|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the reader know how angry the priest is?
2. What is the wild story Macha first tells Fillmore?
3. What does Van Norden call everyone?
4. What are the physical ailments of the people in Fillmore's apartment?
5. What does Henry do for a photographer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the story that Collins tells Henry to lift his spirits?
2. Where has Tania been and what does she want from Henry?
3. How do both Fillmore and Henry appear to be gullible?
4. What is the unfortunate condition at the University during the winter?
5. What does Henry think about the English girl who stops him in the rain to ask for the time?
6. Give a brief description of Van Norden.
7. Why does Henry stop writing?
8. Describe the nature of the job Henry accepts in Dijon.
9. Describe Henry's feelings when he has placed himself on a budget.
10. Explain how Henry compares Paris to a whore.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Re-read Chapters 14 and 15 about Henry's stay in Dijon as a visiting professor. Then write an essay about fear. Mention in your essay such things as being in a strange place, being separated from friends and relatives, and feeling helpless to get out of a bad situation.
Essay Topic 2
In the mid 1960's, the U. S. Supreme Court ruled that TROPIC OF CANCER is literature and not pornography. After reading the book, write an essay on why you do or do not think it should have caused such a controversy.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper discussing Henry Miller's attitude toward women. Do you think he is clearly a sexist? Are there moments when he appears to be of two minds about the value of women? Include his thoughts viewing the graffiti on the lavatory walls and the way he looks at Boris' treatment of Elsa.
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)