|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much cash did Tom Chaney steal from Mattie’s father in addition to the gold coins?
2. What is described as the highest point in Arkansas in Chapter 1?
(a) Mount McKinley.
(b) Mount Murphy.
(c) Mount Michigan.
(d) Mount Magazine.
3. Colonel Stonehill says in Chapter 3, “They told me this town was the be the” what of “the Southwest”?
4. Where does Mattie tell Rooster Cogburn her mother’s family lives in Chapter 3?
(a) Phoenix, Arizona.
(b) Portland, Oregon.
(c) Reno, Nevada.
(d) Monterey, California.
5. When Mattie sends Yarnell back with her father’s body in Chapter 2, she tells him to have who put the body in a better coffin?
(a) Mr. MacDonald.
(b) Mr. Myers.
(c) William Waters.
(d) Rutherford B. Hayes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the sheriff name as the best tracker and a half-breed Comanche in Chapter 2?
2. Mattie says in Chapter 3, “You must pay for everything in this world one way and another. There is nothing free except” what?
3. Approximately how much is the charge for embalming and the coffin for Mattie’s father in Chapter 2?
4. How far does Mattie say the distance was between their family stead and Fort Smith, Arkansas, in Chapter 1?
5. According to Mattie in Chapter 1, her father was wounded in battle in the “terrible fight at Chickamauga up in the state of” what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mattie describe the city of Fort Smith upon her arrival in Chapter 2?
2. How was Mattie Ross’s father killed in the narrative? Where was he killed?
3. How does Colonel Stonehill describe the plight of the U.S. marshal when he hears of Mattie’s story in Chapter 3?
4. How does the sheriff describe L.T. Quinn in Chapter 2?
5. How much does Mattie pay for the embalming and coffin for her father? Why does this distress Yarnell?
6. How are the prisoners described that are to be hung in Chapter 2?
7. How does Mattie describe the execution of the Indian in Chapter 2?
8. What does Mattie say in regards to the innocence or evil of animals in Chapter 3?
9. How does Mattie describe Stonehill’s stock barn in Chapter 3?
10. How is the narrative of True Grit related? Is the story told in first, second or third person? In what tense is the story told?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)