|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were the nicknames for the divisions in the Missouri Democratic Party?
(a) Hares and Turtles
(b) Goats and Rabbits
(c) Rats and Pigs
(d) Donkeys and Elephants
2. Who does Truman appoint as his Secretary of State?
(a) Teddy Roosevelt
(b) Jimmy Byrnes
(c) Robert E. Lee
(d) Henry Wallace
3. What are two traits Truman especially disliked about his fellow politicians?
(a) Dishonesty and smoking
(b) Womanizing and corruption
(c) Drinking and playing cards
(d) Loud talking and smoking
4. How did young Harry Truman like to occupy his time?
(a) In his room playing Dungeons and Dragons
(b) Playing baseball, basketball and football
(c) Playing the piano, reading books, and being with his family.
(d) Shoplifting from the pharmacy and smoking with friends
5. For most of the people in Independence in the 1800's, who was their hero?
(a) George Bush
(b) Andrew Jackson
(c) George Washington
(d) Abraham Lincoln
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the man in charge of the American Expeditionary Forces in France in WWI?
2. How was Truman's personal life used against him in the 1940 election?
3. When did the Democratic party decide to place Truman as Vice President on their ticket?
4. In the extended family of the Truman household, who disciplined Margaret?
5. What ship did Truman take to the Potsdam conference?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think the land around Independence was called Blue River Country?
2. Bess Wallace is considered "ideal" by Harry, and is well respected by the other children. What qualities does she display that make her ideal, and do you think she would be popular by today's standards?
3. Although Harry did not partake in sports or outdoor activities as other boys, no one ever called him a "sissy." Why do you think that was?
4. The title of this chapter is "Patriot". Why do you think the author chose this title?
5. Reading over the description of Independence, MO, beginning on Page 50, describe Truman's hometown as it relates to 1) economic viability, 2) founders and citizens, and 3) education.
6. Why do you think Truman was bored with any jobs other than politics?
7. Re-read the account of the committee's hearings with Irwin Works, a steel producing plant. What is your opinion of Truman's tactics in determining the truth?
8. The primary candidate, Roosevelt, did not appear at the Democratic convention in 1944, and his preference for Vice President was not clear. How did this affect those in charge of the Party at the convention?
9. Tom Pendergast's advice to Harry Truman as he left for D.C. was "Work hard, keep your mouth shut, and answer your mail." Was this good advice for the new senator? Why?
10. Do you think Harry was a good farmer? Explain your answer with examples from Chapter 3. .
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)