|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of coffee does Lee ask for later?
2. Why does Lee not want to go north with Austin?
3. How long has it been since Lee and Austin have seen each other?
4. What, according to Lee, is Austin paid to do?
5. How does Saul feel about Austin's story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Austin stop Lee in the middle of his story?
2. Why has Mom come home early?
3. What living situation does Austin offer Lee?
4. To what does Lee compare his mother's house?
5. Why could Mom possibly have so many locks in the house?
6. Does Lee understand the difference between an outline and a first draft? Why/why not?
7. How does Lee smoothly insert himself into the conversation?
8. Does Lee think Austin would be any good at his former profession? Why/why not?
9. How have the two brothers reversed their roles in the beginning of the scene?
10. What is Lee's example of a "great western"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Saul lost a bet, and thus Austin's story was moot and Lee's story moved forward. How does gambling factor into the lives of both brothers? Do they have different ideas of what it is to gamble? Discuss the toasters later in the play.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Austin keep choking Lee, though it is clear at some point that he is really hurting him? As the younger brother, how is he asserting his authority? Why has Lee upset him so much?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the implications of the play's title, True West. Which brother represents the true west? Do either of them? Is there such a thing, anymore, of the west? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,311 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)