|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the best thing Henry notes about Kruger, the painter and sculptor?
(a) He has many contacts in the publishing world.
(b) He is also a great chef.
(c) He is unbelievably wealthy.
(d) He is a splendid housekeeper.
2. What does Henry suggest is the task of the artist?
(a) To give the public what it wants
(b) To present only the beauty of the world
(c) To make bloated pages and erase petty intrusions
(d) To create something of his own out of the chaos around him
3. What is the story the blonde woman tells Henry through her tears?
(a) She says she is about to be evicted from her rooms.
(b) She says she has recently buried her child.
(c) She says her daughter is in the hsopital.
(d) She says she is being blackmailed.
4. When Henry is alone with Tania, what does she do?
(a) She talks about divorcing Sylvester and marrying Carl.
(b) She agrees to sleep with him.
(c) She lets Henry see her without makeup.
(d) She chews his ear off about Russia.
5. Why had Henry always tolerated Boris?
(a) Because he was close to tania
(b) Because Brosi lived himso much
(c) For food and pin money
(d) For Brois's connections
6. For whom does Henry do some ghost writing?
(a) A Jewish fur merchant
(b) A german he met through Elsa
(c) The owner of the Dome
(d) A Russian art dealer
7. What is Van Norden's objection to French girls?
(a) Either they want money or to get married.
(b) They wear too much perfume.
(c) They charge too much for their services.
(d) They act as though they are doing him a favor.
8. What does Henry have to learn to do in his new job?
(a) Make coffee
(b) Kiss the boss' ass
(c) Operate a printing press
(d) Write obituaries
9. After losing his job, what do Carl and Van Norden keep asking Henry?
(a) Why don't you go back to America?
(b) What will you do it your wife returns to Paris?
(c) Where are you going to find another job?
(d) Who will take you in since you've been through all your friends?
10. How do Fillmore and Henry deal with the cold flat?
(a) They sip hot toddies.
(b) The burn the furniture.
(c) They leave and go visit Carl.
(d) They sleep in the same bed.
11. What city in America does Henry recall on the way to Dijon?
(a) Austin, Texas
(b) Salt Lake city, Utah
(c) Jacksonville, Florida
(d) Los angeles, California
12. What does Henry have to tone down on his new job?
(a) His style of dressing
(b) His vocabulary
(c) His singing
(d) His looking for free meals
13. What does Henry want to see in the Pension Orfila?
(a) The bust of Homer
(b) The fabled murals by Picasso
(c) The room where Strindberg once lived
(d) The lavatories with the gold fixtures
14. What was Carl's problem with Irene?
(b) Vinereal diseast
15. Describe the ridiculous method Fillmore has of getting women into his bedroom.
(a) He wants them to see his etchings.
(b) He asks them to suggest how he should redecorate.
(c) He shows them his laundry bag with the slogan, No tickee, no washee.
(d) He shows them the view of the barracks.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Henry writing letters to Irene?
2. How does the reader know how angry the priest is?
3. What does Van Norden call everyone?
4. How does Henry see what he calls the inhuman race of artists?
5. At the blonde woman's apartment, what feeling does Henry have when she goes to see her sick mother?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)