|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Henry greeted by Macha when he first meets her?
(a) She says, "So you're the writer."
(b) She looks at him imperiously and asks if he's the butler.
(c) She comes to the door wearing only a filmy negligee.
(d) She refuses to recognize his presence.
2. How do Fillmore and Henry deal with the cold flat?
(a) They sip hot toddies.
(b) They leave and go visit Carl.
(c) They sleep in the same bed.
(d) The burn the furniture.
3. What is it in Irene's expensive hotel that makes Henry think about Van Norden?
(a) The revolving door
(b) A young virgin coming in as he is going out
(c) All the rich Englishwomen there
(d) Seeing a prostitute he had once pointed out ot Henry
4. Who is the spiritual minded person Henry meets through the photographer?
(a) Anise Nin
(d) The Dalai Lama
5. What is Henry's curious speculation about Mona?
(a) He wonders if they will ever be together again.
(b) He wonders if she has gotten fat.
(c) He wonders if she ever thinks about him.
(d) He wonders why she does not send him more money.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Henry enjoy the company of the photographer?
2. What historical information does the photographer give to Henry?
3. What does Henry suggest is the task of the artist?
4. When Henry is alone with Tania, what does she do?
5. What is the story the blonde woman tells Henry through her tears?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do both Fillmore and Henry appear to be gullible?
2. Where has Tania been and what does she want from Henry?
3. Why does Henry think it is a sorry state to be human?
4. Does Henry see everything that flows in the same way it was seen by Milton?
5. Describe the nature of the job Henry accepts in Dijon.
6. Describe the scene when Yvette comes in drunk and half naked to Jimmie's bar.
7. What is it about Boris that Henry can never quite understand?
8. What does Henry think about the English girl who stops him in the rain to ask for the time?
9. When the blonde woman stays away too long and leaves Henry alone in her room, what does he do?
10. Explain how Henry is helped from Kruger's studio.
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)