|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pandarus say that Troilus might do because of his love for Criseyde?
(b) Go insane.
(d) Join a seminary.
2. Why does Cupid get mad at Troilus?
(a) Because he does not pray.
(b) Because his sacrifice is lacking.
(c) Because he gives more tribute to Aphrodite.
(d) Because he mocks love.
3. Troilus always tries to set an example for which of the following?
(a) Younger knights.
(b) The ladies.
(c) His siblings.
(d) The enemy.
4. Where is this poem set?
5. Why does Criseyde feel the way that she does when Pandarus tells her to do something when he goes to see her?
(a) It is hard to be happy when the city is at war.
(b) She feels that her past is what has made her into a woman.
(c) It is exciting to have something to anticipate with eagerness.
(d) She has no reason to follow his instructions.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chaucer say he hopes his poem provides?
2. Why do the townspeople want to kill Criseyde?
3. What does Criseyde tell Pandarus would make her very happy when he visits her?
4. Who does Chaucer call on for help in Book II?
5. How does Chaucer describe Troilus' condition at the beginning of Book II?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Chaucer, how does Fortune generally work with men?
2. What does Pandarus say Troilus should do before opting for death?
3. What does Pandarus say to Criseyde about Troilus when she asks about him?
4. What advice does Pandarus give Troilus after hearing how serious his love sickness is? How does Troilus respond?
5. What does Pandarus lecture Troilus about when he hears that Troilus is in love?
6. What does Criseyde think about when she sees Troilus for the first time following Pandarus' visit?
7. What does Chaucer say is his intent in writing this story?
8. How does Antigone affect Criseyde's decision about Troilus?
9. What is Fortune according to Chaucer?
10. How did Troilus fall in love with Criseyde?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)