|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Austin want to learn to live?
2. Why does Lee want Austin to go outside?
3. What is the time of day at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 8?
4. How did the old man react when Austin went to give him money?
5. What does Austin ask for from Lee as payment, if he wins the bet?
Essay Topic 1
Why does Austin keep choking Lee, though it is clear at some point that he is really hurting him? As the younger brother, how is he asserting his authority? Why has Lee upset him so much?
Essay Topic 2
How do the sound effects play into the story? How do they affect each brother? Are coyotes symbolic of one brother, the other, or both? What about crickets?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the implications of the play's title, True West. Which brother represents the true west? Do either of them? Is there such a thing, anymore, of the west? Why or why not?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)