|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Fillmore and Henry deal with the cold flat?
(a) They sip hot toddies.
(b) They sleep in the same bed.
(c) The burn the furniture.
(d) They leave and go visit Carl.
2. What is Henry's behavior just before he leaves the blonde woman's room?
(a) He gets very angry that she left him there alone.
(b) He listens for her return and takes back the money he gave her.
(c) He takes his time putting his clothes back on.
(d) He becomes panicky thinking she has gone for the police.
3. What does Fillmore leave for Henry every morning after he moves in?
(a) Breakfast in bedFrech coffee and croissants
(b) A ten franc note
(c) Blank paper and a filled pen
(d) A book to read
4. What does Van Norden use to bribe Henry into helping him?
(a) The promise of a meal now and then
(b) A few hundred francs
(c) His black book of names of girls who have sex for free
(d) A place to write
5. What was Carl's problem with Irene?
(a) Vinereal diseast
6. What are they looking for in the church when the priest stops them?
(a) The collection box
(b) The candles
(c) The exit
(d) The statue of the Virgin
7. For whom does Henry do some ghost writing?
(a) A german he met through Elsa
(b) A Russian art dealer
(c) A Jewish fur merchant
(d) The owner of the Dome
8. Who used to call Henry a great human being?
9. How does the English woman react when Henry suggests going to a hotel?
(a) She turns and runs away.
(b) She slaps his face.
(c) She charges an outlandish price.
(d) She tells him she is not that sort of girl.
10. How does the reader know how angry the priest is?
(a) The veins pop out on his temples.
(b) He shouts surses at Henry and Fillmore.
(c) He chases Henry and Fillmore outside, shaking his fist.
(d) He is jumping up and down just outside the door.
11. Why is Henry writing letters to Irene?
(a) She is the rich woman they are trying to secure for Carl.
(b) She is a great literary agent.
(c) She answers her letter with money enclosed.
(d) She has a room for rent in her house.
12. What does Henry want to see in the Pension Orfila?
(a) The fabled murals by Picasso
(b) The lavatories with the gold fixtures
(c) The room where Strindberg once lived
(d) The bust of Homer
13. Who urges Henry to run away to Russia with Tania?
14. What is Henry's opinion about the war games that take place at the barracks next to Fillmore's place?
(a) He thinks that it makes him feel safe to be in France.
(b) He thinks they are quite entertaining.
(c) He thinks they are depressing and utterly ridiculous.
(d) He thinks that maybe he sould join the French Foriegn Legion.
15. What is Henry's curious speculation about Mona?
(a) He wonders if they will ever be together again.
(b) He wonders if she has gotten fat.
(c) He wonders why she does not send him more money.
(d) He wonders if she ever thinks about him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Describe the ridiculous method Fillmore has of getting women into his bedroom.
2. What does Henry say Van Norden tracks down like a sleuth?
3. How does the blond woman react to Henry's offer of fifty francs?
4. What is Henry's assessment of Mark Swift?
5. What does Henry see as the only faults of Swift's mistress and model?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)