|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Adlai Stevenson's position when he runs for President?
2. When the U.S. and South Korean Army pushes the North Korean/Chinese back to the 38th parallel, what decision is made about the next step?
3. What weapon is Truman encouraged to authorize to end the Korean Conflict?
4. What condition of the White House was hidden from the Press until after the election?
5. What famous landmark did Churchill visit when in Berlin?
Short Essay Questions
1. The title for this chapter is "The Heat in the Kitchen." The author is referring to the intense pressures Truman experienced as he was also beginning his run for the presidency. List each of these pressures, and then describe how Truman dealt with them. When this report is done, write an essay outlining Truman's approach to dealing with issues, and whether or not you think his methods were appropriate.
2. When the Trumans take an automobile trip across the nation, they are shocked at how many people recognize them and want to see them. Why?
3. Compare the way reporters on the Truman campaign trail were treated as opposed to the reporters on the Dewey train. How was this indicative of the campaigns themselves?
4. Choose one of the following issues confronting Truman in this chapter: 1) Soviet acquisition of the atom bomb, 2) North Korea invading South Korea, 3) the Berlin Airlift, or 4) rise of Senator McCarthy. In your essay, outline how Truman and his administration handled the press regarding this issue. In your opinion, was the situation presented to the public in a good way?
5. When Truman is on a state trip to Mexico, he visits the grave of the child heroes. Why did this act mean so much to the Mexican people?
6. In the issue of a President serving more than two terms, what is your opinion regarding 1) in agreement with the limit or 2) in opposition of the limit. Give at least three points for your argument.
7. Read the coverage of the speech Truman gave on March 12, 1947, page 547 in the book. This became known as the Truman Doctrine. Why?
8. Stalin is described as a personable, likable man; yet he ordered the murder of millions of people in his own country. Was there any indication in the activities of the Potsdam Conference that reveal this side of his character? Give examples.
9. Why was it so important for MacArthur and Truman to be in agreement on the military policy towards Korea and China?
10. When Robert Oppenheimer, the director of the Manhattan Project, comes to see Truman, the President is made uncomfortable about the visit. Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Harry Truman wanted to wait to marry until he had income and a future, and Bess waited patiently for years. Why do you think these young people did not just get married and live with family until they could move out on their own?
Essay Topic 2
Why did Truman's streak of popularity with the American people begin to fail in this phase of his career, just before his second term of office?
Essay Topic 3
Truman's staff and administration changed when George Marshall was named as Secretary of State. List five reasons why this change happened.
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)