|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the commune people get money for food?
(a) Henry writes articles for newspapers
(b) The Dutchman carves wooden shoes
(c) Olga makes shoes
(d) The Russians sell blintzes
2. What woman is Henry obsessed with?
(d) Mona Lisa
3. To torment Carl, what gossip does Marlowe whisper in his ear?
(a) The police are looking for you.
(b) Your apartment building is about to be condemned.
(c) You're going to lose your job.
(d) Your favorite girl has the clap.
4. What does Henry think about when he listens to Debussy?
(a) He thinks about his next meal.
(b) He thinks about bedbugs and fleas.
(c) He thinks about where he can find a place to stay.
(d) He wonders how a woman feels during sex.
5. What lucky find does Henry make in the cafe?
(a) A book by Papini
(b) A ticket to a concert
(c) A woman who loves to support artists
(d) A wallet filled with francs
6. Where has Henry taken the young Hindu for his sexual experience?
(a) The Dome
(b) The Rue du Pasteru-Wagner
(c) To visit Tania
(d) Miss Hamilton's joint
7. What does Henry say about Napoleon?
(a) It was not his ideas they wanted; it was his corpse.
(b) He was once what modorf is now.
(c) It was not his military genious; it was his short stature.
(d) He was sabotaged by his own lusts.
8. In what way does Henry say Carl and Boris are sufferers?
(a) They are bewitched by words.
(b) They lack self-confidence.
(c) They are mad and tone deaf.
(d) They are hungry and tired.
9. Normally a slob, how does Nanantatee change after Henry moves in?
(a) He starts picking up after himself.
(b) He becomes excessively clean.
(c) He hires a maid.
(d) He moves them into a fancy hotel.
10. What is Henry's perception of Mr. Wren, the American artist and writer?
(a) He makes no sense when he talks.
(b) He is a better writer than Henry.
(c) He has everything because he has a rich wife.
(d) He is someone Henry wants to know better.
11. What deformity does Henry have in his fantasy at the cinema?
(a) He is short like Moldorf.
(b) He has a crippled right hand.
(c) He has a club foot.
(d) He has a glass eye.
12. What is the title that Henry wishes he had thought of?
(a) The Sun Also Rises
(b) A Man Cut in Slices
(c) Man and Superman
(d) The Red Shoes
13. What is Henry's description of Marlowe?
(a) A broomstick wearing clothes
(b) Nothing but a skull perforated by two deep sockets
(c) A scarecrow in a cornfield
(d) The living epitome of Ickabod Crane
14. Why is Serge happy to meet Henry?
(a) He wants to meet Germaine.
(b) He has read Henry's articles.
(c) He wants an English teacher.
(d) He needs a guide around Paris.
15. If Emerson is correct in saying that life consists of what a man thinks, what is Henry at this point?
(a) A wine bottle
(b) No words on a blank page
(c) One long intestine
(d) A satyr
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has Henry's wife, Mona, been gone from Paris?
2. Why does Henry say that no one ever dies in Paris?
3. What does the young Hindu do that upsets the madame?
4. What is the condition of the beds in the commune?
5. With what person does Henry compare his writing?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)