|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was a Dixiecrat?
2. Who was the leader of the Progressive Party who was in competition with the Democrats and Republicans in the 1948 election?
3. How many months had Truman been President before both Germany and Japan surrendered?
4. During Churchill's speech in Missouri, as a guest of Truman, what term does Churchill use to describe the Soviet Union presence that became a common term?
5. What new civilian agency is set up under Truman's presidency?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Robert Oppenheimer, the director of the Manhattan Project, comes to see Truman, the President is made uncomfortable about the visit. Why?
2. The title of this chapter is "The Buck Stops Here." Where does this expression come from and how does it apply to Harry Truman?
3. Truman's own party did not actively support him in his bid for the election, even through fundraising. Why?
4. Describe General MacArthur, covering the following points: 1) appearance, 2) method of speaking, 3) personality as described in the book.
5. Read the coverage of the speech Truman gave on March 12, 1947, page 547 in the book. This became known as the Truman Doctrine. Why?
6. Stalin is described as a personable, likable man; yet he ordered the murder of millions of people in his own country. Was there any indication in the activities of the Potsdam Conference that reveal this side of his character? Give examples.
7. Why did Truman choose Stevenson as his successor?
8. Did Truman conduct himself as a world leader in Potsdam? Give examples to support your answer.
9. In the issue of a President serving more than two terms, what is your opinion regarding 1) in agreement with the limit or 2) in opposition of the limit. Give at least three points for your argument.
10. Why was it so important for MacArthur and Truman to be in agreement on the military policy towards Korea and China?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From all accounts, Truman was an excellent soldier and fearless leader during WWI. What skills do you think he took with him from this experience that would make him a good President? Cover these points in your answer: 1) his personality, 2) his courage, 3) his abilities to make decisions, 4) giving him an international rather than a small town American perspective.
Essay Topic 2
The title of Chapter 17 is Final Days. How did Truman view his term as President, and what accomplishments do you think he was most proud of?
Essay Topic 3
Why was Truman's method of campaigning so successful?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)