|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Truman do when he was suspicious about the defense industry overspending?
(a) He wrote a stern letter to the newspaper calling for action
(b) He decided to do nothing and wait to see what happened
(c) He started his own company to reap some of these benefits
(d) Launched his own investigation and drove over 10,000 miles across the country researching defense sites.
2. What was the real name of the Truman Committee?
(a) Committee on Defense Contractors
(b) Committee on Un-American Affairs
(c) Committee to Re-Elect President Roosevelt
(d) Senate Special Committee to Investigate the National Defense Program
3. What was the Armistice?
(a) The name given to the plantation where Truman retired
(b) The treaty signed between the Germans and the Allies agreeing to end the war
(c) The name of the transport ship taking Truman home after WWI
(d) The name Truman gave his old car
4. Where was Harry S Truman born?
(a) Santa Fe, NM
(b) Independence, MO
(c) Washington D.C.
(d) Lamar, MO
5. When Truman sends Harry Hopkins to talk to Stalin, he says "use diplomatic language or what?"
(a) A baseball bat
(b) Offers of women
(c) Offers of wine
(d) Large amounts of cash
6. What job does Truman take between his judgeships?
(a) Selling newspaper and magazine subscriptions
(b) Writing a newspaper column as a music critic
(c) Selling memberships in the Kansas City Automobile Club
(d) Running whiskey for the Pendergast Organization
7. What organization with secret rituals did Harry Truman join in 1909?
(a) Boy Scouts
(b) Rainbow Girls
(c) Ku Klux Klan
(d) Freemasonry or the Masons
8. Who were Truman's lifelong heroes?
(a) George Bush and Bill Clinton
(b) Andrew Jackson and Robert E. Lee
(c) George Washington and Thomas Jefferson
(d) Abraham Lincoln and Malcom X
9. What career did Margaret Truman plan to enter?
(c) Publishing agent
(d) Computer science
10. What pet name did Truman have for Bess?
(a) Her Highness
(b) The Old Bat
(c) Sweetie Pie
(d) The Boss or Madam
11. In the eyes of the Truman Committee, what governmental department was the most to blame for bad planning?
(a) Defense Department
(b) Department of Agriculture
(c) Navy Department
(d) Office of Production Management
12. Who was employed to work for Harry Truman, in his office, for a $2500 annual salary?
(a) Bess Truman
(b) Eleanor Roosevelt
(c) His mother
(d) John Truman
13. Why is Truman referred to as the "Senator from Pendergast" instead of the "Senator from Missouri"?
(a) He is related to the large Pendergast family
(b) He was originally elected from the state of Pendergast
(c) He was born in Pendergast, MO
(d) Because of his association with the political boss Tom Pendergast
14. What did Truman refer to as "Potomac Fever?"
(a) The heightened color of skin when people arrived in DC
(b) The urge to visit the Potomac River rather than working
(c) A strain of flu duirng the war
(d) The tendency of some political appointees to consider themselves more important than they were
15. Where did most of the sayings, such as "a good name is rather to be chosen than great riches", that were part of Truman's upbringing, originate?
(a) Time Magazine
(b) The Koran
(c) Ben Franklin's books
(d) The Bible
Short Answer Questions
1. In November of 1930, something happened to Margaret Truman. What was it?
2. What are the names of Harry's brother and sister?
3. When Germany advances on Moscow, what does President Roosevelt offer Stalin?
4. President Roosevelt made a radio speech to America at the beginning of Germany's attack on England, and the speech was subsequently referred to as what?
5. What new inventions did Truman never learn to use or like?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)