|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Henry think will happen to the world if someone really writes his true thoughts and experiences?
(a) The world will destruct.
(b) The world will only sigh and go to sleep.
(c) The world will g on turning.
(d) The world will reawaken.
2. What does Henry say he knows about in the same way he knows about slaughterhouses and morgues?
(a) The Catholic mass
(d) How to form lasting friendships
3. What is Henry's behavior just before he leaves the blonde woman's room?
(a) He becomes panicky thinking she has gone for the police.
(b) He takes his time putting his clothes back on.
(c) He listens for her return and takes back the money he gave her.
(d) He gets very angry that she left him there alone.
4. What does Mona never understand about Henry?
(a) His need to write
(b) His gutter vocabulary
(c) His philandering ways
(d) His attraction for Paris
5. What does Henry suggest is the task of the artist?
(a) To create something of his own out of the chaos around him
(b) To make bloated pages and erase petty intrusions
(c) To present only the beauty of the world
(d) To give the public what it wants
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Henry and Fillmore do when the priest chases them outside?
2. Describe the ridiculous method Fillmore has of getting women into his bedroom.
3. What does Van Norden use to bribe Henry into helping him?
4. Why could Henry never show Mona the Paris he loves?
5. What weakness appears in Henry as he plans how to use the money given to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Henry's feelings when he has placed himself on a budget.
2. Why does Henry stop writing?
3. What is Fillmore's reason for being so considerate of Henry?
4. Why is it that Henry does not want to go to Russia with Tania?
5. How does Henry start out to spend his last night in Paris before going to Dijon?
6. Where has Tania been and what does she want from Henry?
7. Why is Fillmore so late in inviting Henry to move in with him?
8. What does Henry think about the English girl who stops him in the rain to ask for the time?
9. What is the story that Collins tells Henry to lift his spirits?
10. Explain how Henry is helped from Kruger's studio.
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)