|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 19, why does Manzanar watch the fire?
(a) He doesn't watch the fire.
(b) Because he wants to tell officials about the development.
(c) Because he wants to help people escape it.
(d) Because he has no possessions to save.
2. In Chapter 6, what does Gabriel realize is wrong with his house in Mexico?
(a) He can't speak Spanish.
(b) It's on a flood plain.
(c) No one from Los Angeles will want to visit.
(d) He probably can't afford it.
3. How does Bobby react when he is robbed in Chapter 2?
(a) He tries to stab the robber.
(b) He beats the robber.
(c) He runs away.
(d) He falls to the ground.
4. In Chapter 1, what advice does Rafaela give Gabriel about his house in Mexico?
(a) That he should rent it out as a vacation home.
(b) That he should landscape before he moves in.
(c) The he should put a fence around it.
(d) That he should buy things for it in the United States.
5. In Chapter 12, how does Bobby describe his disagreements with Rafaela?
6. Why does Gabriel think Manzanar was not born in a World War II camp?
(a) Because Manzanar knows nothing about Europe.
(b) Because Manzanar looks too young.
(c) Because Manzanar looks too old.
(d) Gabriel does believe Manzanar was born in the camp.
7. What does Emi do when the woman near her tries to start an argument about cultural diversity in Chapter 20?
(a) Emi insults the woman personally.
(b) Emi walks away.
(c) Emi points out the fallacies in the woman's argument.
(d) Emi throws a drink on her.
8. What does the young man say happened to him in Chapter 13 when shots were fired?
(a) That the bullets curved around him.
(b) That he was hit in the foot.
(c) That he fired the gun accidentally.
(d) That his friend was shot.
9. In Chapter 13, what does Buzzworm say the first step is to improving neighborhoods?
(a) Helping people earn more money.
(b) Hiring more police officers to patrol neighborhoods.
(c) Buzzworm isn't sure about the steps to his plan.
(d) Having people take pride in their neighborhoods.
10. How does Buzzworm react to Margarita's death?
(a) He is devistated by it.
(b) He doesn't believe she is dead.
(c) He is suspicious of it.
(d) He ignores it.
11. How does Bobby feel about the wage he earns in the United States?
(a) He is worried that he won't have any savings.
(b) He thinks it is acceptable.
(c) He is excited by how generous it is.
(d) He is angry that he isn't paid more.
12. In Chapter 10, how does Dona Maria talk about Gabriel to Rafaela?
(a) She refuses to talk about him.
(b) As if they are good friends.
(c) Like she dislikes him.
(d) In a mother-like way.
13. Why does Gabriel become angry with Emi in Chapter 3?
(a) Because she disagrees with his politics.
(b) Because she teases him.
(c) Because she leaves early.
(d) Because she has another boyfriend.
14. In Chapter 10, what upsets Rodriguez about the eggs?
(a) They are all missing.
(b) They all have two yolks.
(c) They are all cracked.
(d) There are fewer than usual.
15. What does Gabriel write for a living?
(a) International news.
(b) Weather reports.
(c) News commentary.
(d) Local news.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 12, why is Bobby told to go to Mexico?
2. How does Rafaela Cortez start each morning?
3. What happens when people begin to abandon their cars in Chapter 17?
4. When does Gabriel call Buzzworm in Chapter 6?
5. What does Rafaela steal from Dona Maria's house in Chapter 18?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)