|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are they looking for in the church when the priest stops them?
2. How does the blond woman react to Henry's offer of fifty francs?
3. What is Henry's opinion about the war games that take place at the barracks next to Fillmore's place?
4. What are the physical ailments of the people in Fillmore's apartment?
5. After losing his job, what do Carl and Van Norden keep asking Henry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Fillmore's reason for being so considerate of Henry?
2. Explain how Henry is helped from Kruger's studio.
3. Explain how Henry compares Paris to a whore.
4. Give a brief description of Van Norden.
5. What is it about Van Norden that puzzles Henry?
6. What makes Henry think about the high born women of Paris?
7. What does Henry think about the English girl who stops him in the rain to ask for the time?
8. What is the story that Collins tells Henry to lift his spirits?
9. Describe the idea Henry and Carl get from Van Norden.
10. What is it about Boris that Henry can never quite understand?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hustling and conning people are important themes of the novel. Using examples from the novel, discuss how it is human nature to be deceitful to get what you want or simply to survive. Discuss any personal experience you have had similar to the events Henry writes about.
Essay Topic 2
Henry discovers Papini and is impressed with his writing. Do some research on Papini and explain what it is about him that Miller so admired. Be sure to mention the slight difference in what Papini said about the artist needing to be alone and what Henry says about the same subject.
Essay Topic 3
Henry cannot show Mona the Paris he is so enamored of because his love of the city is all bound up in his suffering. Write an essay about the difference in visiting a place as a tourist and really knowing the place from having lived there.
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)