|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Henry plan to spend on the blonde woman?
2. When Henry is alone with Tania, what does she do?
3. Where do Henry and Tania go that he has never been before?
4. Why does Van Norden not want to go to the Dome?
5. What is Van Norden's objection to French girls?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Henry feel going to his room in the dark dormitory late at night?
2. Describe the scene when Yvette comes in drunk and half naked to Jimmie's bar.
3. What is Fillmore's reason for being so considerate of Henry?
4. How do both Fillmore and Henry appear to be gullible?
5. Why does Kruger evict Henry from his studio?
6. Describe the idea Henry and Carl get from Van Norden.
7. What is the story that Collins tells Henry to lift his spirits?
8. What is it about Boris that Henry can never quite understand?
9. Why does Henry think it is a sorry state to be human?
10. What makes Henry think about the high born women of Paris?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A difficult time for Henry was when he was employed and had to, as he put it, kiss the boss's ass. Write a paper on the difficulty of being an employee and having to suppress your personal feelings and ideas because of a dictatorial boss.
Essay Topic 2
Pretend you are a newspaper critic and write a summary and critique of THE TROPIC OF CANCER. In your review of the novel, include your recommendation about whether someone should or should not read the book and be specific about your reasons.
Essay Topic 3
One of the more amusing antics in the novel is the letter writing campaign to find Carl a rich wife. Write an essay expressing your opinion about marrying for money versus marrying for love. Let your creativity flow, using humor to get your points across.
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)