|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Henry's curious speculation about Mona?
(a) He wonders if they will ever be together again.
(b) He wonders why she does not send him more money.
(c) He wonders if she ever thinks about him.
(d) He wonders if she has gotten fat.
2. How do Henry and Fillmore become conspicuous in the church?
(a) Not knowing what to do with Holy Water
(b) Laughing out loud
(c) Having a coughing fit
(d) Walking around and making callous remarks
3. What does Van Norden call everyone?
4. What are the physical ailments of the people in Fillmore's apartment?
(a) They all come down with influenza.
(b) Fillmore has bronchitis, Macha has the clap, and Henry has piles.
(c) Macha falls and breaks her arm, Fillmore cartches cold, and Henry has the measles.
(d) Macha give the clap to both Fillmore and Henry.
5. Who urges Henry to run away to Russia with Tania?
6. What are they looking for in the church when the priest stops them?
(a) The collection box
(b) The candles
(c) The exit
(d) The statue of the Virgin
7. What effect does Henry think the homeless beggars have on society?
(a) They frighten us in the dark.
(b) They make us change the world.
(c) They make us bleed for five minutes, that is all.
(d) They make us count our blessings.
8. What happens in the place where Macha is known and has her hand kissed repeatedly?
(a) Macha gets drunk and agrees to go to bed with Fillmore.
(b) Macha refuses to leave with Fillmore.
(c) Macha goes to make a phone call and never returns.
(d) Macha confesses that she is not a real princess.
9. How does the reader know how angry the priest is?
(a) He shouts surses at Henry and Fillmore.
(b) The veins pop out on his temples.
(c) He chases Henry and Fillmore outside, shaking his fist.
(d) He is jumping up and down just outside the door.
10. What does Henry believe must go along with ideas?
11. Why could Henry never show Mona the Paris he loves?
(a) The Paris he loves is only in his mind.
(b) He cannot take her to the places like the Dome.
(c) Mona never stays long enough for him to do it.
(d) It can only be seen through loneliness and hunger.
12. What does Henry have to tone down on his new job?
(a) His style of dressing
(b) His looking for free meals
(c) His singing
(d) His vocabulary
13. What is his idea about his book?
(a) To present a resurrection of emotions
(b) To write only what the public wants to read
(c) To give it up because his ideas are too radical
(d) To imitate the best sellers of his day
14. What is Henry's response when the English girl asks for a loan of fifteen or twenty francs?
(a) He insists that she go to bed with him.
(b) He runs away from her.
(c) He gives her fifty francs.
(d) He laughs in her face.
15. Why does Van Norden insist that his teeth are all rotten?
(a) Because he lost his toothbrush
(b) Because of the bread in France
(c) Because of the water in Paris
(d) Because his dentist is incompetent
Short Answer Questions
1. One place has a good room but why does he not take it?
2. Why does Van Norden not want to go to the Dome?
3. How is Henry surprised by the blonde woman's action in bed?
4. What is Henry's assessment of Mark Swift?
5. How does the English woman react when Henry suggests going to a hotel?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)