|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Henry think of when he is nursing old wounds on his way to Dijon?
(a) Things he might have said
(b) Friends who let him down
(c) The death of Mona in America
(d) All the mistakes he has made
2. How long does it take before Irene agrees to meet Carl in her hotel?
(a) About six months
(b) The end of the year
(c) Only a few weeks
(d) Over a year
3. Why is Fillmore so taken with Macha?
(a) He expects her to fall in love with him.
(b) He thinks she may know a princess for Henry.
(c) He believes she will make him a duke.
(d) He is impressed with her title.
4. What does Van Norden use to bribe Henry into helping him?
(a) A few hundred francs
(b) A place to write
(c) His black book of names of girls who have sex for free
(d) The promise of a meal now and then
5. Who urges Henry to run away to Russia with Tania?
6. What does Van Norden call everyone?
7. For whom does Henry do some ghost writing?
(a) A Jewish fur merchant
(b) A Russian art dealer
(c) The owner of the Dome
(d) A german he met through Elsa
8. Why does Henry return to hustling meals and lodging?
(a) He gets fired from his job.
(b) He doesn't make enough money on his job.
(c) He is trying to save his own money.
(d) Nanantatee kicks him out.
9. What was Carl's problem with Irene?
(b) Vinereal diseast
10. Why does Van Norden not want to go to the Dome?
(a) He is tired of going to the Dome.
(b) He owes too much money there.
(c) He was there only last night.
(d) He does not like the decor.
11. What does Henry have to tone down on his new job?
(a) His looking for free meals
(b) His style of dressing
(c) His vocabulary
(d) His singing
12. What is it in Irene's expensive hotel that makes Henry think about Van Norden?
(a) All the rich Englishwomen there
(b) The revolving door
(c) A young virgin coming in as he is going out
(d) Seeing a prostitute he had once pointed out ot Henry
13. What are the physical ailments of the people in Fillmore's apartment?
(a) They all come down with influenza.
(b) Fillmore has bronchitis, Macha has the clap, and Henry has piles.
(c) Macha falls and breaks her arm, Fillmore cartches cold, and Henry has the measles.
(d) Macha give the clap to both Fillmore and Henry.
14. What is Henry's view of his world?
(a) It is dying of cancer.
(b) It is dying of cancer.
(c) It is coming back to life.
(d) It is getting smaller and smaller.
15. How is Henry greeted by Macha when he first meets her?
(a) She comes to the door wearing only a filmy negligee.
(b) She says, "So you're the writer."
(c) She refuses to recognize his presence.
(d) She looks at him imperiously and asks if he's the butler.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry say Van Norden tracks down like a sleuth?
2. What finally gets the Russian princess out of Fillmore's apartment?
3. How is Henry surprised by the blonde woman's action in bed?
4. What is Henry's opinion about the war games that take place at the barracks next to Fillmore's place?
5. Why does Van Norden insist that his teeth are all rotten?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)