|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Henry thinking about as he walks along the Champs-Elysee?
(a) His superb health
(b) His empty stomach
(c) His new book
(d) His good friends
2. Why does Boris not introduce Henry to the American woman who comes to see the apartment?
(a) Because he fears Henry will say the wrong thing
(b) Because Henry needs a bath
(c) Because he hates Henry
(d) Because she is beautiful
3. What is Henry's metaphor for his artistic suffering?
(a) Walking on hot coals
(b) Being enslaved
(c) Lying down with lions
(d) Digging graves
4. Where are the people from who are coming to view the Villa Borghese apartment?
5. What emotion does Claude arouse in Henry?
6. What does Marlowe want Henry and Carl to do during his absence?
(a) Send him money
(b) Pay his bar bills
(c) Write his reviews for the newspaper
(d) Stay away from his wife
7. If Emerson is correct in saying that life consists of what a man thinks, what is Henry at this point?
(a) A wine bottle
(b) No words on a blank page
(c) A satyr
(d) One long intestine
8. What is the condition of the beds in the commune?
(a) They are used by three or four people at once.
(b) They have no blankets against the cold nights.
(c) They are crawling with bedbugs.
(d) They are straw mats on a hard floor.
9. What is Henry's description of Marlowe?
(a) A scarecrow in a cornfield
(b) A broomstick wearing clothes
(c) The living epitome of Ickabod Crane
(d) Nothing but a skull perforated by two deep sockets
10. What is Henry's perception of Mr. Wren, the American artist and writer?
(a) He is a better writer than Henry.
(b) He is someone Henry wants to know better.
(c) He has everything because he has a rich wife.
(d) He makes no sense when he talks.
11. Who helps get Henry out of Nanantatee's apartment much of the time?
(a) Sylvester and Tania
(d) A young Hindu lecturer from India
12. What does Henry resist taking from the Cronstadt baby?
(a) A Teddy bear
(b) A glass of milk
(c) A chicken bone
(d) A pacifier
13. What is the movie playing at the Cine Combat?
(a) Gone With the Wind
(d) The Jazz Singer
14. How does Henry describe the poor people of Paris?
(a) The proudest and filthiest lot of beggars on the earth
(b) A ubiquitous bestilence on the landscape
(c) Like bedbugs in a cheap hotel
(d) The stuff that penny operas are made of
15. What does Henry imagine is the value of the ring he tries to pawn?
(a) Thirty centimes
(b) A dollar and a half
(c) A pound and six pence
(d) Fifty francs
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title that Henry wishes he had thought of?
2. What makes Henry feel ill when he opens the door of the commune?
3. What surrounds Henry on his walk on the Rue de Buci?
4. What does Henry say about Napoleon?
5. Who does Henry believe is undermining him during the last days in Villa Borghese?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)