|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What political party did Harry, his father, and most of the adults in Independence belong to?
(c) Green Party
2. Who was President of the USA during World War I?
(a) Franklin Roosevelt
(b) Harry S Truman
(c) Woodrow Wilson
(d) John F. Kennedy
3. What ship did Truman take to the Potsdam conference?
(a) The USS United States
(b) The Augusta
(c) The Titanic
(d) The George Washington
4. Which of Roosevelt's policies did Truman support the most enthusiastically?
(a) The Old Deal
(b) The Pentagon Papers
(c) The New Deal
(d) The X-Files
5. What sort of equality did Truman support for Negroes?
(a) He did not support any equality for Negroes
(b) Legal equality, but not social equality.
(c) Complete equality
(d) Financial only, not social
6. What afflictions did Harry have in childhood?
(a) Diarrhea and farsightedness
(c) Nearsightedness and diphtheria
(d) Speech impediment and runny nose
7. What was a dollar-a-year man?
(a) A businessman who kept his original salary from his company and worked for the government for a token small salary, all for the war effort.
(b) A man who stole one dollar per day from the government
(c) A man whose only worth was one dollar
(d) A man whose only income was one dollar
8. Why is Chapter 2 entitled "Model Boy?"
(a) Harry S. Truman was a child actor
(b) Harry S. Truman was an excellent student, great friend, faithful son, never in trouble, industrious and kind.
(c) Harry S. Truman liked to build airplane models
(d) Harry S. Truman's mother was a world famous model
9. What does Bess suggest when Harry announces his decision to join the military?
(a) That they get married immediately
(b) That she join as well and go with him
(c) That he find another girlfriend
(d) That he take warm clothes with him
10. When Harry was nine, his family moved to Independence. He met a girl at Sunday School and fell in love that lasted his whole life. Who was this girl?
(a) Bess Wallace
(b) Eleanor Roosevelt
(c) Margaret Truman
(d) Mary Jane Truman
11. What was one voting faction in this election that had never been involved in presidential elections before?
(a) Jews were allowed to vote
(b) Women were allowed to vote
(c) Family pets, if pedigreed, were allowed to vote
(d) Blacks were allowed to vote.
12. What was the yearly salary for Truman's job as presiding judge?
13. What does the Truman farm produce?
(c) Bermuda grass
14. Who was the most influential new friend Truman gained during his first term as Senator?
(a) Robert E. Lee's widow
(b) Justice Louis D. Brandeis
(c) Andrew Jackson's son
(d) Ex-President Abraham LIncoln
15. What did Truman refer to as "Potomac Fever?"
(a) The heightened color of skin when people arrived in DC
(b) The tendency of some political appointees to consider themselves more important than they were
(c) The urge to visit the Potomac River rather than working
(d) A strain of flu duirng the war
Short Answer Questions
1. Although Harry writes many letters to Bess, he cannot master one art of good correspondence. What is it?
2. What US President did Truman see while he was working in Kansas City?
3. What are two traits Truman especially disliked about his fellow politicians?
4. What did Truman think was a damaging move by Roosevelt?
5. At their meeting in August of 1944, what did Roosevelt give to Truman to give to his wife and daughter?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)