|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mr. Spinell ask to play the piano?
2. What is Mr. Spinell suffering from when Mr. Kloterjahn enters his room?
3. What patients are in Dr. Muller’s care?
4. How is Mr. Spinell's letter described stylistically?
5. What does Mr. Kloterjahn do immediately after arriving at Einfried?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do we know that playing the piano has put a strain on Gabriele Kloterjahn?
2. What has Mr. Kloterjahn supposedly done to Gabriele, according to Mr. Spinell's letter in Chapter 10?
3. According to Mr. Spinell, why is what he is saying to Mr. Kloterjahn in Chapter 10 not an insult?
4. How does Mr. Spinell describe the scene within his letter in Chapter 10?
5. Why does Mrs. Kloterjahn initially refuse to play piano for Mr. Spinell?
6. What eventually convinced Gabriele’s father to let her marry Mr. Kloterjahn?
7. How much of the music that Mr. Spinell found in Chapter 8 does Mrs. Kloterjahn play?
8. What does Mr. Kloterjahn do in response to Mr. Spinell's letter?
9. What is the piece of music that Mr. Spinell is so excited to find?
10. What does Dr. Muller recommend in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As with any author, Mann’s writing drew on his own life and experiences. What experiences did Mann live through that may have had an influence on his writing?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Gabriele Kloterjahn’s character and how she embodies major themes in Tristan. How does Mann characterize Mrs. Kloterjahn? As an artist, what does she seem to represent? What does her illness represent? Does Mann seem to be making any kind of commentary with her character? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The concepts of Art and the Artist are key in Tristan.How does Mann view art? How does he view and characterize artists? Does he see the artistic impulse as a strength or a weakness? Why?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)