|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Chapter 2 entitled "Model Boy?"
(a) Harry S. Truman liked to build airplane models
(b) Harry S. Truman's mother was a world famous model
(c) Harry S. Truman was a child actor
(d) Harry S. Truman was an excellent student, great friend, faithful son, never in trouble, industrious and kind.
2. What was the name of Roosevelt's beloved dog?
(a) Rin Tin Tin
3. Which of Roosevelt's policies did Truman support the most enthusiastically?
(a) The Pentagon Papers
(b) The New Deal
(c) The Old Deal
(d) The X-Files
4. When Truman sends Harry Hopkins to talk to Stalin, he says "use diplomatic language or what?"
(a) Offers of wine
(b) A baseball bat
(c) Large amounts of cash
(d) Offers of women
5. Harry Truman travels to see Bess in Grandview. How many miles one way is the trip?
(a) One Mile
(b) Fifty Miles
(c) Sixteen Miles
(d) Three hundred Miles
Short Answer Questions
1. How many members did the Truman Committee have?
2. What essential materials were in short supply as America prepared for war?
3. Who was the man in charge of the American Expeditionary Forces in France in WWI?
4. What is the name of the ship Harry Truman and his battalion are on for the Atlantic crossing?
5. What did Roosevelt say were the Four Freedoms?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Roosevelt keep so many secrets from his Vice President? List your opinion regarding Roosevelt's 1) possession of power, 2) distrust of anyone other than his chosen circle, and 3) whether or not the president should keep some secrets from the rest of the world.
2. Was trench warfare a reasonable strategy of fighting a war? Why or why not?
3. Why did so many respected senators and congressional representatives oppose America's entry into the War with Germany?
4. Why was it important for Truman to spend so much time as a new President with the funeral of Roosevelt?
5. Compared to the Slaughter family farm, the Trumans were always broke. Why do you think this was so?
6. Some wives of politicians are active in their husband's campaigns and in D.C. social life to assist their reputations. Bess Truman was definitely not this type of political wife. Why do you think this is?
7. Tom Pendergast's advice to Harry Truman as he left for D.C. was "Work hard, keep your mouth shut, and answer your mail." Was this good advice for the new senator? Why?
8. Truman was up against several other individuals for the position of Vice President. Why do you think he was the best candidate? Cover personal integrity, ability to gain votes, political record & experience, and life experience.
9. Bess Wallace is considered "ideal" by Harry, and is well respected by the other children. What qualities does she display that make her ideal, and do you think she would be popular by today's standards?
10. Reading over the description of Independence, MO, beginning on Page 50, describe Truman's hometown as it relates to 1) economic viability, 2) founders and citizens, and 3) education.
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)