|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Henry describe the poor people of Paris?
2. What does Henry buy with the money he takes from Peckover?
3. Where is Marlowe about to go?
4. What surrounds Henry on his walk on the Rue de Buci?
5. What is the first thing the Hindu religious wants to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it that Henry does not want to go to Russia with Tania?
2. How does Henry see the cheap whores at the corner of Rue Amelot?
3. Does Henry see everything that flows in the same way it was seen by Milton?
4. Why does Henry think it is a sorry state to be human?
5. Explain how Henry compares Paris to a whore.
6. When the blonde woman stays away too long and leaves Henry alone in her room, what does he do?
7. Describe the scene when Yvette comes in drunk and half naked to Jimmie's bar.
8. Describe Henry's feelings when he has placed himself on a budget.
9. Why is Henry so generous with his praise of the prostitute Germaine?
10. How does Henry start out to spend his last night in Paris before going to Dijon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Henry quotes Emerson as saying that life consists of what one thinks. Write an essay explaining how you interpret Emerson's statement. Use examples you know of personally or have read about where people achieved because of their focus on certain goals.
Essay Topic 2
Henry briefly experiences the Bohemian lifestyle. Write a paper about communal living that was popular in America during the 1960s and early 1970s, often called the Hippie generation lifestyle. Discuss whether you think such an arrangement ever really works.
Essay Topic 3
In American lore, the idea of staying somewhere that George Washington once slept has a kind of romantic appeal. In the TROPIC OF CANCER, Van Norden's dumpy hotel is made appealing by the hint that Maupassant once lived there. Henry goes to see the room where Strindberg once stayed. Write an essay about a place you would like to visit because some person you admire once stayed or lived there.
This section contains 1,436 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)