|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Henry's problem as the novel opens?
(a) He lost his wallet.
(b) He is seriously ill.
(c) He is about to be evicted.
(d) He needs a desk or table to write on.
2. Who helps get Henry out of Nanantatee's apartment much of the time?
(a) A young Hindu lecturer from India
(c) Sylvester and Tania
3. Normally a slob, how does Nanantatee change after Henry moves in?
(a) He starts picking up after himself.
(b) He becomes excessively clean.
(c) He moves them into a fancy hotel.
(d) He hires a maid.
4. What does Henry resist taking from the Cronstadt baby?
(a) A Teddy bear
(b) A glass of milk
(c) A chicken bone
(d) A pacifier
5. Sleeping on a mattress in the hall, what is Henry's troubled dream?
(a) The dancers and audience of Follies-Bergere all naked and scratching fleas.
(b) The Mona Lisa scratching herself to get rid of bedbugs.
(c) Germaine forcing him to marry her when she gets pregnant.
(d) Boris, Carl, and Tania laughing at him in the Louvre.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens in Henry's head as Moldorf reads the letter from Fanny, his wife in America?
2. When Henry is writing about Claude, of whom is he really thinking?
3. To torment Carl, what gossip does Marlowe whisper in his ear?
4. How does Henry say Moldorf hears his own voice?
5. Why does Henry say that no one ever dies in Paris?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Henry like eating with the Cronstadts the best?
2. How does Henry see the American women at the Cafe de la Paix or the Ritz Bar?
3. How does Henry define health that he equates with optimism?
4. How does Henry describe the relationship between him, Boris, and Elsa?
5. What lie does Henry tell the Cronstadts when they invite him to join their meal?
6. Describe Henry's friends in Paris.
7. What are Henry's evenings with Carl like?
8. How does Henry get away from Serge?
9. In relating his experience with the young Hindu, what is Henry expressing about his own beliefs?
10. What does Henry say about his escape from Serge?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)