|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marlowe want Henry and Carl to do during his absence?
2. Where is Marlowe about to go?
3. What does Nanantatee's friend, Kelpi, do when Nanantatee is not at home?
4. What makes Henry feel ill when he opens the door of the commune?
5. What is the title that Henry wishes he had thought of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Henry's bright idea to get at least one free meal a day?
2. What is the scene at the beginning of the novel and how does it set up the condition Henry is in while in Paris?
3. Why does Henry leave the apartment when Boris sits down to eat?
4. How does Henry get away from Serge?
5. What had Henry hoped for when he met Serge?
6. What importance does Henry place on both the past and the future?
7. How does Henry describe Moldorf?
8. What does Elsa say bout the Englishman upstairs playing Bach?
9. How does Henry see the cheap whores at the corner of Rue Amelot?
10. What lie does Henry tell the Cronstadts when they invite him to join their meal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper on whether you think Henry Miller accomplished what he set out to do with this novel. Refer back to passages in the book where he talks about what literature should be. Is he justified in writing honestly about the way men and women actually view their sexuality?
Essay Topic 2
Miller correctly identifies many people's obsession with royalty in Chapter 12 when he writes about Macha, the presumed Russian princess. Write a paper expressing your opinion about how you see the status of royalty today. You might want to include a reference to the late Princess Diana of England in your comments.
Essay Topic 3
Much of TROPIC OF CANCER deals with hunger. Miller makes it clear that hunger eclipses all other human drives. Write an essay on the broader theme of world hunger where people do not have Henry's ability to find food.
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)