|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Kloterjahn say to Mr. Spinell about his sleeping habits?
2. How long have the Kloterjahns been married?
3. How is Mrs. Kloterjahn described?
4. How many children do the Kloterjahns have?
5. Where is Mr. Spinell introduced to the Kloterjahns?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn’t Dr. Leander consult with Dr. Muller on Gabriele’s case?
2. Why does Mr. Spinell look at beautiful women out of the corner of his eye?
3. What is Mr. Spinell like when he is “sociable”?
4. How do we know that Mr. Kloterjahn is an Anglophile?
5. What seems to be Dr. Leander’s opinion of Mr. Spinell?
6. Why is Miss van Osterloh said to feel reproachful towards men?
7. Why are specific cases in particular Dr. Muller’s responsibility?
8. When is Mr. Spinell sociable?
9. What does the vein do to Gabriele Kloterjahn’s countenance?
10. Why does Mr. Spinell say that he is staying at Einfried?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mann uses various psychological concepts, including that of Freud’s sublimation, in Tristan. What is sublimation? How does it appear in and contribute to the novella? How do the characters use sublimation? How does the concept of sublimation relate to Mann’s interpretation of art and the artist?
Essay Topic 2
The novella takes place entirely in Einfried, a sanitarium. Why did Mann choose this setting for his novella? How might the novella be different if the setting were changed? What significance does the sanitarium have for the novella? What does it represent?
Essay Topic 3
The concepts of Art and the Artist are key in Tristan.How does Mann view art? How does he view and characterize artists? Does he see the artistic impulse as a strength or a weakness? Why?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)