|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why can Ned not find a printer?
(a) There is no printer in town.
(b) The printer refuses to come out of his house.
(c) The printer is murdered.
(d) He has left town.
2. How does the chapter end?
(a) Mary returns.
(b) The school master reads Henry V.
(c) His mother is freed.
(d) The schoolmaster promises to eventually write the history.
3. Why is there no mention of survivors?
(a) It gives the feeling that the hostages may have been burned to prevent the story from getting out.
(b) All the survivors are in hiding.
(c) The only important characters are those that have been murdered.
(d) They are all captured by the police.
4. Where does Ned find the information about the Monitor?
(a) In the local newspaper.
(b) A cabin full of papers from the Civil War.
(c) In an old article on ocean craft.
(d) In a book about United States military tactics.
5. Of what does Constable Flood accuse Dan?
(a) Stealing from a neighbor.
(b) Sleeping with Mary.
(c) Stealing the horses.
(d) Killing a cop.
6. What is Mary's father's job?
(a) A tinsmith.
(b) A goldsmith.
(c) A carpenter.
(d) A blacksmith.
7. What is the only reason Ned keeps writing?
(a) He does not want to give in to despair.
(b) He wants his daughter to know who he is.
(c) He wants Mary to know the truth.
(d) He wants an account for his gang to keep.
8. What do Dan and Steve yell while wearing stolen dresses?
(a) "Sons of Satan."
(b) "Sons of Liberty."
(c) "Sons of Sieve."
(d) "Sons of Anarchy."
9. What does the wife do with the five pounds?
(a) She spends it.
(b) She keeps it.
(c) She returns it.
(d) She throws it away.
10. What will eventually lead to the end of Ned's quiet life?
(a) Losing his job.
(b) Getting back into stealing horses.
(c) Being drawn back into the happenings of his family.
(d) Being friends with Alex Fitzgerald.
11. Where does the gang find out Aaron is camping out?
(a) In town.
(b) On a farm.
(c) In the Australian outback.
(d) In a cave with several police.
12. Why will Ned and Dan offer to turn themselves in?
(a) If Ellen is released.
(b) If Ellen gets a lighter sentence.
(c) They are guilty.
(d) They are trying to protect Ned's brother.
13. What has Ellen been sentenced to?
(a) Three years in prison.
(b) Three years of hard labor.
(c) Three years of community service.
(d) Three days of solitary confinement.
14. On whom do Ned and Joe spy?
(a) Sgt. Kennedy.
(b) George King.
(c) Constable Flood.
(d) The constables.
15. What is one of Ned's final requests?
(a) To see his mother one last time.
(b) To be buried in consecrated ground.
(c) To have his letter sent to Mary.
(d) To be set free, for he is innocent.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Joe comes back with the news that Aaron has betrayed them all?
2. What does the schoolmaster promise?
3. Why do Ned and a group of close friends move to the country along the Wombat Ridges?
4. What is Ned carrying with him in Jerilderie?
5. What is included in the parcel?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)