|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Saul want Austin to wait before typing out a first draft?
2. Where has Lee been spending most of his time?
3. What beverage does Austin make?
4. Which desert did Lee inhabit?
5. What kinds of things were in the house Lee scoped out?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Saul want to admit that he decided on Lee's story because he lost a bet? Why/why not?
2. Why did Saul give Lee his gold clubs?
3. What was the catalyst for Saul dropping Austin's script?
4. When Lee keeps beating up on the typewriter with the golf club, what does Austin ask him to consider?
5. Why does Saul feel Austin is the right person to write Lee's screenplay?
6. How did Lee make a living in the desert?
7. What is the significance of the teeth in the Chop Suey story?
8. Why does Lee hate calling the operator?
9. What is the significance of Austin's impulse to drive to the desert after he gets the news about his script?
10. Does Lee seem comfortable at the beginning of the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The brothers each admire a quality in each other--for Lee, he admires Austin's smarts and Ivy League education, and Austin admires Lee's adventurousness. How do these identifications contribute to their role reversals? Do the brothers really wish they were like the other? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Lee marvels at the amount of locks Mom has on the windows and doors. Why would she feel the need for such extreme security measures? Could it have to do with her knowledge of Lee's profession?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the implications of the play's title, True West. Which brother represents the true west? Do either of them? Is there such a thing, anymore, of the west? Why or why not?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)