|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Van Norden insist that his teeth are all rotten?
(a) Because of the water in Paris
(b) Because his dentist is incompetent
(c) Because of the bread in France
(d) Because he lost his toothbrush
2. What are they looking for in the church when the priest stops them?
(a) The candles
(b) The collection box
(c) The statue of the Virgin
(d) The exit
3. What is his idea about his book?
(a) To give it up because his ideas are too radical
(b) To present a resurrection of emotions
(c) To write only what the public wants to read
(d) To imitate the best sellers of his day
4. When Henry is alone with Tania, what does she do?
(a) She lets Henry see her without makeup.
(b) She chews his ear off about Russia.
(c) She agrees to sleep with him.
(d) She talks about divorcing Sylvester and marrying Carl.
5. What does Henry want to see in the Pension Orfila?
(a) The bust of Homer
(b) The fabled murals by Picasso
(c) The lavatories with the gold fixtures
(d) The room where Strindberg once lived
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Henry think is the one lone literary figure America has produced?
2. Why could Henry never show Mona the Paris he loves?
3. How is Henry greeted by Macha when he first meets her?
4. Why does Henry return to hustling meals and lodging?
5. Where do Henry and Fillmore stumble in to get out of the cold?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Henry see flow of the word about him?
2. How does Henry feel going to his room in the dark dormitory late at night?
3. Describe the idea Henry and Carl get from Van Norden.
4. What is the story that Collins tells Henry to lift his spirits?
5. What is the unfortunate condition at the University during the winter?
6. What does Henry think about the English girl who stops him in the rain to ask for the time?
7. Why does Henry think it is a sorry state to be human?
8. Does Henry see everything that flows in the same way it was seen by Milton?
9. Where has Tania been and what does she want from Henry?
10. Why is it that Henry does not want to go to Russia with Tania?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)