|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Harry's mother say to him each time he left the house?
(a) Harry, I love you
(b) Now Harry, you be good
(c) Harry, please don't smoke
(d) Harry, bring home the bacon
2. Who did Roosevelt want as his Vice President?
(a) Adlai Stevenson
(b) Teddy Roosevelt
(c) Unknown - Roosevelt changed his mind often during the VP discussions with his staff
(d) Harry Truman
3. When did the Democratic party decide to place Truman as Vice President on their ticket?
(a) Three years in advance
(b) When Roosevelt became ill
(c) When Roosevelt died
(d) At the Democratic National Convention in 1944.
4. What is cost-plus construction?
(a) Contractor is paid for all costs plus a fixed percentage profit
(b) Construction that costs more than originally estimated.
(c) Avoiding taxes on construction workers
(d) The method of paying contractors for work done
5. Who in Truman's family passes away in November of 1914?
(a) John Truman
(b) Margaret Truman
(c) Bess Truman
(d) Martha Ellen Truman
6. What type of company does Harry Truman fail in after the mine?
(b) Shoe Sales
(d) Oil & Refining
7. Why is Chapter 2 entitled "Model Boy?"
(a) Harry S. Truman was a child actor
(b) Harry S. Truman was an excellent student, great friend, faithful son, never in trouble, industrious and kind.
(c) Harry S. Truman liked to build airplane models
(d) Harry S. Truman's mother was a world famous model
8. What afflictions did Harry have in childhood?
(a) Nearsightedness and diphtheria
(b) Speech impediment and runny nose
(c) Diarrhea and farsightedness
9. What was an overriding concern for Truman in his early years as a Senator in Washington?
(a) Getting caught with another woman
(b) Hiring a maid for his house
(c) Personal finances
(d) Margaret's behavior in public
10. What was the Armistice?
(a) The treaty signed between the Germans and the Allies agreeing to end the war
(b) The name of the transport ship taking Truman home after WWI
(c) The name given to the plantation where Truman retired
(d) The name Truman gave his old car
11. What new inventions did Truman never learn to use or like?
(a) Computer and cell phone
(b) Telegraph and electric bulb
(c) Telephone and typewriter
(d) Toilet and bathtub
12. According to his letters to Bess, what part of Truman's command duties did he dislike the most?
(a) Meting out discipline to his troops.
(b) Writing reports to command
(c) Wearing the uniform
(d) Meeting with the other captains
13. In later years, how does Harry describe his childhood?
(a) The happiest imaginable
(b) One misery after another
(c) filled with poverty and need
(d) He could not remember his chidlhood
14. How many members did the Truman Committee have?
(b) Only one
15. The Truman Committee saved the U.S. taxpayers a great deal of money. What is the estimated amount mentioned in the book?
(a) $15 billion
(c) $3 million
(d) $1 million
Short Answer Questions
1. Which state turned the tide towards Truman at the convention?
2. When Truman sends Harry Hopkins to talk to Stalin, he says "use diplomatic language or what?"
3. Which of Roosevelt's policies did Truman support the most enthusiastically?
4. Who was the man in charge of the American Expeditionary Forces in France in WWI?
5. What was General Order Number 11?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)