|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of work is Henry doing that is not very creative?
(a) Writing jingles
(b) Book binding
(d) Making ad layouts
2. How is Henry surprised by the blonde woman's action in bed?
(a) He cannot believe how accomplished she is.
(b) He is startled when she reaches up and turns out the lights.
(c) He fears that she is going to substitute her mother in the bed.
(d) He is amazed that she refuses to remove her kimono.
3. Why does Van Norden not want to go to the Dome?
(a) He is tired of going to the Dome.
(b) He owes too much money there.
(c) He does not like the decor.
(d) He was there only last night.
4. How much does Henry plan to spend on the blonde woman?
(a) He plans to spend over a hundred francs.
(b) He plans to spend only fifty francs.
(c) He plans to get her to bed him for free.
(d) He plans to offer to let her move in with him.
5. What is Van Norden's objection to French girls?
(a) They wear too much perfume.
(b) Either they want money or to get married.
(c) They charge too much for their services.
(d) They act as though they are doing him a favor.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Henry greeted by Macha when he first meets her?
2. Why had Henry always tolerated Boris?
3. What is Henry's view of his world?
4. Describe the ridiculous method Fillmore has of getting women into his bedroom.
5. What is Henry's assessment of Mark Swift?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Henry compares Paris to a whore.
2. Why is Fillmore so late in inviting Henry to move in with him?
3. Why does Henry think it is a sorry state to be human?
4. Give a brief description of Van Norden.
5. When the blonde woman stays away too long and leaves Henry alone in her room, what does he do?
6. Describe the nature of the job Henry accepts in Dijon.
7. How does Henry feel going to his room in the dark dormitory late at night?
8. Why does Henry stop writing?
9. Describe Henry's feelings when he has placed himself on a budget.
10. Describe the idea Henry and Carl get from Van Norden.
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)