|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Fillmore so taken with Macha?
(a) He thinks she may know a princess for Henry.
(b) He is impressed with her title.
(c) He believes she will make him a duke.
(d) He expects her to fall in love with him.
2. What historical information does the photographer give to Henry?
(a) The history of the Jews during the Black Death
(b) The part France played in Columbus's expeditions
(c) Personal information about great writers he has photographed
(d) The unwritten details of Marie Antoinette's beheading
3. What does Mona never understand about Henry?
(a) His gutter vocabulary
(b) His need to write
(c) His philandering ways
(d) His attraction for Paris
4. For whom does Henry do some ghost writing?
(a) A Russian art dealer
(b) A Jewish fur merchant
(c) A german he met through Elsa
(d) The owner of the Dome
5. What does Henry suggest is the task of the artist?
(a) To create something of his own out of the chaos around him
(b) To give the public what it wants
(c) To make bloated pages and erase petty intrusions
(d) To present only the beauty of the world
6. What does Henry believe must go along with ideas?
7. What is the wild story Macha first tells Fillmore?
(a) That the studio was refusing to release her film.
(b) That her family in Russia were in danger of being shot.
(c) That her lover had left her for another actress.
(d) That she had thrown herself in the Seine after her film career stalled.
8. What does Fillmore do when he arrives home from work in the evenings?
(a) He uncorks some champagne.
(b) He invites Henry out to dinner.
(c) He tells Henry about the women he met that day.
(d) He goes to the table to see how many pages Henry has written that day.
9. At three o'clock in the morning, what is going on in Fillmore's apartment?
(a) Henry and Fillmore have both fallen asleep with their clothes on.
(b) Henry and Fillmore have two naked trollops romping on the floor.
(c) Henry and Fillmore are deep in metaphysical discussion.
(d) Macha wakes them up to get her things out of the apartment.
10. What does Henry see as the only faults of Swift's mistress and model?
(a) She demands too much of Mark.
(b) She has lost her shape and her ability to support Mark anymore.
(c) She is a bad cook.
(d) She has a great body but a hideously ugly face.
11. What favor does Van Norden want Henry to do for him?
(a) Teach him how to find a rich wife.
(b) Write a love letter for him.
(c) Procure virgins for him.
(d) Go with the mother of a girl he has lined up for his night off.
12. What is the story the blonde woman tells Henry through her tears?
(a) She says she is about to be evicted from her rooms.
(b) She says she has recently buried her child.
(c) She says she is being blackmailed.
(d) She says her daughter is in the hsopital.
13. Why had Henry gone in to see a Rabbi?
(a) He wanted instruction to become a Jew.
(b) He thought Jews would be more generous than Christians.
(c) He thought the synagogue was a school.
(d) He was looking for a Jewish friend.
14. How long does it take before Irene agrees to meet Carl in her hotel?
(a) Over a year
(b) The end of the year
(c) About six months
(d) Only a few weeks
15. What city in America does Henry recall on the way to Dijon?
(a) Austin, Texas
(b) Los angeles, California
(c) Jacksonville, Florida
(d) Salt Lake city, Utah
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Henry's opinion about the war games that take place at the barracks next to Fillmore's place?
2. When Henry is alone with Tania, what does she do?
3. What is the best thing Henry notes about Kruger, the painter and sculptor?
4. Why is Henry going to Dijon?
5. Describe the ridiculous method Fillmore has of getting women into his bedroom.
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)