time of the conference?
5. What was a Dixiecrat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Truman's own party did not actively support him in his bid for the election, even through fundraising. Why?
2. In the 1960 election, Acheson admonishes Truman to be careful about what he says. How much influence can an ex-president have in future elections?
3. Roosevelt was unable to move without assistance, but Truman is a fast walker and a man who moves quickly and with determination. The Secret Service had to completely change their tactics to protect the President. How did this affect their procedures and organization? Do you think President Truman, based upon what you have read about him so far, was easy to work with regarding his movements around Washington DC?
4. Compare the way reporters on the Truman campaign trail were treated as opposed to the reporters on the Dewey train. How was this indicative of the campaigns themselves?
5. How did Truman react to political pressure regarding his bid for Presidency? Give specific examples.
6. When the Trumans take an automobile trip across the nation, they are shocked at how many people recognize them and want to see them. Why?
7. In the issue of a President serving more than two terms, what is your opinion regarding 1) in agreement with the limit or 2) in opposition of the limit. Give at least three points for your argument.
8. When Robert Oppenheimer, the director of the Manhattan Project, comes to see Truman, the President is made uncomfortable about the visit. Why?
9. Why was it so important for MacArthur and Truman to be in agreement on the military policy towards Korea and China?
10. Choose one of the following issues confronting Truman in this chapter: 1) Soviet acquisition of the atom bomb, 2) North Korea invading South Korea, 3) the Berlin Airlift, or 4) rise of Senator McCarthy. In your essay, outline how Truman and his administration handled the press regarding this issue. In your opinion, was the situation presented to the public in a good way?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the Truman Committee reinforce Truman's long-held belief that American large corporations are corrupt? Give specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
Truman's staff and administration changed when George Marshall was named as Secretary of State. List five reasons why this change happened.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 5, Harry Truman changes from a military man to a business man, then to a politician. Describe in detail how each of these factors contributed to his discovering that his true calling was politics: 1) his upbringing, 2) his marriage, 3) his work ethics, 4) his environment, 5) the national economy, 6) the politics of his home state, 7) the lessons learned in the military and in the retail business.
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)