|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Chaucer's plea at the beginning of Book II?
2. Where is Troilus when he first sees Criseyde?
3. Who finds Troilus crying?
4. What type of work is "The Siege of Thebes"?
5. Who is with Criseyde when Pandarus goes to see her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Chaucer say is his intent in writing this story?
2. What does Criseyde think about when she sees Troilus for the first time following Pandarus' visit?
3. What does Troilus do after talking with Pandarus?
4. How does Troilus calm Pandarus when the latter begins to feel ashamed?
5. Why does Calkas want to trade Antenor for Criseyde?
6. How does Criseyde respond to the second meeting that she has with Pandarus?
7. What excuse does Troilus give for believing the rumors about Criseyde's unfaithfulness?
8. Why does Troilus curse the sun?
9. What does Criseyde promise Troilus while they are at the dinner party?
10. Why does Hector oppose the trade of Criseyde for Antenor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of those symbols?
Essay Topic 2
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of those instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Power and Greed were two common themes in this book. Where did they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
This section contains 1,086 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)