|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry say is the worst writing job he undertook?
2. Describe the ridiculous method Fillmore has of getting women into his bedroom.
3. How long does it take before Irene agrees to meet Carl in her hotel?
4. One place has a good room but why does he not take it?
5. How do Fillmore and Henry deal with the cold flat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where has Tania been and what does she want from Henry?
2. Why does Henry think it is a sorry state to be human?
3. What is the story that Collins tells Henry to lift his spirits?
4. Explain how Henry is helped from Kruger's studio.
5. How does Henry feel going to his room in the dark dormitory late at night?
6. What do Henry's thoughts about the naked trollops represent?
7. What does Henry think about the English girl who stops him in the rain to ask for the time?
8. Why is Fillmore so late in inviting Henry to move in with him?
9. Why is it that Henry does not want to go to Russia with Tania?
10. Why does Henry stop writing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Miller addresses the idea of the artist suffering for his or her art. Do some research and and compare Henry's suffering with some other writers and artists who went through difficult times in order to produce masterpieces. You might want to include such people as Edgar Allen Poe, James Fenimore Cooper, Michelangelo, or Edith Piaf in your essay.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper on the power of words and how Miller's use of street language makes his novel so powerful. When reading THE TROPIC OF CANCER, does the vocabulary sometimes make you uncomfortable? Do you think that is exactly the reaction Miller hoped for? Discuss the difference in reading such a novel for its literary merits rather than for satisfying prurient curiosity.
Essay Topic 3
Henry discovers Papini and is impressed with his writing. Do some research on Papini and explain what it is about him that Miller so admired. Be sure to mention the slight difference in what Papini said about the artist needing to be alone and what Henry says about the same subject.
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)