|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much money does Henry get from Peckover?
(a) Ten francs
(b) Fifty centimes
(c) Fifty francs
(d) One franc-fifty
2. Who does Henry believe is undermining him during the last days in Villa Borghese?
(a) Mona, his wife
(b) Tania, Sylverster's wife
(c) Fanny, Moldorf's wife
(d) Elsa, the maid
3. What happens in Henry's head as Moldorf reads the letter from Fanny, his wife in America?
(a) One of his surrealist fantasies
(b) He thinks about his own wife, Mona
(c) He daydreams of flying to America
(d) He gets a migraine
4. How does Kelpi make his living?
(a) Picking tourists' pockets.
(b) Delivering messages.
(c) Guiding tourists to places where he gets a commission.
(d) Collecting bottles for recycling.
5. Why does Henry say that no one ever dies in Paris?
(a) Paris never forgets imbecils.
(b) You can read the names of famous people written on walls.
(c) People in Paris only drink wine.
(d) No one stays long enough to die.
6. What does the young Hindu do that upsets the madame?
(a) He beats up a girl.
(b) He uses the bidet for a toilet.
(c) He refuses to pay.
(d) He smokes foul smelling Indian cigars.
7. Who comprises the communal life with Henry?
(a) A dormitory of university students
(b) Some dwarfs from the Cirque Medrano
(c) Some crazy Russians, a Dutchman, and a Bulgarian woman nemed Olge
(d) Several young expatriate American students
8. What price is extracted from Henry for his meals at the Cronstadts?
(a) Reading from his manuscript
(b) Translating letters
(c) Carbons and babysitting
(d) Cleaning the toilets
9. How does Henry sum up his idea of le bel aujourd'hui?
(a) No sorrows, no regrets, no past, no future
(b) No memories, no suffering, no interruptions
(c) Sunshine and lilacs all year long
(d) Sitting down to a good meal daily
10. How are Boris and Henry planning to write THE LAST BOOK?
(a) Dictating to a secretary
(c) In French and German
(d) Each one writing every other chapter
11. What author does Henry discover that cheers him?
(a) Immanuel Kant
(b) Benedetto Croce
12. Who asks Sylvester if he can stay with him until he goes to bed?
13. What makes Henry feel ill when he opens the door of the commune?
(a) The smell of disinfectants
(b) The smell of cooking with rancid butter
(c) The body odor of the Russians
(d) The stale smoke in the room
14. What is Henry's derogatory name for the Indian, Nanantatee?
(a) Mr. Not a Tree
(b) Mr. Na-na-tatee
(c) Mr. Nonentity
(d) Mr. Manatee
15. How does Germaine look to Henry in the clear light of day?
(a) She has gold teeth and a geranium in her hat.
(b) She is overdressed in fine silks.
(c) She is overweight and has yellow complexion.
(d) She always hides her face behind a fan.
Short Answer Questions
1. To torment Carl, what gossip does Marlowe whisper in his ear?
2. Where has Henry taken the young Hindu for his sexual experience?
3. Having gone all day without anything to eat, what enters Henry's mind?
4. About what does Serge want to learn?
5. Where is Henry staying as the novel opens?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)