|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Henry and Fillmore do when the priest chases them outside?
2. How do Henry and Fillmore become conspicuous in the church?
3. What is it in Irene's expensive hotel that makes Henry think about Van Norden?
4. What favor does Van Norden want Henry to do for him?
5. What does Van Norden call everyone?
Essay Topic 1
Pretend you are a newspaper critic and write a summary and critique of THE TROPIC OF CANCER. In your review of the novel, include your recommendation about whether someone should or should not read the book and be specific about your reasons.
Essay Topic 2
Henry quotes Emerson as saying that life consists of what one thinks. Write an essay explaining how you interpret Emerson's statement. Use examples you know of personally or have read about where people achieved because of their focus on certain goals.
Essay Topic 3
A difficult time for Henry was when he was employed and had to, as he put it, kiss the boss's ass. Write a paper on the difficulty of being an employee and having to suppress your personal feelings and ideas because of a dictatorial boss.
This section contains 1,162 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)