|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What meal does Austin offer to Lee?
2. What time does Austin ask Lee to be back?
3. What does Lee throw at the window?
4. What kinds of things were in the house Lee scoped out?
5. What does Lee want to watch on the TV?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Austin want Lee out of the house during his meeting with Saul?
2. Why did Saul give Lee his gold clubs?
3. Why doesn't Austin think Lee can help their father?
4. To what does Lee compare his mother's house?
5. What roles did the brothers used to take as children?
6. When Lee keeps beating up on the typewriter with the golf club, what does Austin ask him to consider?
7. What living situation does Austin offer Lee?
8. Does Austin earn Lee's respect by stealing the toasters?
9. How does Austin end up being assigned to write Lee's screenplay?
10. How do Saul and Lee try to lure Austin to the project?
Essay Topic 1
Austin decides to leave his current, fairly posh life and live in the harshness of the desert. Why can't Lee understand Austin's need? Does Lee adjust well to his new role as screenwriter? Even Mom does not think Austin could make it in the desert. Does Austin really need to go to the desert, or can he continue to live happily as he was?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the car keys as a metaphor for the brothers' relationship. Cite specific instances from the text where the keys represent their power struggle.
Essay Topic 3
At the beginning of the play, Austin is the "people" person and Lee is the loner. Where and how do they reverse roles in the play? Do they reverse back again? What does Mom have to do with their roles?
This section contains 1,216 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)