|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As he dies, one of the thieves tells Rooster in Chapter 6 that Ned and his gang are planning to rob whom tonight?
(a) John Wesley Hardin.
(b) Katy Flyer.
(c) Judge Isaac Parker.
(d) Emmett Quincy.
2. What does LaBoeuf do when he ambushes Mattie at the end of Chapter 5?
(a) He whips her.
(b) He spits on her.
(c) He quotes the bible.
(d) He yells at her.
3. What kind of meat has Rooster Cogburn brought along for the “grub” in Chapter 6?
(a) Salt pork.
(c) Canned salmon.
(d) Beef jerky.
4. Colonel Stonehill tells Mattie that he has a tentative offer for the ponies of ten dollars per head from whom in Chapter 5?
(a) Malvern Stables.
(b) The Union Pacific Railroad.
(c) The National Guard.
(d) The Pfitzer Soap Works.
5. Ranger LaBoeuf tells Mattie that Tom Chaney’s real name is what in Chapter 4?
(a) Owen Hardy.
(b) Sterling Price.
(c) Theron Chelmsford.
(d) Emmett Quincy.
6. Of whom does Mattie say in Chapter 4, that she knows he “is ‘wet’ but that is because of his race and religion and he is not personally accountable for that”?
(a) Governor James Wilson.
(b) Governor Al Smith.
(c) Governor Mike Nichols.
(d) Governor Jim Jackson.
7. What book does Mattie read to Grandma Turner that’s about “a girl in England who could not make up her mind whether to marry a rich man with a pack of dogs named Alec or a preacher” in Chapter 4?
(a) For Substance or Money.
(b) One of the Pack.
(c) Wolfgang or the Banker.
(d) Bess Galloway’s Disappointment.
8. Mattie says in Chapter 5 that men will live like what “if they are left alone”?
(c) Billy goats.
9. Where does Quincy claim they got the horses in Chapter 6 when questioned about them by Rooster?
(a) Fort Gibson.
(b) Little Rock.
(c) El Paso.
10. How much does Mattie pay for one of Colonel Stonehill’s ponies in Chapter 5?
11. Of Mrs. Floyd, Mattie says in Chapter 5 that she “could no more keep her mouth closed than can a” what?
(a) “Alaskan salmon.”
(b) “Yellow catfish.”
(c) “Maine lobster.”
(d) “Blue crabs.”
12. When Mattie is sick in Chapter 4, Mrs. Floyd wraps a rag around her neck that has been soaked in what?
(b) Mint leaves.
(d) Vick’s salve.
13. What is the name of the storekeeper at the riverside store that Mattie, LaBoeuf and Rooster Cogburn stop at with the taunted mule in Chapter 6?
14. In Mattie’s letter from Lawyer Daggett in Chapter 5, he relates that who was pressed into service to preach at Mattie’s father’s funeral?
(a) Owen Hardy.
(b) Mr. MacDonald.
(c) William Waters.
(d) Governor Al Smith.
15. How much money does Mattie give the night watchman at Colonel Stonehill’s barn to feed her horse and wake her before sunrise in Chapter 5?
(a) A nickel.
(b) A dime.
(c) A quarter.
(d) A half dollar.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rooster says that Ned Pepper used to work for whom in Chapter 6?
2. Where in Louisiana does Ranger LaBoeuf say Tom Chaney dallies before turning up at Mattie’s father’s place in Chapter 4?
3. What is the name of the night watchman at Colonel Stonehill’s barn when Mattie stays the night in Chapter 5?
4. Colonel Stonehill tells Mattie in Chapter 5 that Rooster Cogburn “rode by the light of the moon with Quantrill and” who?
5. How long does Rooster Cogburn say the sentence is for resisting a Federal officer in Chapter 6?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)