|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In November of 1930, something happened to Margaret Truman. What was it?
(a) Someone stole her purse
(b) She met her future husband
(c) She had a baby
(d) Someone attempted to kidnap her.
2. What was Truman's attitude towards running for Vice President?
(a) He was afraid of running
(b) He did not have an opinion
(c) He was eager to run
(d) He did not want to
3. What questionable organization was Truman encouraged to join by his party?
(a) Ku Klux Klan
(c) Local country club
4. How were Truman's ancestors related to the bushwhackers?
(a) Through Jim Crow Chiles
(b) There was no connection
(c) Bess's marriage to Harry
(d) Through Uncle Harrison
5. Harry Truman travels to see Bess in Grandview. How many miles one way is the trip?
(a) Three hundred Miles
(b) Sixteen Miles
(c) One Mile
(d) Fifty Miles
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the names of Harry's brother and sister?
2. According to his letters to Bess, what part of Truman's command duties did he dislike the most?
3. What is the number one recommendation from the S-1 Interim Committee to Truman?
4. Where was Harry S Truman born?
5. How many members did the Truman Committee have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Tom Pendergast's advice to Harry Truman as he left for D.C. was "Work hard, keep your mouth shut, and answer your mail." Was this good advice for the new senator? Why?
2. Although money was always a problem for Truman, when given the opportunity to make millions at the expense of the government, he chose not to. Why?
3. Bess Wallace is considered "ideal" by Harry, and is well respected by the other children. What qualities does she display that make her ideal, and do you think she would be popular by today's standards?
4. Some wives of politicians are active in their husband's campaigns and in D.C. social life to assist their reputations. Bess Truman was definitely not this type of political wife. Why do you think this is?
5. Compared to the Slaughter family farm, the Trumans were always broke. Why do you think this was so?
6. Describe Harry's father and mother, using the following criteria: 1) appearance, 2) religious beliefs and upbringing, 3) admirable qualities, 4) values they can teach Truman to make him a good President, leader and man.
7. Why do you think Truman was bored with any jobs other than politics?
8. When Truman receives a summons to the White House on April 12, 1945, why did he run instead of walk? How is this sequence of events so different from what it would be in today's world?
9. Why did Roosevelt keep so many secrets from his Vice President? List your opinion regarding Roosevelt's 1) possession of power, 2) distrust of anyone other than his chosen circle, and 3) whether or not the president should keep some secrets from the rest of the world.
10. In the first chapter of the book, Truman's ancestors are the focus, and he does not enter the story until late in this chapter. Why would the author begin in this manner?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)