|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Chaucer say should always remember this story?
2. How does Chaucer describe Troilus' condition at the beginning of Book II?
3. Who is the patron God to Troilus' people?
4. What type of work is "The Siege of Thebes"?
5. Which of the following persons does Chaucer call on for help in Book II?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the introduction, how does Chaucer say that the book will end?
2. What advice does Pandarus give Troilus after hearing how serious his love sickness is? How does Troilus respond?
3. What does Pandarus tell Troilus to do after he returns from his visit with Criseyde?
4. What does Pandarus say Troilus should do before opting for death?
5. How does Troilus respond to his first letter from Crisedye?
6. What does Crisedye decide to do about poor Troilus and his love for her?
7. What is Pandarus' second scheme to bring Criseyde and Troilus together?
8. What does Chaucer say about Criseyde's first sight of Troilus?
9. According to Chaucer, how does Fortune generally work with men?
10. Why does Troilus say that he must always keep his love for Criseyde a secret?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places in which this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes those changes?
Essay Topic 2
What was the image associated with Fate, and how did it come to play in the plot of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of those places, and what role did despair play in this book?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)