|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is with Criseyde when Pandarus goes to see her?
2. During which season do the people honor their patron God?
3. What does Pandarus tell Criseyde that the dream that she had the night of the festival is likely to bring to her?
4. What promise did Pandarus make Troilus?
5. What does Chaucer ask the reader to withhold at the beginning of Book II?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Chaucer, how does Fortune generally work with men?
2. What advice does Pandarus give Troilus after hearing how serious his love sickness is? How does Troilus respond?
3. What does Pandarus say to Criseyde about Troilus when she asks about him?
4. What does Pandarus tell Troilus to do after he returns from his visit with Criseyde?
5. What does Pandarus say Troilus should do before opting for death?
6. What is Pandarus' second scheme to bring Criseyde and Troilus together?
7. What does Criseyde think about when she sees Troilus for the first time following Pandarus' visit?
8. What does Pandarus lecture Troilus about when he hears that Troilus is in love?
9. Why does Criseyde debate showing her feelings to Troilus?
10. What does Chaucer say is his intent in writing this story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What mythological figures played roles in this Poem, and how did their inclusion in the plot affect the course of the action?
Essay Topic 2
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances in which those themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 3
Troilus endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of those trials, and what lessons does he learn through those experiences?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)