|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Henry's assessment of Mark Swift?
2. What does Henry think will happen to the world if someone really writes his true thoughts and experiences?
3. How does Henry make a little extra money while he is at Fillmore's place?
4. How does the blond woman react to Henry's offer of fifty francs?
5. What are they looking for in the church when the priest stops them?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the nature of the job Henry accepts in Dijon.
2. What is it about Boris that Henry can never quite understand?
3. Why is Fillmore so late in inviting Henry to move in with him?
4. What makes Henry think about the high born women of Paris?
5. Why is it that Henry does not want to go to Russia with Tania?
6. When the blonde woman stays away too long and leaves Henry alone in her room, what does he do?
7. How do both Fillmore and Henry appear to be gullible?
8. What is the one thing that makes Van Norden's dump of a hotel acceptable?
9. How does Henry feel going to his room in the dark dormitory late at night?
10. Give a brief description of Van Norden.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do some research on Hinduism and write a paper on how Henry may have only looked at the religion superficially. Contrast the Hinduism practiced by the young Hindu lecturer and Nanantatee with the Hinduism as practiced by Gandhi.
Essay Topic 2
A difficult time for Henry was when he was employed and had to, as he put it, kiss the boss's ass. Write a paper on the difficulty of being an employee and having to suppress your personal feelings and ideas because of a dictatorial boss.
Essay Topic 3
Henry cannot show Mona the Paris he is so enamored of because his love of the city is all bound up in his suffering. Write an essay about the difference in visiting a place as a tourist and really knowing the place from having lived there.
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)