|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What offends Lee so much that he grabs Austin and shakes him?
2. What kind of story does Lee have for Saul?
3. What is Lee's reaction when Austin suggests he sleep?
4. Why does Lee think Austin is smart?
5. What kind of coffee does Lee ask for later?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Austin's impulse to drive to the desert after he gets the news about his script?
2. Why does Austin stop Lee in the middle of his story?
3. Why could Mom possibly have so many locks in the house?
4. How have the two brothers reversed their roles in the beginning of the scene?
5. What is one of the ways Lee makes a living?
6. How does Austin assert his authority over Lee?
7. Why does Austin claim he could not live in the desert like Lee?
8. What living situation does Austin offer Lee?
9. Why does Austin lend Lee his car?
10. What is Lee's example of a "great western"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Austin physically assaults Lee in the end to get what he wants. While Lee threatened to assault Austin throughout the play, he never actually did. How does this represent a turning point for Austin? For the brothers' relationship? How will the play end after the lights go down? Will the brothers reconcile? Will there be a fight? Will they each survive?
Essay Topic 2
Lee's speech has a markedly "country" dialect, a sharp contrast with Austin's clipped style of speech in the beginning. Take a look back through the dialogue and pinpoint the instance where Austin begins to speak like his brother, with a slight twang. What are the implications of this change?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the implications of the play's title, True West. Which brother represents the true west? Do either of them? Is there such a thing, anymore, of the west? Why or why not?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)