|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was an overriding concern for Truman in his early years as a Senator in Washington?
(a) Personal finances
(b) Hiring a maid for his house
(c) Getting caught with another woman
(d) Margaret's behavior in public
2. What event propelled the United States into WWII?
(a) Killing of Arch Duke Ferdinand
(b) Japanese attack on the fleet at Parl Harbor in Hawaii
(c) Sinking of the Titanic
(d) Bombing of World Trade Center
3. What did Harry's mother say to him each time he left the house?
(a) Harry, please don't smoke
(b) Harry, bring home the bacon
(c) Harry, I love you
(d) Now Harry, you be good
4. What new inventions did Truman never learn to use or like?
(a) Telephone and typewriter
(b) Computer and cell phone
(c) Telegraph and electric bulb
(d) Toilet and bathtub
5. Where did the Truman family live until the Roosevelt family departed the White House?
(a) Independence, MO
(b) Key West, FL
(c) New York, New York
(d) Blair House, Washington DC
6. What career did Margaret Truman plan to enter?
(c) Publishing agent
(d) Computer science
7. When Harry was nine, his family moved to Independence. He met a girl at Sunday School and fell in love that lasted his whole life. Who was this girl?
(a) Margaret Truman
(b) Mary Jane Truman
(c) Eleanor Roosevelt
(d) Bess Wallace
8. Why does the Truman family move to Kansas City?
(a) John Truman has lost the family business and property due to bad investments in wheat futures
(b) Harry Truman forced them to move for his political ambition
(c) John Truman left the family to join the war
(d) The Truman family were asked to leave town
9. What are the names of Harry's brother and sister?
(a) Jim and Eleanor
(b) Franklin and Eleanor
(c) J. Vivian and Mary Jane
(d) Harrison and Bess
10. Which of Roosevelt's policies did Truman support the most enthusiastically?
(a) The Old Deal
(b) The X-Files
(c) The Pentagon Papers
(d) The New Deal
11. Who was the man in charge of the American Expeditionary Forces in France in WWI?
(a) General Eisenhower
(b) General Patton
(c) General Pershing
(d) General DeGaulle
12. What was Independence Missouri's nickname in the 1840s?
(a) Mormon Paradise
(b) Land of Enchantment
(c) Land of Milk and Honey
(d) Queen City of the Trails
13. Although Harry writes many letters to Bess, he cannot master one art of good correspondence. What is it?
(a) Good penmanship
(b) Good spelling
(c) Good grammar
(d) Finding the correct pen
14. What was the attitude of the townspeople of Independence towards people of color?
(a) Prejudice and racism were common and accepted
(b) Accepting and welcoming in clubs and homes
(c) The people of Independence were abolitionists and offered assistance
(d) Independence was a haven for slaves and immigrants
15. What was one of the unique things about the Truman Committee?
(a) The committee was unanimous on every report.
(b) None of the members were Senators
(c) All of the members were white men
(d) The Senate does not usually operate by committee
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the real name of the Truman Committee?
2. Harry Truman always carried a favorite poem in his wallet. What was that poem and the author?
3. What pivotal event occurred on December 7, 1941?
4. What was the Canol Project?
5. Who was in charge of the Soviet Union when Truman became President?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)