|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of work is Henry doing that is not very creative?
2. Why does Henry enjoy the company of the photographer?
3. How do Henry and Fillmore become conspicuous in the church?
4. What does Henry have to tone down on his new job?
5. How does Henry see what he calls the inhuman race of artists?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Henry see everything that flows in the same way it was seen by Milton?
2. How do both Fillmore and Henry appear to be gullible?
3. Describe Henry's feelings when he has placed himself on a budget.
4. What is Fillmore's reason for being so considerate of Henry?
5. Explain how Henry compares Paris to a whore.
6. Where has Tania been and what does she want from Henry?
7. Give a brief description of Van Norden.
8. Describe the scene when Yvette comes in drunk and half naked to Jimmie's bar.
9. Describe the idea Henry and Carl get from Van Norden.
10. What makes Henry think about the high born women of Paris?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Much of TROPIC OF CANCER deals with hunger. Miller makes it clear that hunger eclipses all other human drives. Write an essay on the broader theme of world hunger where people do not have Henry's ability to find food.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper discussing Henry Miller's attitude toward women. Do you think he is clearly a sexist? Are there moments when he appears to be of two minds about the value of women? Include his thoughts viewing the graffiti on the lavatory walls and the way he looks at Boris' treatment of Elsa.
Essay Topic 3
Henry cannot show Mona the Paris he is so enamored of because his love of the city is all bound up in his suffering. Write an essay about the difference in visiting a place as a tourist and really knowing the place from having lived there.
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)