|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mr. Kloterjahn going to do when he gets back home?
(a) Order coffee with buttered rolls.
(b) Write a letter in response to Mr. Spinell.
(c) Take a nap.
(d) Consult with his lawyer to find some recourse against Mr. Spinell.
2. What is Mr. Spinell doing in his room in Chapter 10?
(b) Writing a new novel.
(c) Writing a letter.
(d) Talking to himself.
3. What does Mr. Spinell do while leaving the room after the pianist stops playing in Chapter 8?
(a) He applauds Gabriele’s performance.
(b) He kisses Gabriele.
(c) He bows to Gabriele.
(d) He sinks to his knees in front of Gabriele.
4. How does Mr. Spinell feel about the name Kloterjahn?
(a) He hates it.
(b) He thinks it has a musical ring to it.
(c) He thinks it is funny.
(d) He loves it.
5. According to Mr. Spinell, what was Mr. Kloterjahn’s intention upon viewing the scene described in his letter?
(a) To destroy it.
(b) To heighten it.
(c) To possess, consume, and defile it.
(d) To keep it unsullied.
6. Who does Dr. Muller summon to Einfried to see Gabriele?
(a) Her father.
(b) Mr. Kloterjahn alone.
(c) Her previous doctor.
(d) Mr. Kloterjahn and their son.
7. In what way does Mr. Spinell say that Mr. Kloterjahn has defiled Gabriele’s life?
(a) By making her unhappy.
(b) By making her beauty vulgar and commonplace as a mother and housewife.
(c) By making her crass and uncomfortable.
(d) By making her poor.
8. According to Mr. Kloterjahn, how does he himself react to women?
(a) He looks them in the face.
(b) He is rude to them.
(c) He is afraid of them.
(d) He makes them laugh.
9. Where did Gabriele first meet her husband?
(a) At Mr. Kloterjahn’s store.
(b) At the sanitarium.
(c) At her father’s store.
(d) In the garden.
10. How does Mr. Spinell look as at the end of his walk?
(b) Like he can’t wait to get away.
(c) Slow but steady.
(d) Like he is trying to hide the fact that he is running away.
11. What is Mrs. Kloterjahn’s maiden name?
12. What happened to Gabriele, according to Mrs. Spatz?
(a) She has died.
(b) She fell and hurt herself.
(c) She hummed some music, and coughed up a large amount of blood.
(d) She fainted.
13. Who chooses not to participate in the activity Dr. Leander plans?
(a) Dr. Leander and Mr. Kloterjahn.
(b) Mr. Kloterjahn and Mr. Spinell.
(c) Dr. Muller and Dr. Leander.
(d) Mrs. Kloterjahn and Mr. Spinell.
14. What does Mr. Kloterjahn say the girls were really doing in the garden?
(c) Knitting and discussing recipes.
15. What does Mr. Spinell say he can picture on Gabriele’s head?
(a) A tiara.
(b) A crown of flowers.
(c) Her hair in ringlets.
(d) A small golden crown.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mr. Spinell see as he walks in Chapter 12?
2. Why doesn’t Mr. Kloterjahn do what he wants to do to Mr. Spinell in Chapter 11?
3. What does Dr. Leander prescribe Gabriele in Chapter 9?
4. What instrument does Gabriele’s father play?
5. Who interrupts Mr. Kloterjahn and Mr. Spinell in Chapter 11?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)