|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is ironic about Henry's getting money from Peckover?
(a) He is almost as impoverished as Henry.
(b) Peckover cannot remember where he met Henry.
(c) Peckover is Sylvester's cousin.
(d) He and Henry have a long standing feud.
2. What surrounds Henry on his walk on the Rue de Buci?
(a) Beggars asking for food
(b) Hotels and food
(c) Sidewalk food venders
(d) Police looking at him suspiciously
3. What does Henry resist taking from the Cronstadt baby?
(a) A Teddy bear
(b) A pacifier
(c) A chicken bone
(d) A glass of milk
4. What does Henry think about when he listens to Debussy?
(a) He thinks about where he can find a place to stay.
(b) He wonders how a woman feels during sex.
(c) He thinks about bedbugs and fleas.
(d) He thinks about his next meal.
5. What happens in Henry's head as Moldorf reads the letter from Fanny, his wife in America?
(a) He thinks about his own wife, Mona
(b) One of his surrealist fantasies
(c) He daydreams of flying to America
(d) He gets a migraine
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Van Norden lost at the Bal Negre?
2. What is the movie playing at the Cine Combat?
3. If Emerson is correct in saying that life consists of what a man thinks, what is Henry at this point?
4. How does Henry say Moldorf hears his own voice?
5. Who comprises the communal life with Henry?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Henry describe Moldorf?
2. What does Henry say about his escape from Serge?
3. Describe Henry's friends in Paris.
4. How does Henry describe the book on which he is working?
5. In an attempt to get money, what is Henry unable to do?
6. Why does Henry like eating with the Cronstadts the best?
7. Why is Henry so generous with his praise of the prostitute Germaine?
8. What lie does Henry tell the Cronstadts when they invite him to join their meal?
9. How does Henry use sarcasm in describing Nanantatee's lavish apartment?
10. What does Henry know about Walter Pach?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)