|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Henry always looking for a free meal?
(a) He is perpetually hungry.
(b) He is trying to cut down on his expenses.
(c) He is too miserly to buy for himself.
(d) He wants people to feel sorry for him.
2. Who does Henry praise for putting her whole soul into her whoring?
3. What is Henry's description of Marlowe?
(a) A scarecrow in a cornfield
(b) The living epitome of Ickabod Crane
(c) A broomstick wearing clothes
(d) Nothing but a skull perforated by two deep sockets
4. How does Henry describe Elsa's piano playing?
(a) Like wind howling through the trees
(b) Like broken pots and skulls clanking
(c) Like divine music
(d) Like an out of tune organ
5. Having gone all day without anything to eat, what enters Henry's mind?
(a) A book he read about cheap whores on the Rue du Pasteur-Wagner
(b) All the food that restaurants throw into the garbage bins
(c) A banquet he once attended where he ate pheasant under glass
(d) His wife Mona who is working and has plenty to eat
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Boris not introduce Henry to the American woman who comes to see the apartment?
2. What happens in Henry's head as Moldorf reads the letter from Fanny, his wife in America?
3. Why is Boris intimidated by his wife?
4. Where is Henry staying as the novel opens?
5. How does Henry say Moldorf hears his own voice?
This section contains 326 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)