|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the hangman in Chapter 2?
2. Mattie describes a noisy boy going through the crowd at the hanging and selling what?
3. Who does the sheriff name as the best tracker and a half-breed Comanche in Chapter 2?
4. What lawyer’s name does Mattie threaten Colonel Stonehill with in Chapter 3?
5. How much money does Mattie tell Colonel Stonehill that she wants for “Papa’s saddle horse that was stolen” in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mattie describe the execution of the Indian in Chapter 2?
2. How does Colonel Stonehill describe the plight of the U.S. marshal when he hears of Mattie’s story in Chapter 3?
3. How does Mattie describe the city of Fort Smith upon her arrival in Chapter 2?
4. How do Mattie and Yarnell travel to Fort Smith in Chapter 2? How is the journey described?
5. How does Mattie describe Stonehill’s stock barn in Chapter 3?
6. What was stolen from Mattie Ross’s father when he was killed?
7. How much does Mattie pay for the embalming and coffin for her father? Why does this distress Yarnell?
8. What agreement do Mattie Ross and Colonel Stonehill reach regarding their settlement in Chapter 3?
9. Who is the executioner in Chapter 2? How is this character described?
10. How are the prisoners described that are to be hung in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the characters of U.S. marshals William Waters, L.T. Quinn, and Rooster Cogburn as described by the sheriff in Chapter 2. What makes Mattie Ross choose Rooster Cogburn based on the sheriff’s descriptions? Why does Mattie not choose the “law abiding” marshal? What qualities make her choose Rooster?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the history of hanging and capital punishment in the United States, particularly in the South, during the late 1800s. What was the largest mass hanging in the U.S.? When did the last execution by public hanging take place? How common were occurrences such as the public hanging in Chapter 2?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the setting of the Monarch boarding house in the novel. How large is the boarding house? How many boarders are staying there when Mattie arrives? How much does Mattie pay for room and board, and how is her boarding situation detailed?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)