|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Mrs. Spatz?
(a) A midwife.
(b) The housekeeper.
(c) A magistrate’s wife with a stomach complaint who considers herself Gabriele’s mentor.
(d) The wife of a naval officer, she has a nervous condition.
2. How do the other patients react to Mrs. Kloterjahn?
(a) They will not leave her alone.
(b) They are weary of her.
(c) They like her immediately.
(d) They stay away from her.
3. What happens when a patient dies at the sanitarium?
(a) Patients never die at the sanitarium.
(b) A service is held, attended by all the patients.
(c) Life continues as if nothing has happened.
(d) A memorial is built.
4. What does Mr. Kloterjahn order to eat in Chapter 2?
(a) Tea and bread.
(b) Hot cocoa and scones.
(c) Coffee and buttered rolls.
5. What is Mr. Kloterjahn a connoisseur of?
(a) Fine food and drink.
6. What are some conditions treated at the sanitarium?
(a) Yellow fever, malaria.
(b) Broken bones, sprains.
(c) Heart conditions, rheumatics, paralytics.
7. What does Gabriele think Mr. Spinell’s name is?
8. Why does Mrs. Kloterjahn's doctor recommend she go to Einfried?
(a) For the food.
(b) For the mild climate.
(c) For the fun of it.
(d) For vacation.
9. How many books has the writer written?
10. How does Dr. Leander feel about Mr. Spinell?
(a) He admires him.
(b) He doesn’t like him very much.
(c) He is indifferent to him.
(d) He likes his writing but not the man.
11. What is the one flaw in Mrs. Kloterjahn’s face?
(a) A scar above her eyebrow.
(b) A receding hairline.
(c) A cleft lip.
(d) A pale blue, sickly vein in her forehead.
12. How does Mr. Spinell respond to Gabriele's joke in Chapter 6?
(a) He laughs freely.
(b) He stays silent but bows.
(c) He laughs uncomfortably.
(d) He leaves the room.
13. How is Mr. Kloterjahn described?
(a) Broad-shouldered, red-faced, strong, average height.
(b) Quiet and tactful.
(c) Tall, thin, weak, and funny.
(d) Intelligent, with a discerning eye.
14. What color is Mrs. Kloterjahn’s hair?
(a) Light brown.
(d) Dark brown.
15. How is the Kloterjahns' son described?
(a) Healthy and vigorous.
(b) Pale and sickly.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the one woman Mr. Spinell says he could look at forever?
2. What is the name of the sanitarium?
3. How long does Mr. Kloterjahn stay at Einfried?
4. What did Mrs. Kloterjahn’s former doctor forbid her from doing?
5. What room at Einfried is adjacent to the sitting room?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)