|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Fillmore do when he arrives home from work in the evenings?
(a) He uncorks some champagne.
(b) He invites Henry out to dinner.
(c) He tells Henry about the women he met that day.
(d) He goes to the table to see how many pages Henry has written that day.
2. How does Henry make a little extra money while he is at Fillmore's place?
(a) He sells some of the pornographic pictures he posed for.
(b) He pawns things Fillmore would probably not miss.
(c) Occasionally Carl comes by with a writing assignment he does not want to do himself.
(d) He does more nude modeling for Swift.
3. How does the blond woman react to Henry's offer of fifty francs?
(a) She screams out that he is a miser.
(b) She accepts it with gratitude.
(c) She is insulted and Henry fears she might make a scene.
(d) She laughs in his face and makes him ashamed.
4. What are they looking for in the church when the priest stops them?
(a) The statue of the Virgin
(b) The candles
(c) The exit
(d) The collection box
5. What does Henry think of when he is nursing old wounds on his way to Dijon?
(a) The death of Mona in America
(b) Things he might have said
(c) Friends who let him down
(d) All the mistakes he has made
6. Why could Henry never show Mona the Paris he loves?
(a) Mona never stays long enough for him to do it.
(b) It can only be seen through loneliness and hunger.
(c) He cannot take her to the places like the Dome.
(d) The Paris he loves is only in his mind.
7. What does Henry suggest is the task of the artist?
(a) To give the public what it wants
(b) To create something of his own out of the chaos around him
(c) To make bloated pages and erase petty intrusions
(d) To present only the beauty of the world
8. Why had Henry always tolerated Boris?
(a) For food and pin money
(b) For Brois's connections
(c) Because Brosi lived himso much
(d) Because he was close to tania
9. What does Mona never understand about Henry?
(a) His philandering ways
(b) His attraction for Paris
(c) His gutter vocabulary
(d) His need to write
10. What is the wild story Macha first tells Fillmore?
(a) That her lover had left her for another actress.
(b) That the studio was refusing to release her film.
(c) That she had thrown herself in the Seine after her film career stalled.
(d) That her family in Russia were in danger of being shot.
11. What does Henry realize the moment he gets off the train in Dijon?
(a) That he is excited to have a job.
(b) That Dijon is exactly like Paris.
(c) That Dijon will be peaceful and good for him.
(d) That he had made a big mistake.
12. What does Henry do after Fillmore leaves for work in the mornings?
(a) He sits at the table and stares at a blank page.
(b) He goes for a stroll
(c) He goes back to sleep, sometimes not getting up before noon.
(d) He puts out pages of an old book he wrote years ago
13. What kind of work is Henry doing that is not very creative?
(a) Making ad layouts
(c) Book binding
(d) Writing jingles
14. What does Henry want to see in the Pension Orfila?
(a) The fabled murals by Picasso
(b) The room where Strindberg once lived
(c) The bust of Homer
(d) The lavatories with the gold fixtures
15. What does Van Norden call everyone?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Van Norden not want to go to the Dome?
2. Why does Henry enjoy the company of the photographer?
3. What is the best thing Henry notes about Kruger, the painter and sculptor?
4. What is his idea about his book?
5. Who do Kruger and Swift recommend as a good friend for Henry?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)