|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What effect does Henry think the homeless beggars have on society?
(a) They make us bleed for five minutes, that is all.
(b) They frighten us in the dark.
(c) They make us count our blessings.
(d) They make us change the world.
2. What favor does Van Norden want Henry to do for him?
(a) Procure virgins for him.
(b) Go with the mother of a girl he has lined up for his night off.
(c) Write a love letter for him.
(d) Teach him how to find a rich wife.
3. Why had Henry gone in to see a Rabbi?
(a) He thought the synagogue was a school.
(b) He was looking for a Jewish friend.
(c) He thought Jews would be more generous than Christians.
(d) He wanted instruction to become a Jew.
4. What does Henry see as the only faults of Swift's mistress and model?
(a) She has a great body but a hideously ugly face.
(b) She has lost her shape and her ability to support Mark anymore.
(c) She is a bad cook.
(d) She demands too much of Mark.
5. What does Macha do immediately when she sees that two men live at Fillmore's place?
(a) She sizes up which one has the money.
(b) She begins to try and play them against each other.
(c) She informs them that she is not that kind of woman.
(d) She gets frightened and leaves.
6. What does Fillmore leave for Henry every morning after he moves in?
(a) Blank paper and a filled pen
(b) Breakfast in bedFrech coffee and croissants
(c) A book to read
(d) A ten franc note
7. What is it in Irene's expensive hotel that makes Henry think about Van Norden?
(a) Seeing a prostitute he had once pointed out ot Henry
(b) All the rich Englishwomen there
(c) The revolving door
(d) A young virgin coming in as he is going out
8. What does Henry have to tone down on his new job?
(a) His style of dressing
(b) His singing
(c) His vocabulary
(d) His looking for free meals
9. What is Henry's curious speculation about Mona?
(a) He wonders if they will ever be together again.
(b) He wonders if she has gotten fat.
(c) He wonders if she ever thinks about him.
(d) He wonders why she does not send him more money.
10. Who do Kruger and Swift recommend as a good friend for Henry?
(a) Peckover, a proofreader
(b) Ives, a French surrealist painter
(c) Fillmore, an American attache
(d) Ivan, a Russian furrier
11. What does Henry have to learn to do in his new job?
(a) Operate a printing press
(b) Kiss the boss' ass
(c) Write obituaries
(d) Make coffee
12. Who does Henry think is the one lone literary figure America has produced?
13. How is Henry surprised by the blonde woman's action in bed?
(a) He is startled when she reaches up and turns out the lights.
(b) He cannot believe how accomplished she is.
(c) He fears that she is going to substitute her mother in the bed.
(d) He is amazed that she refuses to remove her kimono.
14. Who is the spiritual minded person Henry meets through the photographer?
(a) The Dalai Lama
(b) Anise Nin
15. Describe the ridiculous method Fillmore has of getting women into his bedroom.
(a) He asks them to suggest how he should redecorate.
(b) He shows them the view of the barracks.
(c) He wants them to see his etchings.
(d) He shows them his laundry bag with the slogan, No tickee, no washee.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Henry plan to spend on the blonde woman?
2. What city in America does Henry recall on the way to Dijon?
3. What are they looking for in the church when the priest stops them?
4. What was Carl's problem with Irene?
5. At three o'clock in the morning, what is going on in Fillmore's apartment?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)