|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About what does Serge want to learn?
(a) California wines
2. Why is Serge happy to meet Henry?
(a) He wants an English teacher.
(b) He needs a guide around Paris.
(c) He has read Henry's articles.
(d) He wants to meet Germaine.
3. At the Villa Borghese, what is the Englishman doing upstairs?
(a) Tap dancing
(b) Hammering nails
(c) Playing Bach
(d) Cooking stew
4. Who does Henry praise for putting her whole soul into her whoring?
5. What does Marlowe want Henry and Carl to do during his absence?
(a) Stay away from his wife
(b) Write his reviews for the newspaper
(c) Send him money
(d) Pay his bar bills
Short Answer Questions
1. What lucky find does Henry make in the cafe?
2. How does Kelpi make his living?
3. How does Henry describe the poor people of Paris?
4. When Henry is writing about Claude, of whom is he really thinking?
5. Where does Henry brush against Walter Pach?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Henry's evenings with Carl like?
2. In relating his experience with the young Hindu, what is Henry expressing about his own beliefs?
3. Why does Henry like eating with the Cronstadts the best?
4. How does Henry use sarcasm in describing Nanantatee's lavish apartment?
5. Describe Henry's friends in Paris.
6. What does Serge promise in lieu of a big Russian meal each day?
7. Why does Henry leave the apartment when Boris sits down to eat?
8. What had Henry hoped for when he met Serge?
9. Why does Henry go so often to the American Express office?
10. How does Henry define health that he equates with optimism?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)