|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the blonde woman's apartment, what feeling does Henry have when she goes to see her sick mother?
(a) He decides to leave and never come back.
(b) He fears that some kind of scam is being pulled on him.
(c) He feels that he is in some kind of drama that will be in the morning papers.
(d) He thinks the woman is holding out for more money.
2. What is it in Irene's expensive hotel that makes Henry think about Van Norden?
(a) Seeing a prostitute he had once pointed out ot Henry
(b) A young virgin coming in as he is going out
(c) All the rich Englishwomen there
(d) The revolving door
3. After losing his job, what do Carl and Van Norden keep asking Henry?
(a) Why don't you go back to America?
(b) What will you do it your wife returns to Paris?
(c) Who will take you in since you've been through all your friends?
(d) Where are you going to find another job?
4. What is Henry's assessment of Mark Swift?
(a) If not a genius, he is certainly eccentric.
(b) He is talentless but determined.
(c) He keeps Henry in money for posing nude for him.
(d) He is madly in love with his artist wife.
5. What are the physical ailments of the people in Fillmore's apartment?
(a) Macha falls and breaks her arm, Fillmore cartches cold, and Henry has the measles.
(b) Macha give the clap to both Fillmore and Henry.
(c) Fillmore has bronchitis, Macha has the clap, and Henry has piles.
(d) They all come down with influenza.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry have to learn to do in his new job?
2. At three o'clock in the morning, what is going on in Fillmore's apartment?
3. How does the blond woman react to Henry's offer of fifty francs?
4. What does Henry see as the only faults of Swift's mistress and model?
5. What does Henry do for a photographer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the nature of the job Henry accepts in Dijon.
2. Give a brief description of Van Norden.
3. Where has Tania been and what does she want from Henry?
4. What is it about Boris that Henry can never quite understand?
5. Why does Henry stop writing?
6. What is the story that Collins tells Henry to lift his spirits?
7. What is Fillmore's reason for being so considerate of Henry?
8. What is the unfortunate condition at the University during the winter?
9. What do Henry's thoughts about the naked trollops represent?
10. Describe the scene when Yvette comes in drunk and half naked to Jimmie's bar.
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)