|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the new organization of countries formed to keep the peace after the world war ends?
(b) United Nations
(c) Blackwater Security
(d) League of Nations
2. How did Bess Truman feel about Harry running for Vice President?
(a) She did not want him to run
(b) She did not care either way
(c) She was eager to see his political ambition proceed
(d) She was happy to move to a new house
3. What was the real name of the Truman Committee?
(a) Committee to Re-Elect President Roosevelt
(b) Senate Special Committee to Investigate the National Defense Program
(c) Committee on Un-American Affairs
(d) Committee on Defense Contractors
4. When Roosevelt announces in 1944 that he will run for the fourth term as President, how many terms were Presidents allowed to serve?
(d) There was no constitutional limit to the number of times a President could serve
5. Who was the Vice President of the United States under Roosevelt in 1943?
(a) Richard Nixon
(b) George Bush Sr.
(c) Andrew Jackson
(d) Henry Wallace
6. What was Harry Truman's first paid job?
(a) Sweeping, dusting and cleaning at Clinton's Drugstore in Independence
(b) Bicycle courier for a bank in Kansas City
(c) Newspaper route
(d) Cleaning and painting houses in his neighborhood
7. What interest did Harry and his father share?
(a) Fishing and hunting
(d) Watching tv
8. Who was in charge of the Soviet Union when Truman became President?
(c) Josef Stalin
9. What two political positions did Truman want before he was allowed to run for Senate?
(a) Governor of MIssouri and Mayor fo Independence
(b) Mayor of Independence and Governor of Illinois
(c) Governor of Missouri and Congressman from Missouri
(d) Mayor of Lamar and Mayor of Independence
10. What organization with secret rituals did Harry Truman join in 1909?
(a) Boy Scouts
(b) Freemasonry or the Masons
(c) Rainbow Girls
(d) Ku Klux Klan
11. What did Truman refer to as "Potomac Fever?"
(a) The tendency of some political appointees to consider themselves more important than they were
(b) The heightened color of skin when people arrived in DC
(c) A strain of flu duirng the war
(d) The urge to visit the Potomac River rather than working
12. How were Truman's ancestors related to the bushwhackers?
(a) Through Uncle Harrison
(b) Bess's marriage to Harry
(c) Through Jim Crow Chiles
(d) There was no connection
13. How did Truman's men move their equipment around France?
(a) Elephants and camels
(b) Fast sports cars
(c) Railway and ships
(d) Horse and wagon
14. When did the Democratic party decide to place Truman as Vice President on their ticket?
(a) When Roosevelt became ill
(b) When Roosevelt died
(c) At the Democratic National Convention in 1944.
(d) Three years in advance
15. How much weight did Harry Truman lose in the years in France?
(b) 2 lbs
(c) 20 lbs
(d) 50 lbs
Short Answer Questions
1. What questionable organization was Truman encouraged to join by his party?
2. What part of Truman's past most concerned the Democratic Party for the campaign?
3. What is the name of the ship Harry Truman and his battalion are on for the Atlantic crossing?
4. How did Bess Wallace's father die?
5. What was the beginning of the end for Tom Pendergast? .
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)