|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Truman's men move their equipment around France?
(a) Elephants and camels
(b) Fast sports cars
(c) Horse and wagon
(d) Railway and ships
2. In later years, how does Harry describe his childhood?
(a) filled with poverty and need
(b) One misery after another
(c) The happiest imaginable
(d) He could not remember his chidlhood
3. When Germany advances on Moscow, what does President Roosevelt offer Stalin?
(a) A billion dollars worth of supplies
(b) Nuclear warheads
(c) Sound advice
(d) 100,000 troops
4. What did Roosevelt say were the Four Freedoms?
(a) Freedom from fear, debt, phobias and medication
(b) Freedom of religion, marriage, finances and lawful gathering
(c) Freedom from preachers, tax assessors, visiting relatives and telemarketers
(d) Freedom of speech, religion, from want, from fear.
5. President Roosevelt made a radio speech to America at the beginning of Germany's attack on England, and the speech was subsequently referred to as what?
(a) The Speech of Omission
(b) The Arsenal for Money Speech
(c) The Fear Speech
(d) The Arsenal for Democracy Speech
6. Whose photographs does Harry carry in his uniform pocket during the entire war?
(a) His father, his dog and Bess
(b) His dog, his cat and Bess
(c) Bess, Mary Jane and his mother.
(d) His mother, Bess and another girlfriend
7. What sort of equality did Truman support for Negroes?
(a) Financial only, not social
(b) Complete equality
(c) He did not support any equality for Negroes
(d) Legal equality, but not social equality.
8. What type of mine does Harry Truman invest in during 1915 and 1916?
9. Truman's foreign office is warning him about the after war dangers of which country?
(b) Soviet Union
10. Where did the Truman family live when in D.C. until Harry became President?
(a) Blair House
(b) Missouri embassy
(c) 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue
(d) 4701 Connecticut Avenue
11. What was a dollar-a-year man?
(a) A man who stole one dollar per day from the government
(b) A man whose only worth was one dollar
(c) A man whose only income was one dollar
(d) A businessman who kept his original salary from his company and worked for the government for a token small salary, all for the war effort.
12. What was the original funding for the Truman Committee?
(b) $1 million
13. What was the most common method of travel for settlers in the 1800s to take to Independence?
(b) Interstate Highway
14. Why is Truman referred to as the "Senator from Pendergast" instead of the "Senator from Missouri"?
(a) He was originally elected from the state of Pendergast
(b) Because of his association with the political boss Tom Pendergast
(c) He is related to the large Pendergast family
(d) He was born in Pendergast, MO
15. Who were Harry Truman's parents?
(a) Harry Truman Sr and Elizabeth Young
(b) John Truman and Martha Ellen Young
(c) Solomon Young and Mary Jane Truman
(d) Bill Truman and Elizabeth Taylor
Short Answer Questions
1. What was General Order Number 11?
2. What was the attitude of the townspeople of Independence towards people of color?
3. What does the Truman farm produce?
4. The Truman Committee saved the U.S. taxpayers a great deal of money. What is the estimated amount mentioned in the book?
5. What does Bess suggest when Harry announces his decision to join the military?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)