|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the blonde woman's apartment, what feeling does Henry have when she goes to see her sick mother?
(a) He fears that some kind of scam is being pulled on him.
(b) He feels that he is in some kind of drama that will be in the morning papers.
(c) He decides to leave and never come back.
(d) He thinks the woman is holding out for more money.
2. What does Henry realize the moment he gets off the train in Dijon?
(a) That he is excited to have a job.
(b) That Dijon is exactly like Paris.
(c) That Dijon will be peaceful and good for him.
(d) That he had made a big mistake.
3. What does Henry suggest is the task of the artist?
(a) To make bloated pages and erase petty intrusions
(b) To create something of his own out of the chaos around him
(c) To present only the beauty of the world
(d) To give the public what it wants
4. Why had Henry gone in to see a Rabbi?
(a) He thought Jews would be more generous than Christians.
(b) He was looking for a Jewish friend.
(c) He thought the synagogue was a school.
(d) He wanted instruction to become a Jew.
5. Who gives Henry the money he has upon returning from Le Havre?
6. What does Henry do after Fillmore leaves for work in the mornings?
(a) He puts out pages of an old book he wrote years ago
(b) He goes back to sleep, sometimes not getting up before noon.
(c) He sits at the table and stares at a blank page.
(d) He goes for a stroll
7. Where do Henry and Tania go that he has never been before?
(a) The Louvre
(b) The expensive department stores of Paris
(c) The sight seeing trips down the Seine
(d) The swell bars around the Champs-Elysee
8. How is Henry surprised by the blonde woman's action in bed?
(a) He is startled when she reaches up and turns out the lights.
(b) He cannot believe how accomplished she is.
(c) He is amazed that she refuses to remove her kimono.
(d) He fears that she is going to substitute her mother in the bed.
9. What weakness appears in Henry as he plans how to use the money given to him?
(a) He buys expensive liquour and invites Fillmore over.
(b) He finds a budget place to live but shells out money to women.
(c) He buys new clothes and goes to the opera.
(d) He cannot pass up the French pastries at the bakery.
10. What was Carl's problem with Irene?
(b) Vinereal diseast
11. What does the priest do with them?
(a) He holds them for the police.
(b) He gives them money to leave.
(c) He throws them out into the cold.
(d) He sits them down and gives them a lecture.
12. What does Henry do for a photographer?
(a) He finds whores for him to photograph.
(b) He learns to work in his darkroom.
(c) He writes captions for his photographs.
(d) He poses for pornographic pictures for a German collector.
13. What does Fillmore leave for Henry every morning after he moves in?
(a) Breakfast in bedFrech coffee and croissants
(b) A ten franc note
(c) Blank paper and a filled pen
(d) A book to read
14. What is Henry's behavior just before he leaves the blonde woman's room?
(a) He gets very angry that she left him there alone.
(b) He listens for her return and takes back the money he gave her.
(c) He takes his time putting his clothes back on.
(d) He becomes panicky thinking she has gone for the police.
15. Why is Fillmore so taken with Macha?
(a) He expects her to fall in love with him.
(b) He thinks she may know a princess for Henry.
(c) He believes she will make him a duke.
(d) He is impressed with her title.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the best thing Henry notes about Kruger, the painter and sculptor?
2. What does Henry think of when he is nursing old wounds on his way to Dijon?
3. Describe the ridiculous method Fillmore has of getting women into his bedroom.
4. What are the physical ailments of the people in Fillmore's apartment?
5. What city in America does Henry recall on the way to Dijon?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)