|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who in Truman's family passes away in November of 1914?
(a) Bess Truman
(b) Margaret Truman
(c) John Truman
(d) Martha Ellen Truman
2. What kind of automobile does Harry Truman first purchase?
(a) 1929 Ford Model T
(b) 1911 Stafford
(c) 1910 Volkswagon
(d) 1890 Mercedes
3. How many days was Truman Vice President?
4. What was the beginning of the end for Tom Pendergast?
(a) The investigation of his wife's real estate company
(b) The investigation of illegal voting practices in his county's 1936 elections
(c) The investigation of his personal finances
(d) WWII caused his business to falter
5. Harry Truman's ancestors were predominantly of what heritage?
6. Which of Roosevelt's policies did Truman support the most enthusiastically?
(a) The X-Files
(b) The Pentagon Papers
(c) The New Deal
(d) The Old Deal
7. Harry Truman always carried a favorite poem in his wallet. What was that poem and the author?
(a) "Blessing the Boats" by Lucille Clifton
(b) "The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost
(c) "Election Year" by Donald Revell
(d) "Locksley Hall" by Tennyson
8. What was the Armistice?
(a) The name Truman gave his old car
(b) The name of the transport ship taking Truman home after WWI
(c) The treaty signed between the Germans and the Allies agreeing to end the war
(d) The name given to the plantation where Truman retired
9. At their meeting in August of 1944, what did Roosevelt give to Truman to give to his wife and daughter?
(a) Autographed photos of himself
(b) Orange black tea
(d) Custom dresses from New York
10. In the extended family of the Truman household, who disciplined Margaret?
(a) Bess's Mother
(c) Truman's mother
11. How did young Harry Truman like to occupy his time?
(a) Shoplifting from the pharmacy and smoking with friends
(b) In his room playing Dungeons and Dragons
(c) Playing the piano, reading books, and being with his family.
(d) Playing baseball, basketball and football
12. What new inventions did Truman never learn to use or like?
(a) Computer and cell phone
(b) Telegraph and electric bulb
(c) Telephone and typewriter
(d) Toilet and bathtub
13. Why is Chapter 2 entitled "Model Boy?"
(a) Harry S. Truman was a child actor
(b) Harry S. Truman was an excellent student, great friend, faithful son, never in trouble, industrious and kind.
(c) Harry S. Truman liked to build airplane models
(d) Harry S. Truman's mother was a world famous model
14. Who was the most influential new friend Truman gained during his first term as Senator?
(a) Justice Louis D. Brandeis
(b) Ex-President Abraham LIncoln
(c) Robert E. Lee's widow
(d) Andrew Jackson's son
15. What essential materials were in short supply as America prepared for war?
(a) steel, latex, and plutonium
(b) lead, coal, limestone and rock
(c) computers, cell phones and i-pods
(d) Aluminum, copper, zinc and rubber
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Bess Wallace's father die?
2. What was the original funding for the Truman Committee?
3. When Truman sends Harry Hopkins to talk to Stalin, he says "use diplomatic language or what?"
4. What was the Canol Project?
5. For most of the people in Independence in the 1800's, who was their hero?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)