|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are Boris and Henry planning to write THE LAST BOOK?
(a) Each one writing every other chapter
(c) In French and German
(d) Dictating to a secretary
2. How does Henry picture Serge's lazy slut of a wife?
(a) As a would-be writer with no talent.
(b) As an intelligent, hard working American woman.
(c) As an emaciated American woman with no ambition.
(d) As a fat American lying on the sofa eating bon bons.
3. Who does Henry believe is undermining him during the last days in Villa Borghese?
(a) Fanny, Moldorf's wife
(b) Tania, Sylverster's wife
(c) Elsa, the maid
(d) Mona, his wife
4. To torment Carl, what gossip does Marlowe whisper in his ear?
(a) The police are looking for you.
(b) You're going to lose your job.
(c) Your apartment building is about to be condemned.
(d) Your favorite girl has the clap.
5. What does the young Hindu do before leaving Paris?
(a) Gets drunk
(b) Gets the last of Henry's money
(c) Visits a brothel again
(d) Signs a book deal with a publisher
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nanantatee's friend, Kelpi, do when Nanantatee is not at home?
2. What does Henry think about when he listens to Debussy?
3. Why can Henry not go to the cinema or into the opium joint?
4. What happens in Henry's head as Moldorf reads the letter from Fanny, his wife in America?
5. What does the young Hindu do that upsets the madame?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Henry use sarcasm in describing Nanantatee's lavish apartment?
2. Why does Henry go so often to the American Express office?
3. How does Henry define health that he equates with optimism?
4. What importance does Henry place on both the past and the future?
5. How does Henry see the cheap whores at the corner of Rue Amelot?
6. What had Henry hoped for when he met Serge?
7. Why does Henry leave the apartment when Boris sits down to eat?
8. Why does Henry like eating with the Cronstadts the best?
9. How does Henry contrast a merry-go-round and the Germans?
10. How does Henry describe the book on which he is working?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)