|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Henry always looking for a free meal?
2. What emotion does Claude arouse in Henry?
3. Having gone all day without anything to eat, what enters Henry's mind?
4. Why is Boris intimidated by his wife?
5. What is ironic about Henry's getting money from Peckover?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Kelpi makes his living.
2. How does Henry define health that he equates with optimism?
3. How does Henry get away from Serge?
4. What are Henry's evenings with Carl like?
5. In an attempt to get money, what is Henry unable to do?
6. What importance does Henry place on both the past and the future?
7. How did Nanantatee fool Henry and other people when he was in New York?
8. Describe Henry's friends in Paris.
9. What does Henry say about his escape from Serge?
10. How does Henry contrast a merry-go-round and the Germans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Much of TROPIC OF CANCER deals with hunger. Miller makes it clear that hunger eclipses all other human drives. Write an essay on the broader theme of world hunger where people do not have Henry's ability to find food.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper discussing Henry Miller's attitude toward women. Do you think he is clearly a sexist? Are there moments when he appears to be of two minds about the value of women? Include his thoughts viewing the graffiti on the lavatory walls and the way he looks at Boris' treatment of Elsa.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper about how the French surrealists influenced Miller's work. Use two or three of the surreal dreams or day dreams in the book to illustrate your point. How do some of those passages sound like an early encounter with the Twilight Zone.
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)