|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What effect does Henry think the homeless beggars have on society?
(a) They frighten us in the dark.
(b) They make us bleed for five minutes, that is all.
(c) They make us change the world.
(d) They make us count our blessings.
2. What city in America does Henry recall on the way to Dijon?
(a) Salt Lake city, Utah
(b) Los angeles, California
(c) Austin, Texas
(d) Jacksonville, Florida
3. How is Henry greeted by Macha when he first meets her?
(a) She looks at him imperiously and asks if he's the butler.
(b) She comes to the door wearing only a filmy negligee.
(c) She says, "So you're the writer."
(d) She refuses to recognize his presence.
4. How does Henry make the decision to go to the blonde woman's apartment?
(a) He thinks it will cheer her up if he goes to her place.
(b) He thinks that at her place he might suggest moving in with her.
(c) He thinks it will be cheaper than paying for a hotel room.
(d) He believes she will not sleep with him in a hotel.
5. What finally gets the Russian princess out of Fillmore's apartment?
(a) Macha gets her inheritance.
(b) The police come for Macha.
(c) The cold makes Macha leave.
(d) Macha is hospitalized.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why had Henry always tolerated Boris?
2. What happens to Henry under the pressure of his job?
3. How does the reader know how angry the priest is?
4. What does Henry think of when he is nursing old wounds on his way to Dijon?
5. What does Henry do after Fillmore leaves for work in the mornings?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Henry feel going to his room in the dark dormitory late at night?
2. What is it about Van Norden that puzzles Henry?
3. What do Henry's thoughts about the naked trollops represent?
4. When the blonde woman stays away too long and leaves Henry alone in her room, what does he do?
5. Explain how Henry compares Paris to a whore.
6. Why does Henry stop writing?
7. What makes Henry think about the high born women of Paris?
8. Why does Kruger evict Henry from his studio?
9. Describe the nature of the job Henry accepts in Dijon.
10. How do both Fillmore and Henry appear to be gullible?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)