|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, what does Rafaela want Bobby to do before she returns home?
2. In Chapter 10, how does Dona Maria talk about Gabriel to Rafaela?
3. In Chapter 12, why is Bobby told to go to Mexico?
4. Why does Buzzworm wear several watches?
5. Where does Arcangel say he is from?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 7, why does the crowd of people distrust Arcangel?
2. In Chapter 14, what does Emi learn about the car accident?
3. What does Buzzworm do with his watches in Chapter 4?
4. In Chapter 13, what is Buzzworm's plan for improving Los Angeles neighborhoods?
5. What happens when Bobby meets with the traffickers in Chapter 15?
6. In Chapter 1, how is Rafaela's life in Mexico described?
7. Why does Gabriel spend time near Mazatlan, Mexico in Chapter 1?
8. What does Bobby think about his disagreements with Rafaela before she left for Mexico?
9. How does Gabriel feel while going out to eat with Emi in Chapter 20?
10. Why does Rafaela leave Bobby?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the symbolism of one of the following: the trees, the nearly invisible line, the cooler, the Hollywood sign. What does the physical item represent about the characters in this novel? What does the physical item reveal about the major themes?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the theme of technology in this novel. How do the characters use technology? What is the commentary provided about technology's purpose? Its usefulness? In what ways does technology bind the characters and plot lines of this novel as a theme?
Essay Topic 3
What is the commentary the author provides on multi-culturalism in "Tropic of Orange"? How do the characters with multi-cultural backgrounds influence this commentary? What does the movement between Mexico and the United States reveal about multi-cultural societies?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)