Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main thing worrying Henry about his writing?
2. Where is Marlowe about to go?
3. What is Nanantatee's stated profession?
4. What does Carl say makes him want to go to Arizona?
5. Why can Henry not go to the cinema or into the opium joint?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Henry go so often to the American Express office?
2. Why does Kruger evict Henry from his studio?
3. How does Henry describe Moldorf?
4. What is it about Boris that Henry can never quite understand?
5. How does Henry define health that he equates with optimism?
6. What do Henry's thoughts about the naked trollops represent?
7. Why does Henry stop writing?
8. What does Henry say about his escape from Serge?
9. Why does Henry like eating with the Cronstadts the best?
10. When the blonde woman stays away too long and leaves Henry alone in her room, what does he do?
Henry discovers Papini and is impressed with his writing. Do some research on Papini and explain what it is about him that Miller so admired. Be sure to mention the slight difference in what Papini said about the artist needing to be alone and what Henry says about the same subject.
Do some research on Hinduism and write a paper on how Henry may have only looked at the religion superficially. Contrast the Hinduism practiced by the young Hindu lecturer and Nanantatee with the Hinduism as practiced by Gandhi.
Miller correctly identifies many people's obsession with royalty in Chapter 12 when he writes about Macha, the presumed Russian princess. Write a paper expressing your opinion about how you see the status of royalty today. You might want to include a reference to the late Princess Diana of England in your comments.
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)