|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In spite of his hunger, where does Henry hang out in the evenings?
(a) The stage door of the Folies-Bergere
(b) The Rue du Pasteur-Wagner
(c) The Dome
(d) The opera
2. What is Marlowe's usual trick to get out of paying a bar bill?
(a) He pretends he is going blind.
(b) He makes a quick trip to the toilet.
(c) He mumbles about leaving his wallet in other pants.
(d) He pretends he doesn't see the bill.
3. Why is Serge happy to meet Henry?
(a) He wants to meet Germaine.
(b) He has read Henry's articles.
(c) He wants an English teacher.
(d) He needs a guide around Paris.
4. What does Henry say about Napoleon?
(a) It was not his ideas they wanted; it was his corpse.
(b) He was sabotaged by his own lusts.
(c) He was once what modorf is now.
(d) It was not his military genious; it was his short stature.
5. What is Henry's problem as the novel opens?
(a) He is seriously ill.
(b) He needs a desk or table to write on.
(c) He lost his wallet.
(d) He is about to be evicted.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Henry is writing about Claude, of whom is he really thinking?
2. What does the American woman inquire about that astonishes Henry?
3. Who are most of Henry's friends in Paris?
4. What emotion does Claude arouse in Henry?
5. Who does Henry believe is undermining him during the last days in Villa Borghese?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the scene at the beginning of the novel and how does it set up the condition Henry is in while in Paris?
2. Why does Henry leave the apartment when Boris sits down to eat?
3. What does Henry know about Walter Pach?
4. What is Henry's bright idea to get at least one free meal a day?
5. How does Henry see the American women at the Cafe de la Paix or the Ritz Bar?
6. How does Henry describe the book on which he is working?
7. What does Serge promise in lieu of a big Russian meal each day?
8. How did Nanantatee fool Henry and other people when he was in New York?
9. What importance does Henry place on both the past and the future?
10. Describe Henry's friends in Paris.
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)