|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In spite of Marlowe's assurances, what do Carl and Henry know he will not do?
(a) Recommend them for jobs
(b) Pay them when he returns
(c) Bring them souvenirs from America
(d) Write them them every day
2. What price is extracted from Henry for his meals at the Cronstadts?
(a) Reading from his manuscript
(b) Cleaning the toilets
(c) Translating letters
(d) Carbons and babysitting
3. Where does Henry brush against Walter Pach?
(a) In the Dome
(b) In the cinema
(c) In the American Express office
(d) In the Tuileries
4. Why is Henry always looking for a free meal?
(a) He is too miserly to buy for himself.
(b) He is perpetually hungry.
(c) He wants people to feel sorry for him.
(d) He is trying to cut down on his expenses.
5. What is Henry's metaphor for his artistic suffering?
(a) Walking on hot coals
(b) Lying down with lions
(c) Being enslaved
(d) Digging graves
Short Answer Questions
1. When Henry is writing about Claude, of whom is he really thinking?
2. Where is Marlowe about to go?
3. Who comprises the communal life with Henry?
4. What makes Henry feel ill when he opens the door of the commune?
5. What is Henry's problem as the novel opens?
This section contains 267 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)