|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Henry's metaphor for his artistic suffering?
(a) Walking on hot coals
(b) Digging graves
(c) Lying down with lions
(d) Being enslaved
2. Who comprises the communal life with Henry?
(a) Some crazy Russians, a Dutchman, and a Bulgarian woman nemed Olge
(b) A dormitory of university students
(c) Several young expatriate American students
(d) Some dwarfs from the Cirque Medrano
3. What author does Henry discover that cheers him?
(a) Immanuel Kant
(c) Benedetto Croce
4. What does Carl say makes him want to go to Arizona?
(a) It is a good place for his allergies.
(b) It is a place where he can find quiet to write.
(c) It is a place where there is lots of space.
(d) It is a place where they look you square in the eye.
5. Having gone all day without anything to eat, what enters Henry's mind?
(a) A book he read about cheap whores on the Rue du Pasteur-Wagner
(b) A banquet he once attended where he ate pheasant under glass
(c) All the food that restaurants throw into the garbage bins
(d) His wife Mona who is working and has plenty to eat
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are the people from who are coming to view the Villa Borghese apartment?
2. Why does Boris not introduce Henry to the American woman who comes to see the apartment?
3. What is the main thing worrying Henry about his writing?
4. What emotion does Claude arouse in Henry?
5. Where is Marlowe about to go?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)