|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book I, what kind of story does Chaucer say is in this poem?
2. What does Pandarus say that he will do if Criseyde will not help Troilus?
3. Who is Chaucer talking to at the beginning of Book II?
4. What does Criseyde call Hector when talking to Pandarus?
5. What type of work is "The Siege of Thebes"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice does Pandarus give Troilus after hearing how serious his love sickness is? How does Troilus respond?
2. What is Pandarus' second scheme to bring Criseyde and Troilus together?
3. How does Criseyde respond to the second meeting that she has with Pandarus?
4. Why does Troilus say that he must always keep his love for Criseyde a secret?
5. What is Fortune according to Chaucer?
6. What does Pandarus lecture Troilus about when he hears that Troilus is in love?
7. What does Chaucer say about Criseyde's first sight of Troilus?
8. What does Pandarus say to Criseyde about Troilus when she asks about him?
9. According to Chaucer, how does Fortune generally work with men?
10. What does Pandarus tell Troilus to do after he returns from his visit with Criseyde?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were some of the forms of foreshadowing used in this book, and how did those moments affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of those places, and what role did despair play in this book?
Essay Topic 3
What was Pandarus' plan to get Troilus and Criseyde together, and how did it pan out in the end?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)