|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are they looking for in the church when the priest stops them?
(a) The exit
(b) The collection box
(c) The statue of the Virgin
(d) The candles
2. What is the wild story Macha first tells Fillmore?
(a) That her lover had left her for another actress.
(b) That her family in Russia were in danger of being shot.
(c) That the studio was refusing to release her film.
(d) That she had thrown herself in the Seine after her film career stalled.
3. What are the physical ailments of the people in Fillmore's apartment?
(a) Macha falls and breaks her arm, Fillmore cartches cold, and Henry has the measles.
(b) Fillmore has bronchitis, Macha has the clap, and Henry has piles.
(c) Macha give the clap to both Fillmore and Henry.
(d) They all come down with influenza.
4. What happens to Peckover that may benefit Henry?
(a) Peckover is fired and Henry may get the job.
(b) Peckover is getting a riase and will be able to help Henry.
(c) Peckover died and Henry may be mentioned in his will.
(d) Peckover is transferred to Dijon and may take Henry with him.
5. Why is Henry going to Dijon?
(a) He wants to get out of Paris for a while.
(b) He wants to get some fresh mustard.
(c) He has accepted a non-paying job at the University.
(d) He was invited to visit Collins.
6. Where do Henry and Fillmore stumble in to get out of the cold?
(a) A wax museum
(b) The Dome
(c) The train station
(d) The Eglise Ste.-Clotilde
7. How does the reader know how angry the priest is?
(a) He is jumping up and down just outside the door.
(b) The veins pop out on his temples.
(c) He shouts surses at Henry and Fillmore.
(d) He chases Henry and Fillmore outside, shaking his fist.
8. What is Van Norden's objection to French girls?
(a) They charge too much for their services.
(b) They wear too much perfume.
(c) Either they want money or to get married.
(d) They act as though they are doing him a favor.
9. How is Henry greeted by Macha when he first meets her?
(a) She comes to the door wearing only a filmy negligee.
(b) She says, "So you're the writer."
(c) She looks at him imperiously and asks if he's the butler.
(d) She refuses to recognize his presence.
10. What does Henry think of when he is nursing old wounds on his way to Dijon?
(a) Things he might have said
(b) The death of Mona in America
(c) Friends who let him down
(d) All the mistakes he has made
11. Why does Henry enjoy the company of the photographer?
(a) Because he is less intelligent than Henry
(b) Because of his thorough knowledge of Paris
(c) Because he always has money
(d) Because he enjoys posing for him
12. Why is Fillmore so taken with Macha?
(a) He expects her to fall in love with him.
(b) He is impressed with her title.
(c) He thinks she may know a princess for Henry.
(d) He believes she will make him a duke.
13. How do Henry and Fillmore become conspicuous in the church?
(a) Laughing out loud
(b) Not knowing what to do with Holy Water
(c) Walking around and making callous remarks
(d) Having a coughing fit
14. How does the blond woman react to Henry's offer of fifty francs?
(a) She accepts it with gratitude.
(b) She laughs in his face and makes him ashamed.
(c) She screams out that he is a miser.
(d) She is insulted and Henry fears she might make a scene.
15. Who urges Henry to run away to Russia with Tania?
Short Answer Questions
1. What finally gets the Russian princess out of Fillmore's apartment?
2. Why had Henry always tolerated Boris?
3. How does Henry make the decision to go to the blonde woman's apartment?
4. What city in America does Henry recall on the way to Dijon?
5. What historical information does the photographer give to Henry?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)