|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Adlai Stevenson's position when he runs for President?
(a) Private Citizen
(b) Governor of Illinois
(c) Senator from New Mexico
(d) Secretary of War
2. How old was Truman when his second term as president began?
3. Where was the American's atom bomb tested?
(b) Washington DC
(c) New Mexico
(d) Bikini Atoll
4. What career is Margaret Truman pursuing?
(b) Lab Technician
(d) Computer Science
5. How many people did the bomb actually kill in Hiroshima?
(a) Two million
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one Presidential first that is mentioned in this chapter?
2. How did the three world leaders enter the conference room in Potsdam?
3. When the U.S. and South Korean Army pushes the North Korean/Chinese back to the 38th parallel, what decision is made about the next step?
4. What condition of the White House was hidden from the Press until after the election?
5. What longtime cabinet member resigns due to a disagreement with Truman?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the issue of a President serving more than two terms, what is your opinion regarding 1) in agreement with the limit or 2) in opposition of the limit. Give at least three points for your argument.
2. Why did Stevenson distance himself from Truman during the campaign for President? Was this wise?
3. Stalin is described as a personable, likable man; yet he ordered the murder of millions of people in his own country. Was there any indication in the activities of the Potsdam Conference that reveal this side of his character? Give examples.
4. When Truman is on a state trip to Mexico, he visits the grave of the child heroes. Why did this act mean so much to the Mexican people?
5. How did Truman react to political pressure regarding his bid for Presidency? Give specific examples.
6. When the Trumans take an automobile trip across the nation, they are shocked at how many people recognize them and want to see them. Why?
7. In the 1960 election, Acheson admonishes Truman to be careful about what he says. How much influence can an ex-president have in future elections?
8. Why was it so important for MacArthur and Truman to be in agreement on the military policy towards Korea and China?
9. The title of this chapter is "The Buck Stops Here." Where does this expression come from and how does it apply to Harry Truman?
10. The title for this chapter is "The Heat in the Kitchen." The author is referring to the intense pressures Truman experienced as he was also beginning his run for the presidency. List each of these pressures, and then describe how Truman dealt with them. When this report is done, write an essay outlining Truman's approach to dealing with issues, and whether or not you think his methods were appropriate.
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)