|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two projects occupied Truman for the remainder of his life?
2. How old was Truman when he passed away?
3. What longtime cabinet member resigns due to a disagreement with Truman?
4. What industry does Truman attempt to turn over to government control in April of 1952?
5. Who do Truman's supporters and staff encourage him to fire as a result of Fulbright's Senate committee report?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe General MacArthur, covering the following points: 1) appearance, 2) method of speaking, 3) personality as described in the book.
2. The title for this chapter is "The Heat in the Kitchen." The author is referring to the intense pressures Truman experienced as he was also beginning his run for the presidency. List each of these pressures, and then describe how Truman dealt with them. When this report is done, write an essay outlining Truman's approach to dealing with issues, and whether or not you think his methods were appropriate.
3. Why was it so important for MacArthur and Truman to be in agreement on the military policy towards Korea and China?
4. Compare the way reporters on the Truman campaign trail were treated as opposed to the reporters on the Dewey train. How was this indicative of the campaigns themselves?
5. Did Truman conduct himself as a world leader in Potsdam? Give examples to support your answer.
6. In the issue of a President serving more than two terms, what is your opinion regarding 1) in agreement with the limit or 2) in opposition of the limit. Give at least three points for your argument.
7. Why did Truman choose Stevenson as his successor?
8. Why did Stevenson distance himself from Truman during the campaign for President? Was this wise?
9. When Truman is on a state trip to Mexico, he visits the grave of the child heroes. Why did this act mean so much to the Mexican people?
10. Truman's own party did not actively support him in his bid for the election, even through fundraising. Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why was Truman's method of campaigning so successful?
Essay Topic 2
How did the traits and stories of Harry Truman's ancestors influence his life? Describe the attributes of two of the following people described in Part 1, Chapter 1: Solomon Young, Harriet Louisa Young, Andy Truman, Nancy Tyler Holmes, Uncle Harrison, Mattie Young.
Essay Topic 3
How do you think it would have changed the Korean conflict and the world if MacArthur's recommendations to use atomic weapons on China had been followed?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)