|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What finally gets the Russian princess out of Fillmore's apartment?
(a) The police come for Macha.
(b) Macha gets her inheritance.
(c) Macha is hospitalized.
(d) The cold makes Macha leave.
2. How does the English woman react when Henry suggests going to a hotel?
(a) She charges an outlandish price.
(b) She tells him she is not that sort of girl.
(c) She slaps his face.
(d) She turns and runs away.
3. Describe the ridiculous method Fillmore has of getting women into his bedroom.
(a) He asks them to suggest how he should redecorate.
(b) He shows them the view of the barracks.
(c) He wants them to see his etchings.
(d) He shows them his laundry bag with the slogan, No tickee, no washee.
4. How does Henry see what he calls the inhuman race of artists?
(a) As divine angels of light
(b) As being able to sieze the unobtainable.
(c) As standing on high places and ripping out their entrails
(d) As being stoned to death my the humans
5. How does the reader know how angry the priest is?
(a) He shouts surses at Henry and Fillmore.
(b) He is jumping up and down just outside the door.
(c) The veins pop out on his temples.
(d) He chases Henry and Fillmore outside, shaking his fist.
6. What does Van Norden use to bribe Henry into helping him?
(a) A few hundred francs
(b) The promise of a meal now and then
(c) His black book of names of girls who have sex for free
(d) A place to write
7. What happens in the place where Macha is known and has her hand kissed repeatedly?
(a) Macha refuses to leave with Fillmore.
(b) Macha confesses that she is not a real princess.
(c) Macha gets drunk and agrees to go to bed with Fillmore.
(d) Macha goes to make a phone call and never returns.
8. What are they looking for in the church when the priest stops them?
(a) The candles
(b) The statue of the Virgin
(c) The collection box
(d) The exit
9. What is Henry's response when the English girl asks for a loan of fifteen or twenty francs?
(a) He insists that she go to bed with him.
(b) He gives her fifty francs.
(c) He runs away from her.
(d) He laughs in her face.
10. What weakness appears in Henry as he plans how to use the money given to him?
(a) He finds a budget place to live but shells out money to women.
(b) He buys expensive liquour and invites Fillmore over.
(c) He cannot pass up the French pastries at the bakery.
(d) He buys new clothes and goes to the opera.
11. Who used to call Henry a great human being?
12. What does Henry do after Fillmore leaves for work in the mornings?
(a) He goes for a stroll
(b) He puts out pages of an old book he wrote years ago
(c) He goes back to sleep, sometimes not getting up before noon.
(d) He sits at the table and stares at a blank page.
13. Why is Henry going to Dijon?
(a) He wants to get out of Paris for a while.
(b) He has accepted a non-paying job at the University.
(c) He wants to get some fresh mustard.
(d) He was invited to visit Collins.
14. One place has a good room but why does he not take it?
(a) He suspects it has bedbugs and fleas, although he never saw them.
(b) To get to his room he would have to pass through a blind man's room.
(c) It is too far away from the places he likes to walk in the evenings.
(d) It is too near Sylvester's apartment and he wants to be far away.
15. At the blonde woman's apartment, what feeling does Henry have when she goes to see her sick mother?
(a) He thinks the woman is holding out for more money.
(b) He feels that he is in some kind of drama that will be in the morning papers.
(c) He fears that some kind of scam is being pulled on him.
(d) He decides to leave and never come back.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Henry and Fillmore do when the priest chases them outside?
2. Who is the spiritual minded person Henry meets through the photographer?
3. Why does Van Norden not want to go to the Dome?
4. What city in America does Henry recall on the way to Dijon?
5. Why does Henry enjoy the company of the photographer?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)