Objective: Act 1, Scene 1 introduces the main characters in the story, and also sets up the conflict for the rest of the play. This lesson should focus on the brothers' apparent roles: Lee as the wild and irresponsible brother, and Austin as the work-a-day straight-laced brother.
1. Class Activity: Ask for volunteers to read Act 1, Scene 1 aloud. Be sure to have someone read the stage directions.
2. Group discussion: How are Lee and Austin different? Are they complete opposites, two ends of the spectrum? Do you notice any sibling rivalry?
3. Small groups: Discuss the difference between Austin and Lee. Can you think of any historical parallels for them? (i.e., Cain and Abel).
4. Foreshadowing: Are they really as different as they appear? They are driven by a need to impress each other, and it may drive them to very different places.
5. Homework: Write out a list, with short explanations, on...
This section contains 5,365 words
(approx. 18 pages at 300 words per page)