|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the Villa Borghese, what is the Englishman doing upstairs?
(a) Cooking stew
(b) Hammering nails
(c) Playing Bach
(d) Tap dancing
2. Who comprises the communal life with Henry?
(a) Some dwarfs from the Cirque Medrano
(b) A dormitory of university students
(c) Several young expatriate American students
(d) Some crazy Russians, a Dutchman, and a Bulgarian woman nemed Olge
3. What is Henry's description of Marlowe?
(a) Nothing but a skull perforated by two deep sockets
(b) A scarecrow in a cornfield
(c) The living epitome of Ickabod Crane
(d) A broomstick wearing clothes
4. Where does Henry stay warm on a cold Easter morning?
(a) In bed
(b) In Eglise Ste.-Clotilde
(c) In the hotel lobby
(d) In the Dome
5. What is Nanantatee's stated profession?
(a) An art critic
(b) A pearl merchant
(c) A Hindu mystic
(d) A newspaper publisher
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the American woman inquire about that astonishes Henry?
2. Normally a slob, how does Nanantatee change after Henry moves in?
3. What author does Henry discover that cheers him?
4. What price is extracted from Henry for his meals at the Cronstadts?
5. What does Henry resist taking from the Cronstadt baby?
Short Essay Questions
1. What importance does Henry place on both the past and the future?
2. What is Henry's bright idea to get at least one free meal a day?
3. How does Henry see the American women at the Cafe de la Paix or the Ritz Bar?
4. How does Henry describe the relationship between him, Boris, and Elsa?
5. How does Henry define health that he equates with optimism?
6. Describe Henry's friends in Paris.
7. Why is Henry so generous with his praise of the prostitute Germaine?
8. What had Henry hoped for when he met Serge?
9. How does Henry see the cheap whores at the corner of Rue Amelot?
10. What does Serge promise in lieu of a big Russian meal each day?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)