|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Henry describe Elsa's piano playing?
(a) Like divine music
(b) Like an out of tune organ
(c) Like broken pots and skulls clanking
(d) Like wind howling through the trees
2. How much money does Henry get from Peckover?
(a) Fifty francs
(b) One franc-fifty
(c) Ten francs
(d) Fifty centimes
3. What is the title that Henry wishes he had thought of?
(a) The Sun Also Rises
(b) A Man Cut in Slices
(c) Man and Superman
(d) The Red Shoes
4. Who helps get Henry out of Nanantatee's apartment much of the time?
(b) A young Hindu lecturer from India
(c) Sylvester and Tania
5. Who does Henry believe is undermining him during the last days in Villa Borghese?
(a) Elsa, the maid
(b) Tania, Sylverster's wife
(c) Mona, his wife
(d) Fanny, Moldorf's wife
6. Who does Henry praise for putting her whole soul into her whoring?
7. What is ironic about Henry's getting money from Peckover?
(a) Peckover is Sylvester's cousin.
(b) Peckover cannot remember where he met Henry.
(c) He is almost as impoverished as Henry.
(d) He and Henry have a long standing feud.
8. Where does Henry brush against Walter Pach?
(a) In the Tuileries
(b) In the Dome
(c) In the cinema
(d) In the American Express office
9. How are Boris and Henry planning to write THE LAST BOOK?
(b) Each one writing every other chapter
(c) In French and German
(d) Dictating to a secretary
10. What has Van Norden lost at the Bal Negre?
(a) His gold pen
(b) His toupee
(c) His false teeth
(d) His wallet
11. What is Henry's paranoia at Sylvester's house?
(a) He thinks they are going to ask for rent.
(b) He thinks they are trying to get rid of him.
(c) He thinks they are planning to send him back to America.
(d) He thinks they are going to steal his book ideas.
12. How does Henry say he knows Nanantatee?
(a) Boris introduced them.
(b) They met on the ship coming from America.
(c) They met at the Dome.
(d) They met in New York.
13. What does Henry buy with the money he takes from Peckover?
(a) An American breakfast
(b) A cheap bottle of wine
(c) Coffee and a croissant
(d) A dozen eggs
14. What makes Henry feel ill when he opens the door of the commune?
(a) The body odor of the Russians
(b) The stale smoke in the room
(c) The smell of disinfectants
(d) The smell of cooking with rancid butter
15. Why can Henry not go to the cinema or into the opium joint?
(a) He can't afford to be seen there.
(b) He has been banned from both places.
(c) He is short a few sous.
(d) He needs to save the money to buy breakfast.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Nanantatee irritate Henry?
2. How long has Henry's wife, Mona, been gone from Paris?
3. When Henry is writing about Claude, of whom is he really thinking?
4. Why is Serge happy to meet Henry?
5. What woman is Henry obsessed with?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)