|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much did the White House renovation cost?
(a) Nothing - all work was donated
(c) 5.8 million dollars
(d) 1 million dollars
2. Why was it so important to create an Atomic Energy Commission?
(a) To make Truman look good
(b) To provide civilian, not military, control of this new awesome power
(c) To have a method of channeling funding to the project
(d) To prevent spies from access to the secrets
3. How many people did Oppenheimer estimate the bomb would kill?
(c) Two million
4. What is one Presidential first that is mentioned in this chapter?
(a) First president to ride in an automobile
(b) First presidential address to be printed in the newspaper
(c) First presidential address to be broadcast on TV
(d) First Jewish president
5. What career is Margaret Truman pursuing?
(b) Computer Science
(d) Lab Technician
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Truman's primary goal of the Potsdam Conference?
2. What was a whistle-stop?
3. How old was Truman when his second term as president began?
4. What new civilian agency is set up under Truman's presidency?
5. How many months had Truman been President before both Germany and Japan surrendered?
Short Essay Questions
1. Did Truman conduct himself as a world leader in Potsdam? Give examples to support your answer.
2. Truman's own party did not actively support him in his bid for the election, even through fundraising. Why?
3. In the issue of a President serving more than two terms, what is your opinion regarding 1) in agreement with the limit or 2) in opposition of the limit. Give at least three points for your argument.
4. In the 1960 election, Acheson admonishes Truman to be careful about what he says. How much influence can an ex-president have in future elections?
5. Describe General MacArthur, covering the following points: 1) appearance, 2) method of speaking, 3) personality as described in the book.
6. Truman had corresponded with Churchill and Stalin, but had never met either of these leaders before Potsdam. Read through Chapter 10 again, noting Truman's observations of the two men. Pretending you are a reporter for an American newspaper, write an article describing the two men from Truman's view.
7. Why was it so important for MacArthur and Truman to be in agreement on the military policy towards Korea and China?
8. The title of this chapter is "The Buck Stops Here." Where does this expression come from and how does it apply to Harry Truman?
9. Read the coverage of the speech Truman gave on March 12, 1947, page 547 in the book. This became known as the Truman Doctrine. Why?
10. How did Truman react to political pressure regarding his bid for Presidency? Give specific examples.
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)