|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To torment Carl, what gossip does Marlowe whisper in his ear?
2. Why does Henry say that no one ever dies in Paris?
3. What is Nanantatee's stated profession?
4. In spite of his hunger, where does Henry hang out in the evenings?
5. How does Henry describe Elsa's piano playing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Henry's evenings with Carl like?
2. Why does Henry leave the apartment when Boris sits down to eat?
3. What lie does Henry tell the Cronstadts when they invite him to join their meal?
4. What does Henry say about his escape from Serge?
5. What does Serge promise in lieu of a big Russian meal each day?
6. How did Nanantatee fool Henry and other people when he was in New York?
7. Why does Henry go so often to the American Express office?
8. How does Henry define health that he equates with optimism?
9. How does Henry see the American women at the Cafe de la Paix or the Ritz Bar?
10. How does Henry describe the book on which he is working?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pretend you are a newspaper critic and write a summary and critique of THE TROPIC OF CANCER. In your review of the novel, include your recommendation about whether someone should or should not read the book and be specific about your reasons.
Essay Topic 2
Much of TROPIC OF CANCER deals with hunger. Miller makes it clear that hunger eclipses all other human drives. Write an essay on the broader theme of world hunger where people do not have Henry's ability to find food.
Essay Topic 3
Using the young Hindu cleric and the escapade in the Eglise Ste.-Clotilde, write a paper expressing how you see Miller's opinion of religion. Do you notice any inconsistency in how Miller treats religion?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)