|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What price is extracted from Henry for his meals at the Cronstadts?
2. Where has Henry taken the young Hindu for his sexual experience?
3. What does Carl say makes him want to go to Arizona?
4. Why is Boris intimidated by his wife?
5. Why is Serge happy to meet Henry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Serge promise in lieu of a big Russian meal each day?
2. What is Henry's bright idea to get at least one free meal a day?
3. How does Henry use sarcasm in describing Nanantatee's lavish apartment?
4. How does Henry see the cheap whores at the corner of Rue Amelot?
5. How does Henry see the American women at the Cafe de la Paix or the Ritz Bar?
6. In an attempt to get money, what is Henry unable to do?
7. In relating his experience with the young Hindu, what is Henry expressing about his own beliefs?
8. What is the scene at the beginning of the novel and how does it set up the condition Henry is in while in Paris?
9. Describe Henry's friends in Paris.
10. How does Henry describe the relationship between him, Boris, and Elsa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Miller addresses the idea of the artist suffering for his or her art. Do some research and and compare Henry's suffering with some other writers and artists who went through difficult times in order to produce masterpieces. You might want to include such people as Edgar Allen Poe, James Fenimore Cooper, Michelangelo, or Edith Piaf in your essay.
Essay Topic 2
Much of TROPIC OF CANCER deals with hunger. Miller makes it clear that hunger eclipses all other human drives. Write an essay on the broader theme of world hunger where people do not have Henry's ability to find food.
Essay Topic 3
In the mid 1960's, the U. S. Supreme Court ruled that TROPIC OF CANCER is literature and not pornography. After reading the book, write an essay on why you do or do not think it should have caused such a controversy.
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)