Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After losing his job, what do Carl and Van Norden keep asking Henry?
2. How does the blond woman react to Henry's offer of fifty francs?
3. How do Henry and Fillmore become conspicuous in the church?
4. How does the English woman react when Henry suggests going to a hotel?
5. Why is Fillmore so taken with Macha?
Essay Topic 1
Do some research on Hinduism and write a paper on how Henry may have only looked at the religion superficially. Contrast the Hinduism practiced by the young Hindu lecturer and Nanantatee with the Hinduism as practiced by Gandhi.
Essay Topic 2
Henry discovers Papini and is impressed with his writing. Do some research on Papini and explain what it is about him that Miller so admired. Be sure to mention the slight difference in what Papini said about the artist needing to be alone and what Henry says about the same subject.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper discussing Henry Miller's attitude toward women. Do you think he is clearly a sexist? Are there moments when he appears to be of two minds about the value of women? Include his thoughts viewing the graffiti on the lavatory walls and the way he looks at Boris' treatment of Elsa.
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)