|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Boris not introduce Henry to the American woman who comes to see the apartment?
(a) Because he hates Henry
(b) Because Henry needs a bath
(c) Because she is beautiful
(d) Because he fears Henry will say the wrong thing
2. What deformity does Henry have in his fantasy at the cinema?
(a) He has a crippled right hand.
(b) He has a club foot.
(c) He has a glass eye.
(d) He is short like Moldorf.
3. On what are Henry and Boris talking about collaborating?
(a) A History of the Left Bank
(b) The Last Book
(c) The End of Innocence
(d) The Death of the World
4. What does Henry buy with the money he takes from Peckover?
(a) A dozen eggs
(b) An American breakfast
(c) Coffee and a croissant
(d) A cheap bottle of wine
5. Why is Henry always looking for a free meal?
(a) He is perpetually hungry.
(b) He wants people to feel sorry for him.
(c) He is too miserly to buy for himself.
(d) He is trying to cut down on his expenses.
6. Why does Henry say that no one ever dies in Paris?
(a) People in Paris only drink wine.
(b) Paris never forgets imbecils.
(c) You can read the names of famous people written on walls.
(d) No one stays long enough to die.
7. In Henry's fantasy about Fanny, what is happening to her?
(a) Something is tickling her.
(b) She is crying hysterically.
(c) She is melting.
(d) She is blowing up li9ke a balloon.
8. When Henry is writing about Claude, of whom is he really thinking?
9. What does Carl say makes him want to go to Arizona?
(a) It is a place where there is lots of space.
(b) It is a good place for his allergies.
(c) It is a place where they look you square in the eye.
(d) It is a place where he can find quiet to write.
10. With what person does Henry compare his writing?
(a) Mona, his wife
(b) Boris, another writer
(c) Moldorf, the dwarf
11. In spite of Marlowe's assurances, what do Carl and Henry know he will not do?
(a) Pay them when he returns
(b) Bring them souvenirs from America
(c) Recommend them for jobs
(d) Write them them every day
12. Normally a slob, how does Nanantatee change after Henry moves in?
(a) He hires a maid.
(b) He becomes excessively clean.
(c) He moves them into a fancy hotel.
(d) He starts picking up after himself.
13. What is Nanantatee's stated profession?
(a) An art critic
(b) A newspaper publisher
(c) A Hindu mystic
(d) A pearl merchant
14. How does Henry say Moldorf hears his own voice?
(a) He hears the monotone of the telegraph lines.
(b) He hears the whisper of the breeze.
(c) He hears the pounding of the suft.
(d) He hears a roar while others hear a squeak.
15. What does Marlowe want Henry and Carl to do during his absence?
(a) Pay his bar bills
(b) Send him money
(c) Stay away from his wife
(d) Write his reviews for the newspaper
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the commune people get money for food?
2. How does Henry picture Serge's lazy slut of a wife?
3. Where has Henry taken the young Hindu for his sexual experience?
4. Having gone all day without anything to eat, what enters Henry's mind?
5. In spite of his hunger, where does Henry hang out in the evenings?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)