|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What part of Truman's past most concerned the Democratic Party for the campaign?
(a) His connection with Boss Pendergast
(b) His past farming duties
(c) The fact Bess Truman's father committed suicide
(d) His connection with the Freemasons
2. In 1841, what was considered the extreme frontier of the USA?
(b) Western Pennsylvania
(c) Western Missouri
(d) Southern Georgia
3. How old was Harry Truman when he arrived in Washington D.C. to assume his duties as a Senator?
4. Why does Harry Truman leave his job in Kansas City?
(a) He was fired
(b) To help the family with the farm.
(c) To join the Army
(d) To marry Bess
5. How did Truman's men move their equipment around France?
(a) Railway and ships
(b) Elephants and camels
(c) Horse and wagon
(d) Fast sports cars
6. Which of Roosevelt's policies did Truman support the most enthusiastically?
(a) The X-Files
(b) The Pentagon Papers
(c) The Old Deal
(d) The New Deal
7. On what charge was Tom Pendergast arrested, convicted and jailed?
(a) Tax evasion
(d) Murder and rape
8. From what other state did most of the people settling Missouri migrate?
(d) New Mexico
9. What was the yearly salary for Truman's job as presiding judge?
10. What was the Canol Project?
(a) A plan for a large dam on the Canol River
(b) The atom bomb
(c) A scheme to build a four inch pipeline from Canada to Alaska
(d) A plan to end hunger in America using cooking oil
11. What type of mine does Harry Truman invest in during 1915 and 1916?
12. What was Independence Missouri's nickname in the 1840s?
(a) Land of Milk and Honey
(b) Mormon Paradise
(c) Queen City of the Trails
(d) Land of Enchantment
13. Who does Truman appoint as his Secretary of State?
(a) Henry Wallace
(b) Robert E. Lee
(c) Jimmy Byrnes
(d) Teddy Roosevelt
14. Why is Truman referred to as the "Senator from Pendergast" instead of the "Senator from Missouri"?
(a) He was originally elected from the state of Pendergast
(b) Because of his association with the political boss Tom Pendergast
(c) He is related to the large Pendergast family
(d) He was born in Pendergast, MO
15. What questionable organization was Truman encouraged to join by his party?
(c) Local country club
(d) Ku Klux Klan
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Truman choose to accompany him to meet the train bearing Roosevelt's body?
2. What was the Armistice?
3. Who was President of the USA during World War I?
4. Harry Truman always carried a favorite poem in his wallet. What was that poem and the author?
5. What essential materials were in short supply as America prepared for war?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)