|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Henry slightly disagree with Papini?
(a) Papini advises fasting; Henry advises feating.
(b) Papini desires to be alone; Henry wants loneliness.
(c) Papini needs opera; Henry prefers musical comedy.
(d) Papini flirts with religion; Henry refutes religion.
2. What does Nanantatee's friend, Kelpi, do when Nanantatee is not at home?
(a) He raids the cabinet for food.
(b) He tells Henry secrets about Nanantatee.
(c) He looks for loose change in the sofa.
(d) He sits on the front steps and waits for him.
3. Where are the people from who are coming to view the Villa Borghese apartment?
4. Who comprises the communal life with Henry?
(a) Some crazy Russians, a Dutchman, and a Bulgarian woman nemed Olge
(b) Some dwarfs from the Cirque Medrano
(c) Several young expatriate American students
(d) A dormitory of university students
5. Sleeping on a mattress in the hall, what is Henry's troubled dream?
(a) Germaine forcing him to marry her when she gets pregnant.
(b) Boris, Carl, and Tania laughing at him in the Louvre.
(c) The Mona Lisa scratching herself to get rid of bedbugs.
(d) The dancers and audience of Follies-Bergere all naked and scratching fleas.
6. How much money does Henry get from Peckover?
(a) Ten francs
(b) Fifty centimes
(c) Fifty francs
(d) One franc-fifty
7. What does Henry think about when he listens to Debussy?
(a) He thinks about where he can find a place to stay.
(b) He wonders how a woman feels during sex.
(c) He thinks about his next meal.
(d) He thinks about bedbugs and fleas.
8. How long has Henry's wife, Mona, been gone from Paris?
(a) Several days
(b) A year
(c) Three years
(d) A month
9. What is Henry's perception of Mr. Wren, the American artist and writer?
(a) He is a better writer than Henry.
(b) He is someone Henry wants to know better.
(c) He makes no sense when he talks.
(d) He has everything because he has a rich wife.
10. Having gone all day without anything to eat, what enters Henry's mind?
(a) All the food that restaurants throw into the garbage bins
(b) His wife Mona who is working and has plenty to eat
(c) A banquet he once attended where he ate pheasant under glass
(d) A book he read about cheap whores on the Rue du Pasteur-Wagner
11. With what person does Henry compare his writing?
(b) Moldorf, the dwarf
(c) Mona, his wife
(d) Boris, another writer
12. If Emerson is correct in saying that life consists of what a man thinks, what is Henry at this point?
(a) A wine bottle
(b) A satyr
(c) No words on a blank page
(d) One long intestine
13. How are Boris and Henry planning to write THE LAST BOOK?
(a) Dictating to a secretary
(b) In French and German
(d) Each one writing every other chapter
14. What does Henry buy with the money he takes from Peckover?
(a) A dozen eggs
(b) Coffee and a croissant
(c) An American breakfast
(d) A cheap bottle of wine
15. How does Henry describe the poor people of Paris?
(a) The stuff that penny operas are made of
(b) A ubiquitous bestilence on the landscape
(c) The proudest and filthiest lot of beggars on the earth
(d) Like bedbugs in a cheap hotel
Short Answer Questions
1. What woman is Henry obsessed with?
2. What surrounds Henry on his walk on the Rue de Buci?
3. What is the movie playing at the Cine Combat?
4. What is Marlowe's usual trick to get out of paying a bar bill?
5. What price is extracted from Henry for his meals at the Cronstadts?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)