|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the movie playing at the Cine Combat?
2. What is the first thing the Hindu religious wants to do?
3. What is Henry thinking about as he walks along the Champs-Elysee?
4. With what person does Henry compare his writing?
5. How does Henry describe Elsa's piano playing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What lie does Henry tell the Cronstadts when they invite him to join their meal?
2. What had Henry hoped for when he met Serge?
3. Explain how Kelpi makes his living.
4. How does Henry describe Moldorf?
5. How does Henry define health that he equates with optimism?
6. What does Henry say about his escape from Serge?
7. What is Henry's bright idea to get at least one free meal a day?
8. Why does Henry like eating with the Cronstadts the best?
9. How does Henry see the American women at the Cafe de la Paix or the Ritz Bar?
10. How did Nanantatee fool Henry and other people when he was in New York?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper discussing Henry Miller's attitude toward women. Do you think he is clearly a sexist? Are there moments when he appears to be of two minds about the value of women? Include his thoughts viewing the graffiti on the lavatory walls and the way he looks at Boris' treatment of Elsa.
Essay Topic 2
Do some research on Hinduism and write a paper on how Henry may have only looked at the religion superficially. Contrast the Hinduism practiced by the young Hindu lecturer and Nanantatee with the Hinduism as practiced by Gandhi.
Essay Topic 3
Henry discovers Papini and is impressed with his writing. Do some research on Papini and explain what it is about him that Miller so admired. Be sure to mention the slight difference in what Papini said about the artist needing to be alone and what Henry says about the same subject.
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)