|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of Truman's family members accompanied him on the campaign trail?
(a) His sister and mother
(b) Bess and Margaret
(c) His brother and his brother's wife and sons
(d) His mother and father
2. What was the Turnip Congress?
(a) The special congressional session called by Truman during the time of Missouri's Turnip Day
(b) A session of congress where dissidents threw turnips at the congressmen
(c) A special committee that turned up important information
(d) A session of congress where only bills concerning turnips were discussed
3. How did Truman's personal staff feel about him?
(a) They thought he was boring
(b) They feared him
(c) They admired and respected him
(d) They disliked him intensely
4. Who was the leader of the Dixiecrats?
(a) Jefferson Davis
(b) Adlai Stevenson
(c) Strom Thurmond
(d) Henry Wallace
5. Who do Truman's supporters and staff encourage him to fire as a result of Fulbright's Senate committee report?
(a) George Patton
(b) Bill Boyle, Democratic National Chairman
(c) General MacArthur
(d) George Marshall
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the origination of the term "pinko?"
2. Who were "The Big Three" of the Potsdam conference?
3. Who of Truman's long time friends was most instrumental in advising him regarding the Palestine problem?
4. What happened to the President's normal work when he was on the campaign trail?
5. Who is Truman's first choice for his replacement as President?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the 1960 election, Acheson admonishes Truman to be careful about what he says. How much influence can an ex-president have in future elections?
2. Did Truman conduct himself as a world leader in Potsdam? Give examples to support your answer.
3. Stalin is described as a personable, likable man; yet he ordered the murder of millions of people in his own country. Was there any indication in the activities of the Potsdam Conference that reveal this side of his character? Give examples.
4. Read the coverage of the speech Truman gave on March 12, 1947, page 547 in the book. This became known as the Truman Doctrine. Why?
5. Describe General MacArthur, covering the following points: 1) appearance, 2) method of speaking, 3) personality as described in the book.
6. Why was it so important for MacArthur and Truman to be in agreement on the military policy towards Korea and China?
7. How did Truman react to political pressure regarding his bid for Presidency? Give specific examples.
8. Truman had corresponded with Churchill and Stalin, but had never met either of these leaders before Potsdam. Read through Chapter 10 again, noting Truman's observations of the two men. Pretending you are a reporter for an American newspaper, write an article describing the two men from Truman's view.
9. Choose one of the following issues confronting Truman in this chapter: 1) Soviet acquisition of the atom bomb, 2) North Korea invading South Korea, 3) the Berlin Airlift, or 4) rise of Senator McCarthy. In your essay, outline how Truman and his administration handled the press regarding this issue. In your opinion, was the situation presented to the public in a good way?
10. Why did Truman choose Stevenson as his successor?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)