|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Henry's behavior just before he leaves the blonde woman's room?
2. Why does Henry enjoy the company of the photographer?
3. At the blonde woman's apartment, what feeling does Henry have when she goes to see her sick mother?
4. What happens in the place where Macha is known and has her hand kissed repeatedly?
5. What is the best thing Henry notes about Kruger, the painter and sculptor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Henry stop writing?
2. How does Henry see flow of the word about him?
3. How does Henry feel going to his room in the dark dormitory late at night?
4. What does Henry think about the English girl who stops him in the rain to ask for the time?
5. What is it about Boris that Henry can never quite understand?
6. What is Fillmore's reason for being so considerate of Henry?
7. What is it about Van Norden that puzzles Henry?
8. Describe the nature of the job Henry accepts in Dijon.
9. How does Henry start out to spend his last night in Paris before going to Dijon?
10. Why does Kruger evict Henry from his studio?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Much of TROPIC OF CANCER deals with hunger. Miller makes it clear that hunger eclipses all other human drives. Write an essay on the broader theme of world hunger where people do not have Henry's ability to find food.
Essay Topic 2
A difficult time for Henry was when he was employed and had to, as he put it, kiss the boss's ass. Write a paper on the difficulty of being an employee and having to suppress your personal feelings and ideas because of a dictatorial boss.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper about how the French surrealists influenced Miller's work. Use two or three of the surreal dreams or day dreams in the book to illustrate your point. How do some of those passages sound like an early encounter with the Twilight Zone.
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)