|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the Canol Project?
(a) A plan for a large dam on the Canol River
(b) The atom bomb
(c) A scheme to build a four inch pipeline from Canada to Alaska
(d) A plan to end hunger in America using cooking oil
2. Who was the man in charge of the American Expeditionary Forces in France in WWI?
(a) General Patton
(b) General Eisenhower
(c) General DeGaulle
(d) General Pershing
3. What did Truman do when he was suspicious about the defense industry overspending?
(a) He wrote a stern letter to the newspaper calling for action
(b) He started his own company to reap some of these benefits
(c) Launched his own investigation and drove over 10,000 miles across the country researching defense sites.
(d) He decided to do nothing and wait to see what happened
4. What is the name of the new organization of countries formed to keep the peace after the world war ends?
(a) Blackwater Security
(b) League of Nations
(c) United Nations
5. From what other state did most of the people settling Missouri migrate?
(a) New Mexico
6. What was the most common method of travel for settlers in the 1800s to take to Independence?
(c) Interstate Highway
7. What major personal events occur for Harry Truman in Chapter 5?
(a) He is ordained as a preacher and married
(b) He is divorced from his first wife and moves to Kansas City
(c) He gets married and his daughter is born
(d) He is forced to undergo a paternity test
8. What organization with secret rituals did Harry Truman join in 1909?
(a) Ku Klux Klan
(b) Boy Scouts
(c) Freemasonry or the Masons
(d) Rainbow Girls
9. What epidemics decimated the families in Independence during the years of 1851-1854?
(a) Bubonic Plague and severe colds
(b) West Nile Fever and flu
(c) Cholera, scarlet fever and pneumonia
(d) AIDS and herpes
10. Why does Harry Truman leave his job in Kansas City?
(a) To marry Bess
(b) To join the Army
(c) He was fired
(d) To help the family with the farm.
11. How long was Truman & Jacobson in business?
(a) Twent-five Years
(b) Ten years
(c) One year
(d) Three years
12. Where did the Truman family live when in D.C. until Harry became President?
(a) Missouri embassy
(b) 4701 Connecticut Avenue
(c) Blair House
(d) 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue
13. What ship did Truman take to the Potsdam conference?
(a) The Titanic
(b) The Augusta
(c) The George Washington
(d) The USS United States
14. How many men and boys were killed in Quantrille's raid on Lawrence, Kansas?
15. What was General Order Number 11?
(a) Government decree that all women should wear hats
(b) Union Army decree that all persons in Missouri who could not prove their loyalty to the Union would have to leave Missouri.
(c) Government decree that people in Missour could not vote
(d) Union Army decree that all Missouri farmers commit 50% of their crop to the army
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Chapter 2 entitled "Model Boy?"
2. What was a dollar-a-year man?
3. What type of mine does Harry Truman invest in during 1915 and 1916?
4. For most of the people in Independence in the 1800's, who was their hero?
5. What US President did Truman see while he was working in Kansas City?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)