Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After losing his job, what do Carl and Van Norden keep asking Henry?
2. How does the blond woman react to Henry's offer of fifty francs?
3. How do Henry and Fillmore become conspicuous in the church?
4. How does the English woman react when Henry suggests going to a hotel?
5. Why is Fillmore so taken with Macha?
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper about how the French surrealists influenced Miller's work. Use two or three of the surreal dreams or day dreams in the book to illustrate your point. How do some of those passages sound like an early encounter with the Twilight Zone.
Essay Topic 2
Much of TROPIC OF CANCER deals with hunger. Miller makes it clear that hunger eclipses all other human drives. Write an essay on the broader theme of world hunger where people do not have Henry's ability to find food.
Essay Topic 3
Pretend you are a newspaper critic and write a summary and critique of THE TROPIC OF CANCER. In your review of the novel, include your recommendation about whether someone should or should not read the book and be specific about your reasons.
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)