|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What city in America does Henry recall on the way to Dijon?
(a) Austin, Texas
(b) Jacksonville, Florida
(c) Salt Lake city, Utah
(d) Los angeles, California
2. Why does Van Norden insist that his teeth are all rotten?
(a) Because he lost his toothbrush
(b) Because his dentist is incompetent
(c) Because of the water in Paris
(d) Because of the bread in France
3. What is it in Irene's expensive hotel that makes Henry think about Van Norden?
(a) All the rich Englishwomen there
(b) A young virgin coming in as he is going out
(c) Seeing a prostitute he had once pointed out ot Henry
(d) The revolving door
4. What is Henry's behavior just before he leaves the blonde woman's room?
(a) He listens for her return and takes back the money he gave her.
(b) He takes his time putting his clothes back on.
(c) He gets very angry that she left him there alone.
(d) He becomes panicky thinking she has gone for the police.
5. What does Henry do after Fillmore leaves for work in the mornings?
(a) He goes for a stroll
(b) He goes back to sleep, sometimes not getting up before noon.
(c) He puts out pages of an old book he wrote years ago
(d) He sits at the table and stares at a blank page.
Short Answer Questions
1. At three o'clock in the morning, what is going on in Fillmore's apartment?
2. What happens in the place where Macha is known and has her hand kissed repeatedly?
3. When Henry is alone with Tania, what does she do?
4. How long does it take before Irene agrees to meet Carl in her hotel?
5. How does Henry see what he calls the inhuman race of artists?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Henry see everything that flows in the same way it was seen by Milton?
2. Describe Henry's feelings when he has placed himself on a budget.
3. Why does Henry stop writing?
4. Describe the idea Henry and Carl get from Van Norden.
5. Explain how Henry is helped from Kruger's studio.
6. Describe the nature of the job Henry accepts in Dijon.
7. Why does Henry think it is a sorry state to be human?
8. What is the story that Collins tells Henry to lift his spirits?
9. What do Henry's thoughts about the naked trollops represent?
10. Describe the scene when Yvette comes in drunk and half naked to Jimmie's bar.
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)