|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What surrounds Henry on his walk on the Rue de Buci?
(a) Beggars asking for food
(b) Sidewalk food venders
(c) Police looking at him suspiciously
(d) Hotels and food
2. What is Henry thinking about as he walks along the Champs-Elysee?
(a) His new book
(b) His empty stomach
(c) His good friends
(d) His superb health
3. What is the title that Henry wishes he had thought of?
(a) The Red Shoes
(b) Man and Superman
(c) The Sun Also Rises
(d) A Man Cut in Slices
4. Where are the people from who are coming to view the Villa Borghese apartment?
5. What does the young Hindu do before leaving Paris?
(a) Signs a book deal with a publisher
(b) Gets drunk
(c) Visits a brothel again
(d) Gets the last of Henry's money
6. How does Kelpi make his living?
(a) Delivering messages.
(b) Collecting bottles for recycling.
(c) Picking tourists' pockets.
(d) Guiding tourists to places where he gets a commission.
7. What does Carl say makes him want to go to Arizona?
(a) It is a place where they look you square in the eye.
(b) It is a place where there is lots of space.
(c) It is a good place for his allergies.
(d) It is a place where he can find quiet to write.
8. What is the main thing worrying Henry about his writing?
(a) Not knowing where he can sit to write
(b) Someone stealing his ideas
(c) Having a serious writer's block
(d) Never having enough light to see by
9. Normally a slob, how does Nanantatee change after Henry moves in?
(a) He starts picking up after himself.
(b) He moves them into a fancy hotel.
(c) He becomes excessively clean.
(d) He hires a maid.
10. What makes Henry feel ill when he opens the door of the commune?
(a) The smell of cooking with rancid butter
(b) The body odor of the Russians
(c) The smell of disinfectants
(d) The stale smoke in the room
11. About what does Serge want to learn?
(d) California wines
12. Who asks Sylvester if he can stay with him until he goes to bed?
13. How does Henry say he knows Nanantatee?
(a) Boris introduced them.
(b) They met on the ship coming from America.
(c) They met at the Dome.
(d) They met in New York.
14. How does Moldorf view Sylvester?
(a) As a god
(b) As a great artist
(c) As an inept writer
(d) As a pitiful human being
15. How does Henry say Moldorf hears his own voice?
(a) He hears the whisper of the breeze.
(b) He hears the monotone of the telegraph lines.
(c) He hears a roar while others hear a squeak.
(d) He hears the pounding of the suft.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps get Henry out of Nanantatee's apartment much of the time?
2. What does the young Hindu do that upsets the madame?
3. Where has Henry taken the young Hindu for his sexual experience?
4. If Emerson is correct in saying that life consists of what a man thinks, what is Henry at this point?
5. Who does Henry believe is undermining him during the last days in Villa Borghese?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)