|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Henry say Moldorf hears his own voice?
(a) He hears the monotone of the telegraph lines.
(b) He hears the pounding of the suft.
(c) He hears the whisper of the breeze.
(d) He hears a roar while others hear a squeak.
2. In Henry's fantasy about Fanny, what is happening to her?
(a) She is blowing up li9ke a balloon.
(b) She is melting.
(c) Something is tickling her.
(d) She is crying hysterically.
3. What is Nanantatee's stated profession?
(a) A newspaper publisher
(b) A Hindu mystic
(c) A pearl merchant
(d) An art critic
4. How does Nanantatee irritate Henry?
(a) He insists on calling him Endree.
(b) He cleans his apartment all the time.
(c) He tries to convert Henry to Hinduism.
(d) He does not offer wine to Henry when he drinks.
5. Where is Marlowe about to go?
(b) New York City
(c) San Francisco
Short Answer Questions
1. In spite of his hunger, where does Henry hang out in the evenings?
2. Normally a slob, how does Nanantatee change after Henry moves in?
3. What is Henry thinking about as he walks along the Champs-Elysee?
4. How does Kelpi make his living?
5. What is Henry's derogatory name for the Indian, Nanantatee?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Henry know about Walter Pach?
2. What is the scene at the beginning of the novel and how does it set up the condition Henry is in while in Paris?
3. How does Henry get away from Serge?
4. How does Henry describe Moldorf?
5. Explain how Kelpi makes his living.
6. What does Serge promise in lieu of a big Russian meal each day?
7. What does Elsa say bout the Englishman upstairs playing Bach?
8. What lie does Henry tell the Cronstadts when they invite him to join their meal?
9. What is Henry's bright idea to get at least one free meal a day?
10. Describe Henry's friends in Paris.
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)