|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Germaine look to Henry in the clear light of day?
(a) She always hides her face behind a fan.
(b) She has gold teeth and a geranium in her hat.
(c) She is overdressed in fine silks.
(d) She is overweight and has yellow complexion.
2. At the Villa Borghese, what is the Englishman doing upstairs?
(a) Cooking stew
(b) Playing Bach
(c) Hammering nails
(d) Tap dancing
3. What is Henry's perception of Mr. Wren, the American artist and writer?
(a) He is a better writer than Henry.
(b) He is someone Henry wants to know better.
(c) He makes no sense when he talks.
(d) He has everything because he has a rich wife.
4. What does the young Hindu do that upsets the madame?
(a) He smokes foul smelling Indian cigars.
(b) He beats up a girl.
(c) He refuses to pay.
(d) He uses the bidet for a toilet.
5. What lucky find does Henry make in the cafe?
(a) A ticket to a concert
(b) A wallet filled with francs
(c) A book by Papini
(d) A woman who loves to support artists
6. What author does Henry discover that cheers him?
(a) Immanuel Kant
(b) Benedetto Croce
7. About what does Serge want to learn?
(c) California wines
8. What does Henry think about when he listens to Debussy?
(a) He thinks about bedbugs and fleas.
(b) He thinks about his next meal.
(c) He thinks about where he can find a place to stay.
(d) He wonders how a woman feels during sex.
9. What is ironic about Henry's getting money from Peckover?
(a) Peckover is Sylvester's cousin.
(b) He is almost as impoverished as Henry.
(c) He and Henry have a long standing feud.
(d) Peckover cannot remember where he met Henry.
10. When Henry is writing about Claude, of whom is he really thinking?
11. How does Nanantatee irritate Henry?
(a) He cleans his apartment all the time.
(b) He insists on calling him Endree.
(c) He does not offer wine to Henry when he drinks.
(d) He tries to convert Henry to Hinduism.
12. What is Marlowe's usual trick to get out of paying a bar bill?
(a) He pretends he doesn't see the bill.
(b) He pretends he is going blind.
(c) He mumbles about leaving his wallet in other pants.
(d) He makes a quick trip to the toilet.
13. What is the movie playing at the Cine Combat?
(b) Gone With the Wind
(c) The Jazz Singer
14. Who helps get Henry out of Nanantatee's apartment much of the time?
(a) Sylvester and Tania
(c) A young Hindu lecturer from India
15. Why does Henry say that no one ever dies in Paris?
(a) No one stays long enough to die.
(b) People in Paris only drink wine.
(c) You can read the names of famous people written on walls.
(d) Paris never forgets imbecils.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens in Henry's head as Moldorf reads the letter from Fanny, his wife in America?
2. Sleeping on a mattress in the hall, what is Henry's troubled dream?
3. Where does Henry brush against Walter Pach?
4. Why can Henry not go to the cinema or into the opium joint?
5. Who does Henry believe is undermining him during the last days in Villa Borghese?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)