|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens in the place where Macha is known and has her hand kissed repeatedly?
(a) Macha confesses that she is not a real princess.
(b) Macha gets drunk and agrees to go to bed with Fillmore.
(c) Macha goes to make a phone call and never returns.
(d) Macha refuses to leave with Fillmore.
2. What kind of work is Henry doing that is not very creative?
(a) Making ad layouts
(b) Writing jingles
(c) Book binding
3. What does Henry think will happen to the world if someone really writes his true thoughts and experiences?
(a) The world will destruct.
(b) The world will only sigh and go to sleep.
(c) The world will reawaken.
(d) The world will g on turning.
4. How does Henry make a little extra money while he is at Fillmore's place?
(a) He does more nude modeling for Swift.
(b) He sells some of the pornographic pictures he posed for.
(c) He pawns things Fillmore would probably not miss.
(d) Occasionally Carl comes by with a writing assignment he does not want to do himself.
5. What is Henry's assessment of Mark Swift?
(a) He is talentless but determined.
(b) If not a genius, he is certainly eccentric.
(c) He keeps Henry in money for posing nude for him.
(d) He is madly in love with his artist wife.
6. What does Mona never understand about Henry?
(a) His need to write
(b) His philandering ways
(c) His attraction for Paris
(d) His gutter vocabulary
7. What are the physical ailments of the people in Fillmore's apartment?
(a) Macha give the clap to both Fillmore and Henry.
(b) Macha falls and breaks her arm, Fillmore cartches cold, and Henry has the measles.
(c) Fillmore has bronchitis, Macha has the clap, and Henry has piles.
(d) They all come down with influenza.
8. For whom does Henry do some ghost writing?
(a) The owner of the Dome
(b) A Jewish fur merchant
(c) A german he met through Elsa
(d) A Russian art dealer
9. How does the English woman react when Henry suggests going to a hotel?
(a) She charges an outlandish price.
(b) She slaps his face.
(c) She tells him she is not that sort of girl.
(d) She turns and runs away.
10. What is his idea about his book?
(a) To write only what the public wants to read
(b) To imitate the best sellers of his day
(c) To give it up because his ideas are too radical
(d) To present a resurrection of emotions
11. What is Van Norden's objection to French girls?
(a) They act as though they are doing him a favor.
(b) They charge too much for their services.
(c) They wear too much perfume.
(d) Either they want money or to get married.
12. What is it in Irene's expensive hotel that makes Henry think about Van Norden?
(a) A young virgin coming in as he is going out
(b) Seeing a prostitute he had once pointed out ot Henry
(c) The revolving door
(d) All the rich Englishwomen there
13. What does Fillmore do when he arrives home from work in the evenings?
(a) He uncorks some champagne.
(b) He goes to the table to see how many pages Henry has written that day.
(c) He invites Henry out to dinner.
(d) He tells Henry about the women he met that day.
14. What does Fillmore leave for Henry every morning after he moves in?
(a) Breakfast in bedFrech coffee and croissants
(b) A book to read
(c) A ten franc note
(d) Blank paper and a filled pen
15. Who does Henry think is the one lone literary figure America has produced?
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Henry plan to spend on the blonde woman?
2. What is Henry's response when the English girl asks for a loan of fifteen or twenty francs?
3. Why had Henry always tolerated Boris?
4. What does Van Norden use to bribe Henry into helping him?
5. How do Henry and Fillmore become conspicuous in the church?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)