|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Van Norden insist that his teeth are all rotten?
2. After losing his job, what do Carl and Van Norden keep asking Henry?
3. Why does Henry return to hustling meals and lodging?
4. Why could Henry never show Mona the Paris he loves?
5. What finally gets the Russian princess out of Fillmore's apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do both Fillmore and Henry appear to be gullible?
2. What is Fillmore's reason for being so considerate of Henry?
3. What does Henry think about the English girl who stops him in the rain to ask for the time?
4. Where has Tania been and what does she want from Henry?
5. What is the one thing that makes Van Norden's dump of a hotel acceptable?
6. Describe the scene when Yvette comes in drunk and half naked to Jimmie's bar.
7. How does Henry see flow of the word about him?
8. What is the story that Collins tells Henry to lift his spirits?
9. What makes Henry think about the high born women of Paris?
10. What is the unfortunate condition at the University during the winter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A difficult time for Henry was when he was employed and had to, as he put it, kiss the boss's ass. Write a paper on the difficulty of being an employee and having to suppress your personal feelings and ideas because of a dictatorial boss.
Essay Topic 2
One of the more amusing antics in the novel is the letter writing campaign to find Carl a rich wife. Write an essay expressing your opinion about marrying for money versus marrying for love. Let your creativity flow, using humor to get your points across.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper discussing Henry Miller's attitude toward women. Do you think he is clearly a sexist? Are there moments when he appears to be of two minds about the value of women? Include his thoughts viewing the graffiti on the lavatory walls and the way he looks at Boris' treatment of Elsa.
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)