|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the main character traveling in Lee's script?
2. At the beginning of Act 1, Scene 4, what is the time of day?
3. What, according to Lee, is Austin paid to do?
4. Why was he passing through the desert?
5. What is the time of day in the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Austin's impulse to drive to the desert after he gets the news about his script?
2. Does Lee seem comfortable at the beginning of the play?
3. What does Austin use as a reference when Lee asks him the time?
4. Does Saul feel threatened by Lee?
5. Why has Mom come home early?
6. Why is Austin so surprised that Lee has "sealed the deal"?
7. Why does Austin want Lee out of the house during his meeting with Saul?
8. Why does Mom decide to stay in a hotel?
9. How does Lee wish he had grown up?
10. How did Lee make a living in the desert?
Essay Topic 1
Lee is an opportunist, a hustler by instinct. Cite four specific instances in the play where Lee creates opportunities for himself throughout the text. Are these opportunities at the expense of other people?
Essay Topic 2
Austin is an idealist, and even in the midst of his breakdown he thinks about the people without typewriters and golf clubs. Is he experiencing twinges of yuppie guilt? Pick specific instances from the text that lead you to believe one way or another.
Essay Topic 3
Lee marvels at the amount of locks Mom has on the windows and doors. Why would she feel the need for such extreme security measures? Could it have to do with her knowledge of Lee's profession?
This section contains 1,300 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)