|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the commune people get money for food?
(a) The Dutchman carves wooden shoes
(b) Henry writes articles for newspapers
(c) The Russians sell blintzes
(d) Olga makes shoes
2. How does Moldorf view Sylvester?
(a) As a pitiful human being
(b) As a great artist
(c) As a god
(d) As an inept writer
3. What does Henry say about Napoleon?
(a) It was not his military genious; it was his short stature.
(b) It was not his ideas they wanted; it was his corpse.
(c) He was once what modorf is now.
(d) He was sabotaged by his own lusts.
4. In spite of Marlowe's assurances, what do Carl and Henry know he will not do?
(a) Write them them every day
(b) Recommend them for jobs
(c) Pay them when he returns
(d) Bring them souvenirs from America
5. What makes Henry feel ill when he opens the door of the commune?
(a) The smell of disinfectants
(b) The stale smoke in the room
(c) The smell of cooking with rancid butter
(d) The body odor of the Russians
6. How does Henry sum up his idea of le bel aujourd'hui?
(a) No sorrows, no regrets, no past, no future
(b) Sunshine and lilacs all year long
(c) No memories, no suffering, no interruptions
(d) Sitting down to a good meal daily
7. What author does Henry discover that cheers him?
(a) Benedetto Croce
(c) Immanuel Kant
8. How does Henry say he knows Nanantatee?
(a) They met in New York.
(b) They met on the ship coming from America.
(c) Boris introduced them.
(d) They met at the Dome.
9. What does Henry imagine is the value of the ring he tries to pawn?
(a) Fifty francs
(b) A pound and six pence
(c) A dollar and a half
(d) Thirty centimes
10. Why does Boris not introduce Henry to the American woman who comes to see the apartment?
(a) Because she is beautiful
(b) Because he fears Henry will say the wrong thing
(c) Because Henry needs a bath
(d) Because he hates Henry
11. What is Henry's problem as the novel opens?
(a) He needs a desk or table to write on.
(b) He is seriously ill.
(c) He is about to be evicted.
(d) He lost his wallet.
12. Who does Henry believe is undermining him during the last days in Villa Borghese?
(a) Fanny, Moldorf's wife
(b) Mona, his wife
(c) Tania, Sylverster's wife
(d) Elsa, the maid
13. To torment Carl, what gossip does Marlowe whisper in his ear?
(a) The police are looking for you.
(b) Your favorite girl has the clap.
(c) Your apartment building is about to be condemned.
(d) You're going to lose your job.
14. Where has Henry taken the young Hindu for his sexual experience?
(a) Miss Hamilton's joint
(b) The Rue du Pasteru-Wagner
(c) The Dome
(d) To visit Tania
15. How does Henry describe the poor people of Paris?
(a) Like bedbugs in a cheap hotel
(b) The proudest and filthiest lot of beggars on the earth
(c) The stuff that penny operas are made of
(d) A ubiquitous bestilence on the landscape
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the movie playing at the Cine Combat?
2. In Henry's fantasy about Fanny, what is happening to her?
3. In spite of his hunger, where does Henry hang out in the evenings?
4. What is Marlowe's usual trick to get out of paying a bar bill?
5. About what does Serge want to learn?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)