|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comprises the communal life with Henry?
(a) Some dwarfs from the Cirque Medrano
(b) Several young expatriate American students
(c) Some crazy Russians, a Dutchman, and a Bulgarian woman nemed Olge
(d) A dormitory of university students
2. What does Henry think about when he listens to Debussy?
(a) He thinks about his next meal.
(b) He wonders how a woman feels during sex.
(c) He thinks about where he can find a place to stay.
(d) He thinks about bedbugs and fleas.
3. What does Serge offer Henry in exchange for his services?
(a) A private loft where he can write.
(b) Fifty francs a week.
(c) Introductions to wealthy patrons.
(d) One meal a day and a place to sleep.
4. Why is Serge happy to meet Henry?
(a) He wants to meet Germaine.
(b) He has read Henry's articles.
(c) He needs a guide around Paris.
(d) He wants an English teacher.
5. What surrounds Henry on his walk on the Rue de Buci?
(a) Hotels and food
(b) Police looking at him suspiciously
(c) Sidewalk food venders
(d) Beggars asking for food
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Henry always looking for a free meal?
2. How does Germaine look to Henry in the clear light of day?
3. What deformity does Henry have in his fantasy at the cinema?
4. What is Henry's paranoia at Sylvester's house?
5. To torment Carl, what gossip does Marlowe whisper in his ear?
Short Essay Questions
1. In relating his experience with the young Hindu, what is Henry expressing about his own beliefs?
2. How does Henry see the cheap whores at the corner of Rue Amelot?
3. How did Nanantatee fool Henry and other people when he was in New York?
4. What is Henry's bright idea to get at least one free meal a day?
5. How does Henry describe the relationship between him, Boris, and Elsa?
6. What importance does Henry place on both the past and the future?
7. What lie does Henry tell the Cronstadts when they invite him to join their meal?
8. How does Henry use sarcasm in describing Nanantatee's lavish apartment?
9. What does Serge promise in lieu of a big Russian meal each day?
10. How does Henry see the American women at the Cafe de la Paix or the Ritz Bar?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)