|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who seduces Annie while Alex Gunn is still in prison, and gets her pregnant?
(a) Cons Flood.
(b) John Fitzgerald.
(c) Patrick Hughes.
(d) Bill Frost.
2. Why does Ned not like Bill Frost?
(a) He pretends to know everything about agriculture and land management.
(b) Bill knows more about agriculture and land management than Ned.
(c) Ned has to work harder when Bill is around.
(d) He is Ellen's suitor.
3. At the trail what does Ned refuse to do?
(a) Tell the truth.
(b) Testify against his family.
(c) Get himself thrown in jail.
4. How does the novel start?
(a) With Ned's life as a young child.
(b) With Red's life as a young child.
(c) With Ned's life as a young father.
(d) With Grace's life as a young child.
5. To whom is Alex Gunn engaged?
6. Who rides up and slanders Ned?
(a) John Fitzpatrick and several cops.
(b) His Uncle Jimmy and Pat Quinn.
(c) Harry Powers and Uncle Jimmy.
(d) Cons Hall and John Fitzpatrick.
7. Who is described as dangerously powerful?
(a) The commissioner.
(b) The rector.
(c) The police dogs.
(d) The police officers.
8. Who finds a dress and some face paint?
9. Why does Ned get into a huge fight with a farmer?
(a) He tries to steal Ned's horse.
(b) He attempts to take Ned's and Henry's souvenirs from their latest stagecoach robbery.
(c) He insults Ned's sister Annie.
(d) He makes a very crude reference about Bill Frost and Ned's mother having intercourse.
10. Who is Tom Lloyd?
(a) Ned's main friend during this time.
(b) A stranger in town.
(c) A thief.
(d) Ned's enemy.
11. Ned dislikes Bill. How does Bill feel about Ned?
(a) He does not think about Ned.
(b) He respects him.
(c) Bill dislikes Ned as much as Ned dislikes him.
(d) Bill thinks of Ned like a son.
12. Why does Ned believe Harry when he says that Bill bleeds to death?
(a) It is true.
(b) He is young and easily duped.
(c) He can trust Harry.
(d) Harry sees Bill dead.
13. How does Ned respond to the commissioner?
(a) He would like to fight man to man.
(b) He is ill.
(c) He is guilty.
(d) He is innocent and wants to be set free.
14. What do Turk Morrison, Bill Frost, Alex Gunn, and the infamous Harry Power have in common?
(a) They are criminals.
(b) They all love Ellen.
(c) They are suitors.
(d) They want to help on the farm.
15. Why does the family bring out the good table cloth and candles, and they eat everything Ellen has baked?
(a) Ned has made up his mind.
(b) The Harry Power turns himself in.
(c) Ned has decided not to turn himself in.
(d) The charges have been dropped.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is falsely charged with the theft of the watch and gelding?
2. What system do the two cops use when interrogating Ned?
3. What does Wild Wright not tell Ned about the horse he is allowing him to borrow?
4. What do they show, to Ned's amazement?
5. What does Quinn hit Cons in the head with that gashes his head open?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)