|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Van Norden insist that his teeth are all rotten?
(a) Because his dentist is incompetent
(b) Because of the bread in France
(c) Because of the water in Paris
(d) Because he lost his toothbrush
2. What does Henry want to see in the Pension Orfila?
(a) The room where Strindberg once lived
(b) The fabled murals by Picasso
(c) The bust of Homer
(d) The lavatories with the gold fixtures
3. What is Henry's opinion about the war games that take place at the barracks next to Fillmore's place?
(a) He thinks that maybe he sould join the French Foriegn Legion.
(b) He thinks they are quite entertaining.
(c) He thinks they are depressing and utterly ridiculous.
(d) He thinks that it makes him feel safe to be in France.
4. Who do Kruger and Swift recommend as a good friend for Henry?
(a) Ivan, a Russian furrier
(b) Fillmore, an American attache
(c) Peckover, a proofreader
(d) Ives, a French surrealist painter
5. What does Macha do immediately when she sees that two men live at Fillmore's place?
(a) She begins to try and play them against each other.
(b) She gets frightened and leaves.
(c) She sizes up which one has the money.
(d) She informs them that she is not that kind of woman.
6. How does Henry make the decision to go to the blonde woman's apartment?
(a) He thinks it will be cheaper than paying for a hotel room.
(b) He thinks that at her place he might suggest moving in with her.
(c) He thinks it will cheer her up if he goes to her place.
(d) He believes she will not sleep with him in a hotel.
7. Who is the spiritual minded person Henry meets through the photographer?
(a) The Dalai Lama
(d) Anise Nin
8. What are the physical ailments of the people in Fillmore's apartment?
(a) Macha give the clap to both Fillmore and Henry.
(b) They all come down with influenza.
(c) Fillmore has bronchitis, Macha has the clap, and Henry has piles.
(d) Macha falls and breaks her arm, Fillmore cartches cold, and Henry has the measles.
9. When Henry is alone with Tania, what does she do?
(a) She agrees to sleep with him.
(b) She lets Henry see her without makeup.
(c) She talks about divorcing Sylvester and marrying Carl.
(d) She chews his ear off about Russia.
10. What does Henry say Van Norden tracks down like a sleuth?
(a) Rich women
(b) Married women
(c) Cheap prostitutes
11. Describe the ridiculous method Fillmore has of getting women into his bedroom.
(a) He shows them his laundry bag with the slogan, No tickee, no washee.
(b) He shows them the view of the barracks.
(c) He wants them to see his etchings.
(d) He asks them to suggest how he should redecorate.
12. At three o'clock in the morning, what is going on in Fillmore's apartment?
(a) Henry and Fillmore are deep in metaphysical discussion.
(b) Macha wakes them up to get her things out of the apartment.
(c) Henry and Fillmore have two naked trollops romping on the floor.
(d) Henry and Fillmore have both fallen asleep with their clothes on.
13. What are they looking for in the church when the priest stops them?
(a) The exit
(b) The statue of the Virgin
(c) The candles
(d) The collection box
14. How do Henry and Fillmore become conspicuous in the church?
(a) Laughing out loud
(b) Having a coughing fit
(c) Not knowing what to do with Holy Water
(d) Walking around and making callous remarks
15. What is his idea about his book?
(a) To write only what the public wants to read
(b) To imitate the best sellers of his day
(c) To give it up because his ideas are too radical
(d) To present a resurrection of emotions
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Henry surprised by the blonde woman's action in bed?
2. What does Henry do after Fillmore leaves for work in the mornings?
3. What does Henry realize the moment he gets off the train in Dijon?
4. What does Henry have to learn to do in his new job?
5. What does Henry think of when he is nursing old wounds on his way to Dijon?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)