|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What major personal events occur for Harry Truman in Chapter 5?
(a) He is forced to undergo a paternity test
(b) He is divorced from his first wife and moves to Kansas City
(c) He is ordained as a preacher and married
(d) He gets married and his daughter is born
2. How was Truman's personal life used against him in the 1940 election?
(a) His womanizing became known by the public
(b) His family farm was sold at auction while he was at the Democratic Convention.
(c) His gambling addiction was exposed
(d) His wife divorced him and took the child
3. Who in Truman's family passes away in November of 1914?
(a) Margaret Truman
(b) John Truman
(c) Martha Ellen Truman
(d) Bess Truman
4. What was an overriding concern for Truman in his early years as a Senator in Washington?
(a) Getting caught with another woman
(b) Personal finances
(c) Margaret's behavior in public
(d) Hiring a maid for his house
5. What was one voting faction in this election that had never been involved in presidential elections before?
(a) Women were allowed to vote
(b) Family pets, if pedigreed, were allowed to vote
(c) Jews were allowed to vote
(d) Blacks were allowed to vote.
6. What pet name did Truman have for Bess?
(a) Her Highness
(b) The Boss or Madam
(c) The Old Bat
(d) Sweetie Pie
7. How did young Harry Truman like to occupy his time?
(a) Shoplifting from the pharmacy and smoking with friends
(b) In his room playing Dungeons and Dragons
(c) Playing baseball, basketball and football
(d) Playing the piano, reading books, and being with his family.
8. What is the name of the new organization of countries formed to keep the peace after the world war ends?
(a) United Nations
(b) League of Nations
(d) Blackwater Security
9. Although Harry writes many letters to Bess, he cannot master one art of good correspondence. What is it?
(a) Finding the correct pen
(b) Good penmanship
(c) Good spelling
(d) Good grammar
10. What two political positions did Truman want before he was allowed to run for Senate?
(a) Mayor of Lamar and Mayor of Independence
(b) Governor of Missouri and Congressman from Missouri
(c) Governor of MIssouri and Mayor fo Independence
(d) Mayor of Independence and Governor of Illinois
11. What are two traits Truman especially disliked about his fellow politicians?
(a) Womanizing and corruption
(b) Drinking and playing cards
(c) Dishonesty and smoking
(d) Loud talking and smoking
12. Harry Truman always carried a favorite poem in his wallet. What was that poem and the author?
(a) "The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost
(b) "Election Year" by Donald Revell
(c) "Locksley Hall" by Tennyson
(d) "Blessing the Boats" by Lucille Clifton
13. How old was Harry Truman when he arrived in Washington D.C. to assume his duties as a Senator?
14. What was the beginning of the end for Tom Pendergast?
(a) The investigation of his personal finances
(b) The investigation of illegal voting practices in his county's 1936 elections
(c) WWII caused his business to falter
(d) The investigation of his wife's real estate company
15. What did Truman do when he was suspicious about the defense industry overspending?
(a) He wrote a stern letter to the newspaper calling for action
(b) He decided to do nothing and wait to see what happened
(c) He started his own company to reap some of these benefits
(d) Launched his own investigation and drove over 10,000 miles across the country researching defense sites.
Short Answer Questions
1. In later years, how does Harry describe his childhood?
2. What type of mine does Harry Truman invest in during 1915 and 1916?
3. In the first six months of 1942 military contracts added what amount to the U.S. economy?
4. Which of Roosevelt's policies did Truman support the most enthusiastically?
5. Harry Truman's ancestors were predominantly of what heritage?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)