|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the commune people get money for food?
(a) The Russians sell blintzes
(b) Olga makes shoes
(c) Henry writes articles for newspapers
(d) The Dutchman carves wooden shoes
2. Normally a slob, how does Nanantatee change after Henry moves in?
(a) He moves them into a fancy hotel.
(b) He becomes excessively clean.
(c) He starts picking up after himself.
(d) He hires a maid.
3. What does Serge offer Henry in exchange for his services?
(a) Introductions to wealthy patrons.
(b) One meal a day and a place to sleep.
(c) Fifty francs a week.
(d) A private loft where he can write.
4. In Henry's fantasy about Fanny, what is happening to her?
(a) She is crying hysterically.
(b) She is blowing up li9ke a balloon.
(c) She is melting.
(d) Something is tickling her.
5. How does Henry slightly disagree with Papini?
(a) Papini advises fasting; Henry advises feating.
(b) Papini desires to be alone; Henry wants loneliness.
(c) Papini needs opera; Henry prefers musical comedy.
(d) Papini flirts with religion; Henry refutes religion.
6. Where is Henry staying as the novel opens?
(a) The YMCA
(b) The Ritz Hotel
(c) The Dome
(d) Villa Broghese
7. What surrounds Henry on his walk on the Rue de Buci?
(a) Sidewalk food venders
(b) Beggars asking for food
(c) Hotels and food
(d) Police looking at him suspiciously
8. What is the first thing the Hindu religious wants to do?
(a) Visit the Louvre
(b) Climb the Eiffel Tower
(c) Visit a brothel
(d) Set up a lecture schedule
9. How does Henry picture Serge's lazy slut of a wife?
(a) As a fat American lying on the sofa eating bon bons.
(b) As an emaciated American woman with no ambition.
(c) As an intelligent, hard working American woman.
(d) As a would-be writer with no talent.
10. What is the condition of the beds in the commune?
(a) They are crawling with bedbugs.
(b) They have no blankets against the cold nights.
(c) They are used by three or four people at once.
(d) They are straw mats on a hard floor.
11. What does Henry buy with the money he takes from Peckover?
(a) A dozen eggs
(b) A cheap bottle of wine
(c) An American breakfast
(d) Coffee and a croissant
12. How does Moldorf view Sylvester?
(a) As a pitiful human being
(b) As a great artist
(c) As an inept writer
(d) As a god
13. What does Henry imagine is the value of the ring he tries to pawn?
(a) Fifty francs
(b) Thirty centimes
(c) A dollar and a half
(d) A pound and six pence
14. What is Henry's problem as the novel opens?
(a) He is about to be evicted.
(b) He is seriously ill.
(c) He lost his wallet.
(d) He needs a desk or table to write on.
15. What deformity does Henry have in his fantasy at the cinema?
(a) He is short like Moldorf.
(b) He has a glass eye.
(c) He has a crippled right hand.
(d) He has a club foot.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Henry is writing about Claude, of whom is he really thinking?
2. What is the main thing worrying Henry about his writing?
3. How does Henry say he knows Nanantatee?
4. How does Henry describe the poor people of Paris?
5. How does Henry say Moldorf hears his own voice?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)