|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sort of equality did Truman support for Negroes?
(a) Complete equality
(b) Legal equality, but not social equality.
(c) Financial only, not social
(d) He did not support any equality for Negroes
2. What was Independence Missouri's nickname in the 1840s?
(a) Land of Milk and Honey
(b) Queen City of the Trails
(c) Mormon Paradise
(d) Land of Enchantment
3. What does the Truman farm produce?
(b) Bermuda grass
4. What was Truman's attitude towards running for Vice President?
(a) He did not want to
(b) He was eager to run
(c) He did not have an opinion
(d) He was afraid of running
5. Who in Truman's family passes away in November of 1914?
(a) John Truman
(b) Martha Ellen Truman
(c) Margaret Truman
(d) Bess Truman
6. Why does Harry Truman leave his job in Kansas City?
(a) He was fired
(b) To marry Bess
(c) To join the Army
(d) To help the family with the farm.
7. What was the real name of the Truman Committee?
(a) Committee on Un-American Affairs
(b) Committee to Re-Elect President Roosevelt
(c) Senate Special Committee to Investigate the National Defense Program
(d) Committee on Defense Contractors
8. Which of Truman's commanders was the most unreasonable and was disliked the most by Truman?
9. What was one voting faction in this election that had never been involved in presidential elections before?
(a) Jews were allowed to vote
(b) Blacks were allowed to vote.
(c) Women were allowed to vote
(d) Family pets, if pedigreed, were allowed to vote
10. How many men and boys were killed in Quantrille's raid on Lawrence, Kansas?
11. How was Truman's personal life used against him in the 1940 election?
(a) His gambling addiction was exposed
(b) His family farm was sold at auction while he was at the Democratic Convention.
(c) His wife divorced him and took the child
(d) His womanizing became known by the public
12. What are the names of Harry's brother and sister?
(a) J. Vivian and Mary Jane
(b) Harrison and Bess
(c) Jim and Eleanor
(d) Franklin and Eleanor
13. What was the Armistice?
(a) The name of the transport ship taking Truman home after WWI
(b) The name given to the plantation where Truman retired
(c) The name Truman gave his old car
(d) The treaty signed between the Germans and the Allies agreeing to end the war
14. Harry Truman's ancestors were predominantly of what heritage?
15. What was Roosevelt's continuing admonition to his departments regarding defense production in 1941?
(a) "Speed, speed, speed."
(b) "Accuracy, accuracy, accuracy"
(c) "Wait until the budget is passed"
(d) "Take your time"
Short Answer Questions
1. When Germany advances on Moscow, what does President Roosevelt offer Stalin?
2. Truman's foreign office is warning him about the after war dangers of which country?
3. Who does Truman appoint as his Secretary of State?
4. What ship did Truman take to the Potsdam conference?
5. What are two traits Truman especially disliked about his fellow politicians?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)