|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the priest do with them?
(a) He throws them out into the cold.
(b) He holds them for the police.
(c) He sits them down and gives them a lecture.
(d) He gives them money to leave.
2. What does Henry suggest is the task of the artist?
(a) To make bloated pages and erase petty intrusions
(b) To present only the beauty of the world
(c) To give the public what it wants
(d) To create something of his own out of the chaos around him
3. Why is Henry writing letters to Irene?
(a) She has a room for rent in her house.
(b) She is a great literary agent.
(c) She answers her letter with money enclosed.
(d) She is the rich woman they are trying to secure for Carl.
4. What does Mona never understand about Henry?
(a) His gutter vocabulary
(b) His philandering ways
(c) His need to write
(d) His attraction for Paris
5. One place has a good room but why does he not take it?
(a) It is too near Sylvester's apartment and he wants to be far away.
(b) He suspects it has bedbugs and fleas, although he never saw them.
(c) It is too far away from the places he likes to walk in the evenings.
(d) To get to his room he would have to pass through a blind man's room.
6. Who gives Henry the money he has upon returning from Le Havre?
7. How is Henry surprised by the blonde woman's action in bed?
(a) He is amazed that she refuses to remove her kimono.
(b) He cannot believe how accomplished she is.
(c) He fears that she is going to substitute her mother in the bed.
(d) He is startled when she reaches up and turns out the lights.
8. Why is Henry going to Dijon?
(a) He wants to get out of Paris for a while.
(b) He was invited to visit Collins.
(c) He has accepted a non-paying job at the University.
(d) He wants to get some fresh mustard.
9. What is the wild story Macha first tells Fillmore?
(a) That the studio was refusing to release her film.
(b) That her family in Russia were in danger of being shot.
(c) That she had thrown herself in the Seine after her film career stalled.
(d) That her lover had left her for another actress.
10. What does Henry have to tone down on his new job?
(a) His singing
(b) His looking for free meals
(c) His style of dressing
(d) His vocabulary
11. Why does Henry enjoy the company of the photographer?
(a) Because he enjoys posing for him
(b) Because of his thorough knowledge of Paris
(c) Because he always has money
(d) Because he is less intelligent than Henry
12. Why is Fillmore so taken with Macha?
(a) He expects her to fall in love with him.
(b) He thinks she may know a princess for Henry.
(c) He is impressed with her title.
(d) He believes she will make him a duke.
13. What does Henry say is the worst writing job he undertook?
(a) Instruction for assembling kitchen gadgets
(b) Jingles for newspaper ads
(c) A thesis for a deaf and dumb psychologist
(d) Children's stories about a mouse
14. Where do Henry and Fillmore stumble in to get out of the cold?
(a) The Eglise Ste.-Clotilde
(b) The train station
(c) A wax museum
(d) The Dome
15. What is Henry's view of his world?
(a) It is coming back to life.
(b) It is dying of cancer.
(c) It is dying of cancer.
(d) It is getting smaller and smaller.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Van Norden insist that his teeth are all rotten?
2. When Henry is alone with Tania, what does she do?
3. How is Henry greeted by Macha when he first meets her?
4. What is it in Irene's expensive hotel that makes Henry think about Van Norden?
5. What does Van Norden use to bribe Henry into helping him?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)