|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Henry going to Dijon?
(a) He was invited to visit Collins.
(b) He wants to get out of Paris for a while.
(c) He wants to get some fresh mustard.
(d) He has accepted a non-paying job at the University.
2. What effect does Henry think the homeless beggars have on society?
(a) They frighten us in the dark.
(b) They make us change the world.
(c) They make us bleed for five minutes, that is all.
(d) They make us count our blessings.
3. How does Henry make a little extra money while he is at Fillmore's place?
(a) He pawns things Fillmore would probably not miss.
(b) He does more nude modeling for Swift.
(c) He sells some of the pornographic pictures he posed for.
(d) Occasionally Carl comes by with a writing assignment he does not want to do himself.
4. How is Henry greeted by Macha when he first meets her?
(a) She says, "So you're the writer."
(b) She comes to the door wearing only a filmy negligee.
(c) She looks at him imperiously and asks if he's the butler.
(d) She refuses to recognize his presence.
5. What was Carl's problem with Irene?
(b) Vinereal diseast
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry do for a photographer?
2. Why does Van Norden insist that his teeth are all rotten?
3. What finally gets the Russian princess out of Fillmore's apartment?
4. After losing his job, what do Carl and Van Norden keep asking Henry?
5. For whom does Henry do some ghost writing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene when Yvette comes in drunk and half naked to Jimmie's bar.
2. What makes Henry think about the high born women of Paris?
3. What does Henry think about the English girl who stops him in the rain to ask for the time?
4. Where has Tania been and what does she want from Henry?
5. Describe the nature of the job Henry accepts in Dijon.
6. Describe the idea Henry and Carl get from Van Norden.
7. Explain how Henry compares Paris to a whore.
8. Why is Fillmore so late in inviting Henry to move in with him?
9. What is Fillmore's reason for being so considerate of Henry?
10. Why is it that Henry does not want to go to Russia with Tania?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)