|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Approximately how much is the charge for embalming and the coffin for Mattie’s father in Chapter 2?
2. What lawyer’s name does Mattie threaten Colonel Stonehill with in Chapter 3?
3. When Mattie sends Yarnell back with her father’s body in Chapter 2, she tells him to have who put the body in a better coffin?
4. About how old does Mattie describe Rooster Cogburn as in Chapter 3?
5. Mattie states in Chapter 1 that Tom Chaney said he was from where?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Mattie and Yarnell travel to Fort Smith in Chapter 2? How is the journey described?
2. How does Mattie describe the city of Fort Smith upon her arrival in Chapter 2?
3. How are the prisoners described that are to be hung in Chapter 2?
4. How does Mattie describe the setting of the hanging in Chapter 2?
5. How is the narrative of True Grit related? Is the story told in first, second or third person? In what tense is the story told?
6. What are the last words of the first man executed in Chapter 2?
7. What agreement do Mattie Ross and Colonel Stonehill reach regarding their settlement in Chapter 3?
8. How does the sheriff describe L.T. Quinn in Chapter 2?
9. What leads to Mattie’s disappointment when she speaks with the deputy marshal at the Federal Courthouse in Chapter 3?
10. How does Mattie describe the execution of the Indian in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the history of the Texas Ranger Division. What role did the Texas Rangers play in the American Civil War? Why have so many works of literature and film revolved around Texas Rangers? What impressions does Mattie have of LaBoeuf’s fancy “getup”?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Rooster’s failed marriage and his relationship with his son as detailed in the narrative. How did Rooster feel about his son? What does he admit regarding their relationship? Do you think that Rooster’s relationship with Mattie in the story is an attempt to make up for Rooster’s failings with his son?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the establishment and history of the Indian Nation in Oklahoma. How vast was the Indian Territory that constituted Oklahoma and parts of the surrounding states at this time? By 1907, when Oklahoma was admitted as a state, Indian Territory ceased to exist. How was the Territory defined in the 1870s in the story?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)