|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Gabriel leave work in Chapter 6?
2. In Chapter 20, where do Emi and Gabriel meet?
3. In Chapter 19, why does Manzanar watch the fire?
4. How do other homeless men feel about Manzanar Mukakami?
5. Why does Gabriel become angry with Emi in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bobby feel about the letter he receives in Chapter 12 about his cousin?
2. In Chapter 5, how is Manzanar Mukakami introduced?
3. In Chapter 16, what raises Buzzworm's suspicion about the deaths of his friends?
4. What does Buzzworm do with his watches in Chapter 4?
5. What happens during Gabriel's date with Emi in Chapter 3?
6. In Chapter 7, what does Arcangel say about his past?
7. In Chapter 1, how is Rafaela's life in Mexico described?
8. What history of Gabriel's work is given in Chapter 6?
9. In Chapter 7, why does the crowd of people distrust Arcangel?
10. How does Gabriel feel while going out to eat with Emi in Chapter 20?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of the news vs. entertainment in society in "Tropic of Orange"? How does the author turn this into a major theme? What does she suggest about the news?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Buzzworm to official social workers or hired news crews. How does each group feel about their jobs/roles? How do they fulfill roles? What does having Buzzworm fill this position reveal about the official workers?
Essay Topic 3
How is this novel an example of magical realism? Describe the elements of magical realism and explain how "Tropic of Orange" aligns with this description and how it does not. How does this genre direct the text? How does this genre help the author deliver her commentary on society?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)