|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What surrounds Henry on his walk on the Rue de Buci?
(a) Beggars asking for food
(b) Police looking at him suspiciously
(c) Hotels and food
(d) Sidewalk food venders
2. What does Henry buy with the money he takes from Peckover?
(a) Coffee and a croissant
(b) An American breakfast
(c) A cheap bottle of wine
(d) A dozen eggs
3. What is the title that Henry wishes he had thought of?
(a) Man and Superman
(b) The Sun Also Rises
(c) A Man Cut in Slices
(d) The Red Shoes
4. How does Henry sum up his idea of le bel aujourd'hui?
(a) Sunshine and lilacs all year long
(b) No memories, no suffering, no interruptions
(c) No sorrows, no regrets, no past, no future
(d) Sitting down to a good meal daily
5. How does Moldorf view Sylvester?
(a) As a pitiful human being
(b) As a god
(c) As a great artist
(d) As an inept writer
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry think about when he listens to Debussy?
2. What does the young Hindu do before leaving Paris?
3. How does Henry say Moldorf hears his own voice?
4. What is Henry's derogatory name for the Indian, Nanantatee?
5. What has Van Norden lost at the Bal Negre?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Henry say about his escape from Serge?
2. In relating his experience with the young Hindu, what is Henry expressing about his own beliefs?
3. How did Nanantatee fool Henry and other people when he was in New York?
4. How does Henry see the cheap whores at the corner of Rue Amelot?
5. What is Henry's bright idea to get at least one free meal a day?
6. How does Henry describe the book on which he is working?
7. What is the scene at the beginning of the novel and how does it set up the condition Henry is in while in Paris?
8. Explain how Kelpi makes his living.
9. Why is Henry so generous with his praise of the prostitute Germaine?
10. How does Henry use sarcasm in describing Nanantatee's lavish apartment?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)