|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What career did Margaret Truman plan to enter?
(a) Publishing agent
(b) Computer science
2. Where did the Truman family live until the Roosevelt family departed the White House?
(a) Independence, MO
(b) Blair House, Washington DC
(c) Key West, FL
(d) New York, New York
3. What major personal events occur for Harry Truman in Chapter 5?
(a) He is divorced from his first wife and moves to Kansas City
(b) He is ordained as a preacher and married
(c) He is forced to undergo a paternity test
(d) He gets married and his daughter is born
4. What did Roosevelt say were the Four Freedoms?
(a) Freedom from fear, debt, phobias and medication
(b) Freedom of religion, marriage, finances and lawful gathering
(c) Freedom of speech, religion, from want, from fear.
(d) Freedom from preachers, tax assessors, visiting relatives and telemarketers
5. Harry Truman's ancestors were predominantly of what heritage?
6. Which country becomes a focal point of disagreement between USA and the Soviets?
7. What was one voting faction in this election that had never been involved in presidential elections before?
(a) Women were allowed to vote
(b) Family pets, if pedigreed, were allowed to vote
(c) Jews were allowed to vote
(d) Blacks were allowed to vote.
8. Why did Truman vote against the reappointment of District Attorney Milligan?
(a) He did not vote at all
(b) Milligan had insulted Margaret
(c) He felt Milligan was doing a bad job
(d) As a gesture of loyalty to Tom Pendergast
9. What ship did Truman take to the Potsdam conference?
(a) The Augusta
(b) The Titanic
(c) The George Washington
(d) The USS United States
10. Harry Truman always carried a favorite poem in his wallet. What was that poem and the author?
(a) "Election Year" by Donald Revell
(b) "The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost
(c) "Locksley Hall" by Tennyson
(d) "Blessing the Boats" by Lucille Clifton
11. When Roosevelt announces in 1944 that he will run for the fourth term as President, how many terms were Presidents allowed to serve?
(d) There was no constitutional limit to the number of times a President could serve
12. Which of Truman's commanders was the most unreasonable and was disliked the most by Truman?
13. On what charge was Tom Pendergast arrested, convicted and jailed?
(a) Murder and rape
(c) Tax evasion
14. Who does Truman appoint as his Secretary of State?
(a) Henry Wallace
(b) Teddy Roosevelt
(c) Robert E. Lee
(d) Jimmy Byrnes
15. How did Truman's men move their equipment around France?
(a) Fast sports cars
(b) Railway and ships
(c) Horse and wagon
(d) Elephants and camels
Short Answer Questions
1. How were Truman's ancestors related to the bushwhackers?
2. What questionable organization was Truman encouraged to join by his party?
3. In November of 1930, something happened to Margaret Truman. What was it?
4. What was the name of Roosevelt's beloved dog?
5. When Truman sends Harry Hopkins to talk to Stalin, he says "use diplomatic language or what?"
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)