|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the number one recommendation from the S-1 Interim Committee to Truman?
(a) Give the bomb to Africa
(b) Use the bomb against Germany
(c) The bomb should be used against Japan as soon as possible
(d) Never use the bomb
2. What was the attitude of the townspeople of Independence towards people of color?
(a) Accepting and welcoming in clubs and homes
(b) The people of Independence were abolitionists and offered assistance
(c) Independence was a haven for slaves and immigrants
(d) Prejudice and racism were common and accepted
3. Who won WWI?
(a) Soviet Union
4. What does the Truman farm produce?
(a) Bermuda grass
5. How did young Harry Truman like to occupy his time?
(a) In his room playing Dungeons and Dragons
(b) Playing the piano, reading books, and being with his family.
(c) Shoplifting from the pharmacy and smoking with friends
(d) Playing baseball, basketball and football
6. Who was employed to work for Harry Truman, in his office, for a $2500 annual salary?
(a) Bess Truman
(b) John Truman
(c) His mother
(d) Eleanor Roosevelt
7. How did Truman's men move their equipment around France?
(a) Railway and ships
(b) Horse and wagon
(c) Fast sports cars
(d) Elephants and camels
8. Who was in charge of the Soviet Union when Truman became President?
(c) Josef Stalin
9. According to his letters to Bess, what part of Truman's command duties did he dislike the most?
(a) Wearing the uniform
(b) Meting out discipline to his troops.
(c) Meeting with the other captains
(d) Writing reports to command
10. What part of Truman's past most concerned the Democratic Party for the campaign?
(a) His connection with Boss Pendergast
(b) The fact Bess Truman's father committed suicide
(c) His past farming duties
(d) His connection with the Freemasons
11. How was Truman's personal life used against him in the 1940 election?
(a) His womanizing became known by the public
(b) His family farm was sold at auction while he was at the Democratic Convention.
(c) His wife divorced him and took the child
(d) His gambling addiction was exposed
12. How much weight did Harry Truman lose in the years in France?
(a) 2 lbs
(b) 50 lbs
(c) 20 lbs
13. What does Bess suggest when Harry announces his decision to join the military?
(a) That they get married immediately
(b) That she join as well and go with him
(c) That he find another girlfriend
(d) That he take warm clothes with him
14. Who in Truman's family passes away in November of 1914?
(a) Bess Truman
(b) John Truman
(c) Martha Ellen Truman
(d) Margaret Truman
15. What organization with secret rituals did Harry Truman join in 1909?
(a) Boy Scouts
(b) Ku Klux Klan
(c) Rainbow Girls
(d) Freemasonry or the Masons
Short Answer Questions
1. What sort of equality did Truman support for Negroes?
2. The Truman Committee saved the U.S. taxpayers a great deal of money. What is the estimated amount mentioned in the book?
3. President Roosevelt made a radio speech to America at the beginning of Germany's attack on England, and the speech was subsequently referred to as what?
4. Why is Truman referred to as the "Senator from Pendergast" instead of the "Senator from Missouri"?
5. Harry Truman always carried a favorite poem in his wallet. What was that poem and the author?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)