|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Henry is writing about Claude, of whom is he really thinking?
2. How does Henry picture Serge's lazy slut of a wife?
(a) As a fat American lying on the sofa eating bon bons.
(b) As an intelligent, hard working American woman.
(c) As a would-be writer with no talent.
(d) As an emaciated American woman with no ambition.
3. What is Henry's problem as the novel opens?
(a) He is seriously ill.
(b) He lost his wallet.
(c) He needs a desk or table to write on.
(d) He is about to be evicted.
4. Why does Henry say that no one ever dies in Paris?
(a) People in Paris only drink wine.
(b) Paris never forgets imbecils.
(c) No one stays long enough to die.
(d) You can read the names of famous people written on walls.
5. What surrounds Henry on his walk on the Rue de Buci?
(a) Police looking at him suspiciously
(b) Sidewalk food venders
(c) Beggars asking for food
(d) Hotels and food
6. Why does Boris not introduce Henry to the American woman who comes to see the apartment?
(a) Because he fears Henry will say the wrong thing
(b) Because she is beautiful
(c) Because Henry needs a bath
(d) Because he hates Henry
7. Who helps get Henry out of Nanantatee's apartment much of the time?
(a) A young Hindu lecturer from India
(d) Sylvester and Tania
8. What does the young Hindu do before leaving Paris?
(a) Gets drunk
(b) Gets the last of Henry's money
(c) Signs a book deal with a publisher
(d) Visits a brothel again
9. What deformity does Henry have in his fantasy at the cinema?
(a) He has a club foot.
(b) He has a glass eye.
(c) He has a crippled right hand.
(d) He is short like Moldorf.
10. How are Boris and Henry planning to write THE LAST BOOK?
(b) Dictating to a secretary
(c) In French and German
(d) Each one writing every other chapter
11. What is Henry thinking about as he walks along the Champs-Elysee?
(a) His empty stomach
(b) His new book
(c) His good friends
(d) His superb health
12. On what are Henry and Boris talking about collaborating?
(a) The Death of the World
(b) A History of the Left Bank
(c) The Last Book
(d) The End of Innocence
13. How does Henry describe Elsa's piano playing?
(a) Like wind howling through the trees
(b) Like divine music
(c) Like an out of tune organ
(d) Like broken pots and skulls clanking
14. How does Henry say he knows Nanantatee?
(a) Boris introduced them.
(b) They met on the ship coming from America.
(c) They met at the Dome.
(d) They met in New York.
15. Where does Henry stay warm on a cold Easter morning?
(a) In Eglise Ste.-Clotilde
(b) In the hotel lobby
(c) In bed
(d) In the Dome
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Carl say makes him want to go to Arizona?
2. What is the first thing the Hindu religious wants to do?
3. How does Kelpi make his living?
4. How does Moldorf view Sylvester?
5. What does Serge offer Henry in exchange for his services?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)