|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Henry say Moldorf hears his own voice?
(a) He hears the whisper of the breeze.
(b) He hears the monotone of the telegraph lines.
(c) He hears the pounding of the suft.
(d) He hears a roar while others hear a squeak.
2. What lucky find does Henry make in the cafe?
(a) A ticket to a concert
(b) A woman who loves to support artists
(c) A wallet filled with francs
(d) A book by Papini
3. What is Henry thinking about as he walks along the Champs-Elysee?
(a) His new book
(b) His good friends
(c) His empty stomach
(d) His superb health
4. Where does Henry brush against Walter Pach?
(a) In the American Express office
(b) In the Dome
(c) In the Tuileries
(d) In the cinema
5. Why does Henry say that no one ever dies in Paris?
(a) People in Paris only drink wine.
(b) You can read the names of famous people written on walls.
(c) No one stays long enough to die.
(d) Paris never forgets imbecils.
6. Where has Henry taken the young Hindu for his sexual experience?
(a) The Dome
(b) To visit Tania
(c) Miss Hamilton's joint
(d) The Rue du Pasteru-Wagner
7. How are Boris and Henry planning to write THE LAST BOOK?
(a) Dictating to a secretary
(b) Each one writing every other chapter
(d) In French and German
8. What is Marlowe's usual trick to get out of paying a bar bill?
(a) He makes a quick trip to the toilet.
(b) He pretends he is going blind.
(c) He mumbles about leaving his wallet in other pants.
(d) He pretends he doesn't see the bill.
9. What is Henry's problem as the novel opens?
(a) He needs a desk or table to write on.
(b) He lost his wallet.
(c) He is seriously ill.
(d) He is about to be evicted.
10. On what are Henry and Boris talking about collaborating?
(a) The Last Book
(b) The End of Innocence
(c) A History of the Left Bank
(d) The Death of the World
11. If Emerson is correct in saying that life consists of what a man thinks, what is Henry at this point?
(a) A wine bottle
(b) No words on a blank page
(c) One long intestine
(d) A satyr
12. Why does Boris not introduce Henry to the American woman who comes to see the apartment?
(a) Because he hates Henry
(b) Because Henry needs a bath
(c) Because she is beautiful
(d) Because he fears Henry will say the wrong thing
13. In Henry's fantasy about Fanny, what is happening to her?
(a) She is melting.
(b) She is crying hysterically.
(c) She is blowing up li9ke a balloon.
(d) Something is tickling her.
14. How does Henry say he knows Nanantatee?
(a) They met on the ship coming from America.
(b) They met in New York.
(c) Boris introduced them.
(d) They met at the Dome.
15. What surrounds Henry on his walk on the Rue de Buci?
(a) Sidewalk food venders
(b) Hotels and food
(c) Beggars asking for food
(d) Police looking at him suspiciously
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing the Hindu religious wants to do?
2. What is Henry's metaphor for his artistic suffering?
3. To torment Carl, what gossip does Marlowe whisper in his ear?
4. What is Henry's perception of Mr. Wren, the American artist and writer?
5. How does Henry describe the poor people of Paris?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)