|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1 Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1841, what was considered the extreme frontier of the USA?
(a) Southern Georgia
(c) Western Pennsylvania
(d) Western Missouri
2. What organization with secret rituals did Harry Truman join in 1909?
(a) Ku Klux Klan
(b) Rainbow Girls
(c) Freemasonry or the Masons
(d) Boy Scouts
3. Why is Chapter 2 entitled "Model Boy?"
(a) Harry S. Truman was a child actor
(b) Harry S. Truman's mother was a world famous model
(c) Harry S. Truman liked to build airplane models
(d) Harry S. Truman was an excellent student, great friend, faithful son, never in trouble, industrious and kind.
4. Although Harry writes many letters to Bess, he cannot master one art of good correspondence. What is it?
(a) Good penmanship
(b) Good grammar
(c) Finding the correct pen
(d) Good spelling
5. What was the attitude of the townspeople of Independence towards people of color?
(a) Accepting and welcoming in clubs and homes
(b) Prejudice and racism were common and accepted
(c) The people of Independence were abolitionists and offered assistance
(d) Independence was a haven for slaves and immigrants
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the most common method of travel for settlers in the 1800s to take to Independence?
2. What afflictions did Harry have in childhood?
3. Where did most of the sayings, such as "a good name is rather to be chosen than great riches", that were part of Truman's upbringing, originate?
4. Harry Truman travels to see Bess in Grandview. How many miles one way is the trip?
5. What are the names of Harry's brother and sister?
This section contains 281 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)