|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What ship did Truman take to the Potsdam conference?
(a) The Augusta
(b) The Titanic
(c) The George Washington
(d) The USS United States
2. What political party did Harry, his father, and most of the adults in Independence belong to?
(c) Green Party
3. What does the Truman farm produce?
(d) Bermuda grass
4. How many men and boys were killed in Quantrille's raid on Lawrence, Kansas?
5. What was Harry Truman's first paid job?
(a) Newspaper route
(b) Sweeping, dusting and cleaning at Clinton's Drugstore in Independence
(c) Bicycle courier for a bank in Kansas City
(d) Cleaning and painting houses in his neighborhood
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the names of Harry's brother and sister?
2. Who won WWI?
3. What essential materials were in short supply as America prepared for war?
4. In the eyes of the Truman Committee, what governmental department was the most to blame for bad planning?
5. When Harry was nine, his family moved to Independence. He met a girl at Sunday School and fell in love that lasted his whole life. Who was this girl?
Short Essay Questions
1. Was trench warfare a reasonable strategy of fighting a war? Why or why not?
2. Truman's reputation as a fair but uncompromising leader is established during his chairmanship of the Truman Committee. Why?
3. Truman was up against several other individuals for the position of Vice President. Why do you think he was the best candidate? Cover personal integrity, ability to gain votes, political record & experience, and life experience.
4. Tom Pendergast's advice to Harry Truman as he left for D.C. was "Work hard, keep your mouth shut, and answer your mail." Was this good advice for the new senator? Why?
5. In the first chapter of the book, Truman's ancestors are the focus, and he does not enter the story until late in this chapter. Why would the author begin in this manner?
6. Describe Harry's father and mother, using the following criteria: 1) appearance, 2) religious beliefs and upbringing, 3) admirable qualities, 4) values they can teach Truman to make him a good President, leader and man.
7. How is Truman's approach to the press so different from Roosevelt's?
8. Some wives of politicians are active in their husband's campaigns and in D.C. social life to assist their reputations. Bess Truman was definitely not this type of political wife. Why do you think this is?
9. Re-read the section on U.S. Steel's involvement in manufacturing and supplying the Navy with defective steel. What was their motivation for this deception? How did they rationalize it with the Truman Committee? In their opinion, was the action of the US Steel Company right or wrong?
10. Why do you think Truman was bored with any jobs other than politics?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)