|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Boris not introduce Henry to the American woman who comes to see the apartment?
(a) Because Henry needs a bath
(b) Because she is beautiful
(c) Because he fears Henry will say the wrong thing
(d) Because he hates Henry
2. What does Marlowe want Henry and Carl to do during his absence?
(a) Pay his bar bills
(b) Stay away from his wife
(c) Write his reviews for the newspaper
(d) Send him money
3. To torment Carl, what gossip does Marlowe whisper in his ear?
(a) Your apartment building is about to be condemned.
(b) Your favorite girl has the clap.
(c) The police are looking for you.
(d) You're going to lose your job.
4. What is Henry's metaphor for his artistic suffering?
(a) Lying down with lions
(b) Digging graves
(c) Walking on hot coals
(d) Being enslaved
5. What has Van Norden lost at the Bal Negre?
(a) His gold pen
(b) His false teeth
(c) His wallet
(d) His toupee
Short Answer Questions
1. In spite of Marlowe's assurances, what do Carl and Henry know he will not do?
2. What is Henry's description of Marlowe?
3. How does Henry slightly disagree with Papini?
4. What is Marlowe's usual trick to get out of paying a bar bill?
5. What is Henry's problem as the novel opens?
This section contains 317 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)