|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the physical ailments of the people in Fillmore's apartment?
2. What is Henry's assessment of Mark Swift?
3. Where do Henry and Tania go that he has never been before?
4. What does Fillmore leave for Henry every morning after he moves in?
5. After losing his job, what do Carl and Van Norden keep asking Henry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it that Henry does not want to go to Russia with Tania?
2. What makes Henry think about the high born women of Paris?
3. Explain how Henry compares Paris to a whore.
4. Why does Kruger evict Henry from his studio?
5. Why is Fillmore so late in inviting Henry to move in with him?
6. What do Henry's thoughts about the naked trollops represent?
7. Explain how Henry is helped from Kruger's studio.
8. What is Fillmore's reason for being so considerate of Henry?
9. Why does Henry stop writing?
10. Does Henry see everything that flows in the same way it was seen by Milton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In American lore, the idea of staying somewhere that George Washington once slept has a kind of romantic appeal. In the TROPIC OF CANCER, Van Norden's dumpy hotel is made appealing by the hint that Maupassant once lived there. Henry goes to see the room where Strindberg once stayed. Write an essay about a place you would like to visit because some person you admire once stayed or lived there.
Essay Topic 2
Henry quotes Emerson as saying that life consists of what one thinks. Write an essay explaining how you interpret Emerson's statement. Use examples you know of personally or have read about where people achieved because of their focus on certain goals.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper discussing Henry Miller's attitude toward women. Do you think he is clearly a sexist? Are there moments when he appears to be of two minds about the value of women? Include his thoughts viewing the graffiti on the lavatory walls and the way he looks at Boris' treatment of Elsa.
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)