|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lee carrying when he enters?
2. On what does the length of Lee's stay depend?
3. What kind of coffee does Lee ask for later?
4. What does Lee want to watch on the TV?
5. When does Lee suggest they play?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why could Mom possibly have so many locks in the house?
2. Does Austin earn Lee's respect by stealing the toasters?
3. Why does Austin lend Lee his car?
4. Does Lee understand the difference between an outline and a first draft? Why/why not?
5. Why has Mom come home early?
6. Why does Austin demand his keys back from Lee?
7. Why doesn't Austin think Lee can help their father?
8. Why does Austin want Lee out of the house during his meeting with Saul?
9. Why does Austin feel he is more in touch with what people want than Lee?
10. What is Lee carrying when he enters the scene, and where did he presumably get the item?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lee is an opportunist, a hustler by instinct. Cite four specific instances in the play where Lee creates opportunities for himself throughout the text. Are these opportunities at the expense of other people?
Essay Topic 2
Do a character study of Lee. Examine his journey in depth throughout the text of the play. Pay special attention to turning points and instances where he must make decisions.
Essay Topic 3
Austin is an idealist, and even in the midst of his breakdown he thinks about the people without typewriters and golf clubs. Is he experiencing twinges of yuppie guilt? Pick specific instances from the text that lead you to believe one way or another.
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)