|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ned not like Bill Frost?
2. Why does Ned get into a huge fight with a farmer?
3. Who summons Ned on behalf of Harry Power?
4. How is Ned viewed after the fight?
5. How does Ned respond to the commissioner?
Short Essay Questions
1. Uncle James makes a good impression on the family, but how does that change?
2. What does Ben do that Ned protects him by doing his prison time?
3. What do Hare and Nicolson show Ned?
4. How does Ned's family respond when he arrives home?
5. Why does Ned not know his mother has sold him to the bush ranger, Henry Power?
6. What experience do the Kellys have with prison?
7. How does the novel start?
8. What happens after Ellen slaps Sergeant O'Neil?
9. Where does Ned work?
10. How does Ned get more jail time for horse thievery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Kelly family is not unfamiliar with prison.
Part 1) Who in the Kelly family has been to prison?
Part 2) Of what are many of them guilty?
Part 3) Are they charged with fair sentences? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Ned says the papers do not tell the true story.
Part 1) Why do they not tell the truth?
Part 2) What does Ned do about it?
Part 3) Is he successful? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
After Red's death, Ellen entertains many suitors.
Part 1) Who are some of these suitors?
Part 2) What does she do to marry Bill Frost?
Part 3) How are these suitors similar to her dead husband?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)