|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From whom does George King learn to steal horses?
2. What does Thomas Crunow do?
3. How does the chapter end?
4. Why does Ned want to kill George King?
5. Why is this section hard to keep track of?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ned get the revelation to rob banks and give the money away?
2. What do Dan, Joe, and Ned do?
3. How does Wild Wright assist the gang?
4. What makes Ned decide he is fed up with being honorable?
5. What does the sudden abruptness of the chapter suggest?
6. What do the police do to the women and children?
7. How does Thomas Crunow betray the gang?
8. What happens to Ned's letter-writing?
9. Where do Ned and his friends prepare for the fight?
10. What is ironic about what happens to both Ellen and Uncle James?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Folklore and fantasy are woven with reality in this tale.
Part 1) Give examples of folklore or fantasy in this story.
Part 2) Is the fantasy meant to have happened or it is symbolic? Explain.
Part 3) What is the purpose of this fantasy?
Essay Topic 2
Ned experiences a great amount of loss.
Part 1) Who does he lose?
Part 2) What does he lose?
Part 3) How does this loss affect his character?
Essay Topic 3
Ned says he will not leave Australia until his mother is released from prison.
Part 1) Why will he not leave without his mother?
Part 2) What is the Oedipus Complex?
Part 3) Are there any hints in the story to suggest Ned has an Oedipus Complex?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)