|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was General Order Number 11?
(a) Union Army decree that all persons in Missouri who could not prove their loyalty to the Union would have to leave Missouri.
(b) Government decree that all women should wear hats
(c) Government decree that people in Missour could not vote
(d) Union Army decree that all Missouri farmers commit 50% of their crop to the army
2. Who was President of the USA during World War I?
(a) Franklin Roosevelt
(b) Woodrow Wilson
(c) John F. Kennedy
(d) Harry S Truman
3. How was Truman's personal life used against him in the 1940 election?
(a) His wife divorced him and took the child
(b) His family farm was sold at auction while he was at the Democratic Convention.
(c) His gambling addiction was exposed
(d) His womanizing became known by the public
4. Who was in charge of the Soviet Union when Truman became President?
(b) Josef Stalin
5. What major personal events occur for Harry Truman in Chapter 5?
(a) He is forced to undergo a paternity test
(b) He is divorced from his first wife and moves to Kansas City
(c) He is ordained as a preacher and married
(d) He gets married and his daughter is born
6. What party did Truman belong to?
(b) Green Party
7. What are two traits Truman especially disliked about his fellow politicians?
(a) Dishonesty and smoking
(b) Loud talking and smoking
(c) Womanizing and corruption
(d) Drinking and playing cards
8. When did the Democratic party decide to place Truman as Vice President on their ticket?
(a) At the Democratic National Convention in 1944.
(b) When Roosevelt became ill
(c) Three years in advance
(d) When Roosevelt died
9. Who was the man in charge of the American Expeditionary Forces in France in WWI?
(a) General DeGaulle
(b) General Eisenhower
(c) General Patton
(d) General Pershing
10. When Harry was nine, his family moved to Independence. He met a girl at Sunday School and fell in love that lasted his whole life. Who was this girl?
(a) Eleanor Roosevelt
(b) Mary Jane Truman
(c) Margaret Truman
(d) Bess Wallace
11. When Germany advances on Moscow, what does President Roosevelt offer Stalin?
(a) Sound advice
(b) A billion dollars worth of supplies
(c) 100,000 troops
(d) Nuclear warheads
12. Where did most of the sayings, such as "a good name is rather to be chosen than great riches", that were part of Truman's upbringing, originate?
(a) Time Magazine
(b) Ben Franklin's books
(c) The Koran
(d) The Bible
13. What is the name of the new organization of countries formed to keep the peace after the world war ends?
(a) League of Nations
(b) United Nations
(d) Blackwater Security
14. Why is Truman referred to as the "Senator from Pendergast" instead of the "Senator from Missouri"?
(a) He is related to the large Pendergast family
(b) He was originally elected from the state of Pendergast
(c) Because of his association with the political boss Tom Pendergast
(d) He was born in Pendergast, MO
15. Although Harry writes many letters to Bess, he cannot master one art of good correspondence. What is it?
(a) Good spelling
(b) Good penmanship
(c) Good grammar
(d) Finding the correct pen
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Chapter 2 entitled "Model Boy?"
2. What was the name of Roosevelt's beloved dog?
3. How much weight did Harry Truman lose in the years in France?
4. What new inventions did Truman never learn to use or like?
5. Why did Truman vote against the reappointment of District Attorney Milligan?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)