|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Emi take Gabriel in Chapter 9?
2. Why does Manzanar finally accept being interviewed by Gabriel?
3. In Chapter 19, why does Manzanar watch the fire?
4. In Chapter 10, how does Dona Maria talk about Gabriel to Rafaela?
5. How does Emi describe cultural diversity in Chapter 20?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gabriel say he will do if he wins the Pulitzer Prize?
2. Why is Gabriel finally able to interview Manzanar?
3. In Chapter 14, what does Emi learn about the car accident?
4. Why does Rafaela steal from Dona Maria in Chapter 18?
5. How does Buzzworm describe the work he does?
6. Why does Gabriel say things haven't seem right in Chapter 9?
7. What happens when Bobby meets with the traffickers in Chapter 15?
8. How does Gabriel choose the trees for his landscaping in Mexico?
9. Why does Gabriel spend time near Mazatlan, Mexico in Chapter 1?
10. In Chapter 5, how is Manzanar Mukakami introduced?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does "Tropic of Orange" reveal about relations between the United States and Mexico? Research the history of this relationship and compare it to the depiction of the relationship in this novel. Consider how the citizens interact as well as the official governments.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Buzzworm to official social workers or hired news crews. How does each group feel about their jobs/roles? How do they fulfill roles? What does having Buzzworm fill this position reveal about the official workers?
Essay Topic 3
What commentary on crime does the author provide in "Tropic or Orange"? Describe and analyze the different crimes committed throughout this novel to reveal a message about crime in American society. How do the characters react to these crimes? How do the criminals justify their crimes? In what ways is crime detailed to be a negative human behavior? A positive human behavior? What is the role of crime in the greater context of society?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)