|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Roosevelt want as his Vice President?
(a) Teddy Roosevelt
(b) Unknown - Roosevelt changed his mind often during the VP discussions with his staff
(c) Adlai Stevenson
(d) Harry Truman
2. What does Bess suggest when Harry announces his decision to join the military?
(a) That he take warm clothes with him
(b) That they get married immediately
(c) That he find another girlfriend
(d) That she join as well and go with him
3. When did the Democratic party decide to place Truman as Vice President on their ticket?
(a) When Roosevelt died
(b) When Roosevelt became ill
(c) At the Democratic National Convention in 1944.
(d) Three years in advance
4. Who were Harry Truman's parents?
(a) Bill Truman and Elizabeth Taylor
(b) John Truman and Martha Ellen Young
(c) Harry Truman Sr and Elizabeth Young
(d) Solomon Young and Mary Jane Truman
5. Why does Harry Truman leave his job in Kansas City?
(a) To join the Army
(b) To marry Bess
(c) He was fired
(d) To help the family with the farm.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is cost-plus construction?
2. What type of company does Harry Truman fail in after the mine?
3. In the eyes of the Truman Committee, what governmental department was the most to blame for bad planning?
4. At their meeting in August of 1944, what did Roosevelt give to Truman to give to his wife and daughter?
5. What does Harry give as a reason to join the military and go to war?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the first chapter of the book, Truman's ancestors are the focus, and he does not enter the story until late in this chapter. Why would the author begin in this manner?
2. The author entitled Chapter 8 "Numbered Days." Whose days are being referred to here?
3. Why do you think the land around Independence was called Blue River Country?
4. Tom Pedergast was considered a villain by some, and a Robin Hood by others. Why?
5. Although money was always a problem for Truman, when given the opportunity to make millions at the expense of the government, he chose not to. Why?
6. Truman is placed in charge of one of the most unruly battery divisions in the Army, yet he forms them into one of the most efficient and admired in his Battalion. How did he do this? .
7. The Mormons were not welcome in Missouri, although immigrants from all other states were allowed to settle. What were the fundamental differences in the approach the Mormons took to settle, and why was this so difficult for Missouri people?
8. Compared to the Slaughter family farm, the Trumans were always broke. Why do you think this was so?
9. The title of this chapter is "Patriot". Why do you think the author chose this title?
10. Re-read the account of the committee's hearings with Irwin Works, a steel producing plant. What is your opinion of Truman's tactics in determining the truth?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)