|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what charge was Tom Pendergast arrested, convicted and jailed?
(b) Murder and rape
(c) Tax evasion
2. Whose photographs does Harry carry in his uniform pocket during the entire war?
(a) His mother, Bess and another girlfriend
(b) His dog, his cat and Bess
(c) His father, his dog and Bess
(d) Bess, Mary Jane and his mother.
3. Why is Truman referred to as the "Senator from Pendergast" instead of the "Senator from Missouri"?
(a) He was originally elected from the state of Pendergast
(b) Because of his association with the political boss Tom Pendergast
(c) He was born in Pendergast, MO
(d) He is related to the large Pendergast family
4. What party did Truman belong to?
(a) Green Party
5. What were the nicknames for the divisions in the Missouri Democratic Party?
(a) Hares and Turtles
(b) Goats and Rabbits
(c) Rats and Pigs
(d) Donkeys and Elephants
6. What ship did Truman take to the Potsdam conference?
(a) The Titanic
(b) The George Washington
(c) The USS United States
(d) The Augusta
7. Truman's foreign office is warning him about the after war dangers of which country?
(c) Soviet Union
8. What is cost-plus construction?
(a) The method of paying contractors for work done
(b) Contractor is paid for all costs plus a fixed percentage profit
(c) Avoiding taxes on construction workers
(d) Construction that costs more than originally estimated.
9. In the eyes of the Truman Committee, what governmental department was the most to blame for bad planning?
(a) Office of Production Management
(b) Navy Department
(c) Defense Department
(d) Department of Agriculture
10. What new inventions did Truman never learn to use or like?
(a) Computer and cell phone
(b) Telephone and typewriter
(c) Telegraph and electric bulb
(d) Toilet and bathtub
11. When did the Democratic party decide to place Truman as Vice President on their ticket?
(a) When Roosevelt died
(b) When Roosevelt became ill
(c) Three years in advance
(d) At the Democratic National Convention in 1944.
12. Who were Truman's lifelong heroes?
(a) George Washington and Thomas Jefferson
(b) George Bush and Bill Clinton
(c) Andrew Jackson and Robert E. Lee
(d) Abraham Lincoln and Malcom X
13. What was the most common method of travel for settlers in the 1800s to take to Independence?
(d) Interstate Highway
14. Who was President of the USA during World War I?
(a) Harry S Truman
(b) John F. Kennedy
(c) Woodrow Wilson
(d) Franklin Roosevelt
15. What was one of the unique things about the Truman Committee?
(a) None of the members were Senators
(b) All of the members were white men
(c) The committee was unanimous on every report.
(d) The Senate does not usually operate by committee
Short Answer Questions
1. What major personal events occur for Harry Truman in Chapter 5?
2. What was the real name of the Truman Committee?
3. What are two traits Truman especially disliked about his fellow politicians?
4. President Roosevelt made a radio speech to America at the beginning of Germany's attack on England, and the speech was subsequently referred to as what?
5. Where did the Truman family live when in D.C. until Harry became President?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)