|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the gang go?
(a) A stranger's home.
(b) Aaron Sherritt's land.
(c) A clearing in the forest.
(d) An abandoned cabin.
2. What does the government do with these requests?
(a) They deny both requests.
(b) They only free his mother.
(c) They accept one of his requests.
(d) They follow through with his requests.
3. Why is Ned forced to shoot, and kill one of the constables?
(a) One constable goes for his gun.
(b) He is running at Ned.
(c) He shoots at Ned first.
(d) He threatens Ned.
4. What is his other request?
(a) To see his daughter before he dies.
(b) To tell his side of the story.
(c) To have his mother released.
(d) To be buried at his home.
5. Why can Ned not find a printer?
(a) He has left town.
(b) There is no printer in town.
(c) The printer is murdered.
(d) The printer refuses to come out of his house.
6. Where does Ned find the information about the Monitor?
(a) In a book about United States military tactics.
(b) In the local newspaper.
(c) In an old article on ocean craft.
(d) A cabin full of papers from the Civil War.
7. Why does Ned not want to go to the United States, even though he has the money?
(a) He is afraid of riding in a boat.
(b) He does not trust Americans.
(c) He will not leave as long as his mother is in prison.
(d) He is too ill.
8. When does he speak these words?
(a) As he stands in front of a firing squad.
(b) As he is eating his last meal.
(c) As he is walking to the gallows.
(d) As the noose is placed around his neck.
9. What is included in the parcel?
(a) Two pages of Henry V.
(b) Ned's blood letter to Aaron.
(c) The entire script of Henry V.
(d) A poem by Ned to his daughter.
10. When they return two weeks later, what do they find out?
(a) Every person in town has a copy of his letter.
(b) The printer has been killed.
(c) The letter has been printed.
(d) The letter has been handed over to the police.
11. Why is Mary angry at Ned?
(a) He kills the constable.
(b) She does not believe his story.
(c) He abandons her when she needs him most.
(d) She is not sure what to think about the newspaper accounts of the "murders."
12. How does he celebrate the birth of his child?
(a) Standing on one leg on his horse and shooting guns in the air.
(b) He sings a song.
(c) He sends his child a telegram.
(d) He cries.
13. What will eventually lead to the end of Ned's quiet life?
(a) Getting back into stealing horses.
(b) Being friends with Alex Fitzgerald.
(c) Losing his job.
(d) Being drawn back into the happenings of his family.
14. Why does Ned not take Mrs Goodman up on her offer to dance?
(a) He is afraid of her.
(b) He does not know how to dance.
(c) He wants to dance with Mary instead.
(d) He does not like her.
15. Why is this section hard to keep track of?
(a) Multiple characters narrate the story.
(b) There is so much going on.
(c) It is easy to get distracted.
(d) It blends dream and reality.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary do when Ned tells her why he can't go to the United States and will not change his mind?
2. What is one of Ned's final requests?
3. What do Joe, Steve, and Dan think is happening to Ned, until the news breaks out about the birth of Ned's child?
4. What do Ned and his group do in Jerilderie?
5. Who murders Aaron?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)