|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At three o'clock in the morning, what is going on in Fillmore's apartment?
2. What does Macha do immediately when she sees that two men live at Fillmore's place?
3. At the blonde woman's apartment, what feeling does Henry have when she goes to see her sick mother?
4. What does Henry realize the moment he gets off the train in Dijon?
5. How much does Henry plan to spend on the blonde woman?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do both Fillmore and Henry appear to be gullible?
2. Why does Henry think it is a sorry state to be human?
3. Describe Henry's feelings when he has placed himself on a budget.
4. Why is it that Henry does not want to go to Russia with Tania?
5. Explain how Henry compares Paris to a whore.
6. Describe the nature of the job Henry accepts in Dijon.
7. What is the unfortunate condition at the University during the winter?
8. Why does Henry stop writing?
9. What is the one thing that makes Van Norden's dump of a hotel acceptable?
10. What is it about Van Norden that puzzles Henry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pretend you are a newspaper critic and write a summary and critique of THE TROPIC OF CANCER. In your review of the novel, include your recommendation about whether someone should or should not read the book and be specific about your reasons.
Essay Topic 2
Miller addresses the idea of the artist suffering for his or her art. Do some research and and compare Henry's suffering with some other writers and artists who went through difficult times in order to produce masterpieces. You might want to include such people as Edgar Allen Poe, James Fenimore Cooper, Michelangelo, or Edith Piaf in your essay.
Essay Topic 3
Do some research on Hinduism and write a paper on how Henry may have only looked at the religion superficially. Contrast the Hinduism practiced by the young Hindu lecturer and Nanantatee with the Hinduism as practiced by Gandhi.
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)