|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was a whistle-stop?
2. What weapon is Truman encouraged to authorize to end the Korean Conflict?
3. What was the origination of the term "pinko?"
4. Where do the Trumans live in Independence?
5. How many people did the bomb actually kill in Hiroshima?
Essay Topic 1
How did the traits and stories of Harry Truman's ancestors influence his life? Describe the attributes of two of the following people described in Part 1, Chapter 1: Solomon Young, Harriet Louisa Young, Andy Truman, Nancy Tyler Holmes, Uncle Harrison, Mattie Young.
Essay Topic 2
Describe in detail the significant events in Truman's first term as Senator from Missouri, and cover the following points, using the facts, and then your opinion as to how this event affected Truman's policy, reputation and personal feelings.
1. Treatment of him by fellow Senators, especially the one from his own state
2. Bess choosing to stay away from Washington most of the time
3. Truman's loyalty to Roosevelt
4. Truman's loyalty to Pendergast
5. The official investigation of Pendergast
6. The difficulty of getting re-elected without his traditional means of support
Essay Topic 3
Why did Truman's streak of popularity with the American people begin to fail in this phase of his career, just before his second term of office?
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)