|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what time does Mattie go to the stock barn and exchange her release for the cash from Colonel Stonehill in Chapter 5?
2. Who does Moon say his brother is in Chapter 6?
3. According to Ranger LaBoeuf’s papers in Chapter 4, he works out of a place called Ysleta outside of what Texas city?
4. What Indian dish is on the fire that looks like hominy at the dugout in Chapter 6?
5. By what initials are the railroad tracks called that Mattie, LaBoeuf, and Rooster Cogburn are headed toward in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reasons does Rooster Cogburn give Mattie for why she cannot accompany him on his mission in Chapter 5?
2. How does Mrs. Floyd treat Mattie when she becomes sick in Chapter 4?
3. How does Mattie describe the pony she picks out to purchase at Stonehill’s barn in Chapter 5? What does she remark about his legs?
4. What is Rooster Cogburn’s response when Mattie asks him if he thinks President Hayes will commute Odus Wharton’s sentence in Chapter 5?
5. What is Mattie’s reply when LaBoeuf asks her who she has hired to hunt down Tom Chaney in Chapter 4?
6. What are the boys doing outside the store when Mattie, LaBoeuf, and Rooster arrive in the beginning of Chapter 6?
7. What concerns does LaBoeuf voice about the campfire when the group first stops for the night in Chapter 6?
8. What information does LaBoeuf relate to Mattie about Tom Chaney’s history in Chapter 4?
9. How does Mattie describe Ranger LaBoeuf’s appearance when he arrives at the Monarch boarding house in Chapter 4?
10. What “grub” has Rooster Cogburn brought along for the trip, according to Mattie in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Rooster’s failed marriage and his relationship with his son as detailed in the narrative. How did Rooster feel about his son? What does he admit regarding their relationship? Do you think that Rooster’s relationship with Mattie in the story is an attempt to make up for Rooster’s failings with his son?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the language style and dialect in True Grit. How do you relate to the style of speech of the characters? Do you feel this style of dialect realistically reflects the time and place of the story? How?
Essay Topic 3
Define and analyze the narrative style of True Grit. Is the story related in past, present, or future tense? Who is the narrator? Why do you think the narrator chose this point of view? How would the story differ if the narrative style changed?
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)