|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Henry writing letters to Irene?
(a) She answers her letter with money enclosed.
(b) She has a room for rent in her house.
(c) She is a great literary agent.
(d) She is the rich woman they are trying to secure for Carl.
2. What does Macha do immediately when she sees that two men live at Fillmore's place?
(a) She begins to try and play them against each other.
(b) She informs them that she is not that kind of woman.
(c) She gets frightened and leaves.
(d) She sizes up which one has the money.
3. How is Henry greeted by Macha when he first meets her?
(a) She refuses to recognize his presence.
(b) She says, "So you're the writer."
(c) She looks at him imperiously and asks if he's the butler.
(d) She comes to the door wearing only a filmy negligee.
4. Why is Fillmore so taken with Macha?
(a) He is impressed with her title.
(b) He thinks she may know a princess for Henry.
(c) He believes she will make him a duke.
(d) He expects her to fall in love with him.
5. What is Henry thinking about as he walks along the Champs-Elysee?
(a) His new book
(b) His empty stomach
(c) His good friends
(d) His superb health
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the physical ailments of the people in Fillmore's apartment?
2. What is Henry's opinion about the war games that take place at the barracks next to Fillmore's place?
3. Why does Van Norden insist that his teeth are all rotten?
4. To torment Carl, what gossip does Marlowe whisper in his ear?
5. What does Van Norden call everyone?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)