|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What business does Bobby run?
(a) A car repair business.
(b) A mail sorting business.
(c) A lunch delivery business.
(d) A janitorial business.
2. Why is the television on as Emi and Gabriel eat in Chapter 20?
(a) Because it is always on.
(b) Because Emi insists they put on the news.
(c) To provide coverage of the fire.
(d) To show the local weather.
3. How does Bobby try to quit smoking?
(b) Chewing gum.
(c) He doesn't try to quit smoking.
(d) Chinese herbs.
4. How does Emi describe cultural diversity in Chapter 20?
(a) As being powerful.
(b) As being nonsense.
(c) As being dangerous.
(d) As being the future.
5. Why does Gabriel say he bought the property near Mazatlan, Mexico?
(a) Because it is near Rafaela.
(b) Because it lines up with a river.
(c) Because it was cheap.
(d) Because the Tropic of Cancer runs through it.
6. What does Dona Maria say Hernando does for a living?
(a) Sells fruit in the market.
(b) Builds cars.
(c) Imports and exports oranges.
(d) Works as a nurse.
7. In Chapter 7, what does Arcangel predict?
(c) The future of politics.
(d) The gender of unborn babies.
8. How many men are in the sports car during the accident in Chapter 8?
9. Why does Gabriel think Manzanar was not born in a World War II camp?
(a) Because Manzanar knows nothing about Europe.
(b) Because Manzanar looks too old.
(c) Because Manzanar looks too young.
(d) Gabriel does believe Manzanar was born in the camp.
10. Where does Emi take Gabriel in Chapter 9?
(a) A bridge.
(b) The airport.
(c) The library.
(d) A hospital.
11. What does Buzzworm give the young man in Chapter 13 after he hears the gun fire?
(a) A bag of peanuts.
(c) A watch.
(d) A map of Los Angeles.
12. In Chapter 6, why doesn't Gabriel tease the editor he is testing?
(a) Because Gabriel is too tired.
(b) Because Gabriel likes the editor.
(c) Because Gabriel is thinking about Emi instead.
(d) Because Gabriel is afraid of the editor.
13. What happens when people begin to abandon their cars in Chapter 17?
(a) Rioters smash the cars' windows.
(b) Homeless people take over their cars.
(c) They are shot at.
(d) The police arrest them.
14. Why does Bobby meet with traffickers in Chapter 15?
(a) To find more work.
(b) To bring his cousin to the United States.
(c) To try to find his wife.
(d) To get his immigration papers.
15. In Chapter 2, what does Rafaela want Bobby to do before she returns home?
(a) Buy a new house.
(b) Register to vote.
(c) Give up smoking.
(d) Find a new job.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 12, how does Bobby describe his disagreements with Rafaela?
2. Why does Arcangel have a difficult time in the restaurant in Chapter 21?
3. In Chapter 13, what does Buzzworm say the first step is to improving neighborhoods?
4. What does Emi see while talking to Gabriel on the phone in Chapter 9?
5. Why does Manzanar finally accept being interviewed by Gabriel?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)