|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Lee always picture Austin?
2. Why does Saul give Lee a read-through for the script?
3. What, according to Lee, is Austin paid to do?
4. What does Lee want to drink right after the game?
5. What used to be a source of income for Lee?
Short Essay Questions
1. What living situation does Austin offer Lee?
2. Why is Lee offended when Austin offers him money?
3. Does Lee seem comfortable at the beginning of the play?
4. Why doesn't Austin think Lee can help their father?
5. What is Lee's example of a "great western"?
6. How does Lee smoothly insert himself into the conversation?
7. How does Austin assert his authority over Lee?
8. What is the significance of Austin's impulse to drive to the desert after he gets the news about his script?
9. Why does Austin lend Lee his car?
10. Briefly describe the setting at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 8.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Why does Austin keep choking Lee, though it is clear at some point that he is really hurting him? As the younger brother, how is he asserting his authority? Why has Lee upset him so much?
Essay Topic 2How do the sound effects play into the story? How do they affect each brother? Are coyotes symbolic of one brother, the other, or both? What about crickets?
Essay Topic 3What is the significance of one brother loving beginnings and one loving endings? Are they true opposites in every way, or is there an overlap?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)