|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What weapon is Truman encouraged to authorize to end the Korean Conflict?
(a) Biological warfare
(b) Heavy tanks
(d) Atom bomb
2. How did Truman's personal staff feel about him?
(a) They admired and respected him
(b) They feared him
(c) They thought he was boring
(d) They disliked him intensely
3. Who do Truman's supporters and staff encourage him to fire as a result of Fulbright's Senate committee report?
(a) George Patton
(b) George Marshall
(c) General MacArthur
(d) Bill Boyle, Democratic National Chairman
4. What new civilian agency is set up under Truman's presidency?
(a) Air Force
(b) Federal Bureau of Investigation
(c) Central Intelligence Agency
(d) Committee to Re-Elect the President
5. Where does the only meeting in history of Truman and MacArthur take place?
(b) New Mexico
(c) Washington DC
(d) Wake Island
Short Answer Questions
1. Of all the labor strikes after the war, which is the one that brings Truman to the strongest action?
2. How old was Truman when he passed away?
3. Whose appointment to Truman's cabinet made a positive and calming effect?
4. When dividing up Germany, what geographical descriptions did the Potsdam Conference use?
5. What was a Dixiecrat?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the 1960 election, Acheson admonishes Truman to be careful about what he says. How much influence can an ex-president have in future elections?
2. Compare the way reporters on the Truman campaign trail were treated as opposed to the reporters on the Dewey train. How was this indicative of the campaigns themselves?
3. Roosevelt was unable to move without assistance, but Truman is a fast walker and a man who moves quickly and with determination. The Secret Service had to completely change their tactics to protect the President. How did this affect their procedures and organization? Do you think President Truman, based upon what you have read about him so far, was easy to work with regarding his movements around Washington DC?
4. The title of this chapter is "The Buck Stops Here." Where does this expression come from and how does it apply to Harry Truman?
5. Read the coverage of the speech Truman gave on March 12, 1947, page 547 in the book. This became known as the Truman Doctrine. Why?
6. Truman had corresponded with Churchill and Stalin, but had never met either of these leaders before Potsdam. Read through Chapter 10 again, noting Truman's observations of the two men. Pretending you are a reporter for an American newspaper, write an article describing the two men from Truman's view.
7. Why did Truman choose Stevenson as his successor?
8. Describe General MacArthur, covering the following points: 1) appearance, 2) method of speaking, 3) personality as described in the book.
9. When the Trumans take an automobile trip across the nation, they are shocked at how many people recognize them and want to see them. Why?
10. Did Truman conduct himself as a world leader in Potsdam? Give examples to support your answer.
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)