|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The sheriff tells Mattie in Chapter 2 that the reason he’s not hunting for Tom Chaney is because he has no authority where and that now Chaney is the business of the U.S. marshals?
(a) In a National Park.
(b) Hot Spring County.
(c) The State of Texas.
(d) The Indian Nation.
2. Why did Papa take “it in his head to go to Fort Smith” after the last of the cotton was sold, according to Mattie in Chapter 1?
(a) To clear his head.
(b) To sell some gold.
(c) To do some gambling.
(d) To buy some ponies.
3. In his court testimony in Chapter 3, Rooster Cogburn states that he has been a U.S. marshal for almost how many years?
4. Mattie states in Chapter 1 that Tom Chaney said he was from where?
5. Which U.S. marshal does the sheriff say in Chapter 2 brings in prisoners alive and “believes even the worst of men is entitled to a fair shake”?
(a) L.T. Quinn.
(b) Mr. James.
(c) Emmett Quincy.
(d) Jerry Vick.
6. What is Mattie served for breakfast by Mrs. Floyd in the beginning of Chapter 3?
(a) Omelets and trout.
(b) Grits and an egg.
(c) Pancakes and bacon.
(d) Oatmeal and berries.
7. Mattie learns at the Federal Courthouse in Chapter 3 that the head marshal has gone where to deliver prisoners to the house of correction?
(a) Minneapolis, Minnesota.
(b) Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
(c) Chicago, Illinois.
(d) Detroit, Michigan.
8. The gold coins that were stolen from Mattie’s father were from where?
9. How old is Mattie Ross when she leaves home to avenge her father’s murder in the novel?
10. What is Rooster Cogburn’s real first name in the novel?
11. Where did Yarnell Poindexter later become a prosperous house painter, according to Mattie in Chapter 1?
(a) Dallas, Texas.
(b) Detroit, Michigan.
(c) Memphis, Tennessee.
(d) Denver, Colorado.
12. What song does the preacher lead the men about to be hung in as Mattie watches in Chapter 2?
(a) Amazing Grace.
(b) End of the Road.
(c) Swing Low, Sweet Chariot.
(d) Saving Grace.
13. The gold pieces that Mattie’s father carried in his clothes were a wedding gift from Mattie’s grandfather named what?
14. Mattie says in Chapter 3 that Judge Parker died of dropsy in what year?
15. How many men does Rooster Cogburn claim to have killed in his years as a U.S. marshal in Chapter 3?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the cat where Rooster Cogburn lives in Chapter 3?
2. Where has Lawyer Daggett gone to “try one of his steamboat suits” in the beginning of Chapter 2?
3. About how old does Mattie describe Rooster Cogburn as in Chapter 3?
4. What kind of gun does Mattie describe Tom Chaney carrying in Chapter 1?
5. How old does Mattie describe Tom Chaney as being in Chapter 1?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)