|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Henry imagine is the value of the ring he tries to pawn?
(a) Fifty francs
(b) A dollar and a half
(c) Thirty centimes
(d) A pound and six pence
2. How does Henry describe Elsa's piano playing?
(a) Like an out of tune organ
(b) Like broken pots and skulls clanking
(c) Like divine music
(d) Like wind howling through the trees
3. What has Van Norden lost at the Bal Negre?
(a) His toupee
(b) His gold pen
(c) His false teeth
(d) His wallet
4. What is Nanantatee's stated profession?
(a) An art critic
(b) A pearl merchant
(c) A newspaper publisher
(d) A Hindu mystic
5. What is Henry's problem as the novel opens?
(a) He lost his wallet.
(b) He is about to be evicted.
(c) He needs a desk or table to write on.
(d) He is seriously ill.
6. Why is Serge happy to meet Henry?
(a) He wants to meet Germaine.
(b) He has read Henry's articles.
(c) He wants an English teacher.
(d) He needs a guide around Paris.
7. In spite of his hunger, where does Henry hang out in the evenings?
(a) The Rue du Pasteur-Wagner
(b) The stage door of the Folies-Bergere
(c) The Dome
(d) The opera
8. What makes Henry feel ill when he opens the door of the commune?
(a) The smell of disinfectants
(b) The smell of cooking with rancid butter
(c) The stale smoke in the room
(d) The body odor of the Russians
9. How does Moldorf view Sylvester?
(a) As a god
(b) As a great artist
(c) As a pitiful human being
(d) As an inept writer
10. Sleeping on a mattress in the hall, what is Henry's troubled dream?
(a) The dancers and audience of Follies-Bergere all naked and scratching fleas.
(b) Boris, Carl, and Tania laughing at him in the Louvre.
(c) The Mona Lisa scratching herself to get rid of bedbugs.
(d) Germaine forcing him to marry her when she gets pregnant.
11. What is Henry's perception of Mr. Wren, the American artist and writer?
(a) He makes no sense when he talks.
(b) He has everything because he has a rich wife.
(c) He is someone Henry wants to know better.
(d) He is a better writer than Henry.
12. To torment Carl, what gossip does Marlowe whisper in his ear?
(a) The police are looking for you.
(b) You're going to lose your job.
(c) Your apartment building is about to be condemned.
(d) Your favorite girl has the clap.
13. What deformity does Henry have in his fantasy at the cinema?
(a) He has a glass eye.
(b) He is short like Moldorf.
(c) He has a crippled right hand.
(d) He has a club foot.
14. Normally a slob, how does Nanantatee change after Henry moves in?
(a) He hires a maid.
(b) He becomes excessively clean.
(c) He moves them into a fancy hotel.
(d) He starts picking up after himself.
15. What does Henry resist taking from the Cronstadt baby?
(a) A glass of milk
(b) A chicken bone
(c) A Teddy bear
(d) A pacifier
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Boris intimidated by his wife?
2. How does Germaine look to Henry in the clear light of day?
3. When Henry is writing about Claude, of whom is he really thinking?
4. How does Nanantatee irritate Henry?
5. What does Carl say makes him want to go to Arizona?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)