|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens in the place where Macha is known and has her hand kissed repeatedly?
(a) Macha goes to make a phone call and never returns.
(b) Macha confesses that she is not a real princess.
(c) Macha refuses to leave with Fillmore.
(d) Macha gets drunk and agrees to go to bed with Fillmore.
2. What does Macha do immediately when she sees that two men live at Fillmore's place?
(a) She begins to try and play them against each other.
(b) She sizes up which one has the money.
(c) She gets frightened and leaves.
(d) She informs them that she is not that kind of woman.
3. Who gives Henry the money he has upon returning from Le Havre?
4. Why does Henry return to hustling meals and lodging?
(a) He doesn't make enough money on his job.
(b) Nanantatee kicks him out.
(c) He is trying to save his own money.
(d) He gets fired from his job.
5. What is the wild story Macha first tells Fillmore?
(a) That the studio was refusing to release her film.
(b) That her lover had left her for another actress.
(c) That she had thrown herself in the Seine after her film career stalled.
(d) That her family in Russia were in danger of being shot.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why had Henry always tolerated Boris?
2. What do Henry and Fillmore do when the priest chases them outside?
3. What happens to Henry under the pressure of his job?
4. What does Van Norden use to bribe Henry into helping him?
5. Who urges Henry to run away to Russia with Tania?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Henry is helped from Kruger's studio.
2. Describe the idea Henry and Carl get from Van Norden.
3. What is it about Van Norden that puzzles Henry?
4. Why is Fillmore so late in inviting Henry to move in with him?
5. How does Henry see flow of the word about him?
6. Describe the nature of the job Henry accepts in Dijon.
7. Describe Henry's feelings when he has placed himself on a budget.
8. Why does Henry stop writing?
9. How do both Fillmore and Henry appear to be gullible?
10. Where has Tania been and what does she want from Henry?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)