|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the real name of the Truman Committee?
(a) Committee on Defense Contractors
(b) Committee to Re-Elect President Roosevelt
(c) Senate Special Committee to Investigate the National Defense Program
(d) Committee on Un-American Affairs
2. Where did the Truman family live until the Roosevelt family departed the White House?
(a) Blair House, Washington DC
(b) Key West, FL
(c) Independence, MO
(d) New York, New York
3. What questionable organization was Truman encouraged to join by his party?
(a) Local country club
(c) Ku Klux Klan
4. Who was the man in charge of the American Expeditionary Forces in France in WWI?
(a) General DeGaulle
(b) General Eisenhower
(c) General Pershing
(d) General Patton
5. What was one voting faction in this election that had never been involved in presidential elections before?
(a) Blacks were allowed to vote.
(b) Jews were allowed to vote
(c) Family pets, if pedigreed, were allowed to vote
(d) Women were allowed to vote
Short Answer Questions
1. What was an overriding concern for Truman in his early years as a Senator in Washington?
2. Who were Truman's lifelong heroes?
3. How was Truman's personal life used against him in the 1940 election?
4. What new inventions did Truman never learn to use or like?
5. What did Truman do when he was suspicious about the defense industry overspending?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the atmosphere of defense contractor spending contribute to the Canol Project?
2. Read Part II of Chapter 5 again regarding Truman & Jacobson. Did the partners exercise good judgment in their selection of product, marketing and customers? Why do you think the store failed?
3. Why did so many respected senators and congressional representatives oppose America's entry into the War with Germany?
4. Truman is placed in charge of one of the most unruly battery divisions in the Army, yet he forms them into one of the most efficient and admired in his Battalion. How did he do this? .
5. Why did the Kansas-Nebraska Act cause so much trouble in Missouri?
6. Why do you think the land around Independence was called Blue River Country?
7. Tom Pendergast's advice to Harry Truman as he left for D.C. was "Work hard, keep your mouth shut, and answer your mail." Was this good advice for the new senator? Why?
8. The author entitled Chapter 8 "Numbered Days." Whose days are being referred to here?
9. Re-read the section on U.S. Steel's involvement in manufacturing and supplying the Navy with defective steel. What was their motivation for this deception? How did they rationalize it with the Truman Committee? In their opinion, was the action of the US Steel Company right or wrong?
10. Senator Truman's committee to investigate defense spending was timely and changed the way he was viewed by his colleagues and the public. Was that his purpose in proposing this committee? Why do you think he started this effort, and did he accomplish his goals?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)