|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What item does Mrs. Peters say Mrs. Wright had asked for, calling it a funny thing to want in jail?
(a) A petticoat
(b) An apron
(c) A bonnet
(d) A winter coat
2. According to Mrs. Peters, who says it looks “bad for” Mrs. Wright?
(a) Henry Peters
(b) Lewis Hale
(c) Dr. Lloyd
(d) George Henderson
3. What type of pet does Mrs. Peters say Mrs. Wright was afraid of?
4. The County Attorney remarks that Mrs. Wright did not have what instinct?
(a) The money-saving instinct
(b) The designer instinct
(c) The child birthing instinct
(d) The homemaking instinct
5. George Henderson remarks to the Sheriff that there is “[n]o sign at all of anyone having” what?
(a) Murdered John Wright
(b) Called the home first
(c) Injured the doors
(d) Come from the outside
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mr. Hale’s companion go to use the telephone after discovering Mr. Wright’s body?
2. What characters are described as "men in middle life"?
3. According to Mrs. Peters, where is Mrs. Wright’s shawl always hung?
4. Of what does Mrs. Peters say, “They’re superstitious, you know. They leave”?
5. Remarks about Mr. Wright indicate that he did not do much of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Hale begin doing once the men exit to investigate upstairs? What does she discover in the kitchen?
2. When does Mrs. Hale ask Mrs. Peters her opinion on the guilt of Mrs. Wright? What is her reply?
3. What comment is made regarding the kitchen before the men depart upstairs? Why is this significant?
4. How does Trifles reflect women’s roles during Susan Glaspell’s lifetime?
5. How is the theme of female loyalty illustrated in the play?
6. What do the two women remark about the birdcage when they discover it?
7. What is strange about the choice of weapon used in the murder? What do the women remark about it?
8. What memory of brutal loss does Mrs. Peters share from her childhood?
9. What condescending comments are made of the women as the men first disappear upstairs?
10. What does Mrs. Hale remark to Mrs. Peters about the signs of anger in the Wrights' house?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)