|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who invites the women to come up to the fire in the beginning of Trifles?
(a) Henry Peters
(b) Dr. Lloyd
(c) George Henderson
(d) Lewis Hale
2. What do the women find in the fancy box in Mrs. Wright’s sewing basket?
(a) A dead parakeet
(b) A tooth
(c) A dead canary
(d) A baby’s slipper
3. What character in the play is based on the real-life figure of Margaret Hossack?
(b) Mrs. Peters
(c) Mrs. Wright
(d) Mrs. Hale
4. What was Mrs. Wright’s name before she got married?
(a) Sarah Anderson
(b) Mary Smith
(c) Minnie Foster
(d) Marie Ross
5. What does Mrs. Hale say was in the Wright home but was not used in the murder?
(a) A gun
(b) An axe
(c) A dagger
(d) A noose
Short Answer Questions
1. What word from the narrative refers to a valley?
2. What kind of pattern do the women see in Mrs. Wright’s sewing in the sewing basket?
3. Mrs. Peters remarks to Mrs. Hale that when she was young, a boy killed her kitten with what?
4. What does Mr. Hale say he is going to town to sell when he stops by the Wrights’ home?
5. In what county is the play set?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Hale do with the stitching on the quilt? What is Mrs. Peters' response?
2. When George Henderson asks if Mrs. Hale and Mrs. Wright had been friends, how does Mrs. Hale reply?
3. What do the two women remark about the birdcage when they discover it?
4. What does Mrs. Hale remark to Mrs. Peters about the lack of children in the home and Mr. Wright's personality?
5. What memory of brutal loss does Mrs. Peters share from her childhood?
6. What indication does Mrs. Wright give in front of Mr. Henderson that Mr. Wright is unpleasant?
7. What does Mrs. Peters say in response to Mrs. Hale berating herself for not visiting Minnie?
8. How is the theme of female loyalty illustrated in the play?
9. What does Mrs. Hale remark to Mrs. Peters about the signs of anger in the Wrights' house?
10. How does Mrs. Peters attempt to maintain objectiveness with Mrs. Hale when she concludes Minnie's innocence?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)