|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Nanantatee's stated profession?
(a) A pearl merchant
(b) A Hindu mystic
(c) A newspaper publisher
(d) An art critic
2. What does Henry think about when he listens to Debussy?
(a) He thinks about where he can find a place to stay.
(b) He thinks about his next meal.
(c) He wonders how a woman feels during sex.
(d) He thinks about bedbugs and fleas.
3. What makes Henry feel ill when he opens the door of the commune?
(a) The smell of cooking with rancid butter
(b) The stale smoke in the room
(c) The smell of disinfectants
(d) The body odor of the Russians
4. How does Moldorf view Sylvester?
(a) As a god
(b) As a pitiful human being
(c) As a great artist
(d) As an inept writer
5. How does Henry describe Elsa's piano playing?
(a) Like an out of tune organ
(b) Like wind howling through the trees
(c) Like divine music
(d) Like broken pots and skulls clanking
6. What happens in Henry's head as Moldorf reads the letter from Fanny, his wife in America?
(a) He thinks about his own wife, Mona
(b) He gets a migraine
(c) He daydreams of flying to America
(d) One of his surrealist fantasies
7. How does Henry slightly disagree with Papini?
(a) Papini needs opera; Henry prefers musical comedy.
(b) Papini flirts with religion; Henry refutes religion.
(c) Papini advises fasting; Henry advises feating.
(d) Papini desires to be alone; Henry wants loneliness.
8. What surrounds Henry on his walk on the Rue de Buci?
(a) Police looking at him suspiciously
(b) Hotels and food
(c) Sidewalk food venders
(d) Beggars asking for food
9. How does Henry say he knows Nanantatee?
(a) They met on the ship coming from America.
(b) They met at the Dome.
(c) They met in New York.
(d) Boris introduced them.
10. In Henry's fantasy about Fanny, what is happening to her?
(a) She is blowing up li9ke a balloon.
(b) She is crying hysterically.
(c) Something is tickling her.
(d) She is melting.
11. What does the young Hindu do that upsets the madame?
(a) He uses the bidet for a toilet.
(b) He refuses to pay.
(c) He smokes foul smelling Indian cigars.
(d) He beats up a girl.
12. Where does Henry brush against Walter Pach?
(a) In the Dome
(b) In the Tuileries
(c) In the American Express office
(d) In the cinema
13. Why does Henry say that no one ever dies in Paris?
(a) Paris never forgets imbecils.
(b) You can read the names of famous people written on walls.
(c) No one stays long enough to die.
(d) People in Paris only drink wine.
14. How do the commune people get money for food?
(a) Olga makes shoes
(b) Henry writes articles for newspapers
(c) The Russians sell blintzes
(d) The Dutchman carves wooden shoes
15. How does Henry picture Serge's lazy slut of a wife?
(a) As a fat American lying on the sofa eating bon bons.
(b) As a would-be writer with no talent.
(c) As an emaciated American woman with no ambition.
(d) As an intelligent, hard working American woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Henry thinking about as he walks along the Champs-Elysee?
2. About what does Serge want to learn?
3. Who comprises the communal life with Henry?
4. What is the movie playing at the Cine Combat?
5. In spite of Marlowe's assurances, what do Carl and Henry know he will not do?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)