|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn’t Mr. Kloterjahn do what he wants to do to Mr. Spinell in Chapter 11?
(a) He doesn’t want to hurt Mr. Spinell’s feelings.
(b) It is against his values.
(c) It is against the law.
(d) Gabriele would be upset.
2. How does Mr. Kloterjahn characterize Mr. Spinell’s letter?
3. How does Dr. Muller summon the person(s) to Einfried to see Gabriele?
4. What season is it in Chapter 12?
5. How is Mr. Spinell's mood after he hears the news about Gabriele in Chapter 12?
(a) He is giddy.
(b) He is very worked up and cannot calm down.
(c) He is tired.
(d) He is sad and cannot stop crying.
6. Who does Gabriele say that her son resembles?
(a) Her father.
(b) Mr. Spinell.
(d) Her husband.
7. How does Mr. Spinell feel about the infant he sees from his window?
8. Why does Mrs. Spatz leave in Chapter 8?
(a) She is bored.
(b) She feels ill.
(c) She is hungry.
(d) She receives a letter.
9. According to Mr. Kloterjahn, where is the only place Mr. Spinell has courage?
(a) In person.
(b) On paper.
(c) In his bedroom.
(d) When he is with Gabriele.
10. What response does Mr. Spinell usually get from the letters he writes?
(a) His letters are returned to him unopened.
(b) He receives one or two letters in reply per day.
(c) No response at all.
(d) He is constantly receiving letters.
11. Why didn’t Gabriele kiss their son, according to Mr. Kloterjahn?
(a) Because of her illness.
(b) Her son wouldn't let her.
(c) Because she no longer loves him.
(d) She was too weak to.
12. What scene does Mr. Spinell describe in his letter?
(a) That of Mr. and Mrs. Kloterjahn’s wedding.
(b) That of Gabriele and her friends by the fountain in her garden.
(c) That of Gabriele playing Tristan und Isolde for him.
(d) That of his own childhood.
13. Why does Mr. Kloterjahn call Mr. Spinell a coward?
(a) He hides from the world in the sanitarium.
(b) He didn’t fight in the war.
(c) He doesn’t have the guts to express his love to Gabriele.
(d) He is nice to his face, and then sends him an insulting letter.
14. Why does Mr. Spinell say that he refers to Mr. Kloterjahn as he does?
(a) Because he wants to insult him.
(b) Because it is his vocation to call things by their true names.
(c) Because he hates Mr. Kloterjahn.
(d) Because he has a habit of exaggerating things.
15. What is the person that Mr. Spinell sees on his walk doing in Chapter 12?
(c) Laughing with joy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Gabriele’s father eventually let her marry Mr. Kloterjahn?
2. What is Mr. Kloterjahn going to do when he gets back home?
3. According to Mr. Spinell, what was Mr. Kloterjahn’s intention upon viewing the scene described in his letter?
4. What does Mr. Spinell do after hearing the person he sees on his walk laugh in Chapter 12?
5. How does Mr. Spinell react when Mr. Kloterjahn enters his room in Chapter 11?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)