|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what person does Henry compare his writing?
(a) Boris, another writer
(b) Mona, his wife
(d) Moldorf, the dwarf
2. Why does Boris not introduce Henry to the American woman who comes to see the apartment?
(a) Because he fears Henry will say the wrong thing
(b) Because Henry needs a bath
(c) Because he hates Henry
(d) Because she is beautiful
3. Who asks Sylvester if he can stay with him until he goes to bed?
4. Who does Henry believe is undermining him during the last days in Villa Borghese?
(a) Elsa, the maid
(b) Mona, his wife
(c) Fanny, Moldorf's wife
(d) Tania, Sylverster's wife
5. What does Henry buy with the money he takes from Peckover?
(a) Coffee and a croissant
(b) A dozen eggs
(c) An American breakfast
(d) A cheap bottle of wine
6. What is Henry's description of Marlowe?
(a) A scarecrow in a cornfield
(b) Nothing but a skull perforated by two deep sockets
(c) The living epitome of Ickabod Crane
(d) A broomstick wearing clothes
7. What is Nanantatee's stated profession?
(a) A pearl merchant
(b) A Hindu mystic
(c) An art critic
(d) A newspaper publisher
8. Why is Serge happy to meet Henry?
(a) He needs a guide around Paris.
(b) He has read Henry's articles.
(c) He wants to meet Germaine.
(d) He wants an English teacher.
9. How does Germaine look to Henry in the clear light of day?
(a) She always hides her face behind a fan.
(b) She is overweight and has yellow complexion.
(c) She is overdressed in fine silks.
(d) She has gold teeth and a geranium in her hat.
10. What is Henry's metaphor for his artistic suffering?
(a) Lying down with lions
(b) Walking on hot coals
(c) Being enslaved
(d) Digging graves
11. To torment Carl, what gossip does Marlowe whisper in his ear?
(a) The police are looking for you.
(b) Your favorite girl has the clap.
(c) Your apartment building is about to be condemned.
(d) You're going to lose your job.
12. How does Moldorf view Sylvester?
(a) As a pitiful human being
(b) As an inept writer
(c) As a god
(d) As a great artist
13. What woman is Henry obsessed with?
(c) Mona Lisa
14. What price is extracted from Henry for his meals at the Cronstadts?
(a) Carbons and babysitting
(b) Cleaning the toilets
(c) Translating letters
(d) Reading from his manuscript
15. In Henry's fantasy about Fanny, what is happening to her?
(a) She is crying hysterically.
(b) She is blowing up li9ke a balloon.
(c) Something is tickling her.
(d) She is melting.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps get Henry out of Nanantatee's apartment much of the time?
2. About what does Serge want to learn?
3. How much money does Henry get from Peckover?
4. Sleeping on a mattress in the hall, what is Henry's troubled dream?
5. How does Henry say he knows Nanantatee?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)