|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ghost story does Mattie suggest telling around the campfire in Chapter 6?
2. Rooster says that Ned Pepper used to work for whom in Chapter 6?
3. When Mattie and Ranger LaBoeuf get into a disagreement in Chapter 4, Mattie tells him, “I will not be” what?
4. What does Quincy do when Moon starts to talk about what he knows in Chapter 6?
5. Ranger LaBoeuf is looking for Tom Chaney because he killed a senator in Texas named what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What concerns does LaBoeuf voice about the campfire when the group first stops for the night in Chapter 6?
2. What is LaBoeuf’s reply when Mattie asks him why Tom Chaney supposedly shot a Texas senator?
3. How does Mattie describe the pony she picks out to purchase at Stonehill’s barn in Chapter 5? What does she remark about his legs?
4. How does Mrs. Floyd treat Mattie when she becomes sick in Chapter 4?
5. What “grub” has Rooster Cogburn brought along for the trip, according to Mattie in Chapter 6?
6. What news of Lucky Ned’s gang has Rooster Cogburn learned from Bagby in Chapter 6?
7. How is the photograph described that LaBoeuf shows to Mattie in Chapter 4? How does she respond?
8. What obstacles does the snow present as Mattie, Rooster, and LaBoeuf travel in Chapter 6?
9. How is the “dugout” described when Mattie, Rooster, and LaBoeuf arrive there in Chapter 6?
10. What book does Mattie describe reading to Grandma Turner while she’s sick in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the characters of U.S. marshals William Waters, L.T. Quinn, and Rooster Cogburn as described by the sheriff in Chapter 2. What makes Mattie Ross choose Rooster Cogburn based on the sheriff’s descriptions? Why does Mattie not choose the “law abiding” marshal? What qualities make her choose Rooster?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the racial relations in the United States following the Civil War. How are these race relations illustrated in True Grit? How does Mattie’s relationship with and behavior toward Yarnell Poindexter differ from how he is treated by other white characters in the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Define and analyze the narrative style of True Grit. Is the story related in past, present, or future tense? Who is the narrator? Why do you think the narrator chose this point of view? How would the story differ if the narrative style changed?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)