|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What housekeeping task is Austin fulfilling?
2. What sport does Lee invite Saul to play?
3. What does Saul tell Lee to do with his story?
4. What is the last western movie Lee has seen?
5. What does Lee want to borrow from Austin?
Short Essay Questions
1. To what does Lee compare his mother's house?
2. Does Mom think Austin is cut out for the desert?
3. Why is Lee offended when Austin offers him money?
4. Why does Austin want Lee out of the house during his meeting with Saul?
5. Why does Austin claim he could not live in the desert like Lee?
6. Why is Austin so upset to find out that he is writing Lee's script?
7. Does Saul feel threatened by Lee?
8. How did Lee make a living in the desert?
9. When Lee keeps beating up on the typewriter with the golf club, what does Austin ask him to consider?
10. If Austin's story does not go over with the producer, what does Lee offer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the implications of the play's title, True West. Which brother represents the true west? Do either of them? Is there such a thing, anymore, of the west? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Lee's speech has a markedly "country" dialect, a sharp contrast with Austin's clipped style of speech in the beginning. Take a look back through the dialogue and pinpoint the instance where Austin begins to speak like his brother, with a slight twang. What are the implications of this change?
Essay Topic 3
At the beginning of the play, Austin is the "people" person and Lee is the loner. Where and how do they reverse roles in the play? Do they reverse back again? What does Mom have to do with their roles?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)