|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In later years, how does Harry describe his childhood?
(a) One misery after another
(b) filled with poverty and need
(c) He could not remember his chidlhood
(d) The happiest imaginable
2. What was the real name of the Truman Committee?
(a) Senate Special Committee to Investigate the National Defense Program
(b) Committee on Defense Contractors
(c) Committee on Un-American Affairs
(d) Committee to Re-Elect President Roosevelt
3. How many members did the Truman Committee have?
(c) Only one
4. Who was the Vice President of the United States under Roosevelt in 1943?
(a) Andrew Jackson
(b) Henry Wallace
(c) Richard Nixon
(d) George Bush Sr.
5. What questionable organization was Truman encouraged to join by his party?
(a) Ku Klux Klan
(c) Local country club
6. What US President did Truman see while he was working in Kansas City?
(a) Bill Clinton
(b) Herbert Hoover
(c) Abraham Lilncoln
(d) Theodore Roosevelt
7. What element of Truman's style changed during the time of the Truman Committee?
(a) He stopped wearing his glasses
(b) He allowed his hair to grow past his shoulders
(c) He began wearing his now famous bow ties instead of a necktie
(d) He began wearing jeans
8. What event propelled the United States into WWII?
(a) Japanese attack on the fleet at Parl Harbor in Hawaii
(b) Bombing of World Trade Center
(c) Sinking of the Titanic
(d) Killing of Arch Duke Ferdinand
9. Who does Truman appoint as his Secretary of State?
(a) Teddy Roosevelt
(b) Robert E. Lee
(c) Jimmy Byrnes
(d) Henry Wallace
10. Who were Truman's lifelong heroes?
(a) Abraham Lincoln and Malcom X
(b) Andrew Jackson and Robert E. Lee
(c) George Washington and Thomas Jefferson
(d) George Bush and Bill Clinton
11. How was Truman's personal life used against him in the 1940 election?
(a) His gambling addiction was exposed
(b) His family farm was sold at auction while he was at the Democratic Convention.
(c) His womanizing became known by the public
(d) His wife divorced him and took the child
12. What party did Truman belong to?
(c) Green Party
13. Where did the Truman family live until the Roosevelt family departed the White House?
(a) Blair House, Washington DC
(b) Key West, FL
(c) Independence, MO
(d) New York, New York
14. How old was Harry Truman when he arrived in Washington D.C. to assume his duties as a Senator?
15. How did Bess Wallace's father die?
(a) He was in a car accident
(b) He committed suicide by shooting himself
(c) His plane crashed
(d) He had terminal cancer
Short Answer Questions
1. What was an overriding concern for Truman in his early years as a Senator in Washington?
2. What was the name of Roosevelt's beloved dog?
3. What two political positions did Truman want before he was allowed to run for Senate?
4. President Roosevelt made a radio speech to America at the beginning of Germany's attack on England, and the speech was subsequently referred to as what?
5. For most of the people in Independence in the 1800's, who was their hero?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)