|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pandarus tell Criseyde to do when he gets there?
2. During which season do the people honor their patron God?
3. How does Chaucer describe Troilus' condition at the beginning of Book II?
4. How are Pandarus and Criseyde related?
5. What does Chaucer ask the reader to withhold at the beginning of Book II?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Pandarus' second scheme to bring Criseyde and Troilus together?
2. What does Criseyde think about when she sees Troilus for the first time following Pandarus' visit?
3. Why does Troilus say that he must always keep his love for Criseyde a secret?
4. What does Pandarus say Troilus should do before opting for death?
5. What does Pandarus tell Troilus to do after he returns from his visit with Criseyde?
6. How does Troilus respond to his first letter from Crisedye?
7. What advice does Pandarus give Troilus after hearing how serious his love sickness is? How does Troilus respond?
8. In the introduction, how does Chaucer say that the book will end?
9. How did Troilus fall in love with Criseyde?
10. What does Crisedye decide to do about poor Troilus and his love for her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances in which those themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 2
What were some of Criseyde's reservations about starting a relationship with Troilus, and how were they resolved throughout the Poem?
Essay Topic 3
When did Chaucer directly address the reader, what did he say, and how did these instances affect the tone of the Poem?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)