|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Troilus stop eating?
(a) Because he is conserving food.
(b) Because he is part of a ritual.
(c) Because he is fasting.
(d) Because he is lovesick.
2. Who protects Criseyde when the people want to kill her?
3. How does Troilus feel about Criseyde when he first sees her?
(a) He falls in love with her instantly.
(b) He tries to remember whether he has met her before.
(c) He is afraid to be near a traitor.
(d) He hardly notices her.
4. Why does Criseyde always wear one color?
(a) She is a widow.
(b) She is marked a traitor.
(c) She has a missing child.
(d) She is a student.
5. What does Criseyde say about Troilus when talking to Pandarus?
(a) That she finds him to act juvenile.
(b) That he will never be as great as Hector.
(c) That she has never heard of him.
(d) That he is worthy of praise.
6. What does Chaucer ask the reader to withhold at the beginning of Book II?
(a) Curiosity about Criseyde.
(b) Impatience for Pandarus.
(c) Hostility toward Calkas.
(d) Judgement for Troilus.
7. In Book I, what kind of story does Chaucer say is in this poem?
8. Which of the following does Troilus say that he will never lose sleep over in Book I?
9. How does Criseyde feel when Pandarus tells her to do something when he visits her?
10. What does Chaucer say he hopes his poem provides?
11. What kind of adventure does Chaucer say Troilus will have in this poem?
(a) A growing adventure.
(b) A war adventure.
(c) A love adventure.
(d) An internal adventure.
12. Who does Chaucer say will get the most out of this poem?
(a) Those who are patient and content.
(b) Those who have seen men die.
(c) Those who have loved and lost.
(d) Those who are bitter and estranged.
13. What does Pandarus say that Troilus might do because of his love for Criseyde?
(a) Go insane.
(b) Join a seminary.
14. What does Pandarus tell Criseyde that the dream that she had the night of the festival is likely to bring to her?
(a) Good fortune.
(c) Bad luck.
15. Who does Chaucer say should always remember this story?
(a) Anyone who has been in pain.
(b) Anyone who has been lonely.
(c) Anyone who has gone to war.
(d) Anyone who has been in love.
Short Answer Questions
1. What promise did Pandarus make Troilus?
2. How are Pandarus and Criseyde related?
3. What is Calkas' occupation?
4. Why does Criseyde say that she wants Pandarus to stay with her?
5. What type of work is "The Siege of Thebes"?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)