|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Fillmore leave for Henry every morning after he moves in?
(a) Blank paper and a filled pen
(b) A book to read
(c) Breakfast in bedFrech coffee and croissants
(d) A ten franc note
2. Who does Henry think is the one lone literary figure America has produced?
3. What are the physical ailments of the people in Fillmore's apartment?
(a) Fillmore has bronchitis, Macha has the clap, and Henry has piles.
(b) Macha give the clap to both Fillmore and Henry.
(c) Macha falls and breaks her arm, Fillmore cartches cold, and Henry has the measles.
(d) They all come down with influenza.
4. How is Henry greeted by Macha when he first meets her?
(a) She refuses to recognize his presence.
(b) She says, "So you're the writer."
(c) She looks at him imperiously and asks if he's the butler.
(d) She comes to the door wearing only a filmy negligee.
5. How does the reader know how angry the priest is?
(a) He is jumping up and down just outside the door.
(b) The veins pop out on his temples.
(c) He shouts surses at Henry and Fillmore.
(d) He chases Henry and Fillmore outside, shaking his fist.
6. What does the priest do with them?
(a) He holds them for the police.
(b) He sits them down and gives them a lecture.
(c) He throws them out into the cold.
(d) He gives them money to leave.
7. What weakness appears in Henry as he plans how to use the money given to him?
(a) He buys expensive liquour and invites Fillmore over.
(b) He finds a budget place to live but shells out money to women.
(c) He buys new clothes and goes to the opera.
(d) He cannot pass up the French pastries at the bakery.
8. How does Henry make a little extra money while he is at Fillmore's place?
(a) He does more nude modeling for Swift.
(b) Occasionally Carl comes by with a writing assignment he does not want to do himself.
(c) He pawns things Fillmore would probably not miss.
(d) He sells some of the pornographic pictures he posed for.
9. What does Henry have to tone down on his new job?
(a) His singing
(b) His vocabulary
(c) His style of dressing
(d) His looking for free meals
10. What was Carl's problem with Irene?
(d) Vinereal diseast
11. What kind of work is Henry doing that is not very creative?
(a) Making ad layouts
(b) Book binding
(c) Writing jingles
12. What effect does Henry think the homeless beggars have on society?
(a) They make us count our blessings.
(b) They frighten us in the dark.
(c) They make us bleed for five minutes, that is all.
(d) They make us change the world.
13. What does Henry say Van Norden tracks down like a sleuth?
(a) Married women
(c) Cheap prostitutes
(d) Rich women
14. Where do Henry and Fillmore stumble in to get out of the cold?
(a) The Eglise Ste.-Clotilde
(b) The Dome
(c) A wax museum
(d) The train station
15. What city in America does Henry recall on the way to Dijon?
(a) Salt Lake city, Utah
(b) Jacksonville, Florida
(c) Los angeles, California
(d) Austin, Texas
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry see as the only faults of Swift's mistress and model?
2. What does Henry say he knows about in the same way he knows about slaughterhouses and morgues?
3. Where do Henry and Tania go that he has never been before?
4. What does Henry have to learn to do in his new job?
5. Why does Henry enjoy the company of the photographer?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)