|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Henry writing letters to Irene?
(a) She answers her letter with money enclosed.
(b) She is a great literary agent.
(c) She is the rich woman they are trying to secure for Carl.
(d) She has a room for rent in her house.
2. How do Fillmore and Henry deal with the cold flat?
(a) They leave and go visit Carl.
(b) The burn the furniture.
(c) They sip hot toddies.
(d) They sleep in the same bed.
3. Why does Henry enjoy the company of the photographer?
(a) Because he enjoys posing for him
(b) Because he always has money
(c) Because he is less intelligent than Henry
(d) Because of his thorough knowledge of Paris
4. One place has a good room but why does he not take it?
(a) He suspects it has bedbugs and fleas, although he never saw them.
(b) It is too far away from the places he likes to walk in the evenings.
(c) It is too near Sylvester's apartment and he wants to be far away.
(d) To get to his room he would have to pass through a blind man's room.
5. What do Henry and Fillmore do when the priest chases them outside?
(a) They run as fast as their legs can carry them.
(b) They hop on a passing bus.
(c) They throw snowballs at the priest.
(d) They hide in a dark alley.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Henry and Fillmore stumble in to get out of the cold?
2. What does Macha do immediately when she sees that two men live at Fillmore's place?
3. How does Henry make a little extra money while he is at Fillmore's place?
4. What are they looking for in the church when the priest stops them?
5. What is Van Norden's objection to French girls?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Henry see flow of the word about him?
2. Explain how Henry is helped from Kruger's studio.
3. How does Henry feel going to his room in the dark dormitory late at night?
4. Where has Tania been and what does she want from Henry?
5. Why is Fillmore so late in inviting Henry to move in with him?
6. What is it about Boris that Henry can never quite understand?
7. What does Henry think about the English girl who stops him in the rain to ask for the time?
8. What is the one thing that makes Van Norden's dump of a hotel acceptable?
9. What is the story that Collins tells Henry to lift his spirits?
10. Why is it that Henry does not want to go to Russia with Tania?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)