|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Harry Truman leave his job in Kansas City?
(a) To marry Bess
(b) To help the family with the farm.
(c) He was fired
(d) To join the Army
2. What was a dollar-a-year man?
(a) A man whose only worth was one dollar
(b) A businessman who kept his original salary from his company and worked for the government for a token small salary, all for the war effort.
(c) A man whose only income was one dollar
(d) A man who stole one dollar per day from the government
3. What was Independence Missouri's nickname in the 1840s?
(a) Land of Milk and Honey
(b) Queen City of the Trails
(c) Land of Enchantment
(d) Mormon Paradise
4. In the eyes of the Truman Committee, what governmental department was the most to blame for bad planning?
(a) Department of Agriculture
(b) Office of Production Management
(c) Defense Department
(d) Navy Department
5. Who was the Vice President of the United States under Roosevelt in 1943?
(a) Andrew Jackson
(b) Henry Wallace
(c) George Bush Sr.
(d) Richard Nixon
Short Answer Questions
1. When Truman sends Harry Hopkins to talk to Stalin, he says "use diplomatic language or what?"
2. What was Roosevelt's continuing admonition to his departments regarding defense production in 1941?
3. Which of Roosevelt's policies did Truman support the most enthusiastically?
4. What party did Truman belong to?
5. What afflictions did Harry have in childhood?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Truman was bored with any jobs other than politics?
2. Was Truman adequately prepared to assume the role of President? If you choose to answer no, detail what attributes or knowledge Truman needed to do a good job. If you choose to answer yes, outline what qualities or experience Truman had to prepare him for the job.
3. Although Harry did not partake in sports or outdoor activities as other boys, no one ever called him a "sissy." Why do you think that was?
4. Read Part II of Chapter 5 again regarding Truman & Jacobson. Did the partners exercise good judgment in their selection of product, marketing and customers? Why do you think the store failed?
5. Re-read the account of the committee's hearings with Irwin Works, a steel producing plant. What is your opinion of Truman's tactics in determining the truth?
6. In the first chapter of the book, Truman's ancestors are the focus, and he does not enter the story until late in this chapter. Why would the author begin in this manner?
7. Truman's reputation as a fair but uncompromising leader is established during his chairmanship of the Truman Committee. Why?
8. Why did Roosevelt keep so many secrets from his Vice President? List your opinion regarding Roosevelt's 1) possession of power, 2) distrust of anyone other than his chosen circle, and 3) whether or not the president should keep some secrets from the rest of the world.
9. Truman was up against several other individuals for the position of Vice President. Why do you think he was the best candidate? Cover personal integrity, ability to gain votes, political record & experience, and life experience.
10. Harry Truman left his home and his country to defend another country's border. He mentions that "we owe it to Lafayette" - what does this mean?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)