|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Truman when he passed away?
2. What weapon is Truman encouraged to authorize to end the Korean Conflict?
(a) Atom bomb
(b) Biological warfare
(c) Heavy tanks
3. What was a Dixiecrat?
(a) A politician who endorsed the NAACP
(b) Members of the southern Democratic party who withdrew from the Truman's Democratic Party because of his stand on Civil Rights.
(c) A type of paper cup
(d) A politician who whistles Dixie
4. What career is Margaret Truman pursuing?
(b) Computer Science
(d) Lab Technician
5. How many people did Oppenheimer estimate the bomb would kill?
(b) Two million
Short Answer Questions
1. What was a whistle-stop?
2. How much did the White House renovation cost?
3. What is Adlai Stevenson's position when he runs for President?
4. Who does Truman develop a long correspondence with after his retirement?
5. How many months had Truman been President before both Germany and Japan surrendered?
Short Essay Questions
1. Choose one of the following issues confronting Truman in this chapter: 1) Soviet acquisition of the atom bomb, 2) North Korea invading South Korea, 3) the Berlin Airlift, or 4) rise of Senator McCarthy. In your essay, outline how Truman and his administration handled the press regarding this issue. In your opinion, was the situation presented to the public in a good way?
2. Describe General MacArthur, covering the following points: 1) appearance, 2) method of speaking, 3) personality as described in the book.
3. Did Truman conduct himself as a world leader in Potsdam? Give examples to support your answer.
4. Truman had corresponded with Churchill and Stalin, but had never met either of these leaders before Potsdam. Read through Chapter 10 again, noting Truman's observations of the two men. Pretending you are a reporter for an American newspaper, write an article describing the two men from Truman's view.
5. The title of this chapter is "The Buck Stops Here." Where does this expression come from and how does it apply to Harry Truman?
6. Read the coverage of the speech Truman gave on March 12, 1947, page 547 in the book. This became known as the Truman Doctrine. Why?
7. Compare the way reporters on the Truman campaign trail were treated as opposed to the reporters on the Dewey train. How was this indicative of the campaigns themselves?
8. When Truman is on a state trip to Mexico, he visits the grave of the child heroes. Why did this act mean so much to the Mexican people?
9. Why did Stevenson distance himself from Truman during the campaign for President? Was this wise?
10. Why did Truman choose Stevenson as his successor?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)