|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Henry thinking about as he walks along the Champs-Elysee?
2. Where is Marlowe about to go?
3. How does Nanantatee irritate Henry?
4. How does Moldorf view Sylvester?
5. What is Henry's paranoia at Sylvester's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Henry see the American women at the Cafe de la Paix or the Ritz Bar?
2. What had Henry hoped for when he met Serge?
3. In relating his experience with the young Hindu, what is Henry expressing about his own beliefs?
4. How did Nanantatee fool Henry and other people when he was in New York?
5. What does Elsa say bout the Englishman upstairs playing Bach?
6. Why does Henry like eating with the Cronstadts the best?
7. How does Henry describe the relationship between him, Boris, and Elsa?
8. Why is Henry so generous with his praise of the prostitute Germaine?
9. What importance does Henry place on both the past and the future?
10. How does Henry contrast a merry-go-round and the Germans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the mid 1960's, the U. S. Supreme Court ruled that TROPIC OF CANCER is literature and not pornography. After reading the book, write an essay on why you do or do not think it should have caused such a controversy.
Essay Topic 2
Henry quotes Emerson as saying that life consists of what one thinks. Write an essay explaining how you interpret Emerson's statement. Use examples you know of personally or have read about where people achieved because of their focus on certain goals.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper on whether you think Henry Miller accomplished what he set out to do with this novel. Refer back to passages in the book where he talks about what literature should be. Is he justified in writing honestly about the way men and women actually view their sexuality?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)