|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What response does Mr. Spinell usually get from the letters he writes?
(a) He is constantly receiving letters.
(b) No response at all.
(c) His letters are returned to him unopened.
(d) He receives one or two letters in reply per day.
2. How does Mr. Spinell react when Mr. Kloterjahn enters his room in Chapter 11?
(a) He faints.
(b) He punches him.
(c) He laughs.
(d) He blushes.
3. Why does the person who interrupts Mr. Kloterjahn and Mr. Spinell in Chapter 11 do so?
(a) She wants to borrow a book.
(b) Gabriele is asking for Mr. Spinell.
(c) Gabriele is asking for her husband.
(d) Gabriele has taken a turn for the worse.
4. How does Mr. Spinell confess that he feels about Mr. Kloterjahn and his son?
(a) He is indifferent to them.
(b) He hates them but does not despise them.
(c) He despises them.
(d) He loves them.
5. How is Mr. Spinell's mood after he hears the news about Gabriele in Chapter 12?
(a) He is giddy.
(b) He is very worked up and cannot calm down.
(c) He is sad and cannot stop crying.
(d) He is tired.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Mr. Spinell's letter described stylistically?
2. How does Mr. Kloterjahn characterize Mr. Spinell’s letter?
3. How does Mr. Spinell feel about the name Kloterjahn?
4. What instrument does Gabriele’s father play?
5. Who interrupts Mr. Spinell and the pianist in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mr. Spinell see on his walk at the end of the book?
2. How does Mr. Kloterjahn say that he will get even with Mr. Spinell after Mr. Spinell's letter?
3. How does Mr. Spinell ultimately convince Mrs. Kloterjahn to play piano?
4. Why does Mr. Spinell find the scene of Gabriele and her friends in the garden so beautiful?
5. According to Mr. Spinell, why is what he is saying to Mr. Kloterjahn in Chapter 10 not an insult?
6. Why does Mr. Spinell mail the letter as opposed to hand-delivering it?
7. What does Mr. Spinell do before leaving the room in Chapter 8, after Gabriele played the piano?
8. What does Dr. Muller recommend in Chapter 9?
9. What is the piece of music that Mr. Spinell is so excited to find?
10. Why does Mrs. Kloterjahn initially refuse to play piano for Mr. Spinell?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)