|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose appointment to Truman's cabinet made a positive and calming effect?
(a) George Marshall
(b) Jimmy Brynes
(c) Charlie Ross
(d) Henry Wallace
2. Why did Truman write an angry letter to the newspaper?
(a) His Sunday paper did not arrive on time
(b) A reporter had published a comment he thought was off record
(c) A reporter was stalking Margaret
(d) A columnist had given Margaret's concert a bad review
3. At the end of the war, how many service men and women were coming back to the American work force?
(a) 12 million
(b) 10 million
(c) 1 million
(d) None - they all re-enlisted
4. How many months had Truman been President before both Germany and Japan surrendered?
5. Why was it so important to create an Atomic Energy Commission?
(a) To provide civilian, not military, control of this new awesome power
(b) To prevent spies from access to the secrets
(c) To make Truman look good
(d) To have a method of channeling funding to the project
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Truman's primary goal of the Potsdam Conference?
2. What happens to Margaret after her father finishes her Presidential terms?
3. How did the leaders entertain each other in the evenings of the conference?
4. Which of Truman's family members accompanied him on the campaign trail?
5. What family member does Truman lose in July of 1947?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Stevenson distance himself from Truman during the campaign for President? Was this wise?
2. The title of this chapter is "The Buck Stops Here." Where does this expression come from and how does it apply to Harry Truman?
3. Describe General MacArthur, covering the following points: 1) appearance, 2) method of speaking, 3) personality as described in the book.
4. How did Truman react to political pressure regarding his bid for Presidency? Give specific examples.
5. In the issue of a President serving more than two terms, what is your opinion regarding 1) in agreement with the limit or 2) in opposition of the limit. Give at least three points for your argument.
6. Read the coverage of the speech Truman gave on March 12, 1947, page 547 in the book. This became known as the Truman Doctrine. Why?
7. In the 1960 election, Acheson admonishes Truman to be careful about what he says. How much influence can an ex-president have in future elections?
8. Choose one of the following issues confronting Truman in this chapter: 1) Soviet acquisition of the atom bomb, 2) North Korea invading South Korea, 3) the Berlin Airlift, or 4) rise of Senator McCarthy. In your essay, outline how Truman and his administration handled the press regarding this issue. In your opinion, was the situation presented to the public in a good way?
9. When the Trumans take an automobile trip across the nation, they are shocked at how many people recognize them and want to see them. Why?
10. Did Truman conduct himself as a world leader in Potsdam? Give examples to support your answer.
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)