|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Chaucer's plea at the beginning of Book II?
2. What does Chaucer say he hopes his poem provides?
3. Which of the following does Troilus say that he will never lose sleep over in Book I?
4. Why does Criseyde always wear one color?
5. How are Troilus and Hector related?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the introduction, how does Chaucer say that the book will end?
2. How does Antigone affect Criseyde's decision about Troilus?
3. What does Pandarus say to Criseyde about Troilus when she asks about him?
4. How does Criseyde respond to the second meeting that she has with Pandarus?
5. What is Pandarus' second scheme to bring Criseyde and Troilus together?
6. What does Pandarus say when he hears who Troilus loves?
7. How does Troilus respond to his first letter from Crisedye?
8. How did Troilus feel about love before he was struck with love for Criseyde?
9. What does Chaucer say is his intent in writing this story?
10. What does the cry through the city after Pandarus' visit signal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of those places, and what role did despair play in this book?
Essay Topic 2
What were some of Criseyde's reservations about starting a relationship with Troilus, and how were they resolved throughout the Poem?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do those instances affect the characters involved in those scenes?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)