|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What lucky find does Henry make in the cafe?
(a) A wallet filled with francs
(b) A woman who loves to support artists
(c) A book by Papini
(d) A ticket to a concert
2. About what does Serge want to learn?
(d) California wines
3. What does the young Hindu do before leaving Paris?
(a) Gets drunk
(b) Gets the last of Henry's money
(c) Visits a brothel again
(d) Signs a book deal with a publisher
4. Having gone all day without anything to eat, what enters Henry's mind?
(a) All the food that restaurants throw into the garbage bins
(b) A banquet he once attended where he ate pheasant under glass
(c) A book he read about cheap whores on the Rue du Pasteur-Wagner
(d) His wife Mona who is working and has plenty to eat
5. What does Henry buy with the money he takes from Peckover?
(a) A cheap bottle of wine
(b) An American breakfast
(c) A dozen eggs
(d) Coffee and a croissant
6. Where is Marlowe about to go?
(a) New York City
(b) San Francisco
7. How does Henry say he knows Nanantatee?
(a) Boris introduced them.
(b) They met on the ship coming from America.
(c) They met at the Dome.
(d) They met in New York.
8. What is Henry's metaphor for his artistic suffering?
(a) Walking on hot coals
(b) Digging graves
(c) Being enslaved
(d) Lying down with lions
9. How does Henry picture Serge's lazy slut of a wife?
(a) As a would-be writer with no talent.
(b) As an intelligent, hard working American woman.
(c) As a fat American lying on the sofa eating bon bons.
(d) As an emaciated American woman with no ambition.
10. What is the title that Henry wishes he had thought of?
(a) Man and Superman
(b) The Sun Also Rises
(c) The Red Shoes
(d) A Man Cut in Slices
11. How do the commune people get money for food?
(a) The Russians sell blintzes
(b) Henry writes articles for newspapers
(c) The Dutchman carves wooden shoes
(d) Olga makes shoes
12. What is Marlowe's usual trick to get out of paying a bar bill?
(a) He pretends he doesn't see the bill.
(b) He pretends he is going blind.
(c) He makes a quick trip to the toilet.
(d) He mumbles about leaving his wallet in other pants.
13. What is Nanantatee's stated profession?
(a) A Hindu mystic
(b) A newspaper publisher
(c) An art critic
(d) A pearl merchant
14. What is the main thing worrying Henry about his writing?
(a) Having a serious writer's block
(b) Someone stealing his ideas
(c) Not knowing where he can sit to write
(d) Never having enough light to see by
15. What does Henry say about Napoleon?
(a) He was once what modorf is now.
(b) It was not his ideas they wanted; it was his corpse.
(c) He was sabotaged by his own lusts.
(d) It was not his military genious; it was his short stature.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Henry describe the poor people of Paris?
2. What emotion does Claude arouse in Henry?
3. How much money does Henry get from Peckover?
4. What is Henry's description of Marlowe?
5. If Emerson is correct in saying that life consists of what a man thinks, what is Henry at this point?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)