|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Emi sunbathe in Chapter 41?
2. Why does Gabriel call Emi from Mexico in Chapter 29?
3. After Rafaela mails the cooler and calls Gabriel, what does Gabriel worry most about?
4. Why is Gabriel unable to track the smuggled oranges?
5. How old does Emi say she was when Manzanar disappeared from her life?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Rafaela visit Gabriel's house, after leaving Dona Maria's, in Chapter 24?
2. Why is Buzzworm concerned about the herion injected in oranges when he hears about it in Chapter 22?
3. In Chapter 39, how does Rafaela help Gabriel try to find Sol?
4. What happens when Arcangel tries to cross the United States border in Chapter 33?
5. What happens when Gabriel goes to Mazatlan in Chapter 32?
6. How does Gabriel reveal C. Juarez's real name?
7. What does Emi confess to Buzzworm when she is on top of the news van?
8. How does Gabriel feel about the use of technology in his news reporting?
9. What happens after the gun is fired in Chapter 42?
10. What does Buzzworm do once he has possession of the cooler Rafaela mailed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the extended orange metaphor throughout the development of "Tropic of Orange". Consider the descriptions of the orange in relation to the scenes where it is features. How does the orange's physical movement serve as an extended metaphor?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the use of creating a novel out of many smaller stories that are interconnected briefly through the relationships between the characters. Is this useful? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Complete a character analysis on Arcangel. How is he described? What role does he play in the novel? How do his magical qualities affect this novel? How does Arcangel's character influence the major themes of this novel?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)