|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Serge offer Henry in exchange for his services?
2. In Henry's fantasy about Fanny, what is happening to her?
3. What author does Henry discover that cheers him?
4. Having gone all day without anything to eat, what enters Henry's mind?
5. Who asks Sylvester if he can stay with him until he goes to bed?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Henry contrast a merry-go-round and the Germans?
2. How did Nanantatee fool Henry and other people when he was in New York?
3. How does Henry describe Moldorf?
4. What is it about Van Norden that puzzles Henry?
5. What does Henry say about his escape from Serge?
6. What had Henry hoped for when he met Serge?
7. Give a brief description of Van Norden.
8. How does Henry get away from Serge?
9. Describe Henry's feelings when he has placed himself on a budget.
10. Why does Henry think it is a sorry state to be human?
Essay Topic 1
Henry discovers Papini and is impressed with his writing. Do some research on Papini and explain what it is about him that Miller so admired. Be sure to mention the slight difference in what Papini said about the artist needing to be alone and what Henry says about the same subject.
Essay Topic 2
Much of TROPIC OF CANCER deals with hunger. Miller makes it clear that hunger eclipses all other human drives. Write an essay on the broader theme of world hunger where people do not have Henry's ability to find food.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper about how the French surrealists influenced Miller's work. Use two or three of the surreal dreams or day dreams in the book to illustrate your point. How do some of those passages sound like an early encounter with the Twilight Zone.
This section contains 1,430 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)