|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Chaucer address at the beginning of Book I?
(a) The reader.
(b) The characters.
(c) His ancestors.
(d) His children.
2. What does the narrator say helps Criseyde outshine all the other women?
(a) Her grace.
(b) All of the answer choices are correct.
(c) Her noble stature.
(d) Her beauty.
3. What does Pandarus say will make Criseyde the proudest woman on Earth?
(a) His blessing.
(b) His secret.
(c) Her father's legacy.
(d) Her new suitor.
4. Troilus always mocks others for which of the following?
(a) Speaking poorly.
(b) Getting drunk.
(c) Being poorly dressed.
(d) Being lovestruck.
5. What does Troilus have to keep a secret from others in Book I?
(a) His feelings for Criseyde.
(b) His shameful father.
(c) His alliance with the Greeks.
(d) His sickness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pandarus tell Criseyde to do when he gets there?
2. What is Criseyde doing when Pandarus visits her?
3. Why does Criseyde not have anyone to protect her?
4. What does Pandarus say will help him help Troilus?
5. What makes Troilus a braver and stronger warrior at the beginning of Book I?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Troilus say that he must always keep his love for Criseyde a secret?
2. What does Criseyde think about when she sees Troilus for the first time following Pandarus' visit?
3. What is Pandarus' second scheme to bring Criseyde and Troilus together?
4. What does the cry through the city after Pandarus' visit signal?
5. In the introduction, how does Chaucer say that the book will end?
6. How does Troilus respond to his first letter from Crisedye?
7. What is Fortune according to Chaucer?
8. What does Pandarus say Troilus should do before opting for death?
9. What advice does Pandarus give Troilus after hearing how serious his love sickness is? How does Troilus respond?
10. How does Criseyde respond to the second meeting that she has with Pandarus?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)