|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the real name of the Truman Committee?
(a) Committee on Un-American Affairs
(b) Senate Special Committee to Investigate the National Defense Program
(c) Committee on Defense Contractors
(d) Committee to Re-Elect President Roosevelt
2. Why does the Truman family move to Kansas City?
(a) The Truman family were asked to leave town
(b) Harry Truman forced them to move for his political ambition
(c) John Truman has lost the family business and property due to bad investments in wheat futures
(d) John Truman left the family to join the war
3. What did Roosevelt say were the Four Freedoms?
(a) Freedom of religion, marriage, finances and lawful gathering
(b) Freedom from preachers, tax assessors, visiting relatives and telemarketers
(c) Freedom of speech, religion, from want, from fear.
(d) Freedom from fear, debt, phobias and medication
4. What was a dollar-a-year man?
(a) A businessman who kept his original salary from his company and worked for the government for a token small salary, all for the war effort.
(b) A man who stole one dollar per day from the government
(c) A man whose only income was one dollar
(d) A man whose only worth was one dollar
5. Although Harry writes many letters to Bess, he cannot master one art of good correspondence. What is it?
(a) Good grammar
(b) Finding the correct pen
(c) Good spelling
(d) Good penmanship
6. What organization with secret rituals did Harry Truman join in 1909?
(a) Rainbow Girls
(b) Boy Scouts
(c) Freemasonry or the Masons
(d) Ku Klux Klan
7. What did Truman think was a damaging move by Roosevelt?
(a) Bombing the Japanese home cities
(b) Entering WWII
(c) Entering WWI
(d) The attempt to increase the number of Supreme Court Justices
8. When did the Democratic party decide to place Truman as Vice President on their ticket?
(a) When Roosevelt died
(b) When Roosevelt became ill
(c) Three years in advance
(d) At the Democratic National Convention in 1944.
9. How were Truman's ancestors related to the bushwhackers?
(a) Through Jim Crow Chiles
(b) There was no connection
(c) Bess's marriage to Harry
(d) Through Uncle Harrison
10. When Harry was nine, his family moved to Independence. He met a girl at Sunday School and fell in love that lasted his whole life. Who was this girl?
(a) Margaret Truman
(b) Mary Jane Truman
(c) Eleanor Roosevelt
(d) Bess Wallace
11. What was the beginning of the end for Tom Pendergast?
(a) The investigation of illegal voting practices in his county's 1936 elections
(b) The investigation of his personal finances
(c) The investigation of his wife's real estate company
(d) WWII caused his business to falter
12. What essential materials were in short supply as America prepared for war?
(a) steel, latex, and plutonium
(b) Aluminum, copper, zinc and rubber
(c) lead, coal, limestone and rock
(d) computers, cell phones and i-pods
13. What was Independence Missouri's nickname in the 1840s?
(a) Land of Milk and Honey
(b) Queen City of the Trails
(c) Mormon Paradise
(d) Land of Enchantment
14. What afflictions did Harry have in childhood?
(a) Speech impediment and runny nose
(b) Diarrhea and farsightedness
(d) Nearsightedness and diphtheria
15. Where did the Truman family live when in D.C. until Harry became President?
(a) 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue
(b) 4701 Connecticut Avenue
(c) Blair House
(d) Missouri embassy
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the attitude of the townspeople of Independence towards people of color?
2. What two political positions did Truman want before he was allowed to run for Senate?
3. How did young Harry Truman like to occupy his time?
4. How did Bess Wallace's father die?
5. In the first six months of 1942 military contracts added what amount to the U.S. economy?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)