|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Chaucer say should always remember this story?
(a) Anyone who has been in love.
(b) Anyone who has gone to war.
(c) Anyone who has been lonely.
(d) Anyone who has been in pain.
2. Who does Chaucer say will get the most out of this poem?
(a) Those who are patient and content.
(b) Those who are bitter and estranged.
(c) Those who have loved and lost.
(d) Those who have seen men die.
3. Why does Criseyde always wear one color?
(a) She has a missing child.
(b) She is marked a traitor.
(c) She is a student.
(d) She is a widow.
4. What does a friend of Troilus say to try to make him mad?
(a) That a knight like him will never advance in the ranks.
(b) That he is sad about the Greek blood that he has spilt.
(c) That his father is a traitor and so is he.
(d) That Criseyde will never love a commoner.
5. What kind of adventure does Chaucer say Troilus will have in this poem?
(a) A love adventure.
(b) A war adventure.
(c) An internal adventure.
(d) A growing adventure.
6. Who does Criseyde tell Pandarus that she dreamt about the night of the festival?
(b) Her late husband.
(c) An unknown knight.
(d) Her father.
7. What is Criseyde most concerned about when she hears about Troilus' love for her?
(b) Her dowry.
(c) His loyalty.
(d) His status.
8. Why does Cupid get mad at Troilus?
(a) Because he gives more tribute to Aphrodite.
(b) Because he does not pray.
(c) Because his sacrifice is lacking.
(d) Because he mocks love.
9. Which of the following persons does Chaucer call on for help in Book II?
(a) A siren.
(b) A goddess.
(c) A nymph.
(d) A muse.
10. What does Cupid do when he gets mad at Troilus?
(a) He condemns his house.
(b) He confuses his sense.
(c) He shoots an arrow at him.
(d) He forbids Fortune from visiting him.
11. What is Chaucer's plea at the beginning of Book II?
(a) To loverlook his weakness.
(b) To accept the story as it is.
(c) To believe his words.
(d) To personalize the story.
12. What promise did Pandarus make Troilus?
(a) That he would be gentle and discreet.
(b) All of the answer choices are correct.
(c) That he would keep the love between him (Troilus) and Criseyde love a secret.
(d) That he would help him get his love.
13. Who is with Criseyde when Pandarus goes to see her?
(a) A foreign dignitary.
(c) Two ladies.
14. What does Pandarus tell Criseyde to do when he gets there?
(a) Forget the past.
(b) Follow his instructions.
(c) Be happy.
(d) Broaden her horizons.
15. What does Troilus have to keep a secret from others in Book I?
(a) His feelings for Criseyde.
(b) His alliance with the Greeks.
(c) His shameful father.
(d) His sickness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Troilus a braver and stronger warrior at the beginning of Book I?
2. What does Troilus say is his friend's biggest weakness?
3. How does Troilus pass his judgment on others?
4. Who does Chaucer address at the beginning of Book I?
5. What is happening at the beginning of the poem?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)