Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main thing worrying Henry about his writing?
2. Where is Marlowe about to go?
3. What is Nanantatee's stated profession?
4. What does Carl say makes him want to go to Arizona?
5. Why can Henry not go to the cinema or into the opium joint?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Henry go so often to the American Express office?
2. Why does Kruger evict Henry from his studio?
3. How does Henry describe Moldorf?
4. What is it about Boris that Henry can never quite understand?
5. How does Henry define health that he equates with optimism?
6. What do Henry's thoughts about the naked trollops represent?
7. Why does Henry stop writing?
8. What does Henry say about his escape from Serge?
9. Why does Henry like eating with the Cronstadts the best?
10. When the blonde woman stays away too long and leaves Henry alone in her room, what does he do?
Essay Topic 1
Henry cannot show Mona the Paris he is so enamored of because his love of the city is all bound up in his suffering. Write an essay about the difference in visiting a place as a tourist and really knowing the place from having lived there.
Essay Topic 2
Do some research on Hinduism and write a paper on how Henry may have only looked at the religion superficially. Contrast the Hinduism practiced by the young Hindu lecturer and Nanantatee with the Hinduism as practiced by Gandhi.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper on the power of words and how Miller's use of street language makes his novel so powerful. When reading THE TROPIC OF CANCER, does the vocabulary sometimes make you uncomfortable? Do you think that is exactly the reaction Miller hoped for? Discuss the difference in reading such a novel for its literary merits rather than for satisfying prurient curiosity.
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)