|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Criseyde not have anyone to protect her?
(a) She is poor.
(b) She is a widow.
(c) Her father has left her.
(d) All of the answer choices are correct.
2. How are Pandarus and Criseyde related?
(a) He is a family friend.
(b) He is her cousin.
(c) He is her uncle.
(d) He is her godfather.
3. Who does Chaucer address at the beginning of Book I?
(a) His ancestors.
(b) The reader.
(c) The characters.
(d) His children.
4. What type of work is "The Siege of Thebes"?
(a) A novel.
(b) A history.
(c) A poem.
(d) A short story.
5. What does Pandarus do when he first wakes up?
(a) He reads a psalm.
(b) He checks the horoscope.
(c) All of the answer choices are correct.
(d) He meditates.
6. Why does Criseyde feel the way that she does when Pandarus tells her to do something when he goes to see her?
(a) She feels that her past is what has made her into a woman.
(b) She has no reason to follow his instructions.
(c) It is exciting to have something to anticipate with eagerness.
(d) It is hard to be happy when the city is at war.
7. What does Pandarus say makes women lonely in old age?
(a) Wearing black.
(b) Rising above love.
(c) Staying indoors.
(d) Being unkind.
8. What is Criseyde doing when Pandarus visits her?
(a) Writing her history.
(b) Making a cup of tea.
(c) Reading a poem.
(d) Painting a landscape.
9. What title does Troilus hold?
10. Who finds Troilus crying?
11. What does Pandarus say that he will do if Criseyde will not help Troilus?
(a) Shun her.
(b) Stop helping her father.
(c) Take away his blessing.
(d) Kill himself.
12. What does Pandarus say that Troilus is when he is not in battle?
13. What does Chaucer say affects all people differently?
14. What does Troilus do to leave the festival early?
(a) He pretends to be sick.
(b) He reads a poem.
(c) He pays a fee.
(d) He pretends he has important work to do.
15. How does Pandarus decide that it is a good time to see Criseyde?
(a) He says a prayer.
(b) He asks a priest.
(c) He sees her name on a house.
(d) He checks the horoscope.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Troilus pass his judgment on others?
2. How does Criseyde feel when Pandarus tells her to do something when he visits her?
3. How does Pandarus say that Troilus acts in battle?
4. What does Chaucer say he hopes his poem provides?
5. What is happening at the beginning of the poem?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)