|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the real name of the Truman Committee?
(a) Committee to Re-Elect President Roosevelt
(b) Senate Special Committee to Investigate the National Defense Program
(c) Committee on Un-American Affairs
(d) Committee on Defense Contractors
2. What type of company does Harry Truman fail in after the mine?
(c) Oil & Refining
(d) Shoe Sales
3. What major personal events occur for Harry Truman in Chapter 5?
(a) He is divorced from his first wife and moves to Kansas City
(b) He is ordained as a preacher and married
(c) He is forced to undergo a paternity test
(d) He gets married and his daughter is born
4. Harry Truman always carried a favorite poem in his wallet. What was that poem and the author?
(a) "Blessing the Boats" by Lucille Clifton
(b) "Election Year" by Donald Revell
(c) "The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost
(d) "Locksley Hall" by Tennyson
5. What was the Armistice?
(a) The name of the transport ship taking Truman home after WWI
(b) The name Truman gave his old car
(c) The name given to the plantation where Truman retired
(d) The treaty signed between the Germans and the Allies agreeing to end the war
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Chapter 2 entitled "Model Boy?"
2. From what other state did most of the people settling Missouri migrate?
3. What was Independence Missouri's nickname in the 1840s?
4. What is the name of the ship Harry Truman and his battalion are on for the Atlantic crossing?
5. Why is Truman referred to as the "Senator from Pendergast" instead of the "Senator from Missouri"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Reading over the description of Independence, MO, beginning on Page 50, describe Truman's hometown as it relates to 1) economic viability, 2) founders and citizens, and 3) education.
2. Re-read the account of the committee's hearings with Irwin Works, a steel producing plant. What is your opinion of Truman's tactics in determining the truth?
3. At one time, Truman had expressed a desire to attend West Point, but after his experience in war, he decided not to go. Why?
4. The Mormons were not welcome in Missouri, although immigrants from all other states were allowed to settle. What were the fundamental differences in the approach the Mormons took to settle, and why was this so difficult for Missouri people?
5. Although money was always a problem for Truman, when given the opportunity to make millions at the expense of the government, he chose not to. Why?
6. Truman's job at the bank in Kansas City taught him about fiscal responsibility. How would this assist a potential president?
7. Describe Harry's father and mother, using the following criteria: 1) appearance, 2) religious beliefs and upbringing, 3) admirable qualities, 4) values they can teach Truman to make him a good President, leader and man.
8. Compared to the Slaughter family farm, the Trumans were always broke. Why do you think this was so?
9. Why did so many respected senators and congressional representatives oppose America's entry into the War with Germany?
10. The title of this chapter is "Patriot". Why do you think the author chose this title?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)