|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Rafaela Cortez start each morning?
(a) By waking up her children.
(b) By doing loads of laundry.
(c) By sweeping the house.
(d) By drinking a cup of coffee.
2. When Bobby recounts how he met Rafaela in Chapter 12, why does he say he visited her every weekend after meeting her?
(a) Because he wanted to help her with her education.
(b) Because he thought she was beautiful.
(c) Because her brother paid him to.
(d) He didn't visit her every weekend after they met.
3. Why can't Rodriguez apologize to Rafaela in Chapter 10 as he works on the property?
(a) Because he is too nervous.
(b) Because Rafaela leaves before he can speak to her.
(c) Because Rafaela can't understand him.
(d) Because Rafaela refuses to listen to him.
4. Why does Emi tease Gabriel in Chapter 20 as they eat?
(a) Because he always insists on paying.
(b) Because he is a messy eater.
(c) She doesn't tease him; he teases her.
(d) Because he isn't an adventurous eater.
5. Why does Gabriel become angry with Emi in Chapter 3?
(a) Because she teases him.
(b) Because she leaves early.
(c) Because she disagrees with his politics.
(d) Because she has another boyfriend.
6. Why does Arcangel have a difficult time in the restaurant in Chapter 21?
(a) He is seated too close to the door and is nervous.
(b) He finds the chairs to be uncomfortable.
(c) He has to convince the chef to cook something for him.
(d) He has to find enough money to pay his bill.
7. Where did Bobby get his passport from in order to move to the United Stated?
(a) A church.
(b) A lawyer in Japan.
(c) A refugee camp.
(d) A man on the street.
8. What makes Bobby think of Rafaela's brother in Chapter 12?
(a) When he thinks of Rafaela.
(b) When he goes to the bank.
(c) When he gets a call from Rafaela's sister.
(d) When he watches crime reports on the news.
9. What does Emi do when the woman near her tries to start an argument about cultural diversity in Chapter 20?
(a) Emi throws a drink on her.
(b) Emi insults the woman personally.
(c) Emi points out the fallacies in the woman's argument.
(d) Emi walks away.
10. In Chapter 1, what does Rafaela describe about Gabriel's house?
(a) The trees.
(b) The backyard.
(c) The porch.
(d) The tile floors.
11. What happens when people begin to abandon their cars in Chapter 17?
(a) The police arrest them.
(b) Rioters smash the cars' windows.
(c) They are shot at.
(d) Homeless people take over their cars.
12. What does Dona Maria say Hernando does for a living?
(a) Builds cars.
(b) Imports and exports oranges.
(c) Works as a nurse.
(d) Sells fruit in the market.
13. How does Buzzworm react to Margarita's death?
(a) He ignores it.
(b) He is devistated by it.
(c) He is suspicious of it.
(d) He doesn't believe she is dead.
14. How do other homeless men feel about Manzanar Mukakami?
(a) They are entertained by him.
(b) They are embarrassed by him.
(c) They never comment on him.
(d) They admire him greatly.
15. Who sees the orange roll down the street in Chapter 11?
(a) Dona Maria.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nationality is Bobby?
2. What does Buzzworm try to buy from the market in Chapter 13?
3. In Chapter 9, why is Gabriel having a difficult time following Buzzworm's lead on the news story about the homeless man?
4. What does Buzzworm give the young man in Chapter 13 after he hears the gun fire?
5. In Chapter 9, what does Gabriel say has been wrong for a few days?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)