|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Macha do immediately when she sees that two men live at Fillmore's place?
2. Describe the ridiculous method Fillmore has of getting women into his bedroom.
3. What is Henry's assessment of Mark Swift?
4. Why is Henry writing letters to Irene?
5. What does Henry see as the only faults of Swift's mistress and model?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the one thing that makes Van Norden's dump of a hotel acceptable?
2. What is it about Boris that Henry can never quite understand?
3. Why does Henry think it is a sorry state to be human?
4. Why does Henry stop writing?
5. Where has Tania been and what does she want from Henry?
6. How does Henry feel going to his room in the dark dormitory late at night?
7. When the blonde woman stays away too long and leaves Henry alone in her room, what does he do?
8. What makes Henry think about the high born women of Paris?
9. Describe the nature of the job Henry accepts in Dijon.
10. Describe Henry's feelings when he has placed himself on a budget.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper on whether you think Henry Miller accomplished what he set out to do with this novel. Refer back to passages in the book where he talks about what literature should be. Is he justified in writing honestly about the way men and women actually view their sexuality?
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper on the power of words and how Miller's use of street language makes his novel so powerful. When reading THE TROPIC OF CANCER, does the vocabulary sometimes make you uncomfortable? Do you think that is exactly the reaction Miller hoped for? Discuss the difference in reading such a novel for its literary merits rather than for satisfying prurient curiosity.
Essay Topic 3
Do some research on Hinduism and write a paper on how Henry may have only looked at the religion superficially. Contrast the Hinduism practiced by the young Hindu lecturer and Nanantatee with the Hinduism as practiced by Gandhi.
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)