|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After losing his job, what do Carl and Van Norden keep asking Henry?
2. How does the blond woman react to Henry's offer of fifty francs?
3. How do Henry and Fillmore become conspicuous in the church?
4. How does the English woman react when Henry suggests going to a hotel?
5. Why is Fillmore so taken with Macha?
Essay Topic 1
Using the young Hindu cleric and the escapade in the Eglise Ste.-Clotilde, write a paper expressing how you see Miller's opinion of religion. Do you notice any inconsistency in how Miller treats religion?
Essay Topic 2
In the mid 1960's, the U. S. Supreme Court ruled that TROPIC OF CANCER is literature and not pornography. After reading the book, write an essay on why you do or do not think it should have caused such a controversy.
Essay Topic 3
Pretend you are a newspaper critic and write a summary and critique of THE TROPIC OF CANCER. In your review of the novel, include your recommendation about whether someone should or should not read the book and be specific about your reasons.
This section contains 1,197 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)