|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are Boris and Henry planning to write THE LAST BOOK?
2. Who helps get Henry out of Nanantatee's apartment much of the time?
3. At the Villa Borghese, what is the Englishman doing upstairs?
4. What is Henry's problem as the novel opens?
5. Why can Henry not go to the cinema or into the opium joint?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Henry see the cheap whores at the corner of Rue Amelot?
2. How does Henry define health that he equates with optimism?
3. How does Henry describe the book on which he is working?
4. In an attempt to get money, what is Henry unable to do?
5. How does Henry contrast a merry-go-round and the Germans?
6. What lie does Henry tell the Cronstadts when they invite him to join their meal?
7. What does Elsa say bout the Englishman upstairs playing Bach?
8. What does Serge promise in lieu of a big Russian meal each day?
9. How does Henry get away from Serge?
10. What is Henry's bright idea to get at least one free meal a day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the more amusing antics in the novel is the letter writing campaign to find Carl a rich wife. Write an essay expressing your opinion about marrying for money versus marrying for love. Let your creativity flow, using humor to get your points across.
Essay Topic 2
Re-read Chapters 14 and 15 about Henry's stay in Dijon as a visiting professor. Then write an essay about fear. Mention in your essay such things as being in a strange place, being separated from friends and relatives, and feeling helpless to get out of a bad situation.
Essay Topic 3
Using the young Hindu cleric and the escapade in the Eglise Ste.-Clotilde, write a paper expressing how you see Miller's opinion of religion. Do you notice any inconsistency in how Miller treats religion?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)