|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens in Henry's head as Moldorf reads the letter from Fanny, his wife in America?
(a) He daydreams of flying to America
(b) He thinks about his own wife, Mona
(c) He gets a migraine
(d) One of his surrealist fantasies
2. In spite of his hunger, where does Henry hang out in the evenings?
(a) The Rue du Pasteur-Wagner
(b) The Dome
(c) The opera
(d) The stage door of the Folies-Bergere
3. Normally a slob, how does Nanantatee change after Henry moves in?
(a) He starts picking up after himself.
(b) He moves them into a fancy hotel.
(c) He becomes excessively clean.
(d) He hires a maid.
4. What does the young Hindu do that upsets the madame?
(a) He beats up a girl.
(b) He uses the bidet for a toilet.
(c) He refuses to pay.
(d) He smokes foul smelling Indian cigars.
5. Having gone all day without anything to eat, what enters Henry's mind?
(a) A book he read about cheap whores on the Rue du Pasteur-Wagner
(b) His wife Mona who is working and has plenty to eat
(c) A banquet he once attended where he ate pheasant under glass
(d) All the food that restaurants throw into the garbage bins
Short Answer Questions
1. What is ironic about Henry's getting money from Peckover?
2. What does Marlowe want Henry and Carl to do during his absence?
3. About what does Serge want to learn?
4. What lucky find does Henry make in the cafe?
5. What is the main thing worrying Henry about his writing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the scene at the beginning of the novel and how does it set up the condition Henry is in while in Paris?
2. In an attempt to get money, what is Henry unable to do?
3. What does Henry say about his escape from Serge?
4. What lie does Henry tell the Cronstadts when they invite him to join their meal?
5. What does Serge promise in lieu of a big Russian meal each day?
6. What does Elsa say bout the Englishman upstairs playing Bach?
7. What importance does Henry place on both the past and the future?
8. What are Henry's evenings with Carl like?
9. How does Henry describe the book on which he is working?
10. How does Henry describe Moldorf?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)