|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Henry's response when the English girl asks for a loan of fifteen or twenty francs?
(a) He laughs in her face.
(b) He insists that she go to bed with him.
(c) He gives her fifty francs.
(d) He runs away from her.
2. What does Mona never understand about Henry?
(a) His philandering ways
(b) His gutter vocabulary
(c) His attraction for Paris
(d) His need to write
3. Why does Henry enjoy the company of the photographer?
(a) Because he always has money
(b) Because of his thorough knowledge of Paris
(c) Because he is less intelligent than Henry
(d) Because he enjoys posing for him
4. What is Henry's assessment of Mark Swift?
(a) If not a genius, he is certainly eccentric.
(b) He is talentless but determined.
(c) He is madly in love with his artist wife.
(d) He keeps Henry in money for posing nude for him.
5. What does Van Norden use to bribe Henry into helping him?
(a) A few hundred francs
(b) A place to write
(c) His black book of names of girls who have sex for free
(d) The promise of a meal now and then
6. How is Henry surprised by the blonde woman's action in bed?
(a) He is amazed that she refuses to remove her kimono.
(b) He fears that she is going to substitute her mother in the bed.
(c) He cannot believe how accomplished she is.
(d) He is startled when she reaches up and turns out the lights.
7. What favor does Van Norden want Henry to do for him?
(a) Write a love letter for him.
(b) Go with the mother of a girl he has lined up for his night off.
(c) Procure virgins for him.
(d) Teach him how to find a rich wife.
8. What is it in Irene's expensive hotel that makes Henry think about Van Norden?
(a) Seeing a prostitute he had once pointed out ot Henry
(b) The revolving door
(c) All the rich Englishwomen there
(d) A young virgin coming in as he is going out
9. How does the English woman react when Henry suggests going to a hotel?
(a) She turns and runs away.
(b) She slaps his face.
(c) She charges an outlandish price.
(d) She tells him she is not that sort of girl.
10. After losing his job, what do Carl and Van Norden keep asking Henry?
(a) Why don't you go back to America?
(b) Where are you going to find another job?
(c) What will you do it your wife returns to Paris?
(d) Who will take you in since you've been through all your friends?
11. What happens in the place where Macha is known and has her hand kissed repeatedly?
(a) Macha gets drunk and agrees to go to bed with Fillmore.
(b) Macha refuses to leave with Fillmore.
(c) Macha confesses that she is not a real princess.
(d) Macha goes to make a phone call and never returns.
12. How is Henry greeted by Macha when he first meets her?
(a) She refuses to recognize his presence.
(b) She comes to the door wearing only a filmy negligee.
(c) She says, "So you're the writer."
(d) She looks at him imperiously and asks if he's the butler.
13. What does Henry do for a photographer?
(a) He finds whores for him to photograph.
(b) He learns to work in his darkroom.
(c) He poses for pornographic pictures for a German collector.
(d) He writes captions for his photographs.
14. Where do Henry and Tania go that he has never been before?
(a) The expensive department stores of Paris
(b) The Louvre
(c) The swell bars around the Champs-Elysee
(d) The sight seeing trips down the Seine
15. How does the reader know how angry the priest is?
(a) The veins pop out on his temples.
(b) He chases Henry and Fillmore outside, shaking his fist.
(c) He shouts surses at Henry and Fillmore.
(d) He is jumping up and down just outside the door.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Fillmore and Henry deal with the cold flat?
2. What does Henry do after Fillmore leaves for work in the mornings?
3. What does Henry have to tone down on his new job?
4. What does the priest do with them?
5. What is the wild story Macha first tells Fillmore?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)