|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Act 1, Scene 4, what is the time of day?
2. How are Lee and Austin related?
3. Why is Austin concerned about Lee stealing from the neighborhood?
4. What time does Austin ask Lee to be back?
5. Where is the main character of Lee's script trying to leave?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Austin so surprised that Lee has "sealed the deal"?
2. Does Lee understand the difference between an outline and a first draft? Why/why not?
3. Why does Austin stop Lee in the middle of his story?
4. Does Mom think Austin is cut out for the desert?
5. Why doesn't Austin think Lee can help their father?
6. How have the two brothers reversed their roles in the beginning of the scene?
7. Why does Austin claim he could not live in the desert like Lee?
8. How does Austin leave the situation with Saul?
9. Does Austin earn Lee's respect by stealing the toasters?
10. What is the last sound effect of the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of one brother loving beginnings and one loving endings? Are they true opposites in every way, or is there an overlap?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the implications of the play's title, True West. Which brother represents the true west? Do either of them? Is there such a thing, anymore, of the west? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Austin decides to leave his current, fairly posh life and live in the harshness of the desert. Why can't Lee understand Austin's need? Does Lee adjust well to his new role as screenwriter? Even Mom does not think Austin could make it in the desert. Does Austin really need to go to the desert, or can he continue to live happily as he was?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)