|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Henry plan to spend on the blonde woman?
2. How do Henry and Fillmore become conspicuous in the church?
3. How is Henry greeted by Macha when he first meets her?
4. Why had Henry gone in to see a Rabbi?
5. Who is the spiritual minded person Henry meets through the photographer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Henry think about the English girl who stops him in the rain to ask for the time?
2. What is Fillmore's reason for being so considerate of Henry?
3. Why is Fillmore so late in inviting Henry to move in with him?
4. Describe the idea Henry and Carl get from Van Norden.
5. How does Henry start out to spend his last night in Paris before going to Dijon?
6. What is it about Van Norden that puzzles Henry?
7. Why does Henry think it is a sorry state to be human?
8. How does Henry see flow of the word about him?
9. What is the one thing that makes Van Norden's dump of a hotel acceptable?
10. Does Henry see everything that flows in the same way it was seen by Milton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper on whether you think Henry Miller accomplished what he set out to do with this novel. Refer back to passages in the book where he talks about what literature should be. Is he justified in writing honestly about the way men and women actually view their sexuality?
Essay Topic 2
Pretend you are a newspaper critic and write a summary and critique of THE TROPIC OF CANCER. In your review of the novel, include your recommendation about whether someone should or should not read the book and be specific about your reasons.
Essay Topic 3
Miller correctly identifies many people's obsession with royalty in Chapter 12 when he writes about Macha, the presumed Russian princess. Write a paper expressing your opinion about how you see the status of royalty today. You might want to include a reference to the late Princess Diana of England in your comments.
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)