|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who asks Sylvester if he can stay with him until he goes to bed?
2. How does Moldorf view Sylvester?
(a) As a god
(b) As a great artist
(c) As an inept writer
(d) As a pitiful human being
3. If Emerson is correct in saying that life consists of what a man thinks, what is Henry at this point?
(a) No words on a blank page
(b) A wine bottle
(c) A satyr
(d) One long intestine
4. Why can Henry not go to the cinema or into the opium joint?
(a) He can't afford to be seen there.
(b) He has been banned from both places.
(c) He is short a few sous.
(d) He needs to save the money to buy breakfast.
5. Who does Henry believe is undermining him during the last days in Villa Borghese?
(a) Mona, his wife
(b) Fanny, Moldorf's wife
(c) Tania, Sylverster's wife
(d) Elsa, the maid
6. What does Serge offer Henry in exchange for his services?
(a) One meal a day and a place to sleep.
(b) A private loft where he can write.
(c) Fifty francs a week.
(d) Introductions to wealthy patrons.
7. What is the title that Henry wishes he had thought of?
(a) Man and Superman
(b) The Red Shoes
(c) The Sun Also Rises
(d) A Man Cut in Slices
8. What is Henry's derogatory name for the Indian, Nanantatee?
(a) Mr. Manatee
(b) Mr. Na-na-tatee
(c) Mr. Not a Tree
(d) Mr. Nonentity
9. What emotion does Claude arouse in Henry?
10. Who helps get Henry out of Nanantatee's apartment much of the time?
(a) A young Hindu lecturer from India
(d) Sylvester and Tania
11. On what are Henry and Boris talking about collaborating?
(a) The Death of the World
(b) The Last Book
(c) A History of the Left Bank
(d) The End of Innocence
12. In spite of Marlowe's assurances, what do Carl and Henry know he will not do?
(a) Write them them every day
(b) Pay them when he returns
(c) Recommend them for jobs
(d) Bring them souvenirs from America
13. Where does Henry brush against Walter Pach?
(a) In the Dome
(b) In the Tuileries
(c) In the cinema
(d) In the American Express office
14. How does Henry say Moldorf hears his own voice?
(a) He hears the monotone of the telegraph lines.
(b) He hears the pounding of the suft.
(c) He hears the whisper of the breeze.
(d) He hears a roar while others hear a squeak.
15. What does Henry buy with the money he takes from Peckover?
(a) A dozen eggs
(b) A cheap bottle of wine
(c) Coffee and a croissant
(d) An American breakfast
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry resist taking from the Cronstadt baby?
2. How do the commune people get money for food?
3. What is Henry's metaphor for his artistic suffering?
4. What is ironic about Henry's getting money from Peckover?
5. What does Henry say about Napoleon?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)