Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main thing worrying Henry about his writing?
2. Where is Marlowe about to go?
3. What is Nanantatee's stated profession?
4. What does Carl say makes him want to go to Arizona?
5. Why can Henry not go to the cinema or into the opium joint?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Henry go so often to the American Express office?
2. Why does Kruger evict Henry from his studio?
3. How does Henry describe Moldorf?
4. What is it about Boris that Henry can never quite understand?
5. How does Henry define health that he equates with optimism?
6. What do Henry's thoughts about the naked trollops represent?
7. Why does Henry stop writing?
8. What does Henry say about his escape from Serge?
9. Why does Henry like eating with the Cronstadts the best?
10. When the blonde woman stays away too long and leaves Henry alone in her room, what does he do?
Much of TROPIC OF CANCER deals with hunger. Miller makes it clear that hunger eclipses all other human drives. Write an essay on the broader theme of world hunger where people do not have Henry's ability to find food.
In American lore, the idea of staying somewhere that George Washington once slept has a kind of romantic appeal. In the TROPIC OF CANCER, Van Norden's dumpy hotel is made appealing by the hint that Maupassant once lived there. Henry goes to see the room where Strindberg once stayed. Write an essay about a place you would like to visit because some person you admire once stayed or lived there.
Henry cannot show Mona the Paris he is so enamored of because his love of the city is all bound up in his suffering. Write an essay about the difference in visiting a place as a tourist and really knowing the place from having lived there.
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)