|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lee not want to go north with Austin?
2. What incorrect name does Lee use for Saul?
3. Whom does Lee think are involved in most murder cases?
4. What is the time of day in the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
5. What actor is in the movie Lee mentions?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Mom come home early?
2. What is Lee's example of a "great western"?
3. How does Austin assert his authority over Lee?
4. How does Saul feel initially about Austin's screenplay?
5. Does Saul feel threatened by Lee?
6. Why is Lee offended when Austin offers him money?
7. What is Lee's method of typing?
8. Why does Austin stop Lee in the middle of his story?
9. At the beginning of the play, which brother appears to have his life in order?
10. What is the significance of Austin's impulse to drive to the desert after he gets the news about his script?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lee is an opportunist, a hustler by instinct. Cite four specific instances in the play where Lee creates opportunities for himself throughout the text. Are these opportunities at the expense of other people?
Essay Topic 2
Lee's speech has a markedly "country" dialect, a sharp contrast with Austin's clipped style of speech in the beginning. Take a look back through the dialogue and pinpoint the instance where Austin begins to speak like his brother, with a slight twang. What are the implications of this change?
Essay Topic 3
How is Lee similar to his father? Why is he so offended when Austin offers him money? What happened the last time Austin offered their father money?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)