|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ned do to the Murray's calf that is stuck?
2. For what does George King, an American traveler, who come to ask?
3. Of what does Harry inform Ned regarding Bill?
4. What is one of the worst and most notorious prisons in a land full of bad prisons?
5. Why does Ellen have the baby by herself on the table?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Ned move? Why?
2. What happens during the fight between Ned and Wild?
3. What does Ben do that Ned protects him by doing his prison time?
4. How do people feel about Ned Kelly?
5. Who does Ned say gives up Harry Power to the authorities?
6. How does the novel start?
7. Why does Ned not know his mother has sold him to the bush ranger, Henry Power?
8. How is Bill similar to Red?
9. Who summons Ned on behalf of Harry Power?
10. Why is Ned amazed to see how easily his mother is bullied by Bill Frost?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ned's mother sells hims to Harry Power, a bush ranger.
Part 1) Why does she sell him to Harry Power?
Part 2) How is Ned's life changed by living with Harry?
Part 3) What advice does Harry give Ned that is the best advice he could ever receive? Why is it so good?
Essay Topic 2
Ned's last words are "such is life."
Part 1) What does he mean by this?
Part 2) What does this say about his character?
Part 3) What does this say about poor Irish Australians?
Essay Topic 3
Ned sacrifices his reputation and freedom for others.
Part 1) How does he sacrifice himself?
Part 2) Why does he sacrifice himself?
Part 3) Do these sacrifices serve a purpose in the story? Why or why not?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)