|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mr. Spinell humming as he walks in Chapter 12?
2. Why does Mr. Spinell say that he refers to Mr. Kloterjahn as he does?
3. What does Mr. Spinell do while leaving the room after the pianist stops playing in Chapter 8?
4. What does Mr. Spinell say he can picture on Gabriele’s head?
5. How does Mr. Spinell react to the person he sees on his walk in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mr. Spinell do before leaving the room in Chapter 8, after Gabriele played the piano?
2. What does Mr. Kloterjahn do in response to Mr. Spinell's letter?
3. Why does Mr. Spinell mail the letter as opposed to hand-delivering it?
4. What is the piece of music that Mr. Spinell is so excited to find?
5. How does Mr. Kloterjahn react differently to women than Mr. Spinell?
6. What story does Mr. Spinell want to tell in the letter he composes in Chapter 10?
7. According to Mr. Klotejahn in Chapter 11, what were Gabriele and her friends really doing in the garden by the fountain?
8. What does Mr. Kloterjahn finally admit was the causes of Gabriele’s illness?
9. Why does Mrs. Kloterjahn initially refuse to play piano for Mr. Spinell?
10. What has caused Gabriele’s condition to worsen in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mr. Spinell believes himself to be in love with Gabriele. What does this say about his character? What does this say about their relationship? Do we, as readers, believe that he truly loves and understands Gabriele? Why or why not? Does she feel the same way about him?
Essay Topic 2
The novella takes place entirely in Einfried, a sanitarium. Why did Mann choose this setting for his novella? How might the novella be different if the setting were changed? What significance does the sanitarium have for the novella? What does it represent?
Essay Topic 3
The concepts of Art and the Artist are key in Tristan.How does Mann view art? How does he view and characterize artists? Does he see the artistic impulse as a strength or a weakness? Why?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)