|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Henry imagine is the value of the ring he tries to pawn?
(a) A pound and six pence
(b) Thirty centimes
(c) A dollar and a half
(d) Fifty francs
2. How does Henry sum up his idea of le bel aujourd'hui?
(a) No memories, no suffering, no interruptions
(b) No sorrows, no regrets, no past, no future
(c) Sitting down to a good meal daily
(d) Sunshine and lilacs all year long
3. What does Henry buy with the money he takes from Peckover?
(a) A cheap bottle of wine
(b) Coffee and a croissant
(c) A dozen eggs
(d) An American breakfast
4. What does Henry think about when he listens to Debussy?
(a) He thinks about bedbugs and fleas.
(b) He thinks about his next meal.
(c) He thinks about where he can find a place to stay.
(d) He wonders how a woman feels during sex.
5. How are Boris and Henry planning to write THE LAST BOOK?
(a) Each one writing every other chapter
(b) In French and German
(c) Dictating to a secretary
6. Where does Henry stay warm on a cold Easter morning?
(a) In Eglise Ste.-Clotilde
(b) In bed
(c) In the Dome
(d) In the hotel lobby
7. What lucky find does Henry make in the cafe?
(a) A ticket to a concert
(b) A wallet filled with francs
(c) A book by Papini
(d) A woman who loves to support artists
8. In Henry's fantasy about Fanny, what is happening to her?
(a) She is melting.
(b) Something is tickling her.
(c) She is crying hysterically.
(d) She is blowing up li9ke a balloon.
9. Where is Marlowe about to go?
(b) New York City
(c) San Francisco
10. Why is Serge happy to meet Henry?
(a) He wants to meet Germaine.
(b) He wants an English teacher.
(c) He needs a guide around Paris.
(d) He has read Henry's articles.
11. How long has Henry's wife, Mona, been gone from Paris?
(a) Several days
(b) A month
(c) A year
(d) Three years
12. What is Henry's derogatory name for the Indian, Nanantatee?
(a) Mr. Not a Tree
(b) Mr. Manatee
(c) Mr. Nonentity
(d) Mr. Na-na-tatee
13. Sleeping on a mattress in the hall, what is Henry's troubled dream?
(a) Boris, Carl, and Tania laughing at him in the Louvre.
(b) The Mona Lisa scratching herself to get rid of bedbugs.
(c) The dancers and audience of Follies-Bergere all naked and scratching fleas.
(d) Germaine forcing him to marry her when she gets pregnant.
14. If Emerson is correct in saying that life consists of what a man thinks, what is Henry at this point?
(a) No words on a blank page
(b) A satyr
(c) A wine bottle
(d) One long intestine
15. In spite of Marlowe's assurances, what do Carl and Henry know he will not do?
(a) Write them them every day
(b) Bring them souvenirs from America
(c) Recommend them for jobs
(d) Pay them when he returns
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are the people from who are coming to view the Villa Borghese apartment?
2. Where does Henry brush against Walter Pach?
3. What is the movie playing at the Cine Combat?
4. What is the first thing the Hindu religious wants to do?
5. What does Henry resist taking from the Cronstadt baby?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)