|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Gabriel know what he is looking for in Mexico in Chapter 32?
2. After showing Manzanar the cooler, what does Buzzworm notice?
3. In Chapter 25, why does Gabriel think the homeless living in cars on the freeway will be safe from police interference?
4. While riding the bus in Chapter 30, what does Rafaela note as being strange?
5. What does Emi do when she realizes she is dying?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 45, what happens when Bobby and Rafaela reunite?
2. In Chapter 39, how does Rafaela help Gabriel try to find Sol?
3. How does Rafaela protect herself from the man in the black Jaguar?
4. What does Emi confess to Buzzworm when she is on top of the news van?
5. While crossing the border into the United States, what do Xiayue's questions remind Bobby of?
6. In Chapter 27, what does Gabriel ask of Emi while he is away in Mexico?
7. What happens when Rafaela calls Gabriel after mailing him the cooler from Dona Maria's?
8. How does Gabriel reveal C. Juarez's real name?
9. What happens when Gabriel calls Emi in Chapter 29?
10. What do Buzzworm and Emi do before Emi dies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is "Tropic of Orange" a satire? Define the genre and consider the aspects of this novel that fit the description. How can you account for the aspects of this novel that do not appear to be straight satire? What makes satire an effective, or appropriate, genre for the message of "Tropic of Orange"?
Essay Topic 2
The official government plays a very small physical role in this novel, yet their presence and purpose is frequently commented on, or alluded to. What is the role of the government in "Tropic of Orange"? How do the actions of the government affect the conflict in this novel and the resolution sought by the characters? What is the effect of having the government alluded to by unrelated characters instead of being a direct character itself?
Essay Topic 3
What commentary on crime does the author provide in "Tropic or Orange"? Describe and analyze the different crimes committed throughout this novel to reveal a message about crime in American society. How do the characters react to these crimes? How do the criminals justify their crimes? In what ways is crime detailed to be a negative human behavior? A positive human behavior? What is the role of crime in the greater context of society?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)