|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who becomes Mrs. Kloterjahn’s mentor?
2. What is the name of Mr. Kloterjahn’s business?
3. What color is Mrs. Kloterjahn’s hair?
4. What did Mrs. Kloterjahn’s former doctor forbid her from doing?
5. How does the writer spend the majority of his time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mr. Spinell say that he is hypocritical?
2. What does the vein do to Gabriele Kloterjahn’s countenance?
3. How does Mrs. Kloterjahn seem to feel about Mr. Spinell?
4. How is it obvious that Mrs. Kloterjahn is devoted to Mr. Kloterjahn?
5. How do we know that Mr. Kloterjahn is an Anglophile?
6. Why does Gabriele Kloterjahn’s inspect her handkerchief after she clears her throat?
7. What are Dr. Muller’s responsibilities?
8. Why doesn’t Dr. Leander consult with Dr. Muller on Gabriele’s case?
9. Why does Mr. Spinell look at beautiful women out of the corner of his eye?
10. What is the one imperfection in Gabriele Kloterjahn’s face?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mr. Spinell’s letter is an important part of the novella, as it describes his idea of his relationship with Gabriele. Why does Mr. Spinell write the letter? Why does he mail it instead of delivering it to Mr. Kloterjahn himself? How does he describe his relationship with Gabriele Kloterjahn? Why does he view their relationship this way? How does Mr. Spinell view Mr. Kloterjahn and his relationship with his wife?
Essay Topic 2
Mann uses various psychological concepts, including that of Freud’s sublimation, in Tristan. What is sublimation? How does it appear in and contribute to the novella? How do the characters use sublimation? How does the concept of sublimation relate to Mann’s interpretation of art and the artist?
Essay Topic 3
The concepts of Art and the Artist are key in Tristan.How does Mann view art? How does he view and characterize artists? Does he see the artistic impulse as a strength or a weakness? Why?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)