|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mrs. Peters tells Mrs. Hale, “Mr. Henderson said coming out that what was needed for the case was” what?
(b) A weapon
(c) An alibi
(d) A motive
2. Remarks about Mr. Wright indicate that he did not do much of what?
(d) Staying quiet
3. What acts as a symbol of Mrs. Wright’s marriage in the play?
(a) The canary
(b) The bread
(c) The dirty dishes
(d) The birdcage
4. Who does Mr. Hale recall having said, “No, he’s dead all right, and we’d better not touch anything” when he discovered the murder?
(d) Dr. Lloyd
5. Near the end of the play, where does Mrs. Peters attempt to hide the jeweled box?
(a) Her shawl
(b) Her hat
(c) Her handbag
(d) Her coat pocket
Short Answer Questions
1. What word from the narrative refers to a valley?
2. Mrs. Hale tells Mrs. Peters, “If I was you, I wouldn’t tell her” what?
3. What word from the stage directions refers to something that lacks serious content?
4. What does Mr. Hale say he thinks he hears someone say when he knocks a second time on the Wrights’ door?
5. According to Mr. Hale, who arrives to examine Mr. Wright’s body?
Short Essay Questions
1. What comment is made regarding the kitchen before the men depart upstairs? Why is this significant?
2. How does Mrs. Hale defend the suspect's dirty kitchen? What does Mr. Henderson regard this to be?
3. What indication does Mrs. Wright give in front of Mr. Henderson that Mr. Wright is unpleasant?
4. What condescending comments are made of the women as the men first disappear upstairs?
5. What happens after Mr. Hale finishes his story of the previous day's events?
6. When George Henderson asks if Mrs. Hale and Mrs. Wright had been friends, how does Mrs. Hale reply?
7. What causes Mr. Hale to backtrack in his description of Mrs. Wright's demeanor in his interview with the County Attorney?
8. How is the theme of female loyalty illustrated in the play?
9. How do the men in the play respond to Mrs. Wright's worry over her preserves?
10. What is discovered by Mrs. Peters in the stitching of Mrs. Wright's quilt?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)