|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For whom does Henry do some ghost writing?
(a) The owner of the Dome
(b) A german he met through Elsa
(c) A Jewish fur merchant
(d) A Russian art dealer
2. What does Henry do after Fillmore leaves for work in the mornings?
(a) He goes for a stroll
(b) He goes back to sleep, sometimes not getting up before noon.
(c) He sits at the table and stares at a blank page.
(d) He puts out pages of an old book he wrote years ago
3. What effect does Henry think the homeless beggars have on society?
(a) They make us bleed for five minutes, that is all.
(b) They frighten us in the dark.
(c) They make us count our blessings.
(d) They make us change the world.
4. What is the wild story Macha first tells Fillmore?
(a) That the studio was refusing to release her film.
(b) That her lover had left her for another actress.
(c) That she had thrown herself in the Seine after her film career stalled.
(d) That her family in Russia were in danger of being shot.
5. How does Henry see what he calls the inhuman race of artists?
(a) As standing on high places and ripping out their entrails
(b) As being stoned to death my the humans
(c) As divine angels of light
(d) As being able to sieze the unobtainable.
6. How does the reader know how angry the priest is?
(a) He shouts surses at Henry and Fillmore.
(b) The veins pop out on his temples.
(c) He is jumping up and down just outside the door.
(d) He chases Henry and Fillmore outside, shaking his fist.
7. What does Henry have to tone down on his new job?
(a) His vocabulary
(b) His looking for free meals
(c) His singing
(d) His style of dressing
8. After losing his job, what do Carl and Van Norden keep asking Henry?
(a) Where are you going to find another job?
(b) Why don't you go back to America?
(c) What will you do it your wife returns to Paris?
(d) Who will take you in since you've been through all your friends?
9. What is his idea about his book?
(a) To give it up because his ideas are too radical
(b) To imitate the best sellers of his day
(c) To write only what the public wants to read
(d) To present a resurrection of emotions
10. Who urges Henry to run away to Russia with Tania?
11. What is Henry's response when the English girl asks for a loan of fifteen or twenty francs?
(a) He gives her fifty francs.
(b) He laughs in her face.
(c) He insists that she go to bed with him.
(d) He runs away from her.
12. What is Henry's opinion about the war games that take place at the barracks next to Fillmore's place?
(a) He thinks they are depressing and utterly ridiculous.
(b) He thinks they are quite entertaining.
(c) He thinks that maybe he sould join the French Foriegn Legion.
(d) He thinks that it makes him feel safe to be in France.
13. What weakness appears in Henry as he plans how to use the money given to him?
(a) He cannot pass up the French pastries at the bakery.
(b) He finds a budget place to live but shells out money to women.
(c) He buys new clothes and goes to the opera.
(d) He buys expensive liquour and invites Fillmore over.
14. What was Carl's problem with Irene?
(b) Vinereal diseast
15. How long does it take before Irene agrees to meet Carl in her hotel?
(a) Over a year
(b) The end of the year
(c) Only a few weeks
(d) About six months
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Henry and Fillmore become conspicuous in the church?
2. What does Henry say Van Norden tracks down like a sleuth?
3. What happens to Peckover that may benefit Henry?
4. What historical information does the photographer give to Henry?
5. One place has a good room but why does he not take it?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)