|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mattie get across the river when she has been barred from the ferry in Chapter 5?
(a) She crosses a bridge upstream.
(b) She swims.
(c) She rides across on her horse.
(d) She borrows a boat.
2. Who does Rooster Cogburn say “helps us on timber cases and them clerks is used to seeing his name” in Chapter 5?
(a) Theron Chelmsford.
(b) Lawyer J. Noble Daggett.
(c) Pig Satterfield.
(d) Judge Isaac Parker.
3. How much money does Ranger LaBoeuf say the Governor of Texas has put up for a reward for Tom Chaney in Chapter 5?
4. Colonel Stonehill tells Mattie that he has a tentative offer for the ponies of ten dollars per head from whom in Chapter 5?
(a) Malvern Stables.
(b) The National Guard.
(c) The Pfitzer Soap Works.
(d) The Union Pacific Railroad.
5. What does Rooster Cogburn have for a ground sheet when they make camp in Chapter 6?
(a) A buffalo robe.
(b) A bearskin rug.
(c) A canvas tarp.
(d) A grass mat.
6. Rooster Cogburn learns from the storekeeper that Lucky Ned Pepper had been seen three days earlier where in Chapter 6?
(a) Anderson’s store.
(b) McAlester’s store.
(c) McKinley’s store.
(d) Wilson’s store.
7. Ranger LaBoeuf tells Mattie in Chapter 4, “Now I am of a mind to give you” what?
(a) “A bottle of whiskey.”
(b) “Five or six good licks with my belt.”
(c) “A toss in the river.”
(d) “A crack with my whip.”
8. Why does Rooster Cogburn arrange in a lariat around his bed in Chapter 6?
(a) To confuse the ants.
(b) To reflect the moonlight.
(c) To scare off mice.
(d) To thwart off snakes.
9. By what mountains do Mattie, LaBoeuf, and Rooster Cogburn stop to let their horses drink from a stream in Chapter 6?
(a) The Gallatin Mountains.
(b) The Beartooth Mountains.
(c) The San Bois Mountains.
(d) The Sierra Nevada Mountains.
10. In Mattie’s letter from Lawyer Daggett in Chapter 5, he tells her that who is “down with an earache”?
(a) Katy Flyer.
(c) Little Frank.
11. At what time does Mattie go to the stock barn and exchange her release for the cash from Colonel Stonehill in Chapter 5?
(a) 6:00 a.m.
(b) 10:00 a.m.
(c) 7:00 a.m.
(d) 9:00 a.m.
12. What does Rooster Cogburn do to the boys that were taunting the mule in Chapter 6?
(a) He throws mule dung at them.
(b) He spanks them.
(c) He pours a spittoon on them.
(d) He kicks them into the mud.
13. How much money does LaBoeuf say the Bibbs family has put up for a reward for Tom Chaney in Chapter 5?
14. Ranger LaBoeuf tells Mattie that she has what kind of manner in Chapter 4?
15. How much does Mattie pay for one of Colonel Stonehill’s ponies in Chapter 5?
Short Answer Questions
1. What Indian dish is on the fire that looks like hominy at the dugout in Chapter 6?
2. Ranger LaBoeuf tells Mattie that Tom Chaney’s real name is what in Chapter 4?
3. Rooster says that Ned Pepper used to work for whom in Chapter 6?
4. Mattie and Ranger LaBoeuf get into an argument regarding where Tom Chaney is to be what, in Chapter 4?
5. About how old is Ranger LaBoeuf when Mattie describes his arrival in Chapter 4?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)