Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main thing worrying Henry about his writing?
2. Where is Marlowe about to go?
3. What is Nanantatee's stated profession?
4. What does Carl say makes him want to go to Arizona?
5. Why can Henry not go to the cinema or into the opium joint?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Henry go so often to the American Express office?
2. Why does Kruger evict Henry from his studio?
3. How does Henry describe Moldorf?
4. What is it about Boris that Henry can never quite understand?
5. How does Henry define health that he equates with optimism?
6. What do Henry's thoughts about the naked trollops represent?
7. Why does Henry stop writing?
8. What does Henry say about his escape from Serge?
9. Why does Henry like eating with the Cronstadts the best?
10. When the blonde woman stays away too long and leaves Henry alone in her room, what does he do?
Essay Topic 1
Hustling and conning people are important themes of the novel. Using examples from the novel, discuss how it is human nature to be deceitful to get what you want or simply to survive. Discuss any personal experience you have had similar to the events Henry writes about.
Essay Topic 2
Miller addresses the idea of the artist suffering for his or her art. Do some research and and compare Henry's suffering with some other writers and artists who went through difficult times in order to produce masterpieces. You might want to include such people as Edgar Allen Poe, James Fenimore Cooper, Michelangelo, or Edith Piaf in your essay.
Essay Topic 3
Henry briefly experiences the Bohemian lifestyle. Write a paper about communal living that was popular in America during the 1960s and early 1970s, often called the Hippie generation lifestyle. Discuss whether you think such an arrangement ever really works.
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)