|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What lucky find does Henry make in the cafe?
2. To torment Carl, what gossip does Marlowe whisper in his ear?
3. In Henry's fantasy about Fanny, what is happening to her?
4. What is Nanantatee's stated profession?
5. What emotion does Claude arouse in Henry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Henry like eating with the Cronstadts the best?
2. How does Henry describe the book on which he is working?
3. How does Henry use sarcasm in describing Nanantatee's lavish apartment?
4. What are Henry's evenings with Carl like?
5. How does Henry see the cheap whores at the corner of Rue Amelot?
6. Why does Henry go so often to the American Express office?
7. How does Henry get away from Serge?
8. In relating his experience with the young Hindu, what is Henry expressing about his own beliefs?
9. How did Nanantatee fool Henry and other people when he was in New York?
10. How does Henry contrast a merry-go-round and the Germans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper on whether you think Henry Miller accomplished what he set out to do with this novel. Refer back to passages in the book where he talks about what literature should be. Is he justified in writing honestly about the way men and women actually view their sexuality?
Essay Topic 2
A difficult time for Henry was when he was employed and had to, as he put it, kiss the boss's ass. Write a paper on the difficulty of being an employee and having to suppress your personal feelings and ideas because of a dictatorial boss.
Essay Topic 3
Henry quotes Emerson as saying that life consists of what one thinks. Write an essay explaining how you interpret Emerson's statement. Use examples you know of personally or have read about where people achieved because of their focus on certain goals.
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)