|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What part of Truman's past most concerned the Democratic Party for the campaign?
(a) His connection with Boss Pendergast
(b) The fact Bess Truman's father committed suicide
(c) His past farming duties
(d) His connection with the Freemasons
2. Why does Harry Truman leave his job in Kansas City?
(a) To marry Bess
(b) To help the family with the farm.
(c) To join the Army
(d) He was fired
3. How were Truman's ancestors related to the bushwhackers?
(a) There was no connection
(b) Through Jim Crow Chiles
(c) Through Uncle Harrison
(d) Bess's marriage to Harry
4. What career did Margaret Truman plan to enter?
(a) Computer science
(b) Publishing agent
5. What did Truman refer to as "Potomac Fever?"
(a) The urge to visit the Potomac River rather than working
(b) The heightened color of skin when people arrived in DC
(c) The tendency of some political appointees to consider themselves more important than they were
(d) A strain of flu duirng the war
6. What pet name did Truman have for Bess?
(a) Sweetie Pie
(b) Her Highness
(c) The Old Bat
(d) The Boss or Madam
7. In November of 1930, something happened to Margaret Truman. What was it?
(a) She had a baby
(b) She met her future husband
(c) Someone stole her purse
(d) Someone attempted to kidnap her.
8. In 1841, what was considered the extreme frontier of the USA?
(a) Western Pennsylvania
(b) Western Missouri
(c) Southern Georgia
9. What did Roosevelt say were the Four Freedoms?
(a) Freedom from fear, debt, phobias and medication
(b) Freedom of speech, religion, from want, from fear.
(c) Freedom of religion, marriage, finances and lawful gathering
(d) Freedom from preachers, tax assessors, visiting relatives and telemarketers
10. What job does Truman take between his judgeships?
(a) Running whiskey for the Pendergast Organization
(b) Writing a newspaper column as a music critic
(c) Selling newspaper and magazine subscriptions
(d) Selling memberships in the Kansas City Automobile Club
11. What kind of automobile does Harry Truman first purchase?
(a) 1911 Stafford
(b) 1890 Mercedes
(c) 1910 Volkswagon
(d) 1929 Ford Model T
12. What did Harry's mother say to him each time he left the house?
(a) Harry, I love you
(b) Harry, bring home the bacon
(c) Now Harry, you be good
(d) Harry, please don't smoke
13. What was one of the unique things about the Truman Committee?
(a) All of the members were white men
(b) None of the members were Senators
(c) The committee was unanimous on every report.
(d) The Senate does not usually operate by committee
14. What element of Truman's style changed during the time of the Truman Committee?
(a) He allowed his hair to grow past his shoulders
(b) He began wearing his now famous bow ties instead of a necktie
(c) He began wearing jeans
(d) He stopped wearing his glasses
15. Why did Truman vote against the reappointment of District Attorney Milligan?
(a) Milligan had insulted Margaret
(b) He felt Milligan was doing a bad job
(c) He did not vote at all
(d) As a gesture of loyalty to Tom Pendergast
Short Answer Questions
1. In later years, how does Harry describe his childhood?
2. Who did Truman choose to accompany him to meet the train bearing Roosevelt's body?
3. How old was Harry Truman when he arrived in Washington D.C. to assume his duties as a Senator?
4. Whose photographs does Harry carry in his uniform pocket during the entire war?
5. How did young Harry Truman like to occupy his time?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)