|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Macha do immediately when she sees that two men live at Fillmore's place?
(a) She informs them that she is not that kind of woman.
(b) She begins to try and play them against each other.
(c) She sizes up which one has the money.
(d) She gets frightened and leaves.
2. What is the best thing Henry notes about Kruger, the painter and sculptor?
(a) He is a splendid housekeeper.
(b) He is also a great chef.
(c) He has many contacts in the publishing world.
(d) He is unbelievably wealthy.
3. What historical information does the photographer give to Henry?
(a) The unwritten details of Marie Antoinette's beheading
(b) The history of the Jews during the Black Death
(c) Personal information about great writers he has photographed
(d) The part France played in Columbus's expeditions
4. What does Henry see as the only faults of Swift's mistress and model?
(a) She demands too much of Mark.
(b) She is a bad cook.
(c) She has a great body but a hideously ugly face.
(d) She has lost her shape and her ability to support Mark anymore.
5. At the blonde woman's apartment, what feeling does Henry have when she goes to see her sick mother?
(a) He decides to leave and never come back.
(b) He feels that he is in some kind of drama that will be in the morning papers.
(c) He fears that some kind of scam is being pulled on him.
(d) He thinks the woman is holding out for more money.
Short Answer Questions
1. After losing his job, what do Carl and Van Norden keep asking Henry?
2. Who urges Henry to run away to Russia with Tania?
3. Who is the spiritual minded person Henry meets through the photographer?
4. What does Mona never understand about Henry?
5. What does the priest do with them?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Henry start out to spend his last night in Paris before going to Dijon?
2. How does Henry feel going to his room in the dark dormitory late at night?
3. Does Henry see everything that flows in the same way it was seen by Milton?
4. What do Henry's thoughts about the naked trollops represent?
5. What is the one thing that makes Van Norden's dump of a hotel acceptable?
6. What is Fillmore's reason for being so considerate of Henry?
7. Why is it that Henry does not want to go to Russia with Tania?
8. Explain how Henry compares Paris to a whore.
9. What does Henry think about the English girl who stops him in the rain to ask for the time?
10. Describe the scene when Yvette comes in drunk and half naked to Jimmie's bar.
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)