|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry say about Napoleon?
2. In Henry's fantasy about Fanny, what is happening to her?
3. How long has Henry's wife, Mona, been gone from Paris?
4. What is Henry's perception of Mr. Wren, the American artist and writer?
5. What does Henry buy with the money he takes from Peckover?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Henry like eating with the Cronstadts the best?
2. Why does Henry leave the apartment when Boris sits down to eat?
3. How does Henry see the cheap whores at the corner of Rue Amelot?
4. Why does Henry go so often to the American Express office?
5. How does Henry use sarcasm in describing Nanantatee's lavish apartment?
6. What are Henry's evenings with Carl like?
7. Why is Henry so generous with his praise of the prostitute Germaine?
8. What had Henry hoped for when he met Serge?
9. How does Henry contrast a merry-go-round and the Germans?
10. What is the scene at the beginning of the novel and how does it set up the condition Henry is in while in Paris?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper on whether you think Henry Miller accomplished what he set out to do with this novel. Refer back to passages in the book where he talks about what literature should be. Is he justified in writing honestly about the way men and women actually view their sexuality?
Essay Topic 2
Miller correctly identifies many people's obsession with royalty in Chapter 12 when he writes about Macha, the presumed Russian princess. Write a paper expressing your opinion about how you see the status of royalty today. You might want to include a reference to the late Princess Diana of England in your comments.
Essay Topic 3
Much of TROPIC OF CANCER deals with hunger. Miller makes it clear that hunger eclipses all other human drives. Write an essay on the broader theme of world hunger where people do not have Henry's ability to find food.
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)