|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Henry suggest is the task of the artist?
(a) To give the public what it wants
(b) To create something of his own out of the chaos around him
(c) To present only the beauty of the world
(d) To make bloated pages and erase petty intrusions
2. What does Henry see as the only faults of Swift's mistress and model?
(a) She is a bad cook.
(b) She has lost her shape and her ability to support Mark anymore.
(c) She demands too much of Mark.
(d) She has a great body but a hideously ugly face.
3. How do Fillmore and Henry deal with the cold flat?
(a) They sleep in the same bed.
(b) They sip hot toddies.
(c) They leave and go visit Carl.
(d) The burn the furniture.
4. What happens to Henry under the pressure of his job?
(a) He forgets about sex.
(b) He gets indigestion when he eats.
(c) He breaks out in hives.
(d) He becomes neurotic.
5. Why is Fillmore so taken with Macha?
(a) He believes she will make him a duke.
(b) He expects her to fall in love with him.
(c) He is impressed with her title.
(d) He thinks she may know a princess for Henry.
6. When Henry is alone with Tania, what does she do?
(a) She chews his ear off about Russia.
(b) She talks about divorcing Sylvester and marrying Carl.
(c) She lets Henry see her without makeup.
(d) She agrees to sleep with him.
7. Why does Henry return to hustling meals and lodging?
(a) He doesn't make enough money on his job.
(b) He gets fired from his job.
(c) He is trying to save his own money.
(d) Nanantatee kicks him out.
8. What is it in Irene's expensive hotel that makes Henry think about Van Norden?
(a) A young virgin coming in as he is going out
(b) Seeing a prostitute he had once pointed out ot Henry
(c) The revolving door
(d) All the rich Englishwomen there
9. What is Van Norden's objection to French girls?
(a) Either they want money or to get married.
(b) They wear too much perfume.
(c) They act as though they are doing him a favor.
(d) They charge too much for their services.
10. What is Henry's behavior just before he leaves the blonde woman's room?
(a) He becomes panicky thinking she has gone for the police.
(b) He gets very angry that she left him there alone.
(c) He listens for her return and takes back the money he gave her.
(d) He takes his time putting his clothes back on.
11. What does Henry say he knows about in the same way he knows about slaughterhouses and morgues?
(a) The Catholic mass
(c) How to form lasting friendships
12. What historical information does the photographer give to Henry?
(a) The part France played in Columbus's expeditions
(b) The unwritten details of Marie Antoinette's beheading
(c) Personal information about great writers he has photographed
(d) The history of the Jews during the Black Death
13. What kind of work is Henry doing that is not very creative?
(b) Book binding
(c) Writing jingles
(d) Making ad layouts
14. What does Mona never understand about Henry?
(a) His philandering ways
(b) His attraction for Paris
(c) His gutter vocabulary
(d) His need to write
15. Why had Henry gone in to see a Rabbi?
(a) He wanted instruction to become a Jew.
(b) He thought the synagogue was a school.
(c) He was looking for a Jewish friend.
(d) He thought Jews would be more generous than Christians.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry say is the worst writing job he undertook?
2. At three o'clock in the morning, what is going on in Fillmore's apartment?
3. Where do Henry and Tania go that he has never been before?
4. What happens to Peckover that may benefit Henry?
5. What is the best thing Henry notes about Kruger, the painter and sculptor?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)