|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has a fiery nature, strong temper, and a difficult time dealing with Red Kelly, Ned's father?
2. To what does Ned say he becomes addicted?
3. Why does the family bring out the good table cloth and candles, and they eat everything Ellen has baked?
4. Who looks like an apparition of Red?
5. What is told by the papers has a tendency to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do people feel about Ned Kelly?
2. How is successful is Henry at robbing stage coaches?
3. Why does Ned become lawless?
4. How is Bill similar to Red?
5. How does Ned save his family from the fire?
6. Uncle James makes a good impression on the family, but how does that change?
7. How does Ned's family respond when he arrives home?
8. What does Ben do that Ned protects him by doing his prison time?
9. According to the "Unmarked Prelude," who writes this book, and why does he write it?
10. How does the novel start?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Folklore and fantasy are woven with reality in this tale.
Part 1) Give examples of folklore or fantasy in this story.
Part 2) Is the fantasy meant to have happened or it is symbolic? Explain.
Part 3) What is the purpose of this fantasy?
Essay Topic 2
Ellen Kelly begins as a fiery, independent woman.
Part 1) What evidence proves this?
Part 2) How does she change?
Part 3) What might be the reason or reasons for her change of character?
Essay Topic 3
Ned is often betrayed by those he trusts.
Part 1) Who betrays him?
Part 2) How is he betrayed?
Part 3) How does he handle these betrayals? Is it always the same? Why or why not?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)