|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't the military deploy more divisions in North Korea?
(a) MacArthur refuses to allow it
(b) Without depleting the European military presence, there are no more divisions.
(c) The Allies won't allow it
(d) Truman does not think it is necessary
2. Which of Truman's family members accompanied him on the campaign trail?
(a) His mother and father
(b) His brother and his brother's wife and sons
(c) His sister and mother
(d) Bess and Margaret
3. Who was the leader of the Dixiecrats?
(a) Jefferson Davis
(b) Strom Thurmond
(c) Henry Wallace
(d) Adlai Stevenson
4. What career is Margaret Truman pursuing?
(b) Lab Technician
(d) Computer Science
5. How did the three world leaders enter the conference room in Potsdam?
(a) Through the kitchen door
(b) Through the main door
(c) They were all on teleconference and did not use the doors
(d) By three separate doors
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Truman's personal staff feel about him?
2. What was the origination of the term "pinko?"
3. What geographical designation separated South Korea from North Korea?
4. How old was Truman when he passed away?
5. What two projects occupied Truman for the remainder of his life?
Short Essay Questions
1. Did Truman conduct himself as a world leader in Potsdam? Give examples to support your answer.
2. Why did Stevenson distance himself from Truman during the campaign for President? Was this wise?
3. The title for this chapter is "The Heat in the Kitchen." The author is referring to the intense pressures Truman experienced as he was also beginning his run for the presidency. List each of these pressures, and then describe how Truman dealt with them. When this report is done, write an essay outlining Truman's approach to dealing with issues, and whether or not you think his methods were appropriate.
4. Why was it so important for MacArthur and Truman to be in agreement on the military policy towards Korea and China?
5. Why did Truman choose Stevenson as his successor?
6. Compare the way reporters on the Truman campaign trail were treated as opposed to the reporters on the Dewey train. How was this indicative of the campaigns themselves?
7. Stalin is described as a personable, likable man; yet he ordered the murder of millions of people in his own country. Was there any indication in the activities of the Potsdam Conference that reveal this side of his character? Give examples.
8. The title of this chapter is "The Buck Stops Here." Where does this expression come from and how does it apply to Harry Truman?
9. Truman had corresponded with Churchill and Stalin, but had never met either of these leaders before Potsdam. Read through Chapter 10 again, noting Truman's observations of the two men. Pretending you are a reporter for an American newspaper, write an article describing the two men from Truman's view.
10. Truman's own party did not actively support him in his bid for the election, even through fundraising. Why?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)