|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Henry brush against Walter Pach?
(a) In the Tuileries
(b) In the Dome
(c) In the American Express office
(d) In the cinema
2. What happens in Henry's head as Moldorf reads the letter from Fanny, his wife in America?
(a) He thinks about his own wife, Mona
(b) One of his surrealist fantasies
(c) He daydreams of flying to America
(d) He gets a migraine
3. About what does Serge want to learn?
(c) California wines
4. How does Henry picture Serge's lazy slut of a wife?
(a) As a would-be writer with no talent.
(b) As an emaciated American woman with no ambition.
(c) As a fat American lying on the sofa eating bon bons.
(d) As an intelligent, hard working American woman.
5. In spite of his hunger, where does Henry hang out in the evenings?
(a) The stage door of the Folies-Bergere
(b) The opera
(c) The Dome
(d) The Rue du Pasteur-Wagner
6. What does Nanantatee's friend, Kelpi, do when Nanantatee is not at home?
(a) He tells Henry secrets about Nanantatee.
(b) He raids the cabinet for food.
(c) He looks for loose change in the sofa.
(d) He sits on the front steps and waits for him.
7. How do the commune people get money for food?
(a) The Russians sell blintzes
(b) Henry writes articles for newspapers
(c) The Dutchman carves wooden shoes
(d) Olga makes shoes
8. Where is Henry staying as the novel opens?
(a) Villa Broghese
(b) The YMCA
(c) The Ritz Hotel
(d) The Dome
9. How much money does Henry get from Peckover?
(a) One franc-fifty
(b) Fifty francs
(c) Ten francs
(d) Fifty centimes
10. Why is Boris intimidated by his wife?
(a) She has many lovers.
(b) She has two large brothers.
(c) She has all the money.
(d) She weighs over 180 pounds.
11. Who comprises the communal life with Henry?
(a) Several young expatriate American students
(b) Some dwarfs from the Cirque Medrano
(c) A dormitory of university students
(d) Some crazy Russians, a Dutchman, and a Bulgarian woman nemed Olge
12. How does Moldorf view Sylvester?
(a) As a god
(b) As a great artist
(c) As a pitiful human being
(d) As an inept writer
13. How does Germaine look to Henry in the clear light of day?
(a) She has gold teeth and a geranium in her hat.
(b) She is overdressed in fine silks.
(c) She always hides her face behind a fan.
(d) She is overweight and has yellow complexion.
14. On what are Henry and Boris talking about collaborating?
(a) The Death of the World
(b) The End of Innocence
(c) A History of the Left Bank
(d) The Last Book
15. What is Henry thinking about as he walks along the Champs-Elysee?
(a) His superb health
(b) His new book
(c) His empty stomach
(d) His good friends
Short Answer Questions
1. With what person does Henry compare his writing?
2. What emotion does Claude arouse in Henry?
3. Who helps get Henry out of Nanantatee's apartment much of the time?
4. What deformity does Henry have in his fantasy at the cinema?
5. What does Carl say makes him want to go to Arizona?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)