|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About what does Serge want to learn?
(d) California wines
2. How does Germaine look to Henry in the clear light of day?
(a) She has gold teeth and a geranium in her hat.
(b) She is overdressed in fine silks.
(c) She is overweight and has yellow complexion.
(d) She always hides her face behind a fan.
3. What does Nanantatee's friend, Kelpi, do when Nanantatee is not at home?
(a) He sits on the front steps and waits for him.
(b) He looks for loose change in the sofa.
(c) He raids the cabinet for food.
(d) He tells Henry secrets about Nanantatee.
4. What does the young Hindu do before leaving Paris?
(a) Gets the last of Henry's money
(b) Signs a book deal with a publisher
(c) Visits a brothel again
(d) Gets drunk
5. Who comprises the communal life with Henry?
(a) Some dwarfs from the Cirque Medrano
(b) Several young expatriate American students
(c) A dormitory of university students
(d) Some crazy Russians, a Dutchman, and a Bulgarian woman nemed Olge
6. In spite of his hunger, where does Henry hang out in the evenings?
(a) The stage door of the Folies-Bergere
(b) The Dome
(c) The opera
(d) The Rue du Pasteur-Wagner
7. To torment Carl, what gossip does Marlowe whisper in his ear?
(a) Your favorite girl has the clap.
(b) You're going to lose your job.
(c) Your apartment building is about to be condemned.
(d) The police are looking for you.
8. How does Henry slightly disagree with Papini?
(a) Papini desires to be alone; Henry wants loneliness.
(b) Papini advises fasting; Henry advises feating.
(c) Papini flirts with religion; Henry refutes religion.
(d) Papini needs opera; Henry prefers musical comedy.
9. How does Henry say Moldorf hears his own voice?
(a) He hears the monotone of the telegraph lines.
(b) He hears the pounding of the suft.
(c) He hears a roar while others hear a squeak.
(d) He hears the whisper of the breeze.
10. What price is extracted from Henry for his meals at the Cronstadts?
(a) Translating letters
(b) Carbons and babysitting
(c) Cleaning the toilets
(d) Reading from his manuscript
11. Where has Henry taken the young Hindu for his sexual experience?
(a) The Rue du Pasteru-Wagner
(b) To visit Tania
(c) The Dome
(d) Miss Hamilton's joint
12. How does Kelpi make his living?
(a) Delivering messages.
(b) Collecting bottles for recycling.
(c) Guiding tourists to places where he gets a commission.
(d) Picking tourists' pockets.
13. What does the American woman inquire about that astonishes Henry?
(a) The heating system
(b) The toilet
(c) The view
(d) The furniture
14. Who asks Sylvester if he can stay with him until he goes to bed?
15. Why can Henry not go to the cinema or into the opium joint?
(a) He can't afford to be seen there.
(b) He has been banned from both places.
(c) He is short a few sous.
(d) He needs to save the money to buy breakfast.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main thing worrying Henry about his writing?
2. Why is Serge happy to meet Henry?
3. In what way does Henry say Carl and Boris are sufferers?
4. How are Boris and Henry planning to write THE LAST BOOK?
5. Where is Marlowe about to go?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)