|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who won WWI?
(b) Soviet Union
2. Harry Truman travels to see Bess in Grandview. How many miles one way is the trip?
(a) Fifty Miles
(b) Three hundred Miles
(c) Sixteen Miles
(d) One Mile
3. Why does Harry Truman leave his job in Kansas City?
(a) To marry Bess
(b) He was fired
(c) To help the family with the farm.
(d) To join the Army
4. According to his letters to Bess, what part of Truman's command duties did he dislike the most?
(a) Meting out discipline to his troops.
(b) Wearing the uniform
(c) Writing reports to command
(d) Meeting with the other captains
5. In 1841, what was considered the extreme frontier of the USA?
(b) Western Missouri
(c) Southern Georgia
(d) Western Pennsylvania
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose photographs does Harry carry in his uniform pocket during the entire war?
2. How many members did the Truman Committee have?
3. What did Harry's mother say to him each time he left the house?
4. Who did Roosevelt want as his Vice President?
5. When Harry was nine, his family moved to Independence. He met a girl at Sunday School and fell in love that lasted his whole life. Who was this girl?
Short Essay Questions
1. What experience does Truman bring to this Senate investigation? Outline specifically which jobs he held in the past that would contribute to his ability to lead this important committee.
2. Although money was always a problem for Truman, when given the opportunity to make millions at the expense of the government, he chose not to. Why?
3. Why was it important for Truman to spend so much time as a new President with the funeral of Roosevelt?
4. Tom Pedergast was considered a villain by some, and a Robin Hood by others. Why?
5. Some wives of politicians are active in their husband's campaigns and in D.C. social life to assist their reputations. Bess Truman was definitely not this type of political wife. Why do you think this is?
6. Harry Truman left his home and his country to defend another country's border. He mentions that "we owe it to Lafayette" - what does this mean?
7. Describe Harry's father and mother, using the following criteria: 1) appearance, 2) religious beliefs and upbringing, 3) admirable qualities, 4) values they can teach Truman to make him a good President, leader and man.
8. Uncle Harrison is mentioned many times in the early chapters of the book as someone Truman admired and enjoyed. Why?
9. At one time, Truman had expressed a desire to attend West Point, but after his experience in war, he decided not to go. Why?
10. Truman is placed in charge of one of the most unruly battery divisions in the Army, yet he forms them into one of the most efficient and admired in his Battalion. How did he do this? .
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)