|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What used to be a source of income for Lee?
2. Where is the main character of Lee's script trying to leave?
3. How did Lee always picture Austin?
4. Why does Saul give Lee a read-through for the script?
5. Which desert did Lee inhabit?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly describe the setting at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 8.
2. How does Lee wish he had grown up?
3. What is Lee's method of typing?
4. How does Austin assert his authority over Lee?
5. Does Mom think Austin is cut out for the desert?
6. Why has Lee chosen to live in the desert?
7. What is Lee's example of a "great western"?
8. Why does Lee hate calling the operator?
9. What was the catalyst for Saul dropping Austin's script?
10. What living situation does Austin offer Lee?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Lee similar to his father? Why is he so offended when Austin offers him money? What happened the last time Austin offered their father money?
Essay Topic 2
Saul lost a bet, and thus Austin's story was moot and Lee's story moved forward. How does gambling factor into the lives of both brothers? Do they have different ideas of what it is to gamble? Discuss the toasters later in the play.
Essay Topic 3
Lee's speech has a markedly "country" dialect, a sharp contrast with Austin's clipped style of speech in the beginning. Take a look back through the dialogue and pinpoint the instance where Austin begins to speak like his brother, with a slight twang. What are the implications of this change?
This section contains 1,218 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)