|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Henry stay warm on a cold Easter morning?
2. What is the movie playing at the Cine Combat?
3. To torment Carl, what gossip does Marlowe whisper in his ear?
4. How does Henry slightly disagree with Papini?
5. Why can Henry not go to the cinema or into the opium joint?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Nanantatee fool Henry and other people when he was in New York?
2. In relating his experience with the young Hindu, what is Henry expressing about his own beliefs?
3. What are Henry's evenings with Carl like?
4. Why does Henry go so often to the American Express office?
5. Explain how Kelpi makes his living.
6. How does Henry get away from Serge?
7. What is Henry's bright idea to get at least one free meal a day?
8. Why does Henry leave the apartment when Boris sits down to eat?
9. How does Henry see the American women at the Cafe de la Paix or the Ritz Bar?
10. How does Henry use sarcasm in describing Nanantatee's lavish apartment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper about how the French surrealists influenced Miller's work. Use two or three of the surreal dreams or day dreams in the book to illustrate your point. How do some of those passages sound like an early encounter with the Twilight Zone.
Essay Topic 2
Henry cannot show Mona the Paris he is so enamored of because his love of the city is all bound up in his suffering. Write an essay about the difference in visiting a place as a tourist and really knowing the place from having lived there.
Essay Topic 3
In the mid 1960's, the U. S. Supreme Court ruled that TROPIC OF CANCER is literature and not pornography. After reading the book, write an essay on why you do or do not think it should have caused such a controversy.
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)