|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the most influential new friend Truman gained during his first term as Senator?
(a) Robert E. Lee's widow
(b) Justice Louis D. Brandeis
(c) Ex-President Abraham LIncoln
(d) Andrew Jackson's son
2. What does the Truman farm produce?
(a) Bermuda grass
3. From what other state did most of the people settling Missouri migrate?
(b) New Mexico
4. For most of the people in Independence in the 1800's, who was their hero?
(a) George Washington
(b) Andrew Jackson
(c) George Bush
(d) Abraham Lincoln
5. What US President did Truman see while he was working in Kansas City?
(a) Bill Clinton
(b) Abraham Lilncoln
(c) Theodore Roosevelt
(d) Herbert Hoover
6. Who was the Vice President of the United States under Roosevelt in 1943?
(a) Richard Nixon
(b) Henry Wallace
(c) George Bush Sr.
(d) Andrew Jackson
7. What essential materials were in short supply as America prepared for war?
(a) steel, latex, and plutonium
(b) computers, cell phones and i-pods
(c) Aluminum, copper, zinc and rubber
(d) lead, coal, limestone and rock
8. What element of Truman's style changed during the time of the Truman Committee?
(a) He allowed his hair to grow past his shoulders
(b) He stopped wearing his glasses
(c) He began wearing his now famous bow ties instead of a necktie
(d) He began wearing jeans
9. What is cost-plus construction?
(a) The method of paying contractors for work done
(b) Avoiding taxes on construction workers
(c) Construction that costs more than originally estimated.
(d) Contractor is paid for all costs plus a fixed percentage profit
10. What afflictions did Harry have in childhood?
(b) Nearsightedness and diphtheria
(c) Diarrhea and farsightedness
(d) Speech impediment and runny nose
11. What does Harry give as a reason to join the military and go to war?
(a) I need to get out of twon
(b) Someone has to do it.
(c) I need a job
(d) It is either this or jail time
12. What job does Truman take between his judgeships?
(a) Writing a newspaper column as a music critic
(b) Running whiskey for the Pendergast Organization
(c) Selling newspaper and magazine subscriptions
(d) Selling memberships in the Kansas City Automobile Club
13. What ship did Truman take to the Potsdam conference?
(a) The Augusta
(b) The Titanic
(c) The George Washington
(d) The USS United States
14. Harry Truman's ancestors were predominantly of what heritage?
15. When Germany advances on Moscow, what does President Roosevelt offer Stalin?
(a) Sound advice
(b) Nuclear warheads
(c) 100,000 troops
(d) A billion dollars worth of supplies
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the Armistice?
2. When did the Democratic party decide to place Truman as Vice President on their ticket?
3. Harry Truman always carried a favorite poem in his wallet. What was that poem and the author?
4. What is the name of the ship Harry Truman and his battalion are on for the Atlantic crossing?
5. Where was Harry S Truman born?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)