|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What political party did Harry, his father, and most of the adults in Independence belong to?
(a) Green Party
2. What was Independence Missouri's nickname in the 1840s?
(a) Land of Enchantment
(b) Mormon Paradise
(c) Queen City of the Trails
(d) Land of Milk and Honey
3. In the eyes of the Truman Committee, what governmental department was the most to blame for bad planning?
(a) Office of Production Management
(b) Department of Agriculture
(c) Navy Department
(d) Defense Department
4. What part of Truman's past most concerned the Democratic Party for the campaign?
(a) His connection with the Freemasons
(b) The fact Bess Truman's father committed suicide
(c) His connection with Boss Pendergast
(d) His past farming duties
5. Why did Truman vote against the reappointment of District Attorney Milligan?
(a) As a gesture of loyalty to Tom Pendergast
(b) Milligan had insulted Margaret
(c) He did not vote at all
(d) He felt Milligan was doing a bad job
6. What did Truman refer to as "Potomac Fever?"
(a) The heightened color of skin when people arrived in DC
(b) The tendency of some political appointees to consider themselves more important than they were
(c) The urge to visit the Potomac River rather than working
(d) A strain of flu duirng the war
7. Who in Truman's family passes away in November of 1914?
(a) Martha Ellen Truman
(b) Bess Truman
(c) John Truman
(d) Margaret Truman
8. Although Harry writes many letters to Bess, he cannot master one art of good correspondence. What is it?
(a) Good grammar
(b) Finding the correct pen
(c) Good penmanship
(d) Good spelling
9. What type of mine does Harry Truman invest in during 1915 and 1916?
10. Who won WWI?
(d) Soviet Union
11. What element of Truman's style changed during the time of the Truman Committee?
(a) He began wearing his now famous bow ties instead of a necktie
(b) He allowed his hair to grow past his shoulders
(c) He stopped wearing his glasses
(d) He began wearing jeans
12. What did Harry's mother say to him each time he left the house?
(a) Now Harry, you be good
(b) Harry, I love you
(c) Harry, bring home the bacon
(d) Harry, please don't smoke
13. Truman's foreign office is warning him about the after war dangers of which country?
(b) Soviet Union
14. Where did the Truman family live until the Roosevelt family departed the White House?
(a) Independence, MO
(b) New York, New York
(c) Blair House, Washington DC
(d) Key West, FL
15. Why does the Truman family move to Kansas City?
(a) Harry Truman forced them to move for his political ambition
(b) John Truman has lost the family business and property due to bad investments in wheat futures
(c) The Truman family were asked to leave town
(d) John Truman left the family to join the war
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the beginning of the end for Tom Pendergast? .
2. How long was Truman & Jacobson in business?
3. What party did Truman belong to?
4. Where did the Truman family live when in D.C. until Harry became President?
5. Which country becomes a focal point of disagreement between USA and the Soviets?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)