|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Henry's behavior just before he leaves the blonde woman's room?
2. What weakness appears in Henry as he plans how to use the money given to him?
3. What is the best thing Henry notes about Kruger, the painter and sculptor?
4. Who urges Henry to run away to Russia with Tania?
5. How does the English woman react when Henry suggests going to a hotel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Henry stop writing?
2. Why does Henry think it is a sorry state to be human?
3. Describe the scene when Yvette comes in drunk and half naked to Jimmie's bar.
4. Explain how Henry compares Paris to a whore.
5. What is the one thing that makes Van Norden's dump of a hotel acceptable?
6. What do Henry's thoughts about the naked trollops represent?
7. How does Henry feel going to his room in the dark dormitory late at night?
8. Why is Fillmore so late in inviting Henry to move in with him?
9. Describe Henry's feelings when he has placed himself on a budget.
10. What is it about Van Norden that puzzles Henry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper on the power of words and how Miller's use of street language makes his novel so powerful. When reading THE TROPIC OF CANCER, does the vocabulary sometimes make you uncomfortable? Do you think that is exactly the reaction Miller hoped for? Discuss the difference in reading such a novel for its literary merits rather than for satisfying prurient curiosity.
Essay Topic 2
Henry discovers Papini and is impressed with his writing. Do some research on Papini and explain what it is about him that Miller so admired. Be sure to mention the slight difference in what Papini said about the artist needing to be alone and what Henry says about the same subject.
Essay Topic 3
Miller correctly identifies many people's obsession with royalty in Chapter 12 when he writes about Macha, the presumed Russian princess. Write a paper expressing your opinion about how you see the status of royalty today. You might want to include a reference to the late Princess Diana of England in your comments.
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)