|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Parcel 5, "His Early Contact with Senior Policemen".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the novel start?
(a) With Red's life as a young child.
(b) With Ned's life as a young child.
(c) With Ned's life as a young father.
(d) With Grace's life as a young child.
2. Although he is young, what does Ned quickly prove?
(a) He can work as hard as any man.
(b) He loves his family.
(c) He is good with horses.
(d) He is a better man than his father ever was.
3. What do Turk Morrison, Bill Frost, Alex Gunn, and the infamous Harry Power have in common?
(a) They are suitors.
(b) They want to help on the farm.
(c) They are criminals.
(d) They all love Ellen.
4. Why does Ned believe Harry when he says that Bill bleeds to death?
(a) Harry sees Bill dead.
(b) It is true.
(c) He is young and easily duped.
(d) He can trust Harry.
5. What does Ned not know, at first, about Officer Fitzpatrick?
(a) He is a welterweight champion.
(b) He is a horrible person.
(c) He is his cousin.
(d) He is a police officer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ned dislikes Bill. How does Bill feel about Ned?
2. What are extremely dangerous, and their bites are worse than the worst wasp sting?
3. Who is described as dangerously powerful?
4. Harry Power says, "forget your mamma. There ain't no happiness for neither of us at Eleven Mile Creek." What is significant about this statement?
5. Who visits the home, and it is suggested that he makes an advance on Ellen? She responds by slapping him and calling him a coward.
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)