|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Harry Truman always carried a favorite poem in his wallet. What was that poem and the author?
(a) "Locksley Hall" by Tennyson
(b) "The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost
(c) "Blessing the Boats" by Lucille Clifton
(d) "Election Year" by Donald Revell
2. Who was the Vice President of the United States under Roosevelt in 1943?
(a) Henry Wallace
(b) George Bush Sr.
(c) Richard Nixon
(d) Andrew Jackson
3. How many members did the Truman Committee have?
(a) Only one
4. What pet name did Truman have for Bess?
(a) The Old Bat
(b) Sweetie Pie
(c) Her Highness
(d) The Boss or Madam
5. What was the name of Roosevelt's beloved dog?
(a) Rin Tin Tin
6. Who did Truman choose to accompany him to meet the train bearing Roosevelt's body?
(a) No one. He stood alone.
(b) Jimmy Byrnes and Henry Wallace
(c) Bess and Margaret Truman
(d) Eleanor and Teddy Roosevelt
7. What kind of automobile does Harry Truman first purchase?
(a) 1929 Ford Model T
(b) 1890 Mercedes
(c) 1910 Volkswagon
(d) 1911 Stafford
8. What was the Canol Project?
(a) A scheme to build a four inch pipeline from Canada to Alaska
(b) A plan for a large dam on the Canol River
(c) The atom bomb
(d) A plan to end hunger in America using cooking oil
9. What did Truman do when he was suspicious about the defense industry overspending?
(a) He decided to do nothing and wait to see what happened
(b) He wrote a stern letter to the newspaper calling for action
(c) He started his own company to reap some of these benefits
(d) Launched his own investigation and drove over 10,000 miles across the country researching defense sites.
10. Who won WWI?
(d) Soviet Union
11. What was the real name of the Truman Committee?
(a) Committee on Defense Contractors
(b) Senate Special Committee to Investigate the National Defense Program
(c) Committee to Re-Elect President Roosevelt
(d) Committee on Un-American Affairs
12. What career did Margaret Truman plan to enter?
(a) Publishing agent
(d) Computer science
13. Where was Harry S Truman born?
(a) Santa Fe, NM
(b) Washington D.C.
(c) Lamar, MO
(d) Independence, MO
14. What was one voting faction in this election that had never been involved in presidential elections before?
(a) Jews were allowed to vote
(b) Women were allowed to vote
(c) Blacks were allowed to vote.
(d) Family pets, if pedigreed, were allowed to vote
15. At their meeting in August of 1944, what did Roosevelt give to Truman to give to his wife and daughter?
(a) Orange black tea
(b) Autographed photos of himself
(c) Custom dresses from New York
Short Answer Questions
1. What US President did Truman see while he was working in Kansas City?
2. How did Bess Truman feel about Harry running for Vice President?
3. What was the original funding for the Truman Committee?
4. What did Roosevelt say were the Four Freedoms?
5. President Roosevelt made a radio speech to America at the beginning of Germany's attack on England, and the speech was subsequently referred to as what?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)