|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What offends Lee so much that he grabs Austin and shakes him?
2. What sport does Lee invite Saul to play?
3. Who have Lee and Austin recently been to see?
4. What is one of Lee's main character's realizations?
5. What is the time of day in the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Lee seem comfortable at the beginning of the play?
2. Why does Austin want Lee out of the house during his meeting with Saul?
3. How does Austin leave the situation with Saul?
4. Did Austin know Lee was coming to visit?
5. How is Austin now writing Lee's script, after the demise of the typewriter?
6. What is the last sound effect of the play?
7. Why has Lee chosen to live in the desert?
8. Does Mom think Austin is cut out for the desert?
9. How does Austin end up being assigned to write Lee's screenplay?
10. Why could Mom possibly have so many locks in the house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Saul lost a bet, and thus Austin's story was moot and Lee's story moved forward. How does gambling factor into the lives of both brothers? Do they have different ideas of what it is to gamble? Discuss the toasters later in the play.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the car keys as a metaphor for the brothers' relationship. Cite specific instances from the text where the keys represent their power struggle.
Essay Topic 3
Does Saul really believe Lee's script is good, or is he saving face from losing his bet? He definitely sells that he "goes with his gut" to Austin, but does he really care that much about Lee's script?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)