|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Having gone all day without anything to eat, what enters Henry's mind?
2. How does Henry describe the poor people of Paris?
3. What lucky find does Henry make in the cafe?
4. How does Moldorf view Sylvester?
5. What author does Henry discover that cheers him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Henry describe Moldorf?
2. How does Henry contrast a merry-go-round and the Germans?
3. What importance does Henry place on both the past and the future?
4. How does Henry describe the book on which he is working?
5. What lie does Henry tell the Cronstadts when they invite him to join their meal?
6. What is Henry's bright idea to get at least one free meal a day?
7. Why does Henry like eating with the Cronstadts the best?
8. Explain how Kelpi makes his living.
9. How does Henry get away from Serge?
10. What does Henry know about Walter Pach?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using the young Hindu cleric and the escapade in the Eglise Ste.-Clotilde, write a paper expressing how you see Miller's opinion of religion. Do you notice any inconsistency in how Miller treats religion?
Essay Topic 2
Henry discovers Papini and is impressed with his writing. Do some research on Papini and explain what it is about him that Miller so admired. Be sure to mention the slight difference in what Papini said about the artist needing to be alone and what Henry says about the same subject.
Essay Topic 3
Henry briefly experiences the Bohemian lifestyle. Write a paper about communal living that was popular in America during the 1960s and early 1970s, often called the Hippie generation lifestyle. Discuss whether you think such an arrangement ever really works.
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)