|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What surrounds Henry on his walk on the Rue de Buci?
(a) Beggars asking for food
(b) Police looking at him suspiciously
(c) Hotels and food
(d) Sidewalk food venders
2. Why does Henry say that no one ever dies in Paris?
(a) Paris never forgets imbecils.
(b) You can read the names of famous people written on walls.
(c) People in Paris only drink wine.
(d) No one stays long enough to die.
3. What happens in Henry's head as Moldorf reads the letter from Fanny, his wife in America?
(a) He gets a migraine
(b) One of his surrealist fantasies
(c) He thinks about his own wife, Mona
(d) He daydreams of flying to America
4. What is Nanantatee's stated profession?
(a) An art critic
(b) A pearl merchant
(c) A newspaper publisher
(d) A Hindu mystic
5. In spite of his hunger, where does Henry hang out in the evenings?
(a) The Dome
(b) The stage door of the Folies-Bergere
(c) The opera
(d) The Rue du Pasteur-Wagner
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title that Henry wishes he had thought of?
2. In Henry's fantasy about Fanny, what is happening to her?
3. What is the main thing worrying Henry about his writing?
4. Where does Henry stay warm on a cold Easter morning?
5. How long has Henry's wife, Mona, been gone from Paris?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Henry leave the apartment when Boris sits down to eat?
2. What does Serge promise in lieu of a big Russian meal each day?
3. In relating his experience with the young Hindu, what is Henry expressing about his own beliefs?
4. How does Henry contrast a merry-go-round and the Germans?
5. How does Henry use sarcasm in describing Nanantatee's lavish apartment?
6. How does Henry describe Moldorf?
7. What is Henry's bright idea to get at least one free meal a day?
8. What importance does Henry place on both the past and the future?
9. What does Henry say about his escape from Serge?
10. What is the scene at the beginning of the novel and how does it set up the condition Henry is in while in Paris?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)