|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Carl say makes him want to go to Arizona?
(a) It is a place where they look you square in the eye.
(b) It is a place where there is lots of space.
(c) It is a place where he can find quiet to write.
(d) It is a good place for his allergies.
2. Why does Henry say that no one ever dies in Paris?
(a) People in Paris only drink wine.
(b) No one stays long enough to die.
(c) You can read the names of famous people written on walls.
(d) Paris never forgets imbecils.
3. What is the first thing the Hindu religious wants to do?
(a) Visit the Louvre
(b) Visit a brothel
(c) Set up a lecture schedule
(d) Climb the Eiffel Tower
4. To torment Carl, what gossip does Marlowe whisper in his ear?
(a) Your apartment building is about to be condemned.
(b) The police are looking for you.
(c) Your favorite girl has the clap.
(d) You're going to lose your job.
5. What makes Henry feel ill when he opens the door of the commune?
(a) The body odor of the Russians
(b) The stale smoke in the room
(c) The smell of disinfectants
(d) The smell of cooking with rancid butter
6. How does Henry picture Serge's lazy slut of a wife?
(a) As a would-be writer with no talent.
(b) As an emaciated American woman with no ambition.
(c) As a fat American lying on the sofa eating bon bons.
(d) As an intelligent, hard working American woman.
7. How does Henry describe Elsa's piano playing?
(a) Like an out of tune organ
(b) Like wind howling through the trees
(c) Like divine music
(d) Like broken pots and skulls clanking
8. How does Henry say he knows Nanantatee?
(a) They met at the Dome.
(b) Boris introduced them.
(c) They met on the ship coming from America.
(d) They met in New York.
9. What happens in Henry's head as Moldorf reads the letter from Fanny, his wife in America?
(a) He daydreams of flying to America
(b) He gets a migraine
(c) He thinks about his own wife, Mona
(d) One of his surrealist fantasies
10. About what does Serge want to learn?
(d) California wines
11. Where does Henry brush against Walter Pach?
(a) In the Dome
(b) In the cinema
(c) In the Tuileries
(d) In the American Express office
12. What lucky find does Henry make in the cafe?
(a) A woman who loves to support artists
(b) A wallet filled with francs
(c) A book by Papini
(d) A ticket to a concert
13. How long has Henry's wife, Mona, been gone from Paris?
(a) A year
(b) Three years
(c) Several days
(d) A month
14. How does Henry slightly disagree with Papini?
(a) Papini flirts with religion; Henry refutes religion.
(b) Papini needs opera; Henry prefers musical comedy.
(c) Papini advises fasting; Henry advises feating.
(d) Papini desires to be alone; Henry wants loneliness.
15. Where is Marlowe about to go?
(a) New York City
(d) San Francisco
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Henry's description of Marlowe?
2. What does the American woman inquire about that astonishes Henry?
3. How does Kelpi make his living?
4. What has Van Norden lost at the Bal Negre?
5. What is Henry's perception of Mr. Wren, the American artist and writer?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)