• Chapter 1 introduces Mattie Ross as the protagonist and narrator of the story.
• Mattie relates the story in the past tense, recalling when she left home in the winter to avenge her father's murder at age 14.
• Tom Chaney shot Mattie's father in Fort Smith, Arkansas and robbed him of his horse and $150, plus two California gold pieces.
• Tom Chaney was a tenant on Mattie's father's land and took pity on Tom Chaney, who accompanied Mattie's father to Fort Smith to buy some ponies.
• Yarnell Poindexter is a free black man who is left in charge of Mattie's land and is to check in on Mattie and her mother in his absence.
• According to Mattie's story, Tom Chaney got drunk and shot Mattie's father when he tried to intervene in a bar squabble.
• Tom Chaney stole $150 and the gold pieces and fled to Indian Territory.
• In Chapter 2, Mattie...
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)