|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Normally a slob, how does Nanantatee change after Henry moves in?
(a) He moves them into a fancy hotel.
(b) He becomes excessively clean.
(c) He hires a maid.
(d) He starts picking up after himself.
2. What has Van Norden lost at the Bal Negre?
(a) His gold pen
(b) His wallet
(c) His false teeth
(d) His toupee
3. Where has Henry taken the young Hindu for his sexual experience?
(a) To visit Tania
(b) Miss Hamilton's joint
(c) The Dome
(d) The Rue du Pasteru-Wagner
4. What is ironic about Henry's getting money from Peckover?
(a) Peckover is Sylvester's cousin.
(b) Peckover cannot remember where he met Henry.
(c) He is almost as impoverished as Henry.
(d) He and Henry have a long standing feud.
5. What emotion does Claude arouse in Henry?
6. How does Henry describe the poor people of Paris?
(a) The stuff that penny operas are made of
(b) A ubiquitous bestilence on the landscape
(c) The proudest and filthiest lot of beggars on the earth
(d) Like bedbugs in a cheap hotel
7. What is Marlowe's usual trick to get out of paying a bar bill?
(a) He makes a quick trip to the toilet.
(b) He pretends he doesn't see the bill.
(c) He pretends he is going blind.
(d) He mumbles about leaving his wallet in other pants.
8. How does Henry describe Elsa's piano playing?
(a) Like divine music
(b) Like wind howling through the trees
(c) Like broken pots and skulls clanking
(d) Like an out of tune organ
9. How does Kelpi make his living?
(a) Delivering messages.
(b) Picking tourists' pockets.
(c) Guiding tourists to places where he gets a commission.
(d) Collecting bottles for recycling.
10. What is the main thing worrying Henry about his writing?
(a) Never having enough light to see by
(b) Having a serious writer's block
(c) Someone stealing his ideas
(d) Not knowing where he can sit to write
11. What happens in Henry's head as Moldorf reads the letter from Fanny, his wife in America?
(a) He thinks about his own wife, Mona
(b) He gets a migraine
(c) One of his surrealist fantasies
(d) He daydreams of flying to America
12. What is the movie playing at the Cine Combat?
(a) The Jazz Singer
(c) Gone With the Wind
13. If Emerson is correct in saying that life consists of what a man thinks, what is Henry at this point?
(a) A satyr
(b) A wine bottle
(c) No words on a blank page
(d) One long intestine
14. About what does Serge want to learn?
(c) California wines
15. Who are most of Henry's friends in Paris?
(a) Other Americans
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Henry's perception of Mr. Wren, the American artist and writer?
2. How does Moldorf view Sylvester?
3. What woman is Henry obsessed with?
4. How does Nanantatee irritate Henry?
5. What is Henry's problem as the novel opens?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)