|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What interest did Harry and his father share?
(c) Watching tv
(d) Fishing and hunting
2. In the first six months of 1942 military contracts added what amount to the U.S. economy?
(a) $400 billion
(c) $2 billion
3. Who was the Vice President of the United States under Roosevelt in 1943?
(a) Richard Nixon
(b) Henry Wallace
(c) George Bush Sr.
(d) Andrew Jackson
4. Harry Truman's ancestors were predominantly of what heritage?
5. How did Truman's men move their equipment around France?
(a) Horse and wagon
(b) Fast sports cars
(c) Railway and ships
(d) Elephants and camels
6. For most of the people in Independence in the 1800's, who was their hero?
(a) George Bush
(b) Abraham Lincoln
(c) Andrew Jackson
(d) George Washington
7. When Germany advances on Moscow, what does President Roosevelt offer Stalin?
(a) Sound advice
(b) Nuclear warheads
(c) A billion dollars worth of supplies
(d) 100,000 troops
8. What does Bess suggest when Harry announces his decision to join the military?
(a) That she join as well and go with him
(b) That he take warm clothes with him
(c) That they get married immediately
(d) That he find another girlfriend
9. What was one voting faction in this election that had never been involved in presidential elections before?
(a) Blacks were allowed to vote.
(b) Jews were allowed to vote
(c) Family pets, if pedigreed, were allowed to vote
(d) Women were allowed to vote
10. What was Roosevelt's continuing admonition to his departments regarding defense production in 1941?
(a) "Accuracy, accuracy, accuracy"
(b) "Speed, speed, speed."
(c) "Wait until the budget is passed"
(d) "Take your time"
11. What organization with secret rituals did Harry Truman join in 1909?
(a) Rainbow Girls
(b) Ku Klux Klan
(c) Boy Scouts
(d) Freemasonry or the Masons
12. What was Independence Missouri's nickname in the 1840s?
(a) Mormon Paradise
(b) Queen City of the Trails
(c) Land of Milk and Honey
(d) Land of Enchantment
13. President Roosevelt made a radio speech to America at the beginning of Germany's attack on England, and the speech was subsequently referred to as what?
(a) The Speech of Omission
(b) The Arsenal for Democracy Speech
(c) The Fear Speech
(d) The Arsenal for Money Speech
14. Where did the Truman family live until the Roosevelt family departed the White House?
(a) New York, New York
(b) Key West, FL
(c) Blair House, Washington DC
(d) Independence, MO
15. What part of Truman's past most concerned the Democratic Party for the campaign?
(a) His connection with the Freemasons
(b) His connection with Boss Pendergast
(c) The fact Bess Truman's father committed suicide
(d) His past farming duties
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Truman choose to accompany him to meet the train bearing Roosevelt's body?
2. The Truman Committee saved the U.S. taxpayers a great deal of money. What is the estimated amount mentioned in the book?
3. From what other state did most of the people settling Missouri migrate?
4. How did Bess Truman feel about Harry running for Vice President?
5. What was Harry Truman's first paid job?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)