|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Fillmore do when he arrives home from work in the evenings?
(a) He goes to the table to see how many pages Henry has written that day.
(b) He uncorks some champagne.
(c) He invites Henry out to dinner.
(d) He tells Henry about the women he met that day.
2. How does the English woman react when Henry suggests going to a hotel?
(a) She charges an outlandish price.
(b) She turns and runs away.
(c) She tells him she is not that sort of girl.
(d) She slaps his face.
3. What does Henry see as the only faults of Swift's mistress and model?
(a) She has a great body but a hideously ugly face.
(b) She demands too much of Mark.
(c) She has lost her shape and her ability to support Mark anymore.
(d) She is a bad cook.
4. What is it in Irene's expensive hotel that makes Henry think about Van Norden?
(a) A young virgin coming in as he is going out
(b) Seeing a prostitute he had once pointed out ot Henry
(c) The revolving door
(d) All the rich Englishwomen there
5. How does Henry see what he calls the inhuman race of artists?
(a) As being stoned to death my the humans
(b) As being able to sieze the unobtainable.
(c) As standing on high places and ripping out their entrails
(d) As divine angels of light
6. Why is Fillmore so taken with Macha?
(a) He is impressed with her title.
(b) He believes she will make him a duke.
(c) He expects her to fall in love with him.
(d) He thinks she may know a princess for Henry.
7. Where do Henry and Tania go that he has never been before?
(a) The Louvre
(b) The sight seeing trips down the Seine
(c) The expensive department stores of Paris
(d) The swell bars around the Champs-Elysee
8. Why does Van Norden insist that his teeth are all rotten?
(a) Because of the bread in France
(b) Because he lost his toothbrush
(c) Because of the water in Paris
(d) Because his dentist is incompetent
9. Who used to call Henry a great human being?
10. How long does it take before Irene agrees to meet Carl in her hotel?
(a) The end of the year
(b) Over a year
(c) Only a few weeks
(d) About six months
11. What does Henry believe must go along with ideas?
12. Who is the spiritual minded person Henry meets through the photographer?
(c) Anise Nin
(d) The Dalai Lama
13. What does Henry say he knows about in the same way he knows about slaughterhouses and morgues?
(a) The Catholic mass
(d) How to form lasting friendships
14. What kind of work is Henry doing that is not very creative?
(a) Book binding
(c) Making ad layouts
(d) Writing jingles
15. Why does Van Norden not want to go to the Dome?
(a) He owes too much money there.
(b) He was there only last night.
(c) He does not like the decor.
(d) He is tired of going to the Dome.
Short Answer Questions
1. What favor does Van Norden want Henry to do for him?
2. At the blonde woman's apartment, what feeling does Henry have when she goes to see her sick mother?
3. How does Henry make the decision to go to the blonde woman's apartment?
4. What is Henry's assessment of Mark Swift?
5. Where do Henry and Fillmore stumble in to get out of the cold?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)