|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mr. Spinell doing in his room in Chapter 10?
(b) Writing a letter.
(c) Writing a new novel.
(d) Talking to himself.
2. How is Mrs. Kloterjahn's treatment faring by Chapter 7?
(a) She is getting better.
(b) She is on death's door.
(c) She stays the same.
(d) She is getting sicker.
3. How is the person who arrives with Mr. Kloterjahn and his son in Chapter 9 described?
4. How does Mr. Kloterjahn react to the news of what's happened to Gabriele?
(a) He is stunned and silent.
(b) He laughs nervously.
(c) He breaks a vase.
(d) He is distraught and tears come to his eyes.
5. What does Mr. Spinell do while leaving the room after the pianist stops playing in Chapter 8?
(a) He sinks to his knees in front of Gabriele.
(b) He kisses Gabriele.
(c) He applauds Gabriele’s performance.
(d) He bows to Gabriele.
6. What is Mrs. Kloterjahn’s maiden name?
7. What does Mrs. Kloterjahn think of Mr. Spinell?
(a) That he is amusing.
(b) That he is in love with her.
(c) That he is an odd man.
(d) That he is handsome.
8. What does Mr. Spinell do after hearing the person he sees on his walk laugh in Chapter 12?
(a) Picks up the baby.
(b) Goes to get Mr. Kloterjahn.
(c) Turns and walks away.
9. How does Mr. Spinell ultimately convince the person in Chapter 8 to play the piano?
(a) He won’t stop asking, so she gives in to shut him up.
(b) He tells her he will see the golden crown again on her head if she does.
(c) Reverse psychology.
(d) He seems so sad at her refusal that she gives in.
10. What season is it in Chapter 12?
11. How does Mr. Kloterjahn characterize Mr. Spinell’s handwriting?
(b) Too large.
12. Why does the person who interrupts Mr. Kloterjahn and Mr. Spinell in Chapter 11 do so?
(a) Gabriele has taken a turn for the worse.
(b) She wants to borrow a book.
(c) Gabriele is asking for her husband.
(d) Gabriele is asking for Mr. Spinell.
13. How is Dr. Muller described?
(a) Tired and grumpy.
(b) Friendly, personable, and handsome.
(c) Cheerful, with a good bedside manner.
(d) Quiet, pale, insignificant, and melancholy.
14. On what point does Mr. Kloterjahn agree with Mr. Spinell in Chapter 11?
(a) That Mr. Spinell understands Gabriele.
(b) That Mr. Kloterjahn is the stronger of the two men.
(c) That Mr. Kloterjahn is a philistine.
(d) That Gabriele is a romantic figure.
15. Why does the pianist ultimately stop playing in Chapter 8?
(a) She faints.
(b) The sleigh ride returns.
(c) Mr. Spinell gets bored.
(d) Dr. Leander makes her stop.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Spinell feel about the name Kloterjahn?
2. What is Mr. Kloterjahn’s mood after speaking with Mr. Spinell in Chapter 11?
3. Why does Mr. Spinell say that he refers to Mr. Kloterjahn as he does?
4. How does Mr. Spinell initially react to the news of what's happened to Gabriele?
5. What does Mr. Spinell wish to hear in Chapter 8?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)