|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Henry realize the moment he gets off the train in Dijon?
(a) That he had made a big mistake.
(b) That Dijon is exactly like Paris.
(c) That Dijon will be peaceful and good for him.
(d) That he is excited to have a job.
2. What does Henry have to learn to do in his new job?
(a) Make coffee
(b) Kiss the boss' ass
(c) Write obituaries
(d) Operate a printing press
3. What does Henry say he knows about in the same way he knows about slaughterhouses and morgues?
(a) How to form lasting friendships
(b) The Catholic mass
4. Who do Kruger and Swift recommend as a good friend for Henry?
(a) Peckover, a proofreader
(b) Fillmore, an American attache
(c) Ivan, a Russian furrier
(d) Ives, a French surrealist painter
5. What does Fillmore leave for Henry every morning after he moves in?
(a) A book to read
(b) Blank paper and a filled pen
(c) A ten franc note
(d) Breakfast in bedFrech coffee and croissants
Short Answer Questions
1. What is his idea about his book?
2. What is it in Irene's expensive hotel that makes Henry think about Van Norden?
3. How does Henry see what he calls the inhuman race of artists?
4. What does Henry think will happen to the world if someone really writes his true thoughts and experiences?
5. What happens to Henry under the pressure of his job?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Henry feel going to his room in the dark dormitory late at night?
2. What do Henry's thoughts about the naked trollops represent?
3. Explain how Henry compares Paris to a whore.
4. When the blonde woman stays away too long and leaves Henry alone in her room, what does he do?
5. What is it about Boris that Henry can never quite understand?
6. Why is Fillmore so late in inviting Henry to move in with him?
7. Describe the scene when Yvette comes in drunk and half naked to Jimmie's bar.
8. What is the unfortunate condition at the University during the winter?
9. What is Fillmore's reason for being so considerate of Henry?
10. Why does Kruger evict Henry from his studio?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)