|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mattie learns at the Federal Courthouse in Chapter 3 that the head marshal has gone where to deliver prisoners to the house of correction?
2. Where has Lawyer Daggett gone to “try one of his steamboat suits” in the beginning of Chapter 2?
3. Mattie says in Chapter 3, “About the only outlaws in our country who ever went to Federal Court were "moonshiners" like” who?
4. Where was Mattie’s father killed, according to the narrative in Chapter 1?
5. About how old does Mattie describe Rooster Cogburn as in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What agreement do Mattie Ross and Colonel Stonehill reach regarding their settlement in Chapter 3?
2. What is revealed of Rooster Cogburn during the trial in Chapter 3?
3. What are the last words of the first man executed in Chapter 2?
4. Who is the executioner in Chapter 2? How is this character described?
5. How much does Mattie pay for the embalming and coffin for her father? Why does this distress Yarnell?
6. How does Mattie describe the execution of the Indian in Chapter 2?
7. What is the principle setting of the story? Where does Mattie’s family live?
8. What was stolen from Mattie Ross’s father when he was killed?
9. How does the sheriff describe L.T. Quinn in Chapter 2?
10. How is Yarnell Poindexter described in the novel? Why does he accompany Mattie in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define and analyze the narrative style of True Grit. Is the story related in past, present, or future tense? Who is the narrator? Why do you think the narrator chose this point of view? How would the story differ if the narrative style changed?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the history of the Texas Ranger Division. What role did the Texas Rangers play in the American Civil War? Why have so many works of literature and film revolved around Texas Rangers? What impressions does Mattie have of LaBoeuf’s fancy “getup”?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the establishment and history of the Indian Nation in Oklahoma. How vast was the Indian Territory that constituted Oklahoma and parts of the surrounding states at this time? By 1907, when Oklahoma was admitted as a state, Indian Territory ceased to exist. How was the Territory defined in the 1870s in the story?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)