|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mattie served for breakfast by Mrs. Floyd in the beginning of Chapter 3?
(a) Oatmeal and berries.
(b) Grits and an egg.
(c) Pancakes and bacon.
(d) Omelets and trout.
2. Why did Papa take “it in his head to go to Fort Smith” after the last of the cotton was sold, according to Mattie in Chapter 1?
(a) To clear his head.
(b) To do some gambling.
(c) To buy some ponies.
(d) To sell some gold.
3. How much money does Colonel Stonehill agree to give Mattie after haggling with her in Chapter 3?
4. What kind of gun does Mattie describe Tom Chaney carrying in Chapter 1?
(a) A Mossberg shotgun.
(b) A Winchester rifle.
(c) A Henry rifle.
(d) A Remington revolver.
5. Approximately how much is the charge for embalming and the coffin for Mattie’s father in Chapter 2?
Short Answer Questions
1. Around how many people have gathered to attend the hanging in Chapter 2?
2. By what nickname does Mattie refer to Texas in Chapter 1?
3. Mattie says in Chapter 2, “I noticed that the houses in Fort Smith were numbered but it was no city at all compared to” where?
4. What is the name of the cat where Rooster Cogburn lives in Chapter 3?
5. According to Mattie in Chapter 1, her father was wounded in battle in the “terrible fight at Chickamauga up in the state of” what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mattie say in regards to the innocence or evil of animals in Chapter 3?
2. Who is the executioner in Chapter 2? How is this character described?
3. How is Yarnell Poindexter described in the novel? Why does he accompany Mattie in Chapter 1?
4. How does Mattie describe the city of Fort Smith upon her arrival in Chapter 2?
5. How does Mattie describe the execution of the Indian in Chapter 2?
6. How is Judge Isaac Parker’s appearance and demeanor described when he enters in Chapter 3?
7. What are the last words of the first man executed in Chapter 2?
8. What is revealed of Rooster Cogburn during the trial in Chapter 3?
9. How was Mattie Ross’s father killed in the narrative? Where was he killed?
10. How does Mattie describe Stonehill’s stock barn in Chapter 3?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)