|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Independence Missouri's nickname in the 1840s?
(a) Mormon Paradise
(b) Land of Milk and Honey
(c) Queen City of the Trails
(d) Land of Enchantment
2. What was the name of Roosevelt's beloved dog?
(d) Rin Tin Tin
3. What was a dollar-a-year man?
(a) A man who stole one dollar per day from the government
(b) A man whose only worth was one dollar
(c) A businessman who kept his original salary from his company and worked for the government for a token small salary, all for the war effort.
(d) A man whose only income was one dollar
4. When Roosevelt announces in 1944 that he will run for the fourth term as President, how many terms were Presidents allowed to serve?
(a) There was no constitutional limit to the number of times a President could serve
5. Why is Truman referred to as the "Senator from Pendergast" instead of the "Senator from Missouri"?
(a) He was originally elected from the state of Pendergast
(b) Because of his association with the political boss Tom Pendergast
(c) He is related to the large Pendergast family
(d) He was born in Pendergast, MO
Short Answer Questions
1. What party did Truman belong to?
2. How was Truman's personal life used against him in the 1940 election?
3. At their meeting in August of 1944, what did Roosevelt give to Truman to give to his wife and daughter?
4. Whose photographs does Harry carry in his uniform pocket during the entire war?
5. What ship did Truman take to the Potsdam conference?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Truman's approach to the press so different from Roosevelt's?
2. Harry Truman left his home and his country to defend another country's border. He mentions that "we owe it to Lafayette" - what does this mean?
3. Although money was always a problem for Truman, when given the opportunity to make millions at the expense of the government, he chose not to. Why?
4. In campaigning, Truman is not a skilled orator, but people remember him. Why?
5. Truman is placed in charge of one of the most unruly battery divisions in the Army, yet he forms them into one of the most efficient and admired in his Battalion. How did he do this? .
6. Describe Harry's father and mother, using the following criteria: 1) appearance, 2) religious beliefs and upbringing, 3) admirable qualities, 4) values they can teach Truman to make him a good President, leader and man.
7. The primary candidate, Roosevelt, did not appear at the Democratic convention in 1944, and his preference for Vice President was not clear. How did this affect those in charge of the Party at the convention?
8. The author entitled Chapter 8 "Numbered Days." Whose days are being referred to here?
9. Uncle Harrison is mentioned many times in the early chapters of the book as someone Truman admired and enjoyed. Why?
10. Truman's job at the bank in Kansas City taught him about fiscal responsibility. How would this assist a potential president?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)