|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Truman's first choice for his replacement as President?
(a) Henry Wallace
(b) Dwight D. Eisenhower
(c) Strom Thurmand
(d) Joe McCarthy
2. What was Truman's primary goal of the Potsdam Conference?
(a) To tell the other countries about the atom bomb
(b) To get Stalin to commit to entering the war against Japan
(c) To find an excuse to use the atom bomb
(d) To see Europe for free
3. What happens to the White House during Truman's second term?
(a) It is completely renovated
(b) An airplane crashes into it
(c) It is attacked by the British
(d) It burns down
4. What weapon is Truman encouraged to authorize to end the Korean Conflict?
(a) Heavy tanks
(c) Atom bomb
(d) Biological warfare
5. What was the name of President Truman's custom built railway car?
(a) The Titanic
(b) The George Washington
(c) The Ferdinand Magellan
(d) Pullman Car #3457113
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the leaders entertain each other in the evenings of the conference?
2. What new civilian agency is set up under Truman's presidency?
3. How did the three world leaders enter the conference room in Potsdam?
4. What is one Presidential first that is mentioned in this chapter?
5. What is Adlai Stevenson's position when he runs for President?
Short Essay Questions
1. Truman's own party did not actively support him in his bid for the election, even through fundraising. Why?
2. How did Truman react to political pressure regarding his bid for Presidency? Give specific examples.
3. Roosevelt was unable to move without assistance, but Truman is a fast walker and a man who moves quickly and with determination. The Secret Service had to completely change their tactics to protect the President. How did this affect their procedures and organization? Do you think President Truman, based upon what you have read about him so far, was easy to work with regarding his movements around Washington DC?
4. The title of this chapter is "The Buck Stops Here." Where does this expression come from and how does it apply to Harry Truman?
5. When the Trumans take an automobile trip across the nation, they are shocked at how many people recognize them and want to see them. Why?
6. Why did Stevenson distance himself from Truman during the campaign for President? Was this wise?
7. Why was it so important for MacArthur and Truman to be in agreement on the military policy towards Korea and China?
8. When Truman is on a state trip to Mexico, he visits the grave of the child heroes. Why did this act mean so much to the Mexican people?
9. Did Truman conduct himself as a world leader in Potsdam? Give examples to support your answer.
10. Why did Truman choose Stevenson as his successor?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)