• Einfried, the sanitarium, is introduced.
• Dr. Leander is introduced as the director of the sanitarium.
• He is described as, among other things, “cold and hard.”
• It is noted that Dr. Leander has complete control over his patients who pay large sums of money for his expertise.
• Miss von Osterloh is introduced, and described as busy and conscientious.
• It is also noted that she maintains the hope of one day marrying Dr. Leander.
• Einfried is described as being mainly a sanitarium for patients with lung problems, though Dr. Leander will accept patients with many other types of ailments as well.
• It is explained that occasionally a severely ill patient will die, but that none of the other patients ever hear about it, and life at the sanitarium continues uninterrupted.
• The first reference is made to a writer whose name sounds like that of a type of mineral or...
This section contains 2,176 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)