|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As he dies, one of the thieves tells Rooster in Chapter 6 that Ned and his gang are planning to rob whom tonight?
2. What kind of meat has Rooster Cogburn brought along for the “grub” in Chapter 6?
3. Who does Rooster Cogburn tell Mattie is “fixing the eats” for their trip in Chapter 5?
4. How much money does LaBoeuf say the Bibbs family has put up for a reward for Tom Chaney in Chapter 5?
5. How many horses do one of the thieves tell Rooster Ned requested at the dugout in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rooster Cogburn remark about education and the lack of it when Mattie visits him in Chapter 5?
2. How is the photograph described that LaBoeuf shows to Mattie in Chapter 4? How does she respond?
3. What book does Mattie describe reading to Grandma Turner while she’s sick in Chapter 4?
4. What information does LaBoeuf relate to Mattie about his profession and assignment in Chapter 4?
5. What concerns does LaBoeuf voice about the campfire when the group first stops for the night in Chapter 6?
6. What reasons does Rooster Cogburn give Mattie for why she cannot accompany him on his mission in Chapter 5?
7. What is revealed in Lawyer J. Noble Daggett’s letter to Mattie in the beginning of Chapter 5?
8. What does Quincy do when Moon begins to break and tell what he knows in Chapter 6? What ensues?
9. How does Mrs. Floyd treat Mattie when she becomes sick in Chapter 4?
10. What news of Lucky Ned’s gang has Rooster Cogburn learned from Bagby in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the establishment and history of the Indian Nation in Oklahoma. How vast was the Indian Territory that constituted Oklahoma and parts of the surrounding states at this time? By 1907, when Oklahoma was admitted as a state, Indian Territory ceased to exist. How was the Territory defined in the 1870s in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the characters of Bagby, his wife, and the two teenagers at the store in Chapter 6. What does Mattie remark about the religion of the Indian wife? How does this encounter change Mattie’s views of the Indians? How does this setting differ from that of Fort Worth or Mattie’s homestead? What are her impressions of this place?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the character of Colonel Stonehill in True Grit. Why is Colonel Stonehill reluctant to make a deal with Mattie? How does Mattie effectively press Stonehill in order to obtain her objectives? How does the character of Stonehill change in the course of the narrative?
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)