|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Carl say makes him want to go to Arizona?
(a) It is a place where he can find quiet to write.
(b) It is a place where they look you square in the eye.
(c) It is a place where there is lots of space.
(d) It is a good place for his allergies.
2. Who does Henry praise for putting her whole soul into her whoring?
3. What is Henry's problem as the novel opens?
(a) He needs a desk or table to write on.
(b) He lost his wallet.
(c) He is about to be evicted.
(d) He is seriously ill.
4. What makes Henry feel ill when he opens the door of the commune?
(a) The smell of cooking with rancid butter
(b) The stale smoke in the room
(c) The smell of disinfectants
(d) The body odor of the Russians
5. What surrounds Henry on his walk on the Rue de Buci?
(a) Sidewalk food venders
(b) Hotels and food
(c) Police looking at him suspiciously
(d) Beggars asking for food
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Henry brush against Walter Pach?
2. What author does Henry discover that cheers him?
3. How are Boris and Henry planning to write THE LAST BOOK?
4. What is Henry thinking about as he walks along the Champs-Elysee?
5. What does Henry buy with the money he takes from Peckover?
Short Essay Questions
1. What had Henry hoped for when he met Serge?
2. How does Henry get away from Serge?
3. How does Henry see the cheap whores at the corner of Rue Amelot?
4. In an attempt to get money, what is Henry unable to do?
5. How does Henry use sarcasm in describing Nanantatee's lavish apartment?
6. How did Nanantatee fool Henry and other people when he was in New York?
7. What does Elsa say bout the Englishman upstairs playing Bach?
8. Why does Henry like eating with the Cronstadts the best?
9. What are Henry's evenings with Carl like?
10. How does Henry describe the relationship between him, Boris, and Elsa?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)