|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. One place has a good room but why does he not take it?
(a) It is too far away from the places he likes to walk in the evenings.
(b) To get to his room he would have to pass through a blind man's room.
(c) It is too near Sylvester's apartment and he wants to be far away.
(d) He suspects it has bedbugs and fleas, although he never saw them.
2. At three o'clock in the morning, what is going on in Fillmore's apartment?
(a) Henry and Fillmore have both fallen asleep with their clothes on.
(b) Macha wakes them up to get her things out of the apartment.
(c) Henry and Fillmore have two naked trollops romping on the floor.
(d) Henry and Fillmore are deep in metaphysical discussion.
3. How is Henry surprised by the blonde woman's action in bed?
(a) He fears that she is going to substitute her mother in the bed.
(b) He cannot believe how accomplished she is.
(c) He is amazed that she refuses to remove her kimono.
(d) He is startled when she reaches up and turns out the lights.
4. What historical information does the photographer give to Henry?
(a) The history of the Jews during the Black Death
(b) The part France played in Columbus's expeditions
(c) Personal information about great writers he has photographed
(d) The unwritten details of Marie Antoinette's beheading
5. What does Henry think will happen to the world if someone really writes his true thoughts and experiences?
(a) The world will reawaken.
(b) The world will only sigh and go to sleep.
(c) The world will g on turning.
(d) The world will destruct.
6. Why does Van Norden insist that his teeth are all rotten?
(a) Because of the water in Paris
(b) Because he lost his toothbrush
(c) Because of the bread in France
(d) Because his dentist is incompetent
7. What favor does Van Norden want Henry to do for him?
(a) Procure virgins for him.
(b) Teach him how to find a rich wife.
(c) Go with the mother of a girl he has lined up for his night off.
(d) Write a love letter for him.
8. Why does Van Norden not want to go to the Dome?
(a) He was there only last night.
(b) He does not like the decor.
(c) He owes too much money there.
(d) He is tired of going to the Dome.
9. How does Henry make the decision to go to the blonde woman's apartment?
(a) He thinks it will cheer her up if he goes to her place.
(b) He thinks it will be cheaper than paying for a hotel room.
(c) He thinks that at her place he might suggest moving in with her.
(d) He believes she will not sleep with him in a hotel.
10. How much does Henry plan to spend on the blonde woman?
(a) He plans to offer to let her move in with him.
(b) He plans to get her to bed him for free.
(c) He plans to spend only fifty francs.
(d) He plans to spend over a hundred francs.
11. Who used to call Henry a great human being?
12. Who urges Henry to run away to Russia with Tania?
13. Why is Fillmore so taken with Macha?
(a) He believes she will make him a duke.
(b) He is impressed with her title.
(c) He thinks she may know a princess for Henry.
(d) He expects her to fall in love with him.
14. What are they looking for in the church when the priest stops them?
(a) The collection box
(b) The candles
(c) The exit
(d) The statue of the Virgin
15. What does Henry say Van Norden tracks down like a sleuth?
(a) Cheap prostitutes
(b) Rich women
(c) Married women
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry see as the only faults of Swift's mistress and model?
2. How does the blond woman react to Henry's offer of fifty francs?
3. What is the best thing Henry notes about Kruger, the painter and sculptor?
4. What does Henry say he knows about in the same way he knows about slaughterhouses and morgues?
5. What does Van Norden call everyone?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)