|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose hand does Saul shake before he leaves?
2. How does Lee describe the heat in the desert?
3. What geological feature does Lee point out is missing from the Panhandle?
4. What is Lee drinking at the beginning of Scene 1?
5. What is Austin using to write his story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Mom think Austin is cut out for the desert?
2. What is the significance of Austin's impulse to drive to the desert after he gets the news about his script?
3. What is one of the ways Lee makes a living?
4. Why does Mom decide to stay in a hotel?
5. Does Saul feel threatened by Lee?
6. If Austin's story does not go over with the producer, what does Lee offer?
7. How do Saul and Lee try to lure Austin to the project?
8. After Lee asks Austin again to write the screenplay, how does Austin react? What tactic does he employ?
9. Why does Austin demand his keys back from Lee?
10. At the beginning of the play, which brother appears to have his life in order?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Character study of Austin. Examine his journey in depth throughout the text of the play. Pay special attention to turning points and instances where he must make decisions.
Essay Topic 2
Lee is an opportunist, a hustler by instinct. Cite four specific instances in the play where Lee creates opportunities for himself throughout the text. Are these opportunities at the expense of other people?
Essay Topic 3
Austin physically assaults Lee in the end to get what he wants. While Lee threatened to assault Austin throughout the play, he never actually did. How does this represent a turning point for Austin? For the brothers' relationship? How will the play end after the lights go down? Will the brothers reconcile? Will there be a fight? Will they each survive?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)