|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does it take before Irene agrees to meet Carl in her hotel?
(a) Over a year
(b) The end of the year
(c) About six months
(d) Only a few weeks
2. What happens to Henry under the pressure of his job?
(a) He becomes neurotic.
(b) He gets indigestion when he eats.
(c) He forgets about sex.
(d) He breaks out in hives.
3. What happens in the place where Macha is known and has her hand kissed repeatedly?
(a) Macha gets drunk and agrees to go to bed with Fillmore.
(b) Macha refuses to leave with Fillmore.
(c) Macha goes to make a phone call and never returns.
(d) Macha confesses that she is not a real princess.
4. What is it in Irene's expensive hotel that makes Henry think about Van Norden?
(a) All the rich Englishwomen there
(b) A young virgin coming in as he is going out
(c) The revolving door
(d) Seeing a prostitute he had once pointed out ot Henry
5. What does Henry have to tone down on his new job?
(a) His vocabulary
(b) His looking for free meals
(c) His style of dressing
(d) His singing
Short Answer Questions
1. At the blonde woman's apartment, what feeling does Henry have when she goes to see her sick mother?
2. Why does Van Norden not want to go to the Dome?
3. Why could Henry never show Mona the Paris he loves?
4. What does Henry want to see in the Pension Orfila?
5. Why does Henry return to hustling meals and lodging?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Henry think about the high born women of Paris?
2. How does Henry see flow of the word about him?
3. What does Henry think about the English girl who stops him in the rain to ask for the time?
4. How does Henry feel going to his room in the dark dormitory late at night?
5. What is the one thing that makes Van Norden's dump of a hotel acceptable?
6. Give a brief description of Van Norden.
7. Why is Fillmore so late in inviting Henry to move in with him?
8. Describe the nature of the job Henry accepts in Dijon.
9. Why does Kruger evict Henry from his studio?
10. Why is it that Henry does not want to go to Russia with Tania?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)