|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many men does Rooster Cogburn claim to have killed in his years as a U.S. marshal in Chapter 3?
2. Mattie says of her father in Chapter 1, “His head was full of” what?
(c) “Bad jokes.”
3. Who does the sheriff name as the best tracker and a half-breed Comanche in Chapter 2?
(a) Rooster Cogburn.
(b) Little Frank.
(c) George Garrett.
(d) William Waters.
4. How much cash did Tom Chaney steal from Mattie’s father in addition to the gold coins?
5. Rooster Cogburn lives in a small room in back of what in Chapter 3?
(a) A church.
(b) Chinese grocery store.
(c) A funeral home.
(d) The town library.
Short Answer Questions
1. In his court testimony in Chapter 3, Rooster Cogburn states that who was killed?
2. In his court testimony in Chapter 3, Rooster Cogburn states that he was traveling with a wagonload of criminals and how many other deputy marshals when the crime occurred?
3. The sheriff tells Mattie in Chapter 2 that the reason he’s not hunting for Tom Chaney is because he has no authority where and that now Chaney is the business of the U.S. marshals?
4. Mattie tells Colonel Stonehill in Chapter 3 that her family sold their early cotton in Little Rock to whom?
5. Where does Mattie tell Rooster Cogburn her mother’s family lives in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the sheriff describe L.T. Quinn in Chapter 2?
2. What agreement do Mattie Ross and Colonel Stonehill reach regarding their settlement in Chapter 3?
3. How is the narrative of True Grit related? Is the story told in first, second or third person? In what tense is the story told?
4. How do Mattie and Yarnell travel to Fort Smith in Chapter 2? How is the journey described?
5. How does Mattie describe the city of Fort Smith upon her arrival in Chapter 2?
6. How does Mattie describe the career of Judge Isaac Parker in Chapter 3?
7. How does Mattie describe Stonehill’s stock barn in Chapter 3?
8. What are the last words of the first man executed in Chapter 2?
9. How is Judge Isaac Parker’s appearance and demeanor described when he enters in Chapter 3?
10. What was stolen from Mattie Ross’s father when he was killed?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)