|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Henry is writing about Claude, of whom is he really thinking?
2. If Emerson is correct in saying that life consists of what a man thinks, what is Henry at this point?
(a) A satyr
(b) A wine bottle
(c) One long intestine
(d) No words on a blank page
3. How long has Henry's wife, Mona, been gone from Paris?
(a) A year
(b) Several days
(c) A month
(d) Three years
4. Who does Henry believe is undermining him during the last days in Villa Borghese?
(a) Tania, Sylverster's wife
(b) Fanny, Moldorf's wife
(c) Mona, his wife
(d) Elsa, the maid
5. How does Henry describe Elsa's piano playing?
(a) Like divine music
(b) Like broken pots and skulls clanking
(c) Like an out of tune organ
(d) Like wind howling through the trees
6. What happens in Henry's head as Moldorf reads the letter from Fanny, his wife in America?
(a) He thinks about his own wife, Mona
(b) One of his surrealist fantasies
(c) He gets a migraine
(d) He daydreams of flying to America
7. How much money does Henry get from Peckover?
(a) Fifty francs
(b) Ten francs
(c) One franc-fifty
(d) Fifty centimes
8. What is Henry's perception of Mr. Wren, the American artist and writer?
(a) He is a better writer than Henry.
(b) He is someone Henry wants to know better.
(c) He has everything because he has a rich wife.
(d) He makes no sense when he talks.
9. What is the first thing the Hindu religious wants to do?
(a) Visit the Louvre
(b) Climb the Eiffel Tower
(c) Visit a brothel
(d) Set up a lecture schedule
10. What does the young Hindu do before leaving Paris?
(a) Gets drunk
(b) Gets the last of Henry's money
(c) Signs a book deal with a publisher
(d) Visits a brothel again
11. Where does Henry stay warm on a cold Easter morning?
(a) In Eglise Ste.-Clotilde
(b) In the hotel lobby
(c) In bed
(d) In the Dome
12. What surrounds Henry on his walk on the Rue de Buci?
(a) Sidewalk food venders
(b) Police looking at him suspiciously
(c) Beggars asking for food
(d) Hotels and food
13. What does Henry say about Napoleon?
(a) It was not his ideas they wanted; it was his corpse.
(b) He was once what modorf is now.
(c) It was not his military genious; it was his short stature.
(d) He was sabotaged by his own lusts.
14. Who are most of Henry's friends in Paris?
(c) Other Americans
15. In what way does Henry say Carl and Boris are sufferers?
(a) They are hungry and tired.
(b) They are mad and tone deaf.
(c) They are bewitched by words.
(d) They lack self-confidence.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Boris not introduce Henry to the American woman who comes to see the apartment?
2. What does the young Hindu do that upsets the madame?
3. Normally a slob, how does Nanantatee change after Henry moves in?
4. What does Serge offer Henry in exchange for his services?
5. What is Henry thinking about as he walks along the Champs-Elysee?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)