|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are most of Henry's friends in Paris?
(b) Other Americans
2. What is Marlowe's usual trick to get out of paying a bar bill?
(a) He mumbles about leaving his wallet in other pants.
(b) He makes a quick trip to the toilet.
(c) He pretends he doesn't see the bill.
(d) He pretends he is going blind.
3. What does Henry resist taking from the Cronstadt baby?
(a) A glass of milk
(b) A Teddy bear
(c) A chicken bone
(d) A pacifier
4. Where does Henry brush against Walter Pach?
(a) In the Dome
(b) In the cinema
(c) In the American Express office
(d) In the Tuileries
5. Having gone all day without anything to eat, what enters Henry's mind?
(a) A book he read about cheap whores on the Rue du Pasteur-Wagner
(b) A banquet he once attended where he ate pheasant under glass
(c) His wife Mona who is working and has plenty to eat
(d) All the food that restaurants throw into the garbage bins
Short Answer Questions
1. If Emerson is correct in saying that life consists of what a man thinks, what is Henry at this point?
2. What does Henry say about Napoleon?
3. How does Germaine look to Henry in the clear light of day?
4. When Henry is writing about Claude, of whom is he really thinking?
5. How much money does Henry get from Peckover?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Kelpi makes his living.
2. Why does Henry go so often to the American Express office?
3. What lie does Henry tell the Cronstadts when they invite him to join their meal?
4. Explain how Henry is helped from Kruger's studio.
5. What is the one thing that makes Van Norden's dump of a hotel acceptable?
6. How does Henry describe Moldorf?
7. How does Henry see the cheap whores at the corner of Rue Amelot?
8. What is it about Van Norden that puzzles Henry?
9. What is Henry's bright idea to get at least one free meal a day?
10. What does Henry say about his escape from Serge?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)