|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the movie playing at the Cine Combat?
(b) The Jazz Singer
(c) Gone With the Wind
2. What is Henry's problem as the novel opens?
(a) He is seriously ill.
(b) He lost his wallet.
(c) He needs a desk or table to write on.
(d) He is about to be evicted.
3. What is ironic about Henry's getting money from Peckover?
(a) Peckover cannot remember where he met Henry.
(b) He is almost as impoverished as Henry.
(c) Peckover is Sylvester's cousin.
(d) He and Henry have a long standing feud.
4. Who asks Sylvester if he can stay with him until he goes to bed?
5. Where is Marlowe about to go?
(b) San Francisco
(c) New York City
6. On what are Henry and Boris talking about collaborating?
(a) The Death of the World
(b) A History of the Left Bank
(c) The Last Book
(d) The End of Innocence
7. Who comprises the communal life with Henry?
(a) Several young expatriate American students
(b) A dormitory of university students
(c) Some dwarfs from the Cirque Medrano
(d) Some crazy Russians, a Dutchman, and a Bulgarian woman nemed Olge
8. Where is Henry staying as the novel opens?
(a) The Dome
(b) The YMCA
(c) The Ritz Hotel
(d) Villa Broghese
9. How does Henry slightly disagree with Papini?
(a) Papini flirts with religion; Henry refutes religion.
(b) Papini desires to be alone; Henry wants loneliness.
(c) Papini advises fasting; Henry advises feating.
(d) Papini needs opera; Henry prefers musical comedy.
10. What does Serge offer Henry in exchange for his services?
(a) One meal a day and a place to sleep.
(b) A private loft where he can write.
(c) Introductions to wealthy patrons.
(d) Fifty francs a week.
11. What lucky find does Henry make in the cafe?
(a) A wallet filled with francs
(b) A woman who loves to support artists
(c) A book by Papini
(d) A ticket to a concert
12. What does Carl say makes him want to go to Arizona?
(a) It is a place where he can find quiet to write.
(b) It is a good place for his allergies.
(c) It is a place where there is lots of space.
(d) It is a place where they look you square in the eye.
13. Why is Boris intimidated by his wife?
(a) She has many lovers.
(b) She has two large brothers.
(c) She weighs over 180 pounds.
(d) She has all the money.
14. About what does Serge want to learn?
(c) California wines
15. What does Marlowe want Henry and Carl to do during his absence?
(a) Send him money
(b) Write his reviews for the newspaper
(c) Stay away from his wife
(d) Pay his bar bills
Short Answer Questions
1. At the Villa Borghese, what is the Englishman doing upstairs?
2. What is Henry's derogatory name for the Indian, Nanantatee?
3. What does Henry buy with the money he takes from Peckover?
4. What is the main thing worrying Henry about his writing?
5. In Henry's fantasy about Fanny, what is happening to her?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)