|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who protects Criseyde when the people want to kill her?
2. What is Calkas' occupation?
3. How are Pandarus and Criseyde related?
4. Who does Chaucer address at the beginning of Book I?
5. What does Criseyde call Hector when talking to Pandarus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two things does Criseyde think about after Pandarus leaves her house?
2. What does Pandarus say when he hears who Troilus loves?
3. What is Pandarus' second scheme to bring Criseyde and Troilus together?
4. What does the cry through the city after Pandarus' visit signal?
5. How does Antigone affect Criseyde's decision about Troilus?
6. Why does Troilus say that he must always keep his love for Criseyde a secret?
7. In the introduction, how does Chaucer say that the book will end?
8. According to Chaucer, how does Fortune generally work with men?
9. What does Pandarus tell Troilus to do after he returns from his visit with Criseyde?
10. What does Pandarus say Troilus should do before opting for death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Power and Greed were two common themes in this book. Where did they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do those instances affect the characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 3
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of those symbols?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)