|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where in Texas did Tom Chaney presumably kill a Texas senator?
2. Mattie compares the mark on Tom Chaney’s face with whose in Chapter 4?
3. What does Quincy do when Moon starts to talk about what he knows in Chapter 6?
4. Of what does Ranger LaBoeuf say in Chapter 4 that it “is sordid and dangerous and is best left in the hands of men who know the work”?
5. What does LaBoeuf do when he ambushes Mattie at the end of Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does LaBoeuf relate to Mattie about Tom Chaney’s history in Chapter 4?
2. How is the photograph described that LaBoeuf shows to Mattie in Chapter 4? How does she respond?
3. What does Quincy do when Moon begins to break and tell what he knows in Chapter 6? What ensues?
4. What does LaBoeuf say of the likelihood for the Bibbs family to pay their proposed reward in Chapter 5?
5. What opinions does Mattie assert regarding prohibition in Chapter 4?
6. What book does Mattie describe reading to Grandma Turner while she’s sick in Chapter 4?
7. What obstacles does the snow present as Mattie, Rooster, and LaBoeuf travel in Chapter 6?
8. What is LaBoeuf’s reply when Mattie asks him why Tom Chaney supposedly shot a Texas senator?
9. How does Mattie describe the pony she picks out to purchase at Stonehill’s barn in Chapter 5? What does she remark about his legs?
10. What is revealed in Lawyer J. Noble Daggett’s letter to Mattie in the beginning of Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the character of Rooster Cogburn in True Grit. How old is Rooster? What does Mattie remark about Rooster’s eye? What personality traits does Rooster exhibit? How does Rooster stand out amongst the other characters in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Rooster’s failed marriage and his relationship with his son as detailed in the narrative. How did Rooster feel about his son? What does he admit regarding their relationship? Do you think that Rooster’s relationship with Mattie in the story is an attempt to make up for Rooster’s failings with his son?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the racial relations in the United States following the Civil War. How are these race relations illustrated in True Grit? How does Mattie’s relationship with and behavior toward Yarnell Poindexter differ from how he is treated by other white characters in the narrative?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)