|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Nanantatee's stated profession?
(a) An art critic
(b) A newspaper publisher
(c) A pearl merchant
(d) A Hindu mystic
2. If Emerson is correct in saying that life consists of what a man thinks, what is Henry at this point?
(a) One long intestine
(b) No words on a blank page
(c) A wine bottle
(d) A satyr
3. What does the young Hindu do that upsets the madame?
(a) He refuses to pay.
(b) He beats up a girl.
(c) He smokes foul smelling Indian cigars.
(d) He uses the bidet for a toilet.
4. What has Van Norden lost at the Bal Negre?
(a) His toupee
(b) His false teeth
(c) His wallet
(d) His gold pen
5. Having gone all day without anything to eat, what enters Henry's mind?
(a) A book he read about cheap whores on the Rue du Pasteur-Wagner
(b) His wife Mona who is working and has plenty to eat
(c) All the food that restaurants throw into the garbage bins
(d) A banquet he once attended where he ate pheasant under glass
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the American woman inquire about that astonishes Henry?
2. What is the main thing worrying Henry about his writing?
3. Normally a slob, how does Nanantatee change after Henry moves in?
4. Who does Henry praise for putting her whole soul into her whoring?
5. How much money does Henry get from Peckover?
Short Essay Questions
1. What had Henry hoped for when he met Serge?
2. How does Henry get away from Serge?
3. What importance does Henry place on both the past and the future?
4. What are Henry's evenings with Carl like?
5. In relating his experience with the young Hindu, what is Henry expressing about his own beliefs?
6. How does Henry describe the relationship between him, Boris, and Elsa?
7. How did Nanantatee fool Henry and other people when he was in New York?
8. Describe Henry's friends in Paris.
9. What does Serge promise in lieu of a big Russian meal each day?
10. How does Henry define health that he equates with optimism?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)