|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What surrounds Henry on his walk on the Rue de Buci?
(a) Hotels and food
(b) Sidewalk food venders
(c) Police looking at him suspiciously
(d) Beggars asking for food
2. To torment Carl, what gossip does Marlowe whisper in his ear?
(a) You're going to lose your job.
(b) The police are looking for you.
(c) Your favorite girl has the clap.
(d) Your apartment building is about to be condemned.
3. How does Henry picture Serge's lazy slut of a wife?
(a) As a would-be writer with no talent.
(b) As an intelligent, hard working American woman.
(c) As a fat American lying on the sofa eating bon bons.
(d) As an emaciated American woman with no ambition.
4. How are Boris and Henry planning to write THE LAST BOOK?
(a) Dictating to a secretary
(c) In French and German
(d) Each one writing every other chapter
5. What makes Henry feel ill when he opens the door of the commune?
(a) The body odor of the Russians
(b) The smell of disinfectants
(c) The smell of cooking with rancid butter
(d) The stale smoke in the room
6. On what are Henry and Boris talking about collaborating?
(a) A History of the Left Bank
(b) The End of Innocence
(c) The Death of the World
(d) The Last Book
7. Where has Henry taken the young Hindu for his sexual experience?
(a) The Dome
(b) To visit Tania
(c) The Rue du Pasteru-Wagner
(d) Miss Hamilton's joint
8. How much money does Henry get from Peckover?
(a) Ten francs
(b) One franc-fifty
(c) Fifty centimes
(d) Fifty francs
9. Where are the people from who are coming to view the Villa Borghese apartment?
10. How do the commune people get money for food?
(a) Olga makes shoes
(b) The Russians sell blintzes
(c) Henry writes articles for newspapers
(d) The Dutchman carves wooden shoes
11. What does Henry buy with the money he takes from Peckover?
(a) A cheap bottle of wine
(b) A dozen eggs
(c) An American breakfast
(d) Coffee and a croissant
12. About what does Serge want to learn?
(d) California wines
13. How does Moldorf view Sylvester?
(a) As an inept writer
(b) As a pitiful human being
(c) As a god
(d) As a great artist
14. How does Henry describe Elsa's piano playing?
(a) Like wind howling through the trees
(b) Like an out of tune organ
(c) Like divine music
(d) Like broken pots and skulls clanking
15. What is ironic about Henry's getting money from Peckover?
(a) Peckover is Sylvester's cousin.
(b) Peckover cannot remember where he met Henry.
(c) He is almost as impoverished as Henry.
(d) He and Henry have a long standing feud.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the movie playing at the Cine Combat?
2. Who does Henry believe is undermining him during the last days in Villa Borghese?
3. Why is Henry always looking for a free meal?
4. What does Carl say makes him want to go to Arizona?
5. Why is Boris intimidated by his wife?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)