|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Henry and Fillmore do when the priest chases them outside?
2. What is Henry's assessment of Mark Swift?
3. Why does Henry enjoy the company of the photographer?
4. What does Henry have to learn to do in his new job?
5. What does Van Norden call everyone?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Henry compares Paris to a whore.
2. Give a brief description of Van Norden.
3. What is it about Boris that Henry can never quite understand?
4. Explain how Henry is helped from Kruger's studio.
5. Where has Tania been and what does she want from Henry?
6. What is Fillmore's reason for being so considerate of Henry?
7. Why does Kruger evict Henry from his studio?
8. Why is Fillmore so late in inviting Henry to move in with him?
9. How does Henry start out to spend his last night in Paris before going to Dijon?
10. What makes Henry think about the high born women of Paris?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using the young Hindu cleric and the escapade in the Eglise Ste.-Clotilde, write a paper expressing how you see Miller's opinion of religion. Do you notice any inconsistency in how Miller treats religion?
Essay Topic 2
Much of TROPIC OF CANCER deals with hunger. Miller makes it clear that hunger eclipses all other human drives. Write an essay on the broader theme of world hunger where people do not have Henry's ability to find food.
Essay Topic 3
Do some research on Hinduism and write a paper on how Henry may have only looked at the religion superficially. Contrast the Hinduism practiced by the young Hindu lecturer and Nanantatee with the Hinduism as practiced by Gandhi.
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)