|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mr. Spinell react when Mr. Kloterjahn enters his room in Chapter 11?
(a) He blushes.
(b) He faints.
(c) He punches him.
(d) He laughs.
2. Why does Mr. Spinell say that he does not despise Mr. Kloterjahn?
(a) He has no reason to despise him.
(b) Because Mr. Kloterjahn is the stronger of the two men.
(c) Because he cannot despise anyone.
(d) For Gabriele’s sake he cannot.
3. What does Mr. Spinell do when he sees an infant from his window?
(a) He goes down to see him.
(b) He stares at him.
(c) He calls down to him.
(d) He looks away immediately.
4. What is the symptom that indicates Gabriele is worsening in Chapter 9?
(a) A fever.
(b) A sore throat.
(c) She coughs up blood.
(d) Fainting spells.
5. Who arrives at Einfried along with Mr. Kloterjahn and his son?
(a) Gabriele’s father.
(b) A friend of Gabriele’s.
(c) A nursemaid dressed in red and gold.
(d) Gabriele’s favorite horse.
6. According to Mr. Kloterjahn, how does he himself react to women?
(a) He looks them in the face.
(b) He makes them laugh.
(c) He is afraid of them.
(d) He is rude to them.
7. How does Mr. Spinell describe the laughter of the person he sees on his walk?
8. What does Mr. Spinell do while leaving the room after the pianist stops playing in Chapter 8?
(a) He applauds Gabriele’s performance.
(b) He kisses Gabriele.
(c) He bows to Gabriele.
(d) He sinks to his knees in front of Gabriele.
9. What does Mr. Spinell do after hearing the person he sees on his walk laugh in Chapter 12?
(b) Goes to get Mr. Kloterjahn.
(c) Turns and walks away.
(d) Picks up the baby.
10. How does Mr. Spinell confess that he feels about Mr. Kloterjahn and his son?
(a) He loves them.
(b) He is indifferent to them.
(c) He hates them but does not despise them.
(d) He despises them.
11. Where do the people who choose not to participate in the activity Dr. Leander plans go instead?
(a) Mr. Spinell’s bedroom.
(b) The sitting room.
(c) Mrs. Spatz’s bedroom.
(d) Mrs. Kloterjahn’s bedroom.
12. What does Mr. Spinell wish to hear in Chapter 8?
(a) The sleigh bells.
(b) b. Mrs. Kloterjahn’s voice.
13. What is the person that Mr. Spinell sees on his walk doing in Chapter 12?
(b) Laughing with joy.
14. How does Mr. Spinell write?
(a) With humor.
(c) Quickly and easily.
(d) Slowly and with difficulty.
15. Who interrupts Mr. Spinell and the pianist in Chapter 8?
(a) Mrs. Spatz.
(b) Dr. Leander.
(c) Mr. Kloterjahn.
(d) Mrs. Hohlenrauch.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Kloterjahn say he responded to Mr. Spinell’s letter?
2. Where did Gabriele first meet her husband?
3. How is Gabriele’s health by Chapter 7?
4. According to Mr. Kloterjahn, what is the difference between him and Mr. Spinell?
5. When does Gabriele say that she found happiness?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)