|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Henry do after Fillmore leaves for work in the mornings?
(a) He goes for a stroll
(b) He sits at the table and stares at a blank page.
(c) He goes back to sleep, sometimes not getting up before noon.
(d) He puts out pages of an old book he wrote years ago
2. Why is Henry going to Dijon?
(a) He was invited to visit Collins.
(b) He has accepted a non-paying job at the University.
(c) He wants to get some fresh mustard.
(d) He wants to get out of Paris for a while.
3. What happens to Peckover that may benefit Henry?
(a) Peckover died and Henry may be mentioned in his will.
(b) Peckover is fired and Henry may get the job.
(c) Peckover is transferred to Dijon and may take Henry with him.
(d) Peckover is getting a riase and will be able to help Henry.
4. How do Fillmore and Henry deal with the cold flat?
(a) The burn the furniture.
(b) They sleep in the same bed.
(c) They sip hot toddies.
(d) They leave and go visit Carl.
5. How much does Henry plan to spend on the blonde woman?
(a) He plans to get her to bed him for free.
(b) He plans to spend only fifty francs.
(c) He plans to offer to let her move in with him.
(d) He plans to spend over a hundred francs.
6. What is his idea about his book?
(a) To give it up because his ideas are too radical
(b) To write only what the public wants to read
(c) To present a resurrection of emotions
(d) To imitate the best sellers of his day
7. At the blonde woman's apartment, what feeling does Henry have when she goes to see her sick mother?
(a) He decides to leave and never come back.
(b) He feels that he is in some kind of drama that will be in the morning papers.
(c) He fears that some kind of scam is being pulled on him.
(d) He thinks the woman is holding out for more money.
8. What does Henry see as the only faults of Swift's mistress and model?
(a) She has a great body but a hideously ugly face.
(b) She demands too much of Mark.
(c) She has lost her shape and her ability to support Mark anymore.
(d) She is a bad cook.
9. What does Henry say he knows about in the same way he knows about slaughterhouses and morgues?
(a) How to form lasting friendships
(c) The Catholic mass
10. What does Henry have to tone down on his new job?
(a) His vocabulary
(b) His style of dressing
(c) His singing
(d) His looking for free meals
11. At three o'clock in the morning, what is going on in Fillmore's apartment?
(a) Henry and Fillmore have both fallen asleep with their clothes on.
(b) Macha wakes them up to get her things out of the apartment.
(c) Henry and Fillmore have two naked trollops romping on the floor.
(d) Henry and Fillmore are deep in metaphysical discussion.
12. How does Henry see what he calls the inhuman race of artists?
(a) As being able to sieze the unobtainable.
(b) As divine angels of light
(c) As standing on high places and ripping out their entrails
(d) As being stoned to death my the humans
13. How does the blond woman react to Henry's offer of fifty francs?
(a) She accepts it with gratitude.
(b) She screams out that he is a miser.
(c) She is insulted and Henry fears she might make a scene.
(d) She laughs in his face and makes him ashamed.
14. What favor does Van Norden want Henry to do for him?
(a) Teach him how to find a rich wife.
(b) Procure virgins for him.
(c) Go with the mother of a girl he has lined up for his night off.
(d) Write a love letter for him.
15. How long does it take before Irene agrees to meet Carl in her hotel?
(a) About six months
(b) Over a year
(c) The end of the year
(d) Only a few weeks
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry realize the moment he gets off the train in Dijon?
2. What does Henry have to learn to do in his new job?
3. What does Fillmore leave for Henry every morning after he moves in?
4. Who urges Henry to run away to Russia with Tania?
5. What does Henry say is the worst writing job he undertook?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)