|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the title that Henry wishes he had thought of?
(a) The Sun Also Rises
(b) A Man Cut in Slices
(c) Man and Superman
(d) The Red Shoes
2. What is the movie playing at the Cine Combat?
(a) Gone With the Wind
(c) The Jazz Singer
3. Why is Henry always looking for a free meal?
(a) He is trying to cut down on his expenses.
(b) He is too miserly to buy for himself.
(c) He is perpetually hungry.
(d) He wants people to feel sorry for him.
4. What does Carl say makes him want to go to Arizona?
(a) It is a place where he can find quiet to write.
(b) It is a place where they look you square in the eye.
(c) It is a place where there is lots of space.
(d) It is a good place for his allergies.
5. What has Van Norden lost at the Bal Negre?
(a) His gold pen
(b) His toupee
(c) His false teeth
(d) His wallet
Short Answer Questions
1. To torment Carl, what gossip does Marlowe whisper in his ear?
2. How does Henry describe the poor people of Paris?
3. How does Henry slightly disagree with Papini?
4. Why is Boris intimidated by his wife?
5. Where is Marlowe about to go?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Henry see the cheap whores at the corner of Rue Amelot?
2. How does Henry see the American women at the Cafe de la Paix or the Ritz Bar?
3. How does Henry get away from Serge?
4. What is the scene at the beginning of the novel and how does it set up the condition Henry is in while in Paris?
5. Explain how Kelpi makes his living.
6. How does Henry describe Moldorf?
7. What does Serge promise in lieu of a big Russian meal each day?
8. How does Henry describe the relationship between him, Boris, and Elsa?
9. What does Henry say about his escape from Serge?
10. In an attempt to get money, what is Henry unable to do?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)