|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Rooster Cogburn learns from the storekeeper that Lucky Ned Pepper had been seen three days earlier where in Chapter 6?
(a) McAlester’s store.
(b) Wilson’s store.
(c) McKinley’s store.
(d) Anderson’s store.
2. According to Ranger LaBoeuf’s papers in Chapter 4, he works out of a place called Ysleta outside of what Texas city?
(a) El Paso.
(d) Corpus Christi.
3. What Indian dish is on the fire that looks like hominy at the dugout in Chapter 6?
(a) Venison stew.
(b) Acorn mash.
4. At what time does Mattie go to the stock barn and exchange her release for the cash from Colonel Stonehill in Chapter 5?
(a) 7:00 a.m.
(b) 6:00 a.m.
(c) 10:00 a.m.
(d) 9:00 a.m.
5. Who is the first person Rooster Cogburn recognizes hiding in the dugout in Chapter 6?
(a) Emmett Quincy.
(b) George Garrett.
(c) L.T. Quinn.
(d) Lucky Ned Pepper.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does Ranger LaBoeuf say the Governor of Texas has put up for a reward for Tom Chaney in Chapter 5?
2. About how old are the boys that are taunting the poor mule at the store in Chapter 6?
3. Where in Texas did Tom Chaney presumably kill a Texas senator?
4. Who does Rooster Cogburn say “helps us on timber cases and them clerks is used to seeing his name” in Chapter 5?
5. Of whom does Mattie say in Chapter 4, that she knows he “is ‘wet’ but that is because of his race and religion and he is not personally accountable for that”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does LaBoeuf relate to Mattie about his profession and assignment in Chapter 4?
2. What does Rooster Cogburn remark about education and the lack of it when Mattie visits him in Chapter 5?
3. What reasons does Rooster Cogburn give Mattie for why she cannot accompany him on his mission in Chapter 5?
4. How is the “dugout” described when Mattie, Rooster, and LaBoeuf arrive there in Chapter 6?
5. What news of Lucky Ned’s gang has Rooster Cogburn learned from Bagby in Chapter 6?
6. What is Colonel Stonehill’s demeanor like when Mattie goes to see him with the paperwork in the beginning of Chapter 5?
7. What “grub” has Rooster Cogburn brought along for the trip, according to Mattie in Chapter 6?
8. What does Quincy do when Moon begins to break and tell what he knows in Chapter 6? What ensues?
9. What is Rooster Cogburn’s response when he hears of the reward offered for Tom Chaney by the state of Texas?
10. What information does LaBoeuf relate to Mattie about Tom Chaney’s history in Chapter 4?
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)