|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the main thing worrying Henry about his writing?
(a) Someone stealing his ideas
(b) Not knowing where he can sit to write
(c) Never having enough light to see by
(d) Having a serious writer's block
2. Where is Marlowe about to go?
(a) New York City
(c) San Francisco
3. What is Nanantatee's stated profession?
(a) An art critic
(b) A pearl merchant
(c) A Hindu mystic
(d) A newspaper publisher
4. What does Carl say makes him want to go to Arizona?
(a) It is a place where there is lots of space.
(b) It is a good place for his allergies.
(c) It is a place where he can find quiet to write.
(d) It is a place where they look you square in the eye.
5. Why can Henry not go to the cinema or into the opium joint?
(a) He needs to save the money to buy breakfast.
(b) He has been banned from both places.
(c) He can't afford to be seen there.
(d) He is short a few sous.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the young Hindu do that upsets the madame?
2. Who asks Sylvester if he can stay with him until he goes to bed?
3. What does the American woman inquire about that astonishes Henry?
4. What does Serge offer Henry in exchange for his services?
5. Where does Henry stay warm on a cold Easter morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Henry go so often to the American Express office?
2. Why does Kruger evict Henry from his studio?
3. How does Henry describe Moldorf?
4. What is it about Boris that Henry can never quite understand?
5. How does Henry define health that he equates with optimism?
6. What do Henry's thoughts about the naked trollops represent?
7. Why does Henry stop writing?
8. What does Henry say about his escape from Serge?
9. Why does Henry like eating with the Cronstadts the best?
10. When the blonde woman stays away too long and leaves Henry alone in her room, what does he do?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)