|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What party did Truman belong to?
(b) Green Party
2. What interest did Harry and his father share?
(b) Watching tv
(d) Fishing and hunting
3. From what other state did most of the people settling Missouri migrate?
(a) New Mexico
4. Who were Harry Truman's parents?
(a) John Truman and Martha Ellen Young
(b) Bill Truman and Elizabeth Taylor
(c) Harry Truman Sr and Elizabeth Young
(d) Solomon Young and Mary Jane Truman
5. What is the name of the ship Harry Truman and his battalion are on for the Atlantic crossing?
(a) The Lusitania
(b) The Mary Deare
(c) The Titanic
(d) The George Washington
6. When did the Democratic party decide to place Truman as Vice President on their ticket?
(a) Three years in advance
(b) When Roosevelt became ill
(c) When Roosevelt died
(d) At the Democratic National Convention in 1944.
7. What was Independence Missouri's nickname in the 1840s?
(a) Mormon Paradise
(b) Land of Milk and Honey
(c) Queen City of the Trails
(d) Land of Enchantment
8. How did Bess Wallace's father die?
(a) His plane crashed
(b) He committed suicide by shooting himself
(c) He had terminal cancer
(d) He was in a car accident
9. In later years, how does Harry describe his childhood?
(a) The happiest imaginable
(b) filled with poverty and need
(c) One misery after another
(d) He could not remember his chidlhood
10. President Roosevelt made a radio speech to America at the beginning of Germany's attack on England, and the speech was subsequently referred to as what?
(a) The Arsenal for Money Speech
(b) The Speech of Omission
(c) The Arsenal for Democracy Speech
(d) The Fear Speech
11. What type of mine does Harry Truman invest in during 1915 and 1916?
12. Who did Roosevelt want as his Vice President?
(a) Teddy Roosevelt
(b) Harry Truman
(c) Unknown - Roosevelt changed his mind often during the VP discussions with his staff
(d) Adlai Stevenson
13. What event propelled the United States into WWII?
(a) Sinking of the Titanic
(b) Japanese attack on the fleet at Parl Harbor in Hawaii
(c) Bombing of World Trade Center
(d) Killing of Arch Duke Ferdinand
14. What did Truman do when he was suspicious about the defense industry overspending?
(a) He decided to do nothing and wait to see what happened
(b) He wrote a stern letter to the newspaper calling for action
(c) Launched his own investigation and drove over 10,000 miles across the country researching defense sites.
(d) He started his own company to reap some of these benefits
15. What is the number one recommendation from the S-1 Interim Committee to Truman?
(a) Use the bomb against Germany
(b) Give the bomb to Africa
(c) The bomb should be used against Japan as soon as possible
(d) Never use the bomb
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of automobile does Harry Truman first purchase?
2. What was Roosevelt's continuing admonition to his departments regarding defense production in 1941?
3. Who was employed to work for Harry Truman, in his office, for a $2500 annual salary?
4. What pet name did Truman have for Bess?
5. Why did Truman vote against the reappointment of District Attorney Milligan?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)