|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To torment Carl, what gossip does Marlowe whisper in his ear?
(a) The police are looking for you.
(b) You're going to lose your job.
(c) Your favorite girl has the clap.
(d) Your apartment building is about to be condemned.
2. What lucky find does Henry make in the cafe?
(a) A ticket to a concert
(b) A book by Papini
(c) A woman who loves to support artists
(d) A wallet filled with francs
3. How does Henry describe the poor people of Paris?
(a) A ubiquitous bestilence on the landscape
(b) The proudest and filthiest lot of beggars on the earth
(c) Like bedbugs in a cheap hotel
(d) The stuff that penny operas are made of
4. Why can Henry not go to the cinema or into the opium joint?
(a) He can't afford to be seen there.
(b) He needs to save the money to buy breakfast.
(c) He has been banned from both places.
(d) He is short a few sous.
5. Why does Boris not introduce Henry to the American woman who comes to see the apartment?
(a) Because Henry needs a bath
(b) Because he hates Henry
(c) Because he fears Henry will say the wrong thing
(d) Because she is beautiful
6. How does Henry say he knows Nanantatee?
(a) They met at the Dome.
(b) Boris introduced them.
(c) They met in New York.
(d) They met on the ship coming from America.
7. Where is Henry staying as the novel opens?
(a) The Ritz Hotel
(b) Villa Broghese
(c) The Dome
(d) The YMCA
8. Who helps get Henry out of Nanantatee's apartment much of the time?
(b) Sylvester and Tania
(c) A young Hindu lecturer from India
9. Who does Henry praise for putting her whole soul into her whoring?
10. What is Henry's derogatory name for the Indian, Nanantatee?
(a) Mr. Na-na-tatee
(b) Mr. Not a Tree
(c) Mr. Nonentity
(d) Mr. Manatee
11. How much money does Henry get from Peckover?
(a) Ten francs
(b) Fifty centimes
(c) Fifty francs
(d) One franc-fifty
12. What makes Henry feel ill when he opens the door of the commune?
(a) The stale smoke in the room
(b) The smell of cooking with rancid butter
(c) The smell of disinfectants
(d) The body odor of the Russians
13. What does the young Hindu do that upsets the madame?
(a) He uses the bidet for a toilet.
(b) He smokes foul smelling Indian cigars.
(c) He beats up a girl.
(d) He refuses to pay.
14. Why is Serge happy to meet Henry?
(a) He has read Henry's articles.
(b) He needs a guide around Paris.
(c) He wants to meet Germaine.
(d) He wants an English teacher.
15. If Emerson is correct in saying that life consists of what a man thinks, what is Henry at this point?
(a) One long intestine
(b) A satyr
(c) A wine bottle
(d) No words on a blank page
Short Answer Questions
1. What deformity does Henry have in his fantasy at the cinema?
2. How does Nanantatee irritate Henry?
3. How long has Henry's wife, Mona, been gone from Paris?
4. What is Henry's description of Marlowe?
5. What does the young Hindu do before leaving Paris?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)