|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Gabriel call Emi from Mexico in Chapter 29?
2. Who does Gabriel call to learn Corazon Juarez's first name?
3. In Chapter 25, who keeps Gabriel informed about the developments among the homeless population on the freeway?
4. Why does Gabriel call Bobby in Chapter 26?
5. What does Rafaela do with the box she takes from Gabriel's in Chapter 24?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Gabriel and Emi's attitudes toward the news differ in Chapters 26 and 27?
2. Why doesn't Rafaela tell Gabriel about the people harvesting human organs in Chapter 24?
3. Why does Buzzworm keep telling Emi about the police in Chapter 31?
4. Why does Rafaela visit Gabriel's house, after leaving Dona Maria's, in Chapter 24?
5. In Chapter 39, how does Rafaela help Gabriel try to find Sol?
6. What happens when Arcangel gives up moving the bus in Chapter 36?
7. What happens when Gabriel calls Emi in Chapter 29?
8. In Chapter 27, what does Gabriel ask of Emi while he is away in Mexico?
9. What happens when Gabriel faxes Bobby the wrestler poster in Chapter 40?
10. How does Arcangel bond with Rodriguez in Chapter 23?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author use language and tone in developing the various settings and scenes in this novel? Consider the connotations of her word choice.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the use of creating a novel out of many smaller stories that are interconnected briefly through the relationships between the characters. Is this useful? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The homeless population play a central role in this novel, although most remain unknown characters. Consider how the characters in "Tropic of Orange" relate to the homeless. How does this large group work as a single character? What is the commentary this novel provides on the homeless?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)