|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the young man say happened to him in Chapter 13 when shots were fired?
2. How does Bobby try to quit smoking?
3. Why does Buzzworm wear several watches?
4. In Chapter 4, who does Buzzworm find food for?
5. In Chapter 17, what happens on the freeway near the accident site?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Arcangel do when he sees a broken down truck holding up traffic in Chapter 11?
2. Why does Rafaela steal from Dona Maria in Chapter 18?
3. In Chapter 7, why does the crowd of people distrust Arcangel?
4. What does Buzzworm do with his watches in Chapter 4?
5. What does Manzanar do as he watches the second fire in Chapter 19?
6. In Chapter 5, how is Manzanar Mukakami introduced?
7. Why is Gabriel finally able to interview Manzanar?
8. How does Gabriel feel while going out to eat with Emi in Chapter 20?
9. How does Buzzworm describe the work he does?
10. What does Gabriel say he will do if he wins the Pulitzer Prize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Buzzworm to official social workers or hired news crews. How does each group feel about their jobs/roles? How do they fulfill roles? What does having Buzzworm fill this position reveal about the official workers?
Essay Topic 2
The homeless population play a central role in this novel, although most remain unknown characters. Consider how the characters in "Tropic of Orange" relate to the homeless. How does this large group work as a single character? What is the commentary this novel provides on the homeless?
Essay Topic 3
The official government plays a very small physical role in this novel, yet their presence and purpose is frequently commented on, or alluded to. What is the role of the government in "Tropic of Orange"? How do the actions of the government affect the conflict in this novel and the resolution sought by the characters? What is the effect of having the government alluded to by unrelated characters instead of being a direct character itself?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)