|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At three o'clock in the morning, what is going on in Fillmore's apartment?
(a) Macha wakes them up to get her things out of the apartment.
(b) Henry and Fillmore are deep in metaphysical discussion.
(c) Henry and Fillmore have both fallen asleep with their clothes on.
(d) Henry and Fillmore have two naked trollops romping on the floor.
2. Who is the spiritual minded person Henry meets through the photographer?
(b) The Dalai Lama
(c) Anise Nin
3. Why is Fillmore so taken with Macha?
(a) He believes she will make him a duke.
(b) He is impressed with her title.
(c) He thinks she may know a princess for Henry.
(d) He expects her to fall in love with him.
4. What kind of work is Henry doing that is not very creative?
(a) Making ad layouts
(b) Book binding
(d) Writing jingles
5. When Henry is alone with Tania, what does she do?
(a) She lets Henry see her without makeup.
(b) She chews his ear off about Russia.
(c) She agrees to sleep with him.
(d) She talks about divorcing Sylvester and marrying Carl.
6. For whom does Henry do some ghost writing?
(a) A german he met through Elsa
(b) A Russian art dealer
(c) The owner of the Dome
(d) A Jewish fur merchant
7. Why does Henry return to hustling meals and lodging?
(a) Nanantatee kicks him out.
(b) He doesn't make enough money on his job.
(c) He gets fired from his job.
(d) He is trying to save his own money.
8. What effect does Henry think the homeless beggars have on society?
(a) They make us bleed for five minutes, that is all.
(b) They make us change the world.
(c) They make us count our blessings.
(d) They frighten us in the dark.
9. How does the English woman react when Henry suggests going to a hotel?
(a) She charges an outlandish price.
(b) She turns and runs away.
(c) She slaps his face.
(d) She tells him she is not that sort of girl.
10. How does the reader know how angry the priest is?
(a) He shouts surses at Henry and Fillmore.
(b) The veins pop out on his temples.
(c) He is jumping up and down just outside the door.
(d) He chases Henry and Fillmore outside, shaking his fist.
11. What do Henry and Fillmore do when the priest chases them outside?
(a) They hop on a passing bus.
(b) They hide in a dark alley.
(c) They throw snowballs at the priest.
(d) They run as fast as their legs can carry them.
12. Why does Van Norden insist that his teeth are all rotten?
(a) Because his dentist is incompetent
(b) Because of the bread in France
(c) Because of the water in Paris
(d) Because he lost his toothbrush
13. What does Henry think of when he is nursing old wounds on his way to Dijon?
(a) Things he might have said
(b) The death of Mona in America
(c) All the mistakes he has made
(d) Friends who let him down
14. What is Henry's view of his world?
(a) It is dying of cancer.
(b) It is coming back to life.
(c) It is getting smaller and smaller.
(d) It is dying of cancer.
15. What does Van Norden use to bribe Henry into helping him?
(a) A place to write
(b) The promise of a meal now and then
(c) His black book of names of girls who have sex for free
(d) A few hundred francs
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Henry enjoy the company of the photographer?
2. What does Van Norden call everyone?
3. What is Henry's response when the English girl asks for a loan of fifteen or twenty francs?
4. What happens in the place where Macha is known and has her hand kissed repeatedly?
5. What does Henry say he knows about in the same way he knows about slaughterhouses and morgues?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)