|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What beverage does Austin make?
2. On what does the length of Lee's stay depend?
3. What kind of story does Lee have for Saul?
4. Which desert did Lee inhabit?
5. What sport does Lee invite Saul to play?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Lee asks Austin again to write the screenplay, how does Austin react? What tactic does he employ?
2. Why doesn't Austin think Lee can help their father?
3. What is Lee's example of a "great western"?
4. What does Saul think is the difference between films and movies?
5. What was the catalyst for Saul dropping Austin's script?
6. What is Lee's method of typing?
7. How does Austin leave the situation with Saul?
8. Give a brief description of Lee's characters' chase scene.
9. Does Austin earn Lee's respect by stealing the toasters?
10. How does Austin assert his authority over Lee?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Austin is an idealist, and even in the midst of his breakdown he thinks about the people without typewriters and golf clubs. Is he experiencing twinges of yuppie guilt? Pick specific instances from the text that lead you to believe one way or another.
Essay Topic 2
At the beginning of the play, Austin is the "people" person and Lee is the loner. Where and how do they reverse roles in the play? Do they reverse back again? What does Mom have to do with their roles?
Essay Topic 3
Why has Lee chosen to live in the desert? Does he feel comfortable in the world of people? In Austin's world? What is Austin's perception of Lee's life? What is Lee's perception of Austin's life?
This section contains 1,223 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)