|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Bess Wallace's father die?
(a) His plane crashed
(b) He was in a car accident
(c) He committed suicide by shooting himself
(d) He had terminal cancer
2. What new inventions did Truman never learn to use or like?
(a) Toilet and bathtub
(b) Telephone and typewriter
(c) Computer and cell phone
(d) Telegraph and electric bulb
3. Who resigns from Truman's cabinet before Potsdam?
(a) His intern
(b) Secretary of War
(c) Secretary of Treasury
(d) Vice President
4. What afflictions did Harry have in childhood?
(a) Nearsightedness and diphtheria
(b) Diarrhea and farsightedness
(d) Speech impediment and runny nose
5. What job does Truman take between his judgeships?
(a) Writing a newspaper column as a music critic
(b) Selling newspaper and magazine subscriptions
(c) Selling memberships in the Kansas City Automobile Club
(d) Running whiskey for the Pendergast Organization
6. The Truman Committee saved the U.S. taxpayers a great deal of money. What is the estimated amount mentioned in the book?
(a) $1 million
(c) $3 million
(d) $15 billion
7. What does Harry give as a reason to join the military and go to war?
(a) I need a job
(b) Someone has to do it.
(c) I need to get out of twon
(d) It is either this or jail time
8. What did Truman refer to as "Potomac Fever?"
(a) The heightened color of skin when people arrived in DC
(b) The tendency of some political appointees to consider themselves more important than they were
(c) A strain of flu duirng the war
(d) The urge to visit the Potomac River rather than working
9. Which of Truman's commanders was the most unreasonable and was disliked the most by Truman?
10. Who was the most influential new friend Truman gained during his first term as Senator?
(a) Ex-President Abraham LIncoln
(b) Robert E. Lee's widow
(c) Justice Louis D. Brandeis
(d) Andrew Jackson's son
11. Who was the man in charge of the American Expeditionary Forces in France in WWI?
(a) General Eisenhower
(b) General Patton
(c) General DeGaulle
(d) General Pershing
12. What kind of automobile does Harry Truman first purchase?
(a) 1910 Volkswagon
(b) 1890 Mercedes
(c) 1911 Stafford
(d) 1929 Ford Model T
13. How old was Harry Truman when he arrived in Washington D.C. to assume his duties as a Senator?
14. Where was Harry S Truman born?
(a) Independence, MO
(b) Washington D.C.
(c) Santa Fe, NM
(d) Lamar, MO
15. In 1841, what was considered the extreme frontier of the USA?
(a) Western Missouri
(b) Western Pennsylvania
(d) Southern Georgia
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the Truman family live when in D.C. until Harry became President?
2. What was one of the unique things about the Truman Committee?
3. How many members did the Truman Committee have?
4. Who was employed to work for Harry Truman, in his office, for a $2500 annual salary?
5. What is the name of the new organization of countries formed to keep the peace after the world war ends?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)