|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the original funding for the Truman Committee?
(d) $1 million
2. What US President did Truman see while he was working in Kansas City?
(a) Herbert Hoover
(b) Bill Clinton
(c) Abraham Lilncoln
(d) Theodore Roosevelt
3. What was a dollar-a-year man?
(a) A businessman who kept his original salary from his company and worked for the government for a token small salary, all for the war effort.
(b) A man whose only income was one dollar
(c) A man who stole one dollar per day from the government
(d) A man whose only worth was one dollar
4. What is the number one recommendation from the S-1 Interim Committee to Truman?
(a) Use the bomb against Germany
(b) Never use the bomb
(c) Give the bomb to Africa
(d) The bomb should be used against Japan as soon as possible
5. Who were Truman's lifelong heroes?
(a) Abraham Lincoln and Malcom X
(b) George Bush and Bill Clinton
(c) George Washington and Thomas Jefferson
(d) Andrew Jackson and Robert E. Lee
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the Truman family live when in D.C. until Harry became President?
2. Who did Roosevelt want as his Vice President?
3. When Germany advances on Moscow, what does President Roosevelt offer Stalin?
4. What was the real name of the Truman Committee?
5. How many men and boys were killed in Quantrille's raid on Lawrence, Kansas?
Short Essay Questions
1. Truman's job at the bank in Kansas City taught him about fiscal responsibility. How would this assist a potential president?
2. Was Truman adequately prepared to assume the role of President? If you choose to answer no, detail what attributes or knowledge Truman needed to do a good job. If you choose to answer yes, outline what qualities or experience Truman had to prepare him for the job.
3. Truman was up against several other individuals for the position of Vice President. Why do you think he was the best candidate? Cover personal integrity, ability to gain votes, political record & experience, and life experience.
4. Some wives of politicians are active in their husband's campaigns and in D.C. social life to assist their reputations. Bess Truman was definitely not this type of political wife. Why do you think this is?
5. In the first chapter of the book, Truman's ancestors are the focus, and he does not enter the story until late in this chapter. Why would the author begin in this manner?
6. Uncle Harrison is mentioned many times in the early chapters of the book as someone Truman admired and enjoyed. Why?
7. Was trench warfare a reasonable strategy of fighting a war? Why or why not?
8. Tom Pedergast was considered a villain by some, and a Robin Hood by others. Why?
9. When Truman receives a summons to the White House on April 12, 1945, why did he run instead of walk? How is this sequence of events so different from what it would be in today's world?
10. Although money was always a problem for Truman, when given the opportunity to make millions at the expense of the government, he chose not to. Why?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)