|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What task does Lee give Austin during the game?
2. How does Lee want to clean up after the game?
3. What does Lee threaten to do if Austin does finish the script?
4. How does Lee describe the heat in the desert?
5. What is the first sound effect present in the stage directions?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Lee offended when Austin offers him money?
2. Briefly describe the setting at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 8.
3. Where has Mom gone for vacation, and what specific job did she leave for Austin?
4. How is Austin now writing Lee's script, after the demise of the typewriter?
5. When Lee keeps beating up on the typewriter with the golf club, what does Austin ask him to consider?
6. Are the brothers jealous of each other?
7. Why does Austin lend Lee his car?
8. How does Lee wish he had grown up?
9. Where did Lee go instead of sleeping, and why did he go there?
10. If Austin's story does not go over with the producer, what does Lee offer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Lee similar to his father? Why is he so offended when Austin offers him money? What happened the last time Austin offered their father money?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the implications of the play's title, True West. Which brother represents the true west? Do either of them? Is there such a thing, anymore, of the west? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
At the beginning of the play, Austin is the "people" person and Lee is the loner. Where and how do they reverse roles in the play? Do they reverse back again? What does Mom have to do with their roles?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)