|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In his court testimony in Chapter 3, Rooster Cogburn states that who was killed?
(a) John Wesley Hardin.
(b) Mr. Spotted-Gourd.
(c) Governor Al Smith.
(d) Mr. James.
2. Mattie claims in Chapter 3, “Papa used to say that the only friends we had down here right after the war were” whom?
(a) “The carpetbagger Republicans.”
(b) “The Irish Democrats in New York.”
(c) “The Indians and the cowboys.”
(d) “The English Republicans in Chicago.”
3. Mattie says in Chapter 3, “About the only outlaws in our country who ever went to Federal Court were "moonshiners" like” who?
(a) “Old man Jerry Vick and his boys.”
(b) “Jimmie Jackson and his crew.”
(c) “James Poindexter and Civil War criminals.”
(d) “Jack Ross and the Mallory brothers.”
4. In his court testimony in Chapter 3, Rooster Cogburn states that he has been a U.S. marshal for almost how many years?
5. According to Mattie in Chapter 1, her father was wounded in battle in the “terrible fight at Chickamauga up in the state of” what?
6. The sheriff tells Mattie in Chapter 2 that they think Tom Chaney was in with whose party that robbed a mail hack?
(a) Mr. Bloodworth’s party.
(b) Bloody Bill Anderson’s party.
(c) Lucky Ned Pepper’s party.
(d) L.T. Quinn’s party.
7. Mattie says in Chapter 2, “I thought then and still think that Fort Smith ought to be in” what state, as opposed to Arkansas?
8. Mattie describes a noisy boy going through the crowd at the hanging and selling what?
(a) Peanuts and fudge.
(b) Popcorn and sodas.
(c) Hot dogs and fries.
(d) Burgers and fries.
9. What stock trader does Mattie’s father go to see in Fort Smith in Chapter 1?
(a) Rooster Cogburn.
(b) Bloody Bill Anderson.
(c) Mr. MacDonald.
(d) Colonel Stonehill.
10. Mattie says in Chapter 2, “I noticed that the houses in Fort Smith were numbered but it was no city at all compared to” where?
(d) “Little Rock.”
11. Mattie says in Chapter 3 that Judge Parker died of dropsy in what year?
12. In his court testimony in Chapter 3, Rooster Cogburn states that he was traveling with a wagonload of criminals and how many other deputy marshals when the crime occurred?
13. What newspaper does Mattie mention that publishes a delinquent tax list every year in Chapter 3?
(a) The New York Times.
(b) The Houston Weekly.
(c) The Chicago Chronicle.
(d) The Arkansas Gazette.
14. How many men does Rooster Cogburn claim to have killed in his years as a U.S. marshal in Chapter 3?
15. Why did Papa take “it in his head to go to Fort Smith” after the last of the cotton was sold, according to Mattie in Chapter 1?
(a) To do some gambling.
(b) To sell some gold.
(c) To buy some ponies.
(d) To clear his head.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Tom Chaney kill Mattie’s father, according to Mattie’s narrative in Chapter 1?
2. What is the name of the cat where Rooster Cogburn lives in Chapter 3?
3. Rooster Cogburn lives in a small room in back of what in Chapter 3?
4. When Mattie sends Yarnell back with her father’s body in Chapter 2, she tells him to have who put the body in a better coffin?
5. Mattie learns at the Federal Courthouse in Chapter 3 that the head marshal has gone where to deliver prisoners to the house of correction?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)