|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mattie say the two policemen at the city police station were doing when she and Yarnell arrived to speak with them in Chapter 2?
(a) Playing chess.
(b) Having a fistfight.
(c) Playing cards.
(d) Drinking coffee.
2. The gold pieces that Mattie’s father carried in his clothes were a wedding gift from Mattie’s grandfather named what?
3. In what county is Dardanelle located?
(a) Hot Spring County.
(b) Hempstead County.
(c) Independence County.
(d) Yell County.
4. What animals does Mattie say in Chapter 3 are “all wicked, though often useful”?
5. What is Rooster Cogburn’s real first name in the novel?
6. Rooster Cogburn lives in a small room in back of what in Chapter 3?
(a) A funeral home.
(b) A church.
(c) Chinese grocery store.
(d) The town library.
7. How old does Mattie describe Tom Chaney as being in Chapter 1?
8. How old is Mattie Ross when she leaves home to avenge her father’s murder in the novel?
9. Where has Lawyer Daggett gone to “try one of his steamboat suits” in the beginning of Chapter 2?
10. What stock trader does Mattie’s father go to see in Fort Smith in Chapter 1?
(a) Colonel Stonehill.
(b) Mr. MacDonald.
(c) Bloody Bill Anderson.
(d) Rooster Cogburn.
11. What lawyer’s name does Mattie threaten Colonel Stonehill with in Chapter 3?
(a) Lawyer M. Owen Hardy.
(b) Lawyer D. Farrell Permalee.
(c) Lawyer J. Noble Daggett.
(d) Lawyer T. Emmett Quincy.
12. Colonel Stonehill says in Chapter 3, “They told me this town was the be the” what of “the Southwest”?
13. By what nickname does Mattie refer to Texas in Chapter 1?
(a) Land of the Midnight Sun.
(b) The Lone Star State.
(c) Big Sky Country.
(d) The Granite State.
14. Mattie says in Chapter 2, “I thought then and still think that Fort Smith ought to be in” what state, as opposed to Arkansas?
15. The sheriff tells Mattie in Chapter 2 that the reason he’s not hunting for Tom Chaney is because he has no authority where and that now Chaney is the business of the U.S. marshals?
(a) The Indian Nation.
(b) Hot Spring County.
(c) In a National Park.
(d) The State of Texas.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mattie tell Rooster Cogburn her mother’s family lives in Chapter 3?
2. How much does Mattie pay to stay at the Monarch boarding house per night in Chapter 2?
3. Mattie says of her father in Chapter 1, “His head was full of” what?
4. The gold coins that were stolen from Mattie’s father were from where?
5. In his court testimony in Chapter 3, Rooster Cogburn states that he was traveling with a wagonload of criminals and how many other deputy marshals when the crime occurred?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)