|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Rooster says that Ned Pepper used to work for whom in Chapter 6?
(a) Bloody Bill Anderson.
(b) Mr. Burlingame.
(c) Pig Satterfield.
(d) L.T. Quinn.
2. Where in Louisiana does Ranger LaBoeuf say Tom Chaney dallies before turning up at Mattie’s father’s place in Chapter 4?
(b) Baton Rouge.
(d) New Orleans.
3. According to Ranger LaBoeuf’s papers in Chapter 4, he works out of a place called Ysleta outside of what Texas city?
(c) Corpus Christi.
(d) El Paso.
4. Rooster Cogburn asks one of the boys at the store in Chapter 6 where who is?
5. How much does Mattie pay for one of Colonel Stonehill’s ponies in Chapter 5?
6. When Mattie and Ranger LaBoeuf get into a disagreement in Chapter 4, Ranger LaBoeuf tells Mattie that earlier in the night he gave some thought to stealing what from her?
(a) A piece of bread.
(b) A gold coin.
(c) A kiss.
(d) A lock of hair.
7. Ranger LaBoeuf tells Mattie in Chapter 4, “Now I am of a mind to give you” what?
(a) “A crack with my whip.”
(b) “Five or six good licks with my belt.”
(c) “A toss in the river.”
(d) “A bottle of whiskey.”
8. Colonel Stonehill tells Mattie that he has a tentative offer for the ponies of ten dollars per head from whom in Chapter 5?
(a) Malvern Stables.
(b) The Pfitzer Soap Works.
(c) The National Guard.
(d) The Union Pacific Railroad.
9. Mattie is surprised to discover that the Indian wife of the storekeeper in Chapter 6 is of what religion?
10. For how long does Mattie remain sick and in bed at the Monarch boarding house in Chapter 4?
(a) 1 day.
(b) 2 days.
(c) 5 days.
(d) 1 week.
11. How much snow has collected in four hours as Mattie, LaBeouf, and Rooster set out after their first night of camp in Chapter 6?
(a) 6-7 inches.
(b) 2-3 inches.
(c) 10-11 inches.
(d) 12-14 inches.
12. Where in Texas did Tom Chaney presumably kill a Texas senator?
13. Ranger LaBoeuf tells Mattie that Tom Chaney’s real name is what in Chapter 4?
(a) Owen Hardy.
(b) Theron Chelmsford.
(c) Emmett Quincy.
(d) Sterling Price.
14. How does Mattie get across the river when she has been barred from the ferry in Chapter 5?
(a) She rides across on her horse.
(b) She swims.
(c) She borrows a boat.
(d) She crosses a bridge upstream.
15. After their argument in Chapter 4, Mattie says of Ranger LaBoeuf, “He was angered and thus he left me, clanking away in all his” what?
(a) “Arkansas trappings.”
(b) “Golden armor.”
(c) “Louisiana trappings.”
(d) “Texas trappings.”
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mattie and Ranger LaBoeuf get into a disagreement in Chapter 4, Mattie tells him, “I will not be” what?
2. When Mattie complains in Chapter 6, LaBoeuf says, “You are lucky to be traveling in a place where a spring is so handy. In my country you can ride for days and see no” what?
3. When Mattie is sick in Chapter 4, Mrs. Floyd gives her what medication?
4. By what initials are the railroad tracks called that Mattie, LaBoeuf, and Rooster Cogburn are headed toward in Chapter 6?
5. Of Mrs. Floyd, Mattie says in Chapter 5 that she “could no more keep her mouth closed than can a” what?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)