|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In spite of his hunger, where does Henry hang out in the evenings?
(a) The opera
(b) The Rue du Pasteur-Wagner
(c) The Dome
(d) The stage door of the Folies-Bergere
2. What does Serge offer Henry in exchange for his services?
(a) One meal a day and a place to sleep.
(b) A private loft where he can write.
(c) Introductions to wealthy patrons.
(d) Fifty francs a week.
3. What does Henry say about Napoleon?
(a) He was once what modorf is now.
(b) It was not his military genious; it was his short stature.
(c) It was not his ideas they wanted; it was his corpse.
(d) He was sabotaged by his own lusts.
4. What does the young Hindu do that upsets the madame?
(a) He refuses to pay.
(b) He smokes foul smelling Indian cigars.
(c) He beats up a girl.
(d) He uses the bidet for a toilet.
5. Who are most of Henry's friends in Paris?
(a) Other Americans
6. What lucky find does Henry make in the cafe?
(a) A ticket to a concert
(b) A woman who loves to support artists
(c) A book by Papini
(d) A wallet filled with francs
7. How does Henry picture Serge's lazy slut of a wife?
(a) As a would-be writer with no talent.
(b) As a fat American lying on the sofa eating bon bons.
(c) As an intelligent, hard working American woman.
(d) As an emaciated American woman with no ambition.
8. Why is Serge happy to meet Henry?
(a) He wants an English teacher.
(b) He has read Henry's articles.
(c) He wants to meet Germaine.
(d) He needs a guide around Paris.
9. What does Nanantatee's friend, Kelpi, do when Nanantatee is not at home?
(a) He raids the cabinet for food.
(b) He looks for loose change in the sofa.
(c) He tells Henry secrets about Nanantatee.
(d) He sits on the front steps and waits for him.
10. What does Henry think about when he listens to Debussy?
(a) He wonders how a woman feels during sex.
(b) He thinks about bedbugs and fleas.
(c) He thinks about his next meal.
(d) He thinks about where he can find a place to stay.
11. What does Carl say makes him want to go to Arizona?
(a) It is a place where he can find quiet to write.
(b) It is a place where there is lots of space.
(c) It is a good place for his allergies.
(d) It is a place where they look you square in the eye.
12. Where has Henry taken the young Hindu for his sexual experience?
(a) The Dome
(b) To visit Tania
(c) The Rue du Pasteru-Wagner
(d) Miss Hamilton's joint
13. Sleeping on a mattress in the hall, what is Henry's troubled dream?
(a) Boris, Carl, and Tania laughing at him in the Louvre.
(b) Germaine forcing him to marry her when she gets pregnant.
(c) The dancers and audience of Follies-Bergere all naked and scratching fleas.
(d) The Mona Lisa scratching herself to get rid of bedbugs.
14. How does Nanantatee irritate Henry?
(a) He tries to convert Henry to Hinduism.
(b) He does not offer wine to Henry when he drinks.
(c) He insists on calling him Endree.
(d) He cleans his apartment all the time.
15. When Henry is writing about Claude, of whom is he really thinking?
Short Answer Questions
1. To torment Carl, what gossip does Marlowe whisper in his ear?
2. What author does Henry discover that cheers him?
3. How does Henry slightly disagree with Papini?
4. Why is Henry always looking for a free meal?
5. How does Henry say Moldorf hears his own voice?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)