|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mattie learns at the Federal Courthouse in Chapter 3 that the head marshal has gone where to deliver prisoners to the house of correction?
(a) Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
(b) Chicago, Illinois.
(c) Detroit, Michigan.
(d) Minneapolis, Minnesota.
2. Who does Mattie share a room with at the Monarch boarding house in Chapter 2?
(a) The Original Greaser Bob.
(b) Theron Chelmsford.
(c) Harold Permalee.
(d) Grandma Turner.
3. The sheriff tells Mattie in Chapter 2 that they think Tom Chaney was in with whose party that robbed a mail hack?
(a) Mr. Bloodworth’s party.
(b) Lucky Ned Pepper’s party.
(c) L.T. Quinn’s party.
(d) Bloody Bill Anderson’s party.
4. Mattie says in Chapter 3 that Judge Parker died of dropsy in what year?
5. What is the name of the hangman in Chapter 2?
(a) Farrell Permalee.
(b) Mr. Spotted-Gourd.
(c) George Maledon.
(d) William Waters.
6. How did Tom Chaney kill Mattie’s father, according to Mattie’s narrative in Chapter 1?
(a) He shot him.
(b) He strangled him.
(c) He stabbed him.
(d) He drowned him.
7. Where has Lawyer Daggett gone to “try one of his steamboat suits” in the beginning of Chapter 2?
8. Mattie describes the undertaker that she and Yarnell go to see about her father’s body as being what in Chapter 2?
(a) An Englishman.
(b) A Scotsman.
(c) An Irishman.
(d) A Yankee.
9. According to Mattie in Chapter 1, her father had how many acres of “good bottom land on the south bank of the Arkansas River?
10. What stock trader does Mattie’s father go to see in Fort Smith in Chapter 1?
(a) Mr. MacDonald.
(b) Rooster Cogburn.
(c) Colonel Stonehill.
(d) Bloody Bill Anderson.
11. Mattie says of her father in Chapter 1, “His head was full of” what?
(b) “Bad jokes.”
12. What is Rooster Cogburn’s real first name in the novel?
13. What is Mattie’s sister’s name in the novel?
14. How long does the Indian struggle before he dies in the hanging in Chapter 2?
(a) 15 minutes.
(b) 10 minutes.
(c) 5 minutes.
(d) 30 minutes.
15. What is the name of the cat where Rooster Cogburn lives in Chapter 3?
(a) Governor Al Smith.
(b) General Sterling Price.
(c) Admiral Forest Jacobs.
(d) Corporal Jack Bartle.
Short Answer Questions
1. How far does Mattie say the distance was between their family stead and Fort Smith, Arkansas, in Chapter 1?
2. When Mattie sends Yarnell back with her father’s body in Chapter 2, she tells him to have who put the body in a better coffin?
3. Who does Mattie say “watched all his hangings from an upper window in the Courthouse” in Chapter 2?
4. What was the name of Mattie’s father?
5. Mattie describes a noisy boy going through the crowd at the hanging and selling what?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)