|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What job does Truman take between his judgeships?
(a) Writing a newspaper column as a music critic
(b) Running whiskey for the Pendergast Organization
(c) Selling newspaper and magazine subscriptions
(d) Selling memberships in the Kansas City Automobile Club
2. How did Bess Wallace's father die?
(a) He committed suicide by shooting himself
(b) His plane crashed
(c) He had terminal cancer
(d) He was in a car accident
3. What afflictions did Harry have in childhood?
(b) Speech impediment and runny nose
(c) Nearsightedness and diphtheria
(d) Diarrhea and farsightedness
4. Why does the Truman family move to Kansas City?
(a) The Truman family were asked to leave town
(b) Harry Truman forced them to move for his political ambition
(c) John Truman has lost the family business and property due to bad investments in wheat futures
(d) John Truman left the family to join the war
5. Where did the Truman family live when in D.C. until Harry became President?
(a) Blair House
(b) Missouri embassy
(c) 4701 Connecticut Avenue
(d) 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Truman's men move their equipment around France?
2. Who were Harry Truman's parents?
3. Who in Truman's family passes away in November of 1914?
4. Why is Truman referred to as the "Senator from Pendergast" instead of the "Senator from Missouri"?
5. When Harry was nine, his family moved to Independence. He met a girl at Sunday School and fell in love that lasted his whole life. Who was this girl?
Short Essay Questions
1. Bess Wallace is considered "ideal" by Harry, and is well respected by the other children. What qualities does she display that make her ideal, and do you think she would be popular by today's standards?
2. Why do you think Truman was bored with any jobs other than politics?
3. The primary candidate, Roosevelt, did not appear at the Democratic convention in 1944, and his preference for Vice President was not clear. How did this affect those in charge of the Party at the convention?
4. Why did the Kansas-Nebraska Act cause so much trouble in Missouri?
5. How is Truman's approach to the press so different from Roosevelt's?
6. Re-read the section on U.S. Steel's involvement in manufacturing and supplying the Navy with defective steel. What was their motivation for this deception? How did they rationalize it with the Truman Committee? In their opinion, was the action of the US Steel Company right or wrong?
7. Truman's job at the bank in Kansas City taught him about fiscal responsibility. How would this assist a potential president?
8. The title of this chapter is "Patriot". Why do you think the author chose this title?
9. Why do you think the land around Independence was called Blue River Country?
10. Why did Roosevelt keep so many secrets from his Vice President? List your opinion regarding Roosevelt's 1) possession of power, 2) distrust of anyone other than his chosen circle, and 3) whether or not the president should keep some secrets from the rest of the world.
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)