|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mattie learns at the Federal Courthouse in Chapter 3 that the head marshal has gone where to deliver prisoners to the house of correction?
(a) Detroit, Michigan.
(b) Chicago, Illinois.
(c) Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
(d) Minneapolis, Minnesota.
2. How much cash did Tom Chaney steal from Mattie’s father in addition to the gold coins?
3. According to Mattie in Chapter 1, her father was wounded in battle in the “terrible fight at Chickamauga up in the state of” what?
4. In his court testimony in Chapter 3, Rooster Cogburn states that he was traveling with a wagonload of criminals and how many other deputy marshals when the crime occurred?
5. Mattie describes Rooster Cogburn as “an old one-eyed jasper that was built along the lines of” whom, in Chapter 3?
(a) “Grover Cleveland.”
(b) “Bulldog Smith.”
(c) “Teddy Roosevelt.”
(d) “Thomas Jefferson.”
Short Answer Questions
1. Around how many people have gathered to attend the hanging in Chapter 2?
2. Who does the sheriff describe in Chapter 2 as “a pitiless man, double-tough, and fear don't enter into his thinking”?
3. What song does the preacher lead the men about to be hung in as Mattie watches in Chapter 2?
4. Mattie describes the undertaker that she and Yarnell go to see about her father’s body as being what in Chapter 2?
5. The sheriff tells Mattie in Chapter 2 that the reason he’s not hunting for Tom Chaney is because he has no authority where and that now Chaney is the business of the U.S. marshals?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mattie describe the city of Fort Smith upon her arrival in Chapter 2?
2. How much does Mattie pay for the embalming and coffin for her father? Why does this distress Yarnell?
3. Who is the executioner in Chapter 2? How is this character described?
4. How does Mattie Ross describe Tom Chaney in Chapter 1?
5. How is Judge Isaac Parker’s appearance and demeanor described when he enters in Chapter 3?
6. How does Mattie describe Stonehill’s stock barn in Chapter 3?
7. What does Mattie say in regards to the innocence or evil of animals in Chapter 3?
8. How does Mattie describe the career of Judge Isaac Parker in Chapter 3?
9. How was Mattie Ross’s father killed in the narrative? Where was he killed?
10. How are the prisoners described that are to be hung in Chapter 2?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)