|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Macha do immediately when she sees that two men live at Fillmore's place?
(a) She sizes up which one has the money.
(b) She gets frightened and leaves.
(c) She informs them that she is not that kind of woman.
(d) She begins to try and play them against each other.
2. What is the best thing Henry notes about Kruger, the painter and sculptor?
(a) He is unbelievably wealthy.
(b) He is also a great chef.
(c) He is a splendid housekeeper.
(d) He has many contacts in the publishing world.
3. What is Henry's view of his world?
(a) It is coming back to life.
(b) It is dying of cancer.
(c) It is getting smaller and smaller.
(d) It is dying of cancer.
4. How does the blond woman react to Henry's offer of fifty francs?
(a) She screams out that he is a miser.
(b) She accepts it with gratitude.
(c) She laughs in his face and makes him ashamed.
(d) She is insulted and Henry fears she might make a scene.
5. Who does Henry think is the one lone literary figure America has produced?
6. What does Henry want to see in the Pension Orfila?
(a) The room where Strindberg once lived
(b) The lavatories with the gold fixtures
(c) The bust of Homer
(d) The fabled murals by Picasso
7. How much does Henry plan to spend on the blonde woman?
(a) He plans to get her to bed him for free.
(b) He plans to spend over a hundred francs.
(c) He plans to spend only fifty francs.
(d) He plans to offer to let her move in with him.
8. Who used to call Henry a great human being?
9. Who gives Henry the money he has upon returning from Le Havre?
10. How does Henry make a little extra money while he is at Fillmore's place?
(a) Occasionally Carl comes by with a writing assignment he does not want to do himself.
(b) He pawns things Fillmore would probably not miss.
(c) He does more nude modeling for Swift.
(d) He sells some of the pornographic pictures he posed for.
11. What is Henry's response when the English girl asks for a loan of fifteen or twenty francs?
(a) He gives her fifty francs.
(b) He insists that she go to bed with him.
(c) He laughs in her face.
(d) He runs away from her.
12. How does the reader know how angry the priest is?
(a) He shouts surses at Henry and Fillmore.
(b) The veins pop out on his temples.
(c) He is jumping up and down just outside the door.
(d) He chases Henry and Fillmore outside, shaking his fist.
13. What does Henry think of when he is nursing old wounds on his way to Dijon?
(a) Things he might have said
(b) All the mistakes he has made
(c) The death of Mona in America
(d) Friends who let him down
14. What is Van Norden's objection to French girls?
(a) Either they want money or to get married.
(b) They act as though they are doing him a favor.
(c) They wear too much perfume.
(d) They charge too much for their services.
15. Why could Henry never show Mona the Paris he loves?
(a) Mona never stays long enough for him to do it.
(b) It can only be seen through loneliness and hunger.
(c) The Paris he loves is only in his mind.
(d) He cannot take her to the places like the Dome.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does it take before Irene agrees to meet Carl in her hotel?
2. What is the wild story Macha first tells Fillmore?
3. Who is the spiritual minded person Henry meets through the photographer?
4. For whom does Henry do some ghost writing?
5. How does the English woman react when Henry suggests going to a hotel?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)