|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Boris intimidated by his wife?
(a) She has all the money.
(b) She has two large brothers.
(c) She has many lovers.
(d) She weighs over 180 pounds.
2. What does Carl say makes him want to go to Arizona?
(a) It is a place where he can find quiet to write.
(b) It is a place where they look you square in the eye.
(c) It is a place where there is lots of space.
(d) It is a good place for his allergies.
3. Having gone all day without anything to eat, what enters Henry's mind?
(a) A book he read about cheap whores on the Rue du Pasteur-Wagner
(b) All the food that restaurants throw into the garbage bins
(c) His wife Mona who is working and has plenty to eat
(d) A banquet he once attended where he ate pheasant under glass
4. How does Henry sum up his idea of le bel aujourd'hui?
(a) Sunshine and lilacs all year long
(b) No sorrows, no regrets, no past, no future
(c) No memories, no suffering, no interruptions
(d) Sitting down to a good meal daily
5. What is Marlowe's usual trick to get out of paying a bar bill?
(a) He makes a quick trip to the toilet.
(b) He pretends he doesn't see the bill.
(c) He pretends he is going blind.
(d) He mumbles about leaving his wallet in other pants.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Henry believe is undermining him during the last days in Villa Borghese?
2. What has Van Norden lost at the Bal Negre?
3. What surrounds Henry on his walk on the Rue de Buci?
4. What is Henry thinking about as he walks along the Champs-Elysee?
5. How does Henry describe Elsa's piano playing?
This section contains 336 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)