|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is ironic about Henry's getting money from Peckover?
(a) He and Henry have a long standing feud.
(b) He is almost as impoverished as Henry.
(c) Peckover is Sylvester's cousin.
(d) Peckover cannot remember where he met Henry.
2. How much money does Henry get from Peckover?
(a) One franc-fifty
(b) Ten francs
(c) Fifty centimes
(d) Fifty francs
3. What price is extracted from Henry for his meals at the Cronstadts?
(a) Carbons and babysitting
(b) Cleaning the toilets
(c) Reading from his manuscript
(d) Translating letters
4. What does Nanantatee's friend, Kelpi, do when Nanantatee is not at home?
(a) He sits on the front steps and waits for him.
(b) He looks for loose change in the sofa.
(c) He tells Henry secrets about Nanantatee.
(d) He raids the cabinet for food.
5. What is Henry's perception of Mr. Wren, the American artist and writer?
(a) He has everything because he has a rich wife.
(b) He is a better writer than Henry.
(c) He makes no sense when he talks.
(d) He is someone Henry wants to know better.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Henry praise for putting her whole soul into her whoring?
2. In Henry's fantasy about Fanny, what is happening to her?
3. How does Moldorf view Sylvester?
4. What does the American woman inquire about that astonishes Henry?
5. What surrounds Henry on his walk on the Rue de Buci?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the scene at the beginning of the novel and how does it set up the condition Henry is in while in Paris?
2. How does Henry use sarcasm in describing Nanantatee's lavish apartment?
3. How did Nanantatee fool Henry and other people when he was in New York?
4. What does Serge promise in lieu of a big Russian meal each day?
5. What had Henry hoped for when he met Serge?
6. How does Henry see the American women at the Cafe de la Paix or the Ritz Bar?
7. How does Henry describe the relationship between him, Boris, and Elsa?
8. How does Henry get away from Serge?
9. How does Henry contrast a merry-go-round and the Germans?
10. What does Henry say about his escape from Serge?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)