|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Serge happy to meet Henry?
2. What is Henry's paranoia at Sylvester's house?
3. What is the movie playing at the Cine Combat?
4. With what person does Henry compare his writing?
5. What does Marlowe want Henry and Carl to do during his absence?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Henry see the American women at the Cafe de la Paix or the Ritz Bar?
2. Describe Henry's friends in Paris.
3. What does Henry say about his escape from Serge?
4. How does Henry describe the relationship between him, Boris, and Elsa?
5. How did Nanantatee fool Henry and other people when he was in New York?
6. What importance does Henry place on both the past and the future?
7. How does Henry describe Moldorf?
8. What does Serge promise in lieu of a big Russian meal each day?
9. What are Henry's evenings with Carl like?
10. In an attempt to get money, what is Henry unable to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the mid 1960's, the U. S. Supreme Court ruled that TROPIC OF CANCER is literature and not pornography. After reading the book, write an essay on why you do or do not think it should have caused such a controversy.
Essay Topic 2
Miller correctly identifies many people's obsession with royalty in Chapter 12 when he writes about Macha, the presumed Russian princess. Write a paper expressing your opinion about how you see the status of royalty today. You might want to include a reference to the late Princess Diana of England in your comments.
Essay Topic 3
Do some research on Hinduism and write a paper on how Henry may have only looked at the religion superficially. Contrast the Hinduism practiced by the young Hindu lecturer and Nanantatee with the Hinduism as practiced by Gandhi.
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)