|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the story the blonde woman tells Henry through her tears?
2. What is Henry's opinion about the war games that take place at the barracks next to Fillmore's place?
3. How does the reader know how angry the priest is?
4. When Henry is alone with Tania, what does she do?
5. Why is Fillmore so taken with Macha?
Short Essay Questions
1. Give a brief description of Van Norden.
2. When the blonde woman stays away too long and leaves Henry alone in her room, what does he do?
3. How do both Fillmore and Henry appear to be gullible?
4. What does Henry think about the English girl who stops him in the rain to ask for the time?
5. What is it about Van Norden that puzzles Henry?
6. What makes Henry think about the high born women of Paris?
7. Why is it that Henry does not want to go to Russia with Tania?
8. What is the story that Collins tells Henry to lift his spirits?
9. What do Henry's thoughts about the naked trollops represent?
10. How does Henry start out to spend his last night in Paris before going to Dijon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In American lore, the idea of staying somewhere that George Washington once slept has a kind of romantic appeal. In the TROPIC OF CANCER, Van Norden's dumpy hotel is made appealing by the hint that Maupassant once lived there. Henry goes to see the room where Strindberg once stayed. Write an essay about a place you would like to visit because some person you admire once stayed or lived there.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper on whether you think Henry Miller accomplished what he set out to do with this novel. Refer back to passages in the book where he talks about what literature should be. Is he justified in writing honestly about the way men and women actually view their sexuality?
Essay Topic 3
A difficult time for Henry was when he was employed and had to, as he put it, kiss the boss's ass. Write a paper on the difficulty of being an employee and having to suppress your personal feelings and ideas because of a dictatorial boss.
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)