Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After losing his job, what do Carl and Van Norden keep asking Henry?
2. How does the blond woman react to Henry's offer of fifty francs?
3. How do Henry and Fillmore become conspicuous in the church?
4. How does the English woman react when Henry suggests going to a hotel?
5. Why is Fillmore so taken with Macha?
Write a paper on the power of words and how Miller's use of street language makes his novel so powerful. When reading THE TROPIC OF CANCER, does the vocabulary sometimes make you uncomfortable? Do you think that is exactly the reaction Miller hoped for? Discuss the difference in reading such a novel for its literary merits rather than for satisfying prurient curiosity.
In the mid 1960's, the U. S. Supreme Court ruled that TROPIC OF CANCER is literature and not pornography. After reading the book, write an essay on why you do or do not think it should have caused such a controversy.
One of the more amusing antics in the novel is the letter writing campaign to find Carl a rich wife. Write an essay expressing your opinion about marrying for money versus marrying for love. Let your creativity flow, using humor to get your points across.
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)