Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After losing his job, what do Carl and Van Norden keep asking Henry?
2. How does the blond woman react to Henry's offer of fifty francs?
3. How do Henry and Fillmore become conspicuous in the church?
4. How does the English woman react when Henry suggests going to a hotel?
5. Why is Fillmore so taken with Macha?
Henry briefly experiences the Bohemian lifestyle. Write a paper about communal living that was popular in America during the 1960s and early 1970s, often called the Hippie generation lifestyle. Discuss whether you think such an arrangement ever really works.
Miller addresses the idea of the artist suffering for his or her art. Do some research and and compare Henry's suffering with some other writers and artists who went through difficult times in order to produce masterpieces. You might want to include such people as Edgar Allen Poe, James Fenimore Cooper, Michelangelo, or Edith Piaf in your essay.
One of the more amusing antics in the novel is the letter writing campaign to find Carl a rich wife. Write an essay expressing your opinion about marrying for money versus marrying for love. Let your creativity flow, using humor to get your points across.
This section contains 346 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)