|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way does Henry say Carl and Boris are sufferers?
2. How does Moldorf view Sylvester?
3. What does the young Hindu do that upsets the madame?
4. How does Henry describe Elsa's piano playing?
5. What is Henry's description of Marlowe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Henry know about Walter Pach?
2. What does Serge promise in lieu of a big Russian meal each day?
3. How does Henry describe the book on which he is working?
4. Why does Henry leave the apartment when Boris sits down to eat?
5. How does Henry describe the relationship between him, Boris, and Elsa?
6. Describe Henry's friends in Paris.
7. What importance does Henry place on both the past and the future?
8. Why does Henry go so often to the American Express office?
9. How does Henry contrast a merry-go-round and the Germans?
10. How does Henry get away from Serge?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hustling and conning people are important themes of the novel. Using examples from the novel, discuss how it is human nature to be deceitful to get what you want or simply to survive. Discuss any personal experience you have had similar to the events Henry writes about.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper about how the French surrealists influenced Miller's work. Use two or three of the surreal dreams or day dreams in the book to illustrate your point. How do some of those passages sound like an early encounter with the Twilight Zone.
Essay Topic 3
A difficult time for Henry was when he was employed and had to, as he put it, kiss the boss's ass. Write a paper on the difficulty of being an employee and having to suppress your personal feelings and ideas because of a dictatorial boss.
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)