|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Henry do for a photographer?
(a) He learns to work in his darkroom.
(b) He writes captions for his photographs.
(c) He finds whores for him to photograph.
(d) He poses for pornographic pictures for a German collector.
2. Describe the ridiculous method Fillmore has of getting women into his bedroom.
(a) He shows them the view of the barracks.
(b) He shows them his laundry bag with the slogan, No tickee, no washee.
(c) He wants them to see his etchings.
(d) He asks them to suggest how he should redecorate.
3. What is his idea about his book?
(a) To imitate the best sellers of his day
(b) To give it up because his ideas are too radical
(c) To present a resurrection of emotions
(d) To write only what the public wants to read
4. Who does Henry think is the one lone literary figure America has produced?
5. What is Van Norden's objection to French girls?
(a) They charge too much for their services.
(b) They act as though they are doing him a favor.
(c) They wear too much perfume.
(d) Either they want money or to get married.
6. Why does Henry return to hustling meals and lodging?
(a) He is trying to save his own money.
(b) He doesn't make enough money on his job.
(c) He gets fired from his job.
(d) Nanantatee kicks him out.
7. How does Henry see what he calls the inhuman race of artists?
(a) As standing on high places and ripping out their entrails
(b) As divine angels of light
(c) As being stoned to death my the humans
(d) As being able to sieze the unobtainable.
8. Who urges Henry to run away to Russia with Tania?
9. What was Carl's problem with Irene?
(a) Vinereal diseast
10. What are they looking for in the church when the priest stops them?
(a) The candles
(b) The exit
(c) The collection box
(d) The statue of the Virgin
11. What does Fillmore do when he arrives home from work in the evenings?
(a) He invites Henry out to dinner.
(b) He tells Henry about the women he met that day.
(c) He uncorks some champagne.
(d) He goes to the table to see how many pages Henry has written that day.
12. What historical information does the photographer give to Henry?
(a) The history of the Jews during the Black Death
(b) The unwritten details of Marie Antoinette's beheading
(c) Personal information about great writers he has photographed
(d) The part France played in Columbus's expeditions
13. At three o'clock in the morning, what is going on in Fillmore's apartment?
(a) Henry and Fillmore have two naked trollops romping on the floor.
(b) Macha wakes them up to get her things out of the apartment.
(c) Henry and Fillmore have both fallen asleep with their clothes on.
(d) Henry and Fillmore are deep in metaphysical discussion.
14. What does Henry do after Fillmore leaves for work in the mornings?
(a) He goes for a stroll
(b) He sits at the table and stares at a blank page.
(c) He puts out pages of an old book he wrote years ago
(d) He goes back to sleep, sometimes not getting up before noon.
15. What does Henry want to see in the Pension Orfila?
(a) The bust of Homer
(b) The fabled murals by Picasso
(c) The lavatories with the gold fixtures
(d) The room where Strindberg once lived
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry say is the worst writing job he undertook?
2. How does the reader know how angry the priest is?
3. What does Henry say he knows about in the same way he knows about slaughterhouses and morgues?
4. What effect does Henry think the homeless beggars have on society?
5. What does Henry believe must go along with ideas?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)