|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lee drinking at the beginning of Scene 1?
2. What meal does Austin offer to Lee?
3. How does Lee want to clean up after the game?
4. Why does Saul want Austin to wait before typing out a first draft?
5. What does Lee want to borrow from Austin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Saul want to admit that he decided on Lee's story because he lost a bet? Why/why not?
2. What is Lee's method of typing?
3. Does Mom think Austin is cut out for the desert?
4. How have the two brothers reversed their roles in the beginning of the scene?
5. How does Saul feel initially about Austin's screenplay?
6. Why has Lee chosen to live in the desert?
7. How does Lee wish he had grown up?
8. What is one of the ways Lee makes a living?
9. Why has Mom come home early?
10. How do Saul and Lee try to lure Austin to the project?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Saul lost a bet, and thus Austin's story was moot and Lee's story moved forward. How does gambling factor into the lives of both brothers? Do they have different ideas of what it is to gamble? Discuss the toasters later in the play.
Essay Topic 2
Do a character study of Lee. Examine his journey in depth throughout the text of the play. Pay special attention to turning points and instances where he must make decisions.
Essay Topic 3
How is Lee similar to his father? Why is he so offended when Austin offers him money? What happened the last time Austin offered their father money?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)