|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where would Gabriele sit with her friends when she was young?
(a) By a lagoon under a large tree.
(b) By the fountain in her garden.
(c) In her room.
(d) In the front lawn.
2. Who does Mr. Spinell credit with having brought beauty back into Gabriele’s life?
(a) Gabriele herself.
(b) Her father.
(d) Mrs. Spatz.
3. How does Mr. Spinell get the letter to Mr. Kloterjahn in Chapter 10?
(a) He has Gabriele give it to him.
(b) He mails it.
(c) He asks Miss van Osterloh to deliver it.
(d) He hand-delivers it.
4. How does Mr. Kloterjahn say he responded to Mr. Spinell’s letter?
(a) It made him pensive.
(b) It made him angry.
(c) It made him laugh.
(d) It made him cry.
5. Why does Mr. Kloterjahn call Mr. Spinell a coward?
(a) He doesn’t have the guts to express his love to Gabriele.
(b) He didn’t fight in the war.
(c) He is nice to his face, and then sends him an insulting letter.
(d) He hides from the world in the sanitarium.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mr. Kloterjahn, how did Gabriele treat him and their son?
2. Who does Mr. Spinell ask to play the piano?
3. How is Mr. Spinell's letter described in terms of content?
4. How long had Gabriele and her husband known each other when he proposed?
5. How much of the opera does Mr. Spinell hear in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story does Mr. Spinell want to tell in the letter he composes in Chapter 10?
2. What does Dr. Muller recommend in Chapter 9?
3. How does Mr. Kloterjahn react differently to women than Mr. Spinell?
4. How does Mr. Spinell ultimately convince Mrs. Kloterjahn to play piano?
5. Who, according to Mr. Spinell, is to be credited with bringing beauty back into Gabriele’s life?
6. Why does Mrs. Kloterjahn initially refuse to play piano for Mr. Spinell?
7. How is the letter that Mr. Spinell writes in Chapter 10 described?
8. What does Dr. Leander recommend as treatment for Gabriele’s worsening condition?
9. What has caused Gabriele’s condition to worsen in Chapter 9?
10. How do we know that playing the piano has put a strain on Gabriele Kloterjahn?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)