|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Bobby get his passport from in order to move to the United Stated?
2. In Chapter 6, what does Buzzworm say killed a homeless transvestite?
3. What happens when people begin to abandon their cars in Chapter 17?
4. In Chapter 4, who does Buzzworm find food for?
5. How does Manzanar Mukakami describe traffic in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Buzzworm do with his watches in Chapter 4?
2. What does Manzanar do as he watches the second fire in Chapter 19?
3. What happens during Gabriel's date with Emi in Chapter 3?
4. How does Gabriel feel while going out to eat with Emi in Chapter 20?
5. What does Gabriel say he will do if he wins the Pulitzer Prize?
6. In Chapter 5, how is Manzanar Mukakami introduced?
7. After leaving the restaurant in Chapter 21, what new part of his identity does Arcangel reveal?
8. Why does Gabriel spend time near Mazatlan, Mexico in Chapter 1?
9. What does Arcangel do when he sees a broken down truck holding up traffic in Chapter 11?
10. In Chapter 14, what does Emi learn about the car accident?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the commentary the author provides on multi-culturalism in "Tropic of Orange"? How do the characters with multi-cultural backgrounds influence this commentary? What does the movement between Mexico and the United States reveal about multi-cultural societies?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Rafaela to Emi. How do these characters define women and their role in society in this novel? How do their feelings toward work affect this definition? How do their attitudes about the homeless and crime affect this definition? Consider the reactions of other characters to these women as a way to gauge approval, or disapproval, of the role of women.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the use of creating a novel out of many smaller stories that are interconnected briefly through the relationships between the characters. Is this useful? Why or why not?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)