|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the blond woman react to Henry's offer of fifty francs?
(a) She accepts it with gratitude.
(b) She is insulted and Henry fears she might make a scene.
(c) She laughs in his face and makes him ashamed.
(d) She screams out that he is a miser.
2. Who gives Henry the money he has upon returning from Le Havre?
3. What does Macha do immediately when she sees that two men live at Fillmore's place?
(a) She begins to try and play them against each other.
(b) She informs them that she is not that kind of woman.
(c) She sizes up which one has the money.
(d) She gets frightened and leaves.
4. What does Henry see as the only faults of Swift's mistress and model?
(a) She is a bad cook.
(b) She demands too much of Mark.
(c) She has a great body but a hideously ugly face.
(d) She has lost her shape and her ability to support Mark anymore.
5. Why does Van Norden not want to go to the Dome?
(a) He does not like the decor.
(b) He was there only last night.
(c) He owes too much money there.
(d) He is tired of going to the Dome.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry say he knows about in the same way he knows about slaughterhouses and morgues?
2. After losing his job, what do Carl and Van Norden keep asking Henry?
3. What is his idea about his book?
4. What is the wild story Macha first tells Fillmore?
5. What does Henry believe must go along with ideas?
Short Essay Questions
1. Give a brief description of Van Norden.
2. What is it about Van Norden that puzzles Henry?
3. What is it about Boris that Henry can never quite understand?
4. Where has Tania been and what does she want from Henry?
5. What is the one thing that makes Van Norden's dump of a hotel acceptable?
6. Why does Henry stop writing?
7. What makes Henry think about the high born women of Paris?
8. How does Henry see flow of the word about him?
9. What is Fillmore's reason for being so considerate of Henry?
10. What is the unfortunate condition at the University during the winter?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)