|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Henry have to learn to do in his new job?
(a) Operate a printing press
(b) Kiss the boss' ass
(c) Write obituaries
(d) Make coffee
2. Who gives Henry the money he has upon returning from Le Havre?
3. What does Henry say Van Norden tracks down like a sleuth?
(a) Rich women
(c) Married women
(d) Cheap prostitutes
4. Why had Henry gone in to see a Rabbi?
(a) He thought Jews would be more generous than Christians.
(b) He thought the synagogue was a school.
(c) He wanted instruction to become a Jew.
(d) He was looking for a Jewish friend.
5. Why does Van Norden not want to go to the Dome?
(a) He does not like the decor.
(b) He owes too much money there.
(c) He was there only last night.
(d) He is tired of going to the Dome.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of work is Henry doing that is not very creative?
2. Why does Van Norden insist that his teeth are all rotten?
3. Who urges Henry to run away to Russia with Tania?
4. How do Henry and Fillmore become conspicuous in the church?
5. At the blonde woman's apartment, what feeling does Henry have when she goes to see her sick mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Kruger evict Henry from his studio?
2. Give a brief description of Van Norden.
3. Where has Tania been and what does she want from Henry?
4. What is the story that Collins tells Henry to lift his spirits?
5. What is it about Van Norden that puzzles Henry?
6. What is it about Boris that Henry can never quite understand?
7. Why does Henry stop writing?
8. Why is Fillmore so late in inviting Henry to move in with him?
9. How do both Fillmore and Henry appear to be gullible?
10. How does Henry start out to spend his last night in Paris before going to Dijon?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)