|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of what does Ellen Quinn decide the family should be taking advantage?
(a) The money from Dick Shelton's family.
(b) The Duffy Land Act.
(c) The death of Red.
(d) The Embargo Act.
2. To what American is Harry Power compared?
(a) Dick Tracy.
(b) Thomas Jefferson.
(c) Al Capone.
(d) Billy the Kid.
3. Why is Ned sold to the bush ranger, Harry Power?
(a) Harry Power needs an assistant.
(b) Ellen can not stand Ned.
(c) To clear the way for Bill Frost and Ellen to be married.
(d) Ellen needs the money to support the rest of her family.
4. What eventually happens to Ned?
(a) He is hanged.
(b) He is set free.
(c) He escapes.
(d) He dies from old age in prison.
5. Why does Ellen attack the banshee with an ax?
(a) It is evil.
(b) It is attacking her.
(c) She realizes it is after Ned.
(d) It is trying to hurt Bill Frost.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only work Ned can find?
2. The creature turns out to be who, covered in thick sheets of iron, but not at the legs?
3. Why is the age of twelve significant for Ned?
4. Harry Power says, "forget your mamma. There ain't no happiness for neither of us at Eleven Mile Creek." What is significant about this statement?
5. At the trail what does Ned refuse to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ned's family respond when he arrives home?
2. How does the novel start?
3. How does Ned get the revelation to rob banks and give the money away?
4. Why can the gang not stop?
5. About what does Ned dream?
6. According to the "Unmarked Prelude," who writes this book, and why does he write it?
7. Why is Ned amazed to see how easily his mother is bullied by Bill Frost?
8. What does Ben do that Ned protects him by doing his prison time?
9. Who does Ned say gives up Harry Power to the authorities?
10. What happens to Ned's letter-writing?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)